As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Alley[chat] Blues

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I mean she looks attractive enough, but to say that people are getting real therapy from her is laughable. Shit you could probably get better therapy from banging a craiglist hooker and cheaper too.

I'm not convinced that there is an appreciable difference in benefit to someone between talking to an actual therapist and talking to someone who is a good listener.

A good listener wouldn't have helped me nearly as well as EMDR has helped me with my PTSD.

EMDR is so weird. It seems so pseudoscientific on its surface but it works.

Yep, I was skeptical at first but my therapist pointed me to a bunch of meta-analyses of it and while they can't seem to explain it, it has comparable success rates to SSRI and straight talk therapy treatments. For me, my course of treatment is Talk therapy, EMDR, and group therapy. It's been effective enough that I've been able to avoid going back on SSRIs.

Thomamelas on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    quick i need someone who is vegetarian/vegan or just vegetarian/vegan friendly to high five me over how awesome this recipe sounds

no haters please

Arch on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Arch wrote: »
    EMDR does really sound like pseudoscience on the surface

someone who knows more about it give me a better general overview

Of how it works? Or what a session feels like? Or what?

Thomamelas on
    edited March 2011

yes

Arch on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Arch I would probably de-veganize it but it actually looks like it could be good. I would just use normal cheese and probably eggs.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited March 2011
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Actually directing the conversation is part of that whole therapy thing, so it is more than just being a good listener. You have to know what questions to ask and direct people to certain realizations and conclusions.

The core technique in CBT is something called 'challenging,' it's basically getting the client to look at their assumptions and behavior patterns and emotions with a critical eye and offer counterpoints. It's not hard, it's pretty intuitive, and the only difficult part for the therapist is choosing your battles. You don't want to challenge so much that you alienate the patient, you don't want to challenge so little that you validate their unhealthy habits, and you want to challenge the ideas/behaviors/feelings that are relevant. You also want to help them build up healthy cognition and behaviors, but don't want to inadvertently substitute your own biases in place of the client's.

There are other techniques, of course, but CBT is largely centered around that model.

And it's not rocket science.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    quick i need someone who is vegetarian/vegan or just vegetarian/vegan friendly to high five me over how awesome this recipe sounds

no haters please

I wish I could but I don't like cooked oranges. And 'tofu scramble' sounds terrible.

Still, not hating. If you like it, huzzah for you. :^:

Passerbye on
    edited March 2011
    Arch I would probably de-veganize it but it actually looks like it could be good. I would just use normal cheese and probably eggs.

no de-veganizing ray plz

Arch on
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man, I make a Warhammer 40k reference and nothing. Are you not nerds?

Passerbye on
    edited March 2011
    Passerbye wrote: »

no haters please

I wish I could but I don't like cooked oranges. And 'tofu scramble' sounds terrible.

Still, not hating. If you like it, huzzah for you. :^:

such a hater

:P

Arch on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

I am not a GW nerd, sorry. :(

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I mean she looks attractive enough, but to say that people are getting real therapy from her is laughable. Shit you could probably get better therapy from banging a craiglist hooker and cheaper too.

I'm not convinced that there is an appreciable difference in benefit to someone between talking to an actual therapist and talking to someone who is a good listener.

A good listener wouldn't have helped me nearly as well as EMDR has helped me with my PTSD.

Yep, I was skeptical at first but my therapist pointed me to a bunch of meta-analyses of it and while they can't seem to explain it, it has comparable success rates to SSRI and straight talk therapy treatments. For me, my course of treatment is Talk therapy, EMDR, and group therapy. It's been effective enough that I've been able to avoid going back on SSRIs.

Eh, even if all of the theoretical basis is bullshit it's possible that it is just very effectively utilizes the placebo effect, like it generates a lot of confidence due to some combination of plausibility, the appearance of a strong scientific basis, and the subject's own perception of being treated.

Winky on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I agree Feral, it isn't rocket science but I think it does take some training and experience to get to the point where you help people.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011

no haters please

I am an opportunistic omnivore, do I meet your qualifications?
    I don't like cooked oranges either but I'd substitute something and eat the hell out of that :P

Shivahn on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

40K is visible but obscured by its cost and so is relatively niche compared to standard nerdery.

Incenjucar on
    edited March 2011

yes

The Wikipedia article can do a better job. As to why it works, the real answer is "Damned if we know". The theory as it's been explained to me is that for some trauma victims, the stress and emotion causes memories to not integrate correctly. So we fixate on them. The eye movement/body movement along with the counseling is supposed to give us an environment we can integrate the memory.

Thomamelas on
    edited March 2011

I am not a GW nerd, sorry. :(

I'm not so much either, I just like the Dark Heresy game I've been playing.

Still, </3.

Passerbye on
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Actually directing the conversation is part of that whole therapy thing, so it is more than just being a good listener. You have to know what questions to ask and direct people to certain realizations and conclusions.

The core technique in CBT is something called 'challenging,' it's basically getting the client to look at their assumptions and behavior patterns and emotions with a critical eye and offer counterpoints. It's not hard, it's pretty intuitive, and the only difficult part for the therapist is choosing your battles. You don't want to challenge so much that you alienate the patient, you don't want to challenge so little that you validate their unhealthy habits, and you want to challenge the ideas/behaviors/feelings that are relevant. You also want to help them build up healthy cognition and behaviors, but don't want to inadvertently substitute your own biases in place of the client's.

There are other techniques, of course, but CBT is largely centered around that model.

And it's not rocket science.

This is basically what I do naturally when I talk to people about their problems :P.

God I have used it so much talking to my ex-girlfriend.

Winky on
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7FAwT_As2s

NSFW language

also hilarious

MikeMan on
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I say it's all just wind in sails.

Lawndart on
    edited March 2011
    Lawndart wrote: »

:?:

Passerbye on
    edited March 2011
    I agree Feral, it isn't rocket science but I think it does take some training and experience to get to the point where you help people.

Yeah, the experience helps. That's why counseling psych programs are leaning more and more towards supervised internships and less towards classroom learning. That way you get in there and start working with clients right away, which is what novice therapists really need.

Feral on

• MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    it's not rocket surgery

MikeMan on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    MY ROOM IS CLEAN...ish..

I still have a pile of clothes to put away but no room in my closet for them all.

:sigh:

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    edited March 2011
    waitwaitwait

the 3ds can watch netflix????

Arch on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've been playing counselor since I was in grade school. For my parents, my friends, and occasionally random people who broke down near me.

Years later the irony is not lost on me.

Incenjucar on
    edited March 2011
    I'm also a big proponent on continued learning. Instead of front-loading peoples' education in their 20s, we should be getting people out there and working and returning to the classroom every 2-3 years to keep abreast of the basics and learn about new developments.

I feel this way about medical practitioners too, BTW.

Feral on

edited March 2011

Eh, even if all of the theoretical basis is bullshit it's possible that it is just very effectively utilizes the placebo effect, like it generates a lot of confidence due to some combination of plausibility, the appearance of a strong scientific basis, and the subject's own perception of being treated.

There have been some comparison studies that have looked at outcomes of EMDR verse pill placebo and EMDR does significantly better.

Thomamelas on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i have been listening to the all songs considered 24/7 stream and right now they are playing the latest podcast where they were dicussing the 90s

and are playing things like

nirvana
    radiohead
    lauryn hill
    collective soul - as an example of something ... scrungy

its amusing

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited March 2011
    they just sold a system, pretty much

Arch on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

The wiki entry is an interesting read.

TL DR on
    edited March 2011
    I'm also a big proponent on continued learning. Instead of front-loading peoples' education in their 20s, we should be getting people out there and working and returning to the classroom every 2-3 years to keep abreast of the basics and learn about new developments.

I feel this way about medical practitioners too, BTW.

i feel this way about

well everything ever

Arch on
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Lawndart wrote: »

:?:

To explain an obscure reference.

Lawndart on
    edited March 2011
    I'd love to see a study of EMDR vs. sham-EMDR one of these days.

I don't know if such a thing has been done yet.

Feral on

edited March 2011
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    And I still need to get to buying new clothes too ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHH.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    edited March 2011
    I'd love to see a study of EMDR vs. sham-EMDR one of these days.

I don't know if such a thing has been done yet.

I know it's been tested against pill placebo and straight talk therapy and come out ahead in terms of effectiveness.

Thomamelas on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm not sold on the presentation

or the idea of eating breakfast

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    so it turns out that 7 or 8 Tums in 18 hours will do wonders for constipation

unfortunately, I wasn't constipated

Captain Carrot on
This discussion has been closed.