As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Today in Space: Sun explodes, NASA takes pictures

• Options
    ACSISACSIS Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    ACSIS is the "little green men" guy - or, as in this case "little green microbes" (or red algae... lichen... whatever), the one who dares to ask: "and what evidence do we have that those structures are of human origin?". Thats completely sufficient: i get enough flak already, there is really no need to stick me in the conspiracy corner as well.

ACSIS on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    ACSIS wrote:
    TheStig wrote:
    because time is cyclical

Because genetic material from space in conjunction with adaptive evolution compliments microevolution well and eliminates many problems of the darwinian model of evolution, and the evidence in favour keeps mounting. All the top NASA and ESA missions are astrobiology missions and interest in life suited to extreme environments catches incresing interest. Naysayers may find the door is closing on them rapidly.

Of course... when the view on the world changes its always difficult. There will always those who are more comfortable with a flat earth because they are afraid of change, even if it means ignoring solid evidence.

...what?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    I'd recommend (if you are interested) you read up on HGT (horizontal gene transfer).

There was an expermient because of microbical radiation resistance. Some scientists argued it might be a byproduct of low temperture resistance.

So they bombarded microbes with radiation and froze them to determine wehter there is a difference or not in the two mechanics. There is, but thats not the point, the point is the rapid adaptation of the microbes to radiation AND cold, depending on what you exposed the samples to.

This doesn't really fit in the slow, try and error process the darwin model proposes. Of course nobody denies microevolution but there seems to be more that one mechanic at work.

The microbes changed entire sequences to develop the traits neccesarily to survive during the experiment. Microbes "share" genes, and they share it with anyone - not just one species. This is active genetic engineering and not just chance at work here.

Now the question remains where the gene sequences come from, because those seem to turn up from nowhere. One theory is that genetic sequences are contaminating earth by asteroid impact, cosmic dust particles and even solar sailing microbes.

Pretty radical to suggest "simple" organisms are able not only to actively share and engineer genetic sequences but also cross the vastness of space in search for habitable environments.

In 1981, Frank Tipler put forth an argument that extraterrestrial intelligences do not exist, based on the absence of von Neumann probes. Given even a moderate rate of replication and the history of the galaxy, such probes should already be common throughout space and thus, we should have already encountered them. Because we have not, this shows that extraterrestrial intelligences do not exist. This is thus a resolution to the Fermi paradox—that is, the question of why we have not already encountered extraterrestrial intelligence if it is common throughout the universe.

Maybe... there are von Neumann "probes". Maybe they are not "probes" but have a more active mission. And maybe they are around for so long we have mistaken them for something simple and garanted. But self replication and travelling the cosmos are NOT easy tasks. Maybe spaceships are impractical. Maybe there is a better solution. And maybe this solution is genetic.

Of course thats just a hypotesis... for now.

ACSIS on
  • Options
    FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    its not even about what you believe deserves investigation or conversation. it is about people wanting to use other people as punching bags. Some of the people on this forum have obviously been picked on and bullied and have never developed the character to rise above it. instead they repeat the pattern with them as the abusive bully.

instead of using science as a method to refine models of the universe they use it to form part of their identity and woe to anyone who might challenge their map of reality no matter how technically rendered the map might be.

science and its methods are tools. you don't often see carpenters or car mechanics who constitute most of their identity out of their professions but once you start to deal with people who make their living off of science (or religion) you get to encounter many vain people who can't separate themselves from what they do for money.

your critics here and elsewhere on the forums are often the same people who seem to enjoy heaping insults and rudeness on strangers for any perceived slight. putting forth any evidence that their belief system is not the only valid one in existence is always going to elicit attacks. the fact that they can't dismiss you as uneducated forces them to strawman you into the conspiracy camp.

Foolproof on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    ACSIS wrote:
    I' recommend (if you are interested) you read up on HGT (horizontal gene transfer).

what does that have to do with time being cyclical?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Foolproof wrote:
    their identity out of their professions but once you start to deal with people who make their living off of science (or religion) you get to encounter many vain people who can't separate themselves from what they do for money.

your critics here and elsewhere on the forums are often the same people who seem to enjoy heaping insults and rudeness on strangers for any perceived slight. putting forth any evidence that their belief system is not the only valid one in existence is always going to elicit attacks. the fact that they can't dismiss you as uneducated forces them to strawman you into the conspiracy camp.
    Well... that is not the entire story. Its part of it for sure but the relationship is somewhat symbiotic. I take the flak, of course. But i also take its momentum and i also see wich parts are the weakest. Some more or less willingly became driving force of an evalution process i value.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    ACSIS, did you quote the wrong person? Because The Stig didn't say boo to you, about you, or your post. He was clearly following on with a light hearted quip in response Foolproof's post. And it kinda looks like you're either ranting in paranoid delusion, or have an inability to parse information within the context of the medium and social environment that it's posted in. Neither of which does your credibility any good.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    heh, it's always amusing when acsis and foolproof start going full nutjob on each other

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    But they're doing it right on the carpet!

• Options
    that carpeting was already ruined from them pooping all over it

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    well what a relief, for awhile there I didn't think this thread had enough smugness in it.

• Options
    the smugness was inside you all along foolproof, all you needed to do was believe in your own stupidity!

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    what? you want to put your smugness inside me? no thanks, I'm not really turned on by old dudes.

• Options
    eww no, I'm really turned off by willful ignorance so it would never work

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    The SDO is one of my favorite things.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Artreus wrote:
    The SDO is one of my favorite things.

if we get a really dangerous solar ejection having the SDO system in place will save many thousands of lives. It might even convince people how important space exploration and exploitation is to humanity's present and future.

Foolproof on
  • Options
    CMEs don't really pose a threat to humans. They're really just a risk for electrical equipment.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Druhim wrote:
    CMEs don't really pose a threat to humans. They're really just a risk for electrical equipment.

like the equipment that keeps airplanes from crashing?

Foolproof on
  • Options
    No, not really. That equipment is both shielded and is operating in earth's atmosphere which is well inside the magnetosphere which deflects most of the energy. Nice try, but it would help if you knew what you were talking about.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Uh excuse me Dru, you are going to be eating your words when we get a massive solar flare just as the Earth's magnetic field is dying out because the core stopped moving.

Thousands of people will just drop dead and pigeons will go crazy. Also bridges will snap in half.

I know this because I saw it in a documentary.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Druhim wrote:
    No, not really. That equipment is both shielded and is operating in earth's atmosphere which is well inside the magnetosphere which deflects most of the energy. Nice try, but it would help if you knew what you were talking about.

wow, I guess you showed me. good thing I have a built in pumice stone for dry, cracked, and chapped heels.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    still completely paranoid, eh, Foolproof?

haven't gone to a doctor yet or anything?

• Options
    MrMonroe wrote:
    still completely paranoid, eh, Foolproof?

haven't gone to a doctor yet or anything?

paranoid? what gives you that idea? do I disturb you so much that you have to convince yourself I'm the crazy one? if so i apologize, there is nothing to be gained by remaining in fear my friend.

• Options
    It's cute that he has to imagine that you're disturbed by him to the point that you have to imagine he's paranoid. As opposed to concluding that from his paranoid ramblings. And Art, the world already ended dude we're all just being used as meat batteries by the machine overlords and this "reality" is just a fantasy they created for us. I saw it in a movie also dude.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    no, you don't really disturb me at all

it's just that you constantly espouse, shall we say, highly... unconventional theories for which you have, at the best of times, only the merest slivers of evidence and usually nothing more than an unsupported hypothesis

and then when you get called on that fact you insinuate that it is in fact everyone else who is part of some sort of accidental conspiracy of narrow-mindedness that prevents them from seeing the truth and explains their constant attacks on your theories which you interpret as attacks on your person

it's pretty much classic paranoid behavior

• Options
    well that is quite some flight of fancy you just went on. you shouldn't waste all that energy projecting mental illness on other people when you could just try to grasp that the whole world is mad. a fool who knows he is a fool can become wise, maybe someday you'll get there, keep trying sport.

maybe part of the reason you misunderstand me is that you take ever bit of conjecture as me presenting a theory.

• Options
    ok well you're not a client and I don't have any responsibilities to advance your interests so I'm just gonna

33za4he.jpg

• Options
    edited July 2011
    isn't it common for mentally ill people to pretend they are doctors?

Foolproof on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

Foolproof wrote:
    well that is quite some flight of fancy you just went on. you shouldn't waste all that energy projecting mental illness on other people when you could just try to grasp that the whole world is mad. a fool who knows he is a fool can become wise, maybe someday you'll get there, keep trying sport.

maybe part of the reason you misunderstand me is that you take ever bit of conjecture as me presenting a theory.

nah

you've just got brain problems, dude

• Options
    I don't think mr Monroe is claiming to be a doctor

• Options
    Slacker71Slacker71 subgenius RentonRegistered User regular
    He's just claiming to be Pilot, washing his hands, or that character from that Scottish play.

• Options
    Lady Macbeth?

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    everybody shut up and look at this mission patch
    tumblr_log406qZ5z1r01wjgo1_400.jpg

• Options
    ASTRONAUTS

ROLL OUT

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Slacker71 wrote:
    He's just claiming to be Pilot, washing his hands, or that character from that Scottish play.

You're not in a theater, you can say it
    Macbeth

It's called Macbeth

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote:

Holy shit

• Options
    Antimatter wrote:

baller

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    UnderwhelmingUnderwhelming myMomIsTheJam July 13, 2013 Registered User regular
    Foolproof wrote:
    isn't it common for mentally ill people to pretend they are doctors?

You've got too much Palaniuk in your diet.

Also, thinking about how massive the ocean is terrifies me. This talk about the scale of the universe has got to stop.

So get with the stoppin'.

• Options
    CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    If they actually cancel the JWST, I will be so pissed.

penguins.png