As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Comic Book Questions Thread International. Of America.

• Options
    KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    Reading issue #0 of Justice League of America Vol.2 and so far, it's pretty damn good. I'm interested in everyone else's opinion's on Vol.2, now that it finished a few months ago.

Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Meltzer's run was really, really boring

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Just don't even bother reading that volume

• Options
    keith you're making me bring my standards into question

TWITTER TWATS
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i think this is likely going to be a case of different strokes for different folks

I mean, you didn't like that one Avengers run that everyone else liked, right?

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Look it was just terrible-to-mediocre writing and awful art for the entire volume

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Antimatter wrote:
    i think this is likely going to be a case of different strokes for different folks

I dunno. I HATE to dislike something that I want to like, I feel like I'll give it another chance soon.

KING LITERATE on
    TWITTER TWATS
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Just so I know, what IS a good volume of Justice League to read?

KING LITERATE on
    TWITTER TWATS
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    If you like the #0 issue, you might like the rest of that JLA series, so at least give the first trade a shot.

But JLA: New World Order is the start of the most widely loved JLA run.

• Options
    So JLA Vol.1, got it.

And I'm liking JLOA Vol.2 for the most part. But just to feed my insecurities, is the general consensus around here "JLOA Vol.2 is bad", or is it only just a few?

TWITTER TWATS
  • Options
    The general consensus is that is is bad, yes

some people liked it after Robinson took over, but Meltzer's run is pretty much poop

if you like it, more power to you

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I have a question. I just got Batman and the Monster Men and it's pretty awesome, which made me curious about what Matt Wagner's up to recently. According to Wikipedia, it doesn't look like he's done much since then except write Madame Xanadu from 08-10. Did something happen to turn him off of mainstream comics? Anybody know?

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    I have a question. I just got Batman and the Monster Men and it's pretty awesome, which made me curious about what Matt Wagner's up to recently. According to Wikipedia, it doesn't look like he's done much since then except write Madame Xanadu from 08-10. Did something happen to turn him off of mainstream comics? Anybody know?
    http://www.mattwagnercomics.com/bibliography.html
    September 2011:
    Green Hornet: Year One (2010) #12
    Green Hornet: Year One (2010) #12 (Francesco Francavilla Variant)
    Zorro Rides Again (2011) #3

October 2011:
    The CBLDF Presents Liberty Annual (2010) Annual 2011
    The CBLDF Presents Liberty Annual (2010) Annual 2011 (Buy Speech! Cover)
    The CBLDF Presents Liberty Annual (2010) Annual 2011 (Frank Quitely Sketch Cover)
    Zorro Rides Again (2011) #4

November 2011:
    The Justice League of America 100 Project (2011) Artbook
    The Sandman (1989) Absolute Edition vol. 05
    Zorro Rides Again (2011) #5

December 2011:
    Zorro Rides Again (2011) #6

January 2012:
    Zorro Rides Again (2011) #7

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Bah.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote:

I dunno. I HATE to dislike something that I want to like, I feel like I'll give it another chance soon.

I was cool with Meltzer's run too. It wasn't my favorite book, but I think I just enjoy the way he focuses on characterization and voice. It's true that there's a lot of problems with pacing, and the idea of the trinity throwing around headshots, and sad robots. But I still liked it better than what I've read of James Robinson's JLA.

• Options
    RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Just so I know, what IS a good volume of Justice League to read?

JLA: Year One

RedDelicious on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote:
    If you like the #0 issue, you might like the rest of that JLA series, so at least give the first trade a shot.

Yeah that is the best JLA run right there

Some of Morrison's best work, I think

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Is Ghost Rider still good? I am reading my Jason Aaron Ghost Rider omnibus, excellent.

Is there an omnibus for Aaron's Wolverine run yet?

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Is Ghost Rider still good? I am reading my Jason Aaron Ghost Rider omnibus, excellent.

There is kind of!

Sort of!

http://www.amazon.com/Wolverine-Vol-1-Jason-Aaron/dp/0785156399/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325874678&sr=8-1

It only covers up to the end of Weapon X, but since it's "Vol 1," I assume the new stuff will be collected into another volume at some point.

• Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular

following aaron's GR run was always gonna be a hard job and unfortunately the lady ghost rider stuff falls pretty short. the whole thing was a pointless gimmick and neither the stories nor the art have been sufficient to elevate it. shame too as william's daken run could easily have gone the same way after way/ liu, but managed to hold it's own.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote:

There is kind of!

Sort of!

http://www.amazon.com/Wolverine-Vol-1-Jason-Aaron/dp/0785156399/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325874678&sr=8-1

It only covers up to the end of Weapon X, but since it's "Vol 1," I assume the new stuff will be collected into another volume at some point.

It's still a pretty darn hefty volume, though. It's packed full of great stuff.

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    I'm putting together a massive comic box for a friend of mine deployed to Afghanistan right now. In his "real" job, he's a police officer, and I'm looking at police-oriented comics. So far I've got complete runs of Top 10, Powers (except for the latest Marvel volume), Gotham Central, and District X to send. I'm looking for comics that have at least some sort of superpower/meta twist, not straight up cop stories. Any other suggestions?

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    The Cross Bronx by Oeming

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Stormwatch PHD
    the old Nightwing series had Dick become a police officer which ran for a good while, that started with issue #31 I think all the way up to whenever Devin Grayson messed everything up, in the #90's or so.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Chew! ( altho he's more a detective, but it's definitely got a superpower twist)

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    The Madrox miniseries is pretty great and is very pulp/detective

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Hey there GV. Got a really difficult question that's been on my mind for a minute now, maybe you can help me: What the fuck is wrong with Jim Krueger?....

KING LITERATE on
    TWITTER TWATS
  • Options
    LorctheOrcLorctheOrc Registered User regular
    Solar wrote:
    TexiKen wrote:

Morrison's best work

FTFY

• Options
    LorctheOrc wrote:
    Solar wrote:
    TexiKen wrote:

Morrison's best work

FTFY

FYYFF

• Options
    Solar wrote:
    LorctheOrc wrote:
    Solar wrote:
    TexiKen wrote:

Morrison's best work

FTFY

FYYFF

I don't know what this means.

• Options
    LorctheOrc wrote:
    Solar wrote:
    LorctheOrc wrote:
    Solar wrote:
    TexiKen wrote:

Morrison's best work

FTFY

FYYFF

I don't know what this means.

You first then

• Options
    Fixed that for you.

• Options
    Ah, that would make sense.

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Here's a comic book question for you:

Am I buying too many comic books?

I only recently got back into comic books in September, after I heard about the X-Men shake-up, new Hulk and the DC's New 52. This week, I finally got around to getting my collection bagged and boarded and I was surprised that the 100 pack of each was only enough for maybe two thirds of my comic books. I can only guess at how much I've actually spent.

I thought I might be able to prune my pull list down by now, but I keep picking up new titles.

Man of the Waves on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular

I only recently got back into comic books in September, after I heard about the X-Men shake-up, new Hulk and the DC's New 52. This week, I finally got around to getting my collection bagged and boarded and I was surprised that the 100 pack of each was only enough for maybe two thirds of my comic books. I can only guess at how much I've actually spent.

I thought I might be able to prune my pull list down by now, but I keep picking up new titles.

I have the exact same issue. Here's the question: can you afford it/are you enjoying what you're reading? If yes, who gives a shit?

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    New question. Should I read my last few issues from this week in class and risk laughing out loud?

Luckily it is literature and sexuality, so being caught with Batwoman on my hands would be on-topic!

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Sure, go for it

I take comics into class often and sit reading them during short breaks

• Options
    Arivia wrote:

I have the exact same issue. Here's the question: can you afford it/are you enjoying what you're reading? If yes, who gives a shit?

For me, my comics reading decisions rest on how much I am willing to spend. I have mulled it over, and decided I am comfortable where I am.

I think that if you're asking the question, then that's probably your answer.

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    There are definitely titles that I enjoy more than others, the reasons why are sometimes inexplicable.

I might like one title for arbitrary reasons, but I won't know until I try it out.

Unfortunately, I have a somewhat compulsive need to find out where the story goes, which is probably why I have a hard time putting down any title I'm already more than one book in to.

As far as budgetary concerns go, it is why I stopped reading comics when I was a kid (I chose to buy CDs instead). I can easily afford it now, but do I want to spend 300 bucks a month on comic books. Also, I opened the ebay pandora box to get a hold of back issues that I missed out on (such as X-Force), which I was trying to avoid.

I should probably come up with some sort of metric to raise my comic purchasing standards.

Man of the Waves on
  • Options
    I probably could, too, but I hate spending $45ish a month.

I wish Marvel DCU was more comprehensive, and that would at least solve the problem of hunting and storing back issues.