As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Comic Book Questions Thread International. Of America.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If you are wanting to get into current Spider-Man(which is a good idea because it is fantastic) I would say skip the JMS run and start at Brand New Day.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Current Spider-Man would be Big Time though.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yes but it isn't collected and a lot of the characters and elements in Big Time were introduced in Brand New Day

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, but a lot of BND is drawn out and the stories aren't critical. The first arc of BND, New Ways to Die and then The Gauntlet would be all you need from ASM - the rest wasn't that great.

edit. And then of course the first trade for Big Time since it's effing awesome.

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Gez wrote: »
    Wildcat wrote: »

1) I'm going to go ahead and say that JMS' run was pretty good, though a lot of people dislike the themes he was bringing in.

What are you refering to when you say JMS? Is it this?

Amazing Spider-Man By JMS Ultimate Collection Book 1
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazing-Spider-Man-Ultimate-Collection-Book/dp/0785138935/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1301005767&sr=1-5

By the looks of it it includes Spiderman Coming home? Or have i got that wrong?

Yeah, that's the one.

Blank, he didn't specifically say he was looking for the latest Spidey, just 'modern' stories so I suggested where I started. :)

Wildcat on
  • Options
    GezGez Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    OK i will go Amazing Spider-Man By JMS Ultimate Collection Book 1 and Green Lantern Rebirth for now. Those Flash, Ironman and Deadpool comics are fairly expensive.

Might go Batman Year 100 or something to top it off.

Gez on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Gez wrote: »
    OK i will go Amazing Spider-Man By JMS Ultimate Collection Book 1 and Green Lantern Rebirth for now. Those Flash, Ironman and Deadpool comics are fairly expensive.

Might go Batman Year 100 or something to top it off.

Just read the whole "I'm new to comics" sticky thread... you'll be good for a long time.

Hensler on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've been in a Star Wars mood lately and I was thinking of ordering a couple Star Wars graphic novels off of Amazon. Anyone have any recommendations for some of the best? I have never read any SW comics at all, so anything is fair game. Any era, any book. I'm just looking for the best. I'll probably be ordering 2 or 3 TPBs when I make my decision.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    This is for anyone who jumped in on the ten buck commission Ryan Dunlavey did a month back, has anyone seen their request yet?. I don't know if he's going in a random order or first in first out.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    No, I haven't seen mine and I think I was quite close to the start.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I put in for one like immediately after it opened up, don't see mine yet either.

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Ok that's good (I guess?), I threw my hat into the ring about 10 minutes after he opened up the sale.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So....I need to unload about 20 years worth of collected comics. I'm in the midst of a messy divorce (wife is schizophrenic), and I need to raise some more money to pay for my expensive-as-hell lawyer.

Any advice on how I can unload these comics quickly?
    Also, any advice as to how I can unload these comics as profitably as possible?

I don't have too many high priced comics. Maybe the top one is the first Batman: Year One comic by Frank Miller. And a Superman #2. Oh, and I have an unnatural obsession with Marvel's 2099 line, and I have most of those.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You'll have the most luck selling off full/near-to-full runs of stuff. If you have most of a series, but are missing a few issues, see if you can find them on the cheap, complete the run, and then just eBay the lot of it.

Comic shops won't pay dick for anything, as they usually have enough crap cluttering their floor, and any other method of selling them will probably be slow and tedious.

Best of luck.

Munch on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Are comics worth anything at all? Maybe you could try selling full runs of titles, or story arcs or something, on Ebay. I bought some comics that way. Maybe set the price at a dollar an issue, and see if anyone bids on it.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Gouge them on shipping and handling.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    GreyHunter316GreyHunter316 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This is kind of a weird question, but I am currently looking for where I want to take my education after I'm done with a 2-year community college, and I found this place and I want to find out if it's actually legit, or if I'd be better off just going to a regular art school.

http://kubertschool.edu/index.html

GreyHunter316 on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The Kubert School is legit - I think its been around for almost 30 years or so. Rag Morales was a Kubert school grad, for example.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    GreyHunter316GreyHunter316 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Thanks, I found it and it's programs really grabbed my interest, but my dad is really skeptical of stuff like this, so he's making me research every bit of it.

GreyHunter316 on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Kubert_School_of_Cartoon_and_Graphic_Art

You've probably already read the wiki, but just in case!

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What site would people recommend for finding out the value of single issue comics?

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    mycomicshop.com will give you a good idea, series/full runs will sell better on ebay and shipping can help get back some costs. Unless the issue is particularly notable, they won't sell more than cover price. For example ASM #36 was the Sept. 11 issue, so that fetches more if it's in NM condition (like $20-30), while ASM #35 goes for like $2.99

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hey, just wanted to remind you guys that May 7th is Free Comic Book Day!

To my fellow New Yorkers, I recommend going to Midtown Comics (if you're only going to go to one store). They generally give a big, fat package of 30-40 comics, usually containing every FCBD-branded comic, and often some other stuff. I've only tried this at the Times Square location, but I assume that the Grand Central and Downtown locations do the same thing.

(My own route on that day starts at Midtown Comics, then goes down to Jim Hanley's Universe, and ends at Manhattan Comics [formerly Cosmic Comics]. Although, Manhattan Comics is under new ownership, so I don't know what they'll do for FCBD this year.)

Delduwath on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Huh. I really meant to put this in the news thread. Way to be attentive, Delduwath.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I live right by Cosmic but I go to Midtown, what do they usually do there?

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    http://www.freecomicbookday.com/comics.asp

Atomic Robo and Baltimore + Criminal Macabre are the only things that interest me. It doesn't really matter though, there are no comic stores for hours, and I have to work that day!

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I live right by Cosmic but I go to Midtown, what do they usually do there?

Well, I can tell you what Cosmic did - they changed owners a couple of months ago, apparently (and transformed into Manhattan Comics), so I don't know what they'll do this year.

In previous years, they had multiple piles of comics books by the back wall (the one with the giant window). There were several FCBD-branded comics there, but there were also some old, non-FCBD comics (I'm guessing they were trying to get rid of old stock). You'd pick something like 7-10 comics (I don't remember the exact number, but it's in that range) from this selection, and that's that.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    http://www.freecomicbookday.com/comics.asp

Atomic Robo and Baltimore + Criminal Macabre are the only things that interest me. It doesn't really matter though, there are no comic stores for hours, and I have to work that day!

To be honest, the big-name comics are almost never the things that appeal to me about FCBD. I already know about Thor. I know what Batman's deal is. They are generally fun reads, but fairly disposable.

Then there's the middle tier, where you have things like Atomic Robo, Bongo Comics, and so on. Those are almost always worth my time. Atomic Robo is always amazing, obviously; the Simpsons comics from Bongo tend to be good. Oh, and then there's Owly! Owly is awesome! It will melt anyone's heart!

Then there's the real treasure: no-name, batshit, off-the-wall comics. Sometimes these come in the form of FCBD-branded anthologies that have a dozen comics, where each is a couple of pages each. Often, they aren't event FCBD-branded, but either old stock or weird indie comics that the store slips into the FCBD pack. Usually, this is where I have the most fun. These tend to be either really bad (to the point that I can't even finish them), or really good. This is where I get comics with unreliable narrators, comics that are made as collages, comics that read like Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol at its craziest, and so on. Why, there was even a comic that was basically "Waiting for Godot" (it actually quoted the text word-for-word), only Vladimir and Estragon took the form of two college-aged homeless girls who seemed to be transported from set to set as if by magic (it was fucking awful).

Delduwath on
  • Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Couple of questions for a school librarian friend of mine. I'm going to be doing my own search in the next couple of days for all of this, but I thought I'd ask here first, since you guys seem to know a bit.

First thing - what are some good graphic novels for 14 year olds? She already has Ultimate Spider-man, Spider-man Blue, Young Justice, and a ton of manga. I already suggested at least the first series of Runaways and Spider-man Loves Mary Jane. I remember finding a blog a few years back that had excellent suggestions in this realm, and I'd love to find that again. Personal recommendations are also welcome!

Second thing - Both of us are sure we've seen some study done before that shows reading comics really helps ESL students get a better handle on English, which she could use to get some more grant money for her fledgling graphic novel section. Has anyone seen a good scholarly link to that study?

Lord Palington on
    SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    For your first question:

Superman: Birthright
    Thor: Mighty Avengers
    Mini Marvels Ultimate Collection
    X-Men First Class
    Grant Morrison's JLA
    Astro City
    Blue Beetle

For your second question, here is what Diamond Distributors has to say about ESL and comics, and here is a thesis from the ERIC about ESL and comics

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I can only answer the first question. Thor: The Mighty Avenger is great and all-ages, the most recent Blue Beetle (starring Jaime Reyes) is the best teen comic in ages, Gravity is the second-best. Ultimate X-Men is pretty good until....volume 6? The one entitled Return of the King. The entire Marvel Adventures line is very solid, particularly anything written by Paul Tobin or Jeff Parker.

Honestly at 14 a good portion of comics should be fine, although I'd caution against some very violent recent comics like Siege and Blackest Night.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I liked Sentinel

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    You would

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Did anyone read The Bulletproof Coffin? I think it looks neat, and it is on sale at Amazon. What the hell, I am buying it.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Does anyone know whatever happened to Geof Darrow? The last issue of Shaolin Cowboy came out... four years ago I think.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Variety reported in April 2009 that the Wachowski brothers and Circle of Confusion were producing an animated feature of Shaolin Cowboy, written and directed by Darrow, and animated by Madhouse.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    If we haven't heard anything in 2 years I'd say it is dead.

I know Darrow is doing the covers for John Layman's Godzilla mini this summer.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Gaspode_TGaspode_T Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have a bunch of the very early Image comics locked away somewhere (100 or so?), are any worth anything? Anything I should definitely look out for having or not? I know that I will regret that I cut those stupid coupons out of Spawn...I don't think I even sent them away

I have a bunch of other weird stuff, like Donald Duck comics from the 60s...would never sell any of them, just kind of curious about value and don't have easy access to Wizard in Japan :)

P.S. Not comic books in a traditional sense I am most proud of my Peanuts book collection, have something like 200 or 300 of them (the old ones from the 50s/60s), a lot of them are beaten up but they are the ones I had as a kid...

Gaspode_T on
    Gaspode The Talking Wonder Dog
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/gaspode_t TwitPic: http://twitpic.com/photos/gaspode_t
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Your Image comics are worthless, sad to say. Unless you had Spawn #1. Everything else you would be lucky to get cover value for, there's just no demand.

The Donald Duck ones might be 10 bucks each if that.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Alright. You win, everybody.I've been an avid Marvel reader for decades now and while still delving into Smaller Publishers and Indie comics, I never really got into the main DC universe stuff. But over the past year I've been recommended Elseworlds titles, All-Star Superman, Secret Identity, Batman/Superman, some random Minis and I really enjoyed them.

Now I wanna move on up to regular continuity fulltime with stuff like Superman, Green Lantern and Flash, then into the "Highly Reccomended" stuff like Doom Patrol and Secret Six. But fuck knows where to start with all the reboots, three-boots, reality punching and multiple earth versions of everyone... I'm gonna work my way through everything eventually, I just need a starting point!

Help?

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg