Options

The Comic Book Questions Thread International. Of America.

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    If I were to read one (or two) Valiant books, what would people recommend? I'm already super interested in Quantum and Woody, so I'll be grabbing that when it comes out.

I might lean more towards Harbinger.

My first foray into comics was X-men, so I've always been partial to a group of super powered outcasts/misfits. Harbinger is a great book to fill that niche.

You really can't go wrong with any of Valiant's titles, though.

• Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »
    I work in a drug rehab place for teenagers and wonder if yhere are any good reccomendations for comics about recovery, or dealing with addiction or mental illness or stuff along those lines. Demon in a Bottle is already a huge hit.

Hellblazer Tainted Love trade. Constantine is a homeless alcoholic in that, before eventually pulling himself out of the mire.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Ok this is a weird question, and I don't know if I want the answer. But was chatting with an old friend, and he reminded me of a comic I lost in a fire. I cannot find a duplicate of it anywhere on the net, even just for a picture, he seems to remember it was like a special edition just for the contest I won it at.

It was TMNT graphic novel, all 4 books, but in a single trade, in black and white, signed by Eastman and Laird. The thing was the size of a phonebook. I miss it. But I'm kinda scared to find out I lost a one of a kind comic in a fire.

So I guess question is has anyone ever come across one of these so I'm not a total wang and lost the only version that existed.

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Was Batwoman: Elegy the only pre-New 52 Batwoman collection?

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    There was another arc after Elegy while she was the lead in Detective Comics, but it dosen't look like it's been collected.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Ok this is a weird question, and I don't know if I want the answer. But was chatting with an old friend, and he reminded me of a comic I lost in a fire. I cannot find a duplicate of it anywhere on the net, even just for a picture, he seems to remember it was like a special edition just for the contest I won it at.

It was TMNT graphic novel, all 4 books, but in a single trade, in black and white, signed by Eastman and Laird. The thing was the size of a phonebook. I miss it. But I'm kinda scared to find out I lost a one of a kind comic in a fire.

So I guess question is has anyone ever come across one of these so I'm not a total wang and lost the only version that existed.

Without knowing what the stories were that were contained within it, it's tough to find any info. You could try looking around here, or asking on their forums (or it might be on this list). Probably if anyone knew anything about it, it'd be the people that post there. If it was signed by Eastman and Laird then it was probably from the volume 1 Mirage days.

I come with my own question: were any stories written that detail Gordon's transition to GCPD Commissioner?

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    Beyond what is explained in Year One I don't think so...

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    Bullio wrote: »

Without knowing what the stories were that were contained within it, it's tough to find any info. You could try looking around here, or asking on their forums (or it might be on this list). Probably if anyone knew anything about it, it'd be the people that post there. If it was signed by Eastman and Laird then it was probably from the volume 1 Mirage days.

I come with my own question: were any stories written that detail Gordon's transition to GCPD Commissioner?

That led me to the book , so at least not unique, I'm still gonna go cry for a while tho

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    If I were to read one (or two) Valiant books, what would people recommend? I'm already super interested in Quantum and Woody, so I'll be grabbing that when it comes out.

My first foray into comics was X-men, so I've always been partial to a group of super powered outcasts/misfits. Harbinger is a great book to fill that niche.

bloodshot and x-o suck

harbinger's good

shadowman's alright

quantum and woody will be good maybe

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    So I am currently reading the main Doctor Who series, as well as the Prisoners of Time mini-series. I occasionally pick up Futurama and any titles that spark my fancy. (Hellboy: In Hell was an interesting acquisiton. I have no frakin' clue what is going on, though.) Alas no new Atomic Robo yet! I'm also reading the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic comics. So I have three questions:

1. Why are IDW licensed comics so good? I'm not complaining, mind you...

2. When is more Atomic Robo coming out?

3. Are there any non-superhero titles people want to suggest to me?

• Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular

http://www.comixology.com/Godzilla-Half-Century-War-1-of-5/digital-comic/JUN120326

You could go for Godzilla. Self contained. gorgeous art, and pretty good story. It's also IDW!!

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Armoroc wrote: »

http://www.comixology.com/Godzilla-Half-Century-War-1-of-5/digital-comic/JUN120326

You could go for Godzilla. Self contained. gorgeous art, and pretty good story. It's also IDW!!

I'll see if I can't find a copy. While free Comixology comic are fun to play around with on my phone, the screen is just too small to justify buying comics to read on it. Now, if & when I get a tablet...

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Non superhero books you should be reading:

Saga
    The Manhattan Projects
    Nowhere Men
    East of West
    The Private Eye

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I would also add The Massive to that list. Just picked up the first trade and I'm really liking it.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    So I am currently reading the main Doctor Who series, as well as the Prisoners of Time mini-series. I occasionally pick up Futurama and any titles that spark my fancy. (Hellboy: In Hell was an interesting acquisiton. I have no frakin' clue what is going on, though.) Alas no new Atomic Robo yet! I'm also reading the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic comics. So I have three questions:

1. Why are IDW licensed comics so good? I'm not complaining, mind you...

2. When is more Atomic Robo coming out?

3. Are there any non-superhero titles people want to suggest to me?

1. and 3. are linked to my suggestion

Transformers: Robots in Disguise and More than Meets the Eye are two genuinely good series, not good for transformers, not good for a licensed comic, good

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Oi, slags

anyone read Star Wars: Dawn of the Force?

It's on my Amazon recommended and is cheap

talk me out of buying this

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Not a doctor Tree townRegistered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »

bloodshot and x-o suck

harbinger's good

shadowman's alright

quantum and woody will be good maybe

Lack of Priest/Bright makes me o_O

• Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    Does LexCorp have a Board of Directors?
    Just wonder if Luthor has anyone he has to answer to in the company the way Bruce Wayne does

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    BusterK wrote: »
    Just wonder if Luthor has anyone he has to answer to in the company the way Bruce Wayne does

Not in any comics I've read. Which is a shame, I'd like to see more of how he operates LexCorp., which is one thing Smallville did right. Not that a board of directors would be able to keep him under control for long.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    Yeah but it would at least add drama the way it does with Wayne Enterprises

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Ooh, what if the Lexcorp Board of Directors was the Legion of Doom?

BusterK on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I remember in the Superman Adventures comic they told the story of how Luthor went from the businessman he was in the Superman animated series to the supervillain he was in Justice League, and part of it involved him making his bodyguard Mercy the CEO in his place after being sent to prison, and then she refused to let him use her as a puppet to siphon money away from the company for his schemes.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular

Not in any comics I've read. Which is a shame, I'd like to see more of how he operates LexCorp., which is one thing Smallville did right. Not that a board of directors would be able to keep him under control for long.

Wasn't there an arc where Talia al Ghul got onto the Lexcorp board and ended up selling the whole shebang to Wayne Enterprises?

oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options

Grundy demand higher dividend yield!

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular

Grundy demand higher dividend yield!

And pants

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Is LexCorp a publicly traded company?

• Options
    It has corporation in its name so I assume so. If it was privately own Luthor would be legal liable for everything the company does.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Oi, slags

anyone read Star Wars: Dawn of the Force?

It's on my Amazon recommended and is cheap

talk me out of buying this

It's Ostrander/Duursema, so a solid team on it. It's also not a simple "Jedi=good/Sith=bad, now lightsabres!" that annoys me in most Star Wars titles. Downside is that the first TPB is mostly worldbuilding and there aren't any characters yet in it that interest me.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Wasn't there an arc where Talia al Ghul got onto the Lexcorp board and ended up selling the whole shebang to Wayne Enterprises?

I think Talia ran Lexcorp for the entire time that Lex was president, and then in the storyline where Batman and Superman team up to get him out of office and he goes crazy with his old power armor and all, it's mentioned that Talia sold the whole thing to Bruce Wayne and Lex was now broke or something.

I don't think much was done with it though, since shortly after that in 52 he used the "It wasn't me, it was an alternate reality duplicate!" defense and got his name cleared.

Edit: Also, this was when Talia was technically a good guy, but I think she was on bad terms with Bruce for some reason so they weren't dating or really hanging out even though she was good. She was brainwashed by Nyssa shortly after this and became a villain again.

Lars on
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    It has corporation in its name so I assume so. If it was privately own Luthor would be legal liable for everything the company does.

Corporations can be privately held. Koch Industries is an example of that.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Valve Corporation is also privately held.

• Options
    So my comixology computer account and iPhone app are not synching up? It says I haven't purchased comics on my computer that I distinctly remember purchasing on my phone and vice versa. What's the go guys??

QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Well, I know I need to restart the comixology app for PC purchases to show up on it. (And I refuse to purchase anything from Comixology on the app as Apple takes a cut of that and it's super easy to just load up a web browser on my ipad and buy through that.)

• Options
    When you say restart do you just mean turn on and off?

QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    He means like force exiting it (double tapping the home button, holding a touch on the comixology icon till the x appears on the top right of the icon, then clicking the x.)

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    Ah right. Thanks guys I figured out that I wasn't logged in on my iPhone. I wasn't aware that It was even possible to dl and buy stuff without being logged in but aparently you can and then nothing synchs up herp derp

QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    M-TeeM-Tee Registered User regular
    Looking for some recommendations on detective comics, meaning comics about detectives, not Batman. These are for the girlfriend, who currently watches/reads a lot of Detective Conan and a some similar Korean series targeted to a slightly older audience. She's asking for suggestions, but I'm having a difficult time finding things.

In particular, looking for something that focuses on the solving of the crime without being too police procedural, CSI-y, and without being overly dark, gritty, and criminal underworld-esque. Also, no capes.

Suggestions?

• Options
    There's that scene in The Amazing Spider-Man where the crane operator lines up the cranes for Spider-Man to reach the Oscorp building, and that scene in Spider-Man 2 where the people on the subway pass him over their heads, which I guess I'll summarize as "JJJ/the press/the police think Spider-Man is dangerous but the people love/respect him". Is this something that has a basis in the comics, or is this something that was created for the movies? I can't think of any examples of that kind of show of support by the citizens in the comics other than the Death of Spider-Man stuff in Ultimate Marvel, but I haven't read a lot of Spider-Man.

oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    M-Tee wrote: »
    Looking for some recommendations on detective comics, meaning comics about detectives, not Batman. These are for the girlfriend, who currently watches/reads a lot of Detective Conan and a some similar Korean series targeted to a slightly older audience. She's asking for suggestions, but I'm having a difficult time finding things.

In particular, looking for something that focuses on the solving of the crime without being too police procedural, CSI-y, and without being overly dark, gritty, and criminal underworld-esque. Also, no capes.

Suggestions?

Maybe check out Stumptown by Greg Rucka?

• Options
    There's that scene in The Amazing Spider-Man where the crane operator lines up the cranes for Spider-Man to reach the Oscorp building, and that scene in Spider-Man 2 where the people on the subway pass him over their heads, which I guess I'll summarize as "JJJ/the press/the police think Spider-Man is dangerous but the people love/respect him". Is this something that has a basis in the comics, or is this something that was created for the movies? I can't think of any examples of that kind of show of support by the citizens in the comics other than the Death of Spider-Man stuff in Ultimate Marvel, but I haven't read a lot of Spider-Man.

"You aren't the menace the Daily Bugle makes you out to be" is a long running theme in Spidey, I'm sure those exact words have been said multiple times , as well as variations.

There's a lot of times they touch on the fact that JJJ has a vendetta and maybe the Bugle's view is skewed. ( Especially back in the days when Pete worked for the Bugle)

Currently
    Doc Ock is Spiderman, and almost by accident earned JJJ's respect, so that's kinda funny