Options

The Comic Book Questions Thread International. Of America.

• Options
    JombalayaJombalaya Registered User regular
    They solve crimes in X Factor.

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Jombalaya wrote: »
    They solve crimes in X Factor.

It could go against the "no capes" stipulation, but it's so good that I'd strongly recommend at least giving the first trade an honest chance. The focus isn't really about superheroics, it's about the characters just trying to survive and live honest lives away from the trappings of the hero game (and the hijinks that ensue). Alternatively, you could pickup the Marvel Knights: Madrox prequel miniseries that sets up X-Factor. It's more grounded, I guess, than X-Factor for most of the series.

Chew also has a good deal of casework and is very fun, mostly lighthearted material. Not very realistic, what with the main character getting psychic readings off of food and a freaking crazy robo-rooster of death that makes the innermost depths of Hell shit its pants.

Comics I haven't read and thus don't know much about besides their basic premises but might be suitable: Powers (normal detectives that solve crimes committed against super-powered persons), Gotham Central (spins out of Batman, yes, but takes place from the POV of the GCPD), and Sam & Twitch (about the two normal detectives that sometimes bump into Spawn, supposed to be really good Bendis stuff).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    M-Tee wrote: »
    Looking for some recommendations on detective comics, meaning comics about detectives, not Batman. These are for the girlfriend, who currently watches/reads a lot of Detective Conan and a some similar Korean series targeted to a slightly older audience. She's asking for suggestions, but I'm having a difficult time finding things.

In particular, looking for something that focuses on the solving of the crime without being too police procedural, CSI-y, and without being overly dark, gritty, and criminal underworld-esque. Also, no capes.

Suggestions?

Maybe check out Stumptown by Greg Rucka?

Would The Question work?

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Looking for some recommendations on detective comics, meaning comics about detectives, not Batman. These are for the girlfriend, who currently watches/reads a lot of Detective Conan and a some similar Korean series targeted to a slightly older audience. She's asking for suggestions, but I'm having a difficult time finding things.

In particular, looking for something that focuses on the solving of the crime without being too police procedural, CSI-y, and without being overly dark, gritty, and criminal underworld-esque. Also, no capes.

Suggestions?

There is Ruse by Mark Waid (formerly Crossgen, recently Marvel), which is basically a Sherlock Holmes type detective.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    NerdlancerNerdlancer Registered User regular
    Reading comics for me is 20% plot, 50% setting/universe and 270% oggling at the incredibly detailed scenery.

I've gone through King City, Transmetropolitan and Orc Stain, and i've loved the art in all of them.

Does anyone have any comics similar to these in mind? i'd appreciate some suggestions.

some examples of the kickin' rad artstyles in these comics:
    http://ifanboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/orcstaininterior1.jpg
    http://www.comicsbulletin.com/main/sites/default/files/reviews/images/1203/KCMonster.jpg

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Any of Geof Darrow's books - Shaolin Cowboy, Big Guy & Rusty the Boy Robot, Hard Boiled.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Get Jiro!

• Options
    NerdlancerNerdlancer Registered User regular
    Any of Geof Darrow's books - Shaolin Cowboy, Big Guy & Rusty the Boy Robot, Hard Boiled.

Hmm, my local comic book store guy reccomended me Hard Boiled, i might end up picking that one up. thanks!

• Options
    GetJiro_1.jpeg
    an example of get jiro's art
    i feel like it's along those lines but different

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Get Jiro looks super neat. So does Prophet.

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Stokoe recently finished a Godzilla miniseries called Half Century War.

He's now working on Six-Gun Gorilla with Simon Spurrier (who is currently writing one of the best books of the Marvel Now launch in X-men Legacy).

Six Gun-Gorilla #1 releases today.

• Options
    M-TeeM-Tee Registered User regular
    Everything Seth Fisher did. Top suggestions: Batman Snow and FF/Iron Man Big in Japan.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Six-Gun Gorilla has Stokoe art?

I did not realize.

Guess I'll have to pick it up.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Not Stokoe - Jeff Stokely.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Everything I've ever been told is a lie!

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Has Gillen's Three been released?

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    not yet, and last time I bugged him about it on Twitter he didn't have a date for it yet

• Options
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Not Stokoe - Jeff Stokely.

Yeah, sorry.

My mind went quicker than my eyes could read.

• Options
    rattletraprattletrap Registered User regular
    A question for the panel:

What would be a good place to start with collections of Swamp Thing? I have heard the Moore run is good, but I'm pretty mixed on his stuff.
    I've also heard good things about the current run.

I'm mostly looking for a stand-alone graphic novel collection rather than picking up monthlies if that helps.

• Options
    The current volume is good, but I don't have any other Swamp Thing books for comparison.

The first couple TPBs, should be a good starting point. Somewhere in the issues form the mid to late teens, it goes into a crossover event with Animal Man and afterwords gets a new creative team. Before all that it was one of the better New 52 titles.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Personally, I haven't read any of the New 52 Swamp Thing, but I do own all of Alan Moore's run, and it's pretty amazing. I'd definitely recommend checking out the first collection at least. See if your local library has it, maybe.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Has there ever been a series or miniseries about supervillains who are trying to rehabilitate themselves? Sort of like the Batman: TAS episode Harley's Holiday but more in-depth. Where they have to deal with the trials of everyday life, trying to get a job, making friends, going to court mandated therapy, seeing their parole officer, and attending AA type meetings for other former supervillains. Maybe they also get hounded by the media, shunned by regular people, and even picked on by douchey superheroes.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    There was a moderately recent Amazing Spider-Man back-up about a one-time supervillain who tried to get straight that was pretty good, I think it was either in the first Big Time issue or ASM 700. Probably the former.

Paul Dini also had Riddler reform in Detective Comics, but he was still in the super-game.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Has there ever been a series or miniseries about supervillains who are trying to rehabilitate themselves? Sort of like the Batman: TAS episode Harley's Holiday but more in-depth. Where they have to deal with the trials of everyday life, trying to get a job, making friends, going to court mandated therapy, seeing their parole officer, and attending AA type meetings for other former supervillains. Maybe they also get hounded by the media, shunned by regular people, and even picked on by douchey superheroes.

I had an idea for a comic where you'd take a bunch of z-level villains who are all done with villainy on account of sucking at it and being continually beaten up by heroes, and they form a support group. During one of their meetings, an A level villain attacks someplace nearby and shit escalates until it runs into the support group who defend themselves and wind up saving the day; and they form a crappy superhero team, much to the chagrin of all the "legit" heroes.

I think that's been done before, though. There was a similar thing in an X-Men: Evolutions episodes I think.

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Incognito by Brubaker and Philips is about a former supervillain in the Witness Protection program.

Casey's Nixon's Pals is about a parole officer for superpowered villains.

And there was quite a bit on supervillains trying to go straight in Thunderbolts during the era where Hawkeye went to prison for their crimes and they got regular jobs and half of them got stuck on Counter-Earth.

Dizzy D on
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    i know sandman went straight for a while and was a reserve avenger

(which is the best thing in the goddamn world that isn't Shocker on the thunderbolts)

Antimatter on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

I had an idea for a comic where you'd take a bunch of z-level villains who are all done with villainy on account of sucking at it and being continually beaten up by heroes, and they form a support group. During one of their meetings, an A level villain attacks someplace nearby and shit escalates until it runs into the support group who defend themselves and wind up saving the day; and they form a crappy superhero team, much to the chagrin of all the "legit" heroes.

I think that's been done before, though. There was a similar thing in an X-Men: Evolutions episodes I think.
    Simone's run on Secret Six was kind of this. They were more grey than white knights (being mercenaries and all), but there was some kind of "trying to be functional and better people" running through the comic. Of course, that didn't always work because at the end of the day, they were all villains and old habits can be hard to break.

sig.gif
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

there's Superior Foes of Spider-Man coming out, though I don't know how heroic they're going to try to act

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    According to Nick Spencer they are going to act full on villainous. No attempt at heroic redemption.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    So, really sort of a silly thing I was pondering...

For those of you who are South Park fans, you are probably aware of the series of 3-4 episodes that South Park has done parodying superhero movies, with Cartman & company dressing up as superhero alter-egos.

In these episodes, it was revealed that Kenny is the superhero Mysterion, and that his "power" is the ability to die repeatedly and then be reborn every night, with nobody besides him retaining any memories or awareness of his demise even when they were eyewitnesses. This is, of course, a joke about the way Kenny would be killed in gruesome fashion in every episode for the first several years of the show, only to reappear in the next episode without explanation.

My question is this:

Has there ever been a "real" superhero with a power similar to this? Having the superheroic ability (and only this ability, with no other powers to speak of) to die repeatedly and somehow be reborn or be regenerated each time?

I think it could actually make for a really interesting character...provided it was handled in an intelligent and perhaps darkly humorous way rather than giving into the over-the-top grimdarkness which such an ability might inspire in the hands of an untalented author.

Gaslight on
  • Options
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Well, by "real" I meant a character who had appeared in "serious" superhero media as opposed to parody like South Park.

Mr. Immortal I had actually heard of but I'd forgotten him. Shade I didn't know, and kind of fits, although there appears to be an aspect of reincarnation in a different form each time which is outside the Mysterion character template I had in mind.

Thanks, folks!

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    There's also the Resurrection Man.

• Options
    There's also Nathan from Misfits

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misfits_(TV_series)

• Options
    JombalayaJombalaya Registered User regular
    And those two guys in Super Crooks.

Or am I the only one that read that?

• Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    And the Plutonian's sidekick in Irredeemable sort of fits that bill.

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    And for the old-timers among us: Captain Scarlet.

• Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular

Suggestions?

If you don't mind going old-school, I enjoyed reading Maze Agency when I was younger. It's probably the closest I can recommend to what you're asking for.

On a related note, Modesty Blaise was kind of a crime comic and was also excellent.

I know you said not too gritty, but I absolutely loved Bendis' run on Sam and Twitch, delays and all. Mind you, that's a recommendation only if you can find the original issues. It was collected in a TPB in black and white, which is practically a crime because one of the best things about it was the colouring and the use of subtle texture.

The whole thing (all 26 issues of it) is on Comixology, including a mini sequel called The Writer which I haven't read. It starts kind of rough but picks up after a while.