As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Comic Book Questions Thread International. Of America.

• Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    I just remembered another character who fits the bill of coming back to life every time you kill him. He's a villain though: LORD DEATH MAN

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    Wolverine/Deadpool/heck anyone with a healing factor, is similar as well, they just only land on death's door for a few seconds at most ( Which in Deadpool's case, was enough for love at first sight with Death herself)

Edit: From that same South Park episode tho, do we have any superheros powered by cosmic breakfast cereal?

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    tehjestertehjester Tampa, FlRegistered User regular
    Is this the thread where I ask if there's anyone going to the new York comic con that needs a bunk mate, as it were. Cause I'm going and I need a bunkmate. Hotels in new York are expensive

PSN: JesterKing13 Blizz Battletag: tehjester#1448
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    And for the old-timers among us: Captain Scarlet.

And for the even greater old-timers amongst us: Jesus.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Have we heard anything on issue 6 of Lookouts? I have my local shop pulling them, but I haven't got one for ages, they said it was originally advertised to them for December, and it worries me that maybe they're done?

• Options
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    And for the old-timers among us: Captain Scarlet.

And for the even greater old-timers amongst us: Jesus.

You younguns and your fancy "new" testament!

• Options
    So have Spidey Super Stories ever been reprinted/collected in a trade or anything? I can resist no longer!

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    they have not

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Does anyone happen to have the quote that Batman made about how brilliant Superman's identity as Clark Kent was? It was a fairly long quote and he was talking about how the psychology behind it worked and thus why the alternate identity worked.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    And now for a boring storage question: Midtown Comics has comic boxes for sale and it says they fit X number of unbagged and unboarded comics. While it's obvious it would hold less due to the added thickness, the bit I'm concerned about is the width. Is there enough wiggle room in those boxes for the bags and boards?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    I don't think I have ever seen any boxes that don't fit silver age comics, which are wider that modern comics.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    And now for a boring storage question: Midtown Comics has comic boxes for sale and it says they fit X number of unbagged and unboarded comics. While it's obvious it would hold less due to the added thickness, the bit I'm concerned about is the width. Is there enough wiggle room in those boxes for the bags and boards?

I have one of their long boxes and a bunch of short boxes. They fit board-and-bagged comics just fine. Modern comics, at any rate.

• Options
    mrmrmrmr nameless protagonist Registered User regular
    Figure this is the best place to ask:
    I picked up the first trade of Mark Waid's Irredeemable and I enjoyed it and the questions he's asking. The half-price books I got it from had all the other trades as well as Incorruptible. If I wanted to read Incorruptible too, should I read it along side Irredeemable or finish that before starting Incorruptible?

Practice Round, my blog where I talk (mostly) about comics.
    p4.png
  • Options
    Incorrupt fit in around issues 9-10ish of Irredeemable , but they can also go separately fairly easily until the finales/crossover

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I don't think I have ever seen any boxes that don't fit silver age comics, which are wider that modern comics.
    Delduwath wrote: »
    TOGSolid wrote: »

I have one of their long boxes and a bunch of short boxes. They fit board-and-bagged comics just fine. Modern comics, at any rate.

Huzzah! Thank you gentlemen!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    You don't keep silver age comics in boxes ! You keep them in your back pocket with your slingshot , while you ride your bike down the street with your baseball cards in your spokes!

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Hey, I've got a question some of you guys might be able to help with.

When Captain America first woke up out of the ice in Silver Age Marvel, the Avengers took him in, right? But after a while he got his own title. Where did he live during that period? Where did he get money/food, what was his base of operations? I know that after the secret Empire debacle he lived out of a van as Nomad, and when his title got cancelled, he mainly became just an Avengers supporting cast member, and by the time of Brubaker's run he was a glorified SHIELD agent. I'm talking about those periods when he was on his own in the 60s and 70s, operating as an independent hero.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Wasn't Captain America a comic book artist around that time?

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    yep

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Also probably pulled a pension or some kind of benefit from the Army.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Do you know what kind of mad cash Cap probably pulled in from all his old Liberty Bonds?

(Pretend I found a good screenshot of Avenging Spider-Man #5 where everyone's teasing Cap about his old liberty bonds comics)

• Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    There's this table in my buildings basement for anyone to leave stuff they don't want anymore. Presently there is a large stack of Grendel comics, some from Comico and a bunch from Dark Horse.

Are these any good? Should I grab one/a few/all?

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Grendel comics are incredibly good. Grab all of them, as quickly as you can.

Pretty much everything Matt Wagner has had a hand in is gold, but Grendel especially.

• Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Got 'em! Six issues of Grendal from Comico, War Child, and various issues from Dark Horse in different series. Devil's Hammer, Homecoming, The Devil May Care, and Four Devils One Hell.

Turns out there was a bunch of other stuff in the stack as well. The West Coast Avengers, Astro City, Dhampire, Captain Zap, lots of other random ones. Some of this other stuff looks very, um, dark. The House of Secrets, from DC Vertigo? Black Orchid (holy shit Neil Gaiman!), um, Zot! ?

I'm starting to wonder why they were placed on the free table. There's a lot of older stuff here.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    holy cow, grab that Astro City right quick

I haven't read any of the other stuff, but I might grab that West Coast Avengers. I've heard that was a fun series.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Also grab Zot! (Scott Mccloud!), Black Orchid and probably House of Secrets (which one is it? The old one, the 90s Seagle one?)

I should probably make a Grendel thread if there isn't one, it's one of my favourite comics. The first Comico issues are a bit rough artwise, but otherwise it's an excellent series.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Just take all of it. Sounds like a good stack. Then if you're feeling utilitarian just put them back when you're done reading them. Or hoard them. Astrocity gets my vote too.

QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    TheSecretSeventhTheSecretSeventh GARegistered User regular
    ok, it's been a looong time since I posted in the comics forum because I stopped buying comics like 2 years ago (I'm poor).

big question for you guys. I'm getting back into comics. where the hell do I start? I mostly read DC/marvel because I'm not cool enough for the indie stuff and I love looking at buff dudes in spandex. here's a list of stuff I'm interested in, let me know if any of it is worth checking out, and feel free to give any additional suggestions. (I stopped reading shortly after the new DCU/when the avengers vs x-men event started)

fraction on hawkeye
    posehn's deadpool
    is iron man still good? I was loving what fraction was doing with the character
    batman stuff (there's so damn much of it)
    green lantern? I loved johns' run BEFORE the new DCU, but afterwards there were too many books and most of them sucked.
    I'm sure I'll be picking up avengers and justice league, but there are multiple books of each. which are worth reading?
    is daredevil still amazing?
    I heard peter parker died or some shit? I love spider-man but I don't think I'd read it with another character
    any x-men books that someone with little x-men knowledge can enjoy
    what's green arrow up to? he's one of my favorite characters, but his solo books haven't been good since kevin smith
    bonus round: any good star wars books out? legacy was the only series I fully enjoyed. everything else was either terrible or only passable.

I'm sure I'm missing stuff, so please throw out more recommendations.

and I apologize if this is the wrong thread for this question, the "new to comics" threads were either closed or no one had posted in them for months.

thanks, guys.

PSN: DW_Drummer22
    XBL: MightyManotaur
    PA: TheSecretSeventh
    wait....
  • Options
    ok, it's been a looong time since I posted in the comics forum because I stopped buying comics like 2 years ago (I'm poor).

big question for you guys. I'm getting back into comics. where the hell do I start? I mostly read DC/marvel because I'm not cool enough for the indie stuff and I love looking at buff dudes in spandex. here's a list of stuff I'm interested in, let me know if any of it is worth checking out, and feel free to give any additional suggestions. (I stopped reading shortly after the new DCU/when the avengers vs x-men event started)

fraction on hawkeye
    posehn's deadpool
    is iron man still good? I was loving what fraction was doing with the character
    batman stuff (there's so damn much of it)
    green lantern? I loved johns' run BEFORE the new DCU, but afterwards there were too many books and most of them sucked.
    I'm sure I'll be picking up avengers and justice league, but there are multiple books of each. which are worth reading?
    is daredevil still amazing?
    I heard peter parker died or some shit? I love spider-man but I don't think I'd read it with another character
    any x-men books that someone with little x-men knowledge can enjoy
    what's green arrow up to? he's one of my favorite characters, but his solo books haven't been good since kevin smith
    bonus round: any good star wars books out? legacy was the only series I fully enjoyed. everything else was either terrible or only passable.

I'm sure I'm missing stuff, so please throw out more recommendations.

and I apologize if this is the wrong thread for this question, the "new to comics" threads were either closed or no one had posted in them for months.

thanks, guys.

Ok, I'mma need a deeeeep breath for this

Fractions Hawkeye is amazing Hawkguy forever Bro!

Posehn's Deadpool has been decent, nothing amazing tho.

Iron Man is in an odd place atm, but he's also joined the Guardians of the Galaxy in their title.

Batman Stuff..... Stuff is definitely the right word for Batman as late.

Lantern is still trucking decently, still a little title heavy tho, between Green, Red, Corps, and now Larfleeze.

Hickman is currently on the reigns of the Avengers, if you ever read his FF run, or his solo works, you can probably guess how insane and awesome it's getting. If not, let's just say it's getting awesome and insane!

Daredevil is still really good.

Peter Parker died, Doc Ock took over his body, the internet raged, but then they shut up for a minute and read the stories and they are really really good and now no one wants Pete back.

I'm not sure if there's ever been X-men that could be read without X-knowledge! , but if willing to learn just a single character a little X-men Legacy is one of the best books out there atm, and is mostly just a solo book about Legion ( ya that Legion... yes , I know, but it's seriously good). Wolverine and The X-men is also a little character heavy, but is pretty fun it's about Wolverine re-opening the school with himself as headmaster, so it's more of a student/faculty superhero comedy of errors.

I dunno about Green Arrow or Star wars tho.

( Also Locke and Key, because I recommend Locke and Key to everyone no matter what!)

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Hawkeye is very, very good. You'll want to start at the beginning with either issue #1 or the first paperback, and it's easy to catch up since the series is only up to issue #12 so far (plus an annual).

Iron Man is alright. I don't think it's anywhere near as good as Fraction's, but it is a pretty different approach to the character.

Daredevil is definitely still amazing. Did you stop buying before Waid's run started? Because Waid went in a totally different direction with the character, and it's great.

Avengers and New Avengers are the core Avengers books right now. They're both being written by Jonathan Hickman, who's doing a crazy job. Uncanny Avengers is also pretty darn good, that's by Rick Remender and features an "Avengers Unity Team" of X-Men and Avengers working together. Young Avengers is also really good and fun.

What happened with Spider-Man is that Dr. Octopus switched minds with Peter, and Octavius' body died with Peter's mind in it, so now Otto's running around in Peter's body, being basically the most fascistic super-hero ever. Some people really like that. Not really my cup of tea.

For the X-Men, Bendis' book All-New X-Men is pretty new reader friendly, because it starts with the premise of the original five X-teens being time-traveled to the present, so they've been learning about everything that's changed in the last thirty years over the course of the series. It's kind of like an X-Men primer, I think. Brain Wood's adjectiveless X-Men is I think pretty new reader friendly too. Only two issues are out so far though. I would also plug Si Spurrier's X-Men Legacy because it's a really good, weird book. It's about Professor X's son Legion (do you know about him? he's basically got schizophrenic mutant powers) and how he goes around the world having adventures.

I hear Brian Wood's Star Wars book is pretty good, too.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Oo good call, seconding All New X-men

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Good Batman series: Batman by Scott Snyder and Batman/Superman by Greg Pak.

Good Avengers series: Avengers/New Avengers by Jonathan Hickman, Uncanny Avengers by Rick Remender, Young Avengers by Kieron Gillen.

Daredevil is still amazing, yes. Currently written by Mark Waid (definitely start at #1 for this instead of jumping in the middle).

There are LOTS of good X-Men books. Any of the core titles are a good choice: Uncanny X-Men/All-New X-Men by Bendis, Wolverine and the X-Men by Jason Aaron, X-Men by Brian Wood. I think ANXM or WATXM might be the best choices for a reader with little X-Men knowledge. You should also read Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender because it's goddamn amazing.

I can also answer your bonus question! I'm really enjoying Star Wars by Brian Wood. It starts off right after Episode IV and follows the Rebellion as they're on the run and trying to find a new base of operations.

• Options
    Batman/Superman is the best Batman title out right now. Batman and Robin (which is currently being titled Batman and XYZ depending on who he teams up with for the week) went through a rough patch but seems to be getting good again. Batman INC has changed a lot and not everyone likes it but I think it's still good. It's almost over though so just grab the trades.
    Snyder's Batman is okayish but it's started to piss me off because it feels mediocre. I've given it a few chances and it kept letting me down!

If you're into teen heroes I suggest you take a look at Avengers Arena: Murder World. The first trade is out and it's pretty bawlin'. There's a lot of character death in it so some people hate it but I think it's really well written. A nice thing about it is the stakes are really high right now and waiting in the next issue is really exciting so I suggest you get into it now while the story hasn't been spoiled yet so you can get that month by month feel.

Young Avengers is also amazing right now.

As for Spider-man, yes Peter's body has been taken over by Doc Oc. It's actually pretty fun. The first Superior Spider-Man trade is out and if you want I get in on something on the ground floor, a series called Superior Spider-Man Team-Up just started this week. It looks pretty promising! Also on a slightly related note there's a book about Spider-Man villains called The Superior Foes of Spider-Man which has a heist movie vibe to it. It's also just started and looks really good.

Oh and get into 2000 AD ;)

QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Fuck it, I'll throw my .02 in here as well.

Hawkeye = just read it.

Deadpool: skip the first 6 issues. I'm undecided on everything after it, but its mostly been an improvement. It really depends on if you want "wacky internet-meme" Deadpool or "character development about a guy with a screw or two loose in his head" Deadpool. If you want the former, then you'll probably enjoy the heck out of it. If you want the latter, go back and track down Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force series.

Iron Man: I'm going to go with "no" so far. It's not bad, but the current arc is up in the air and I don't know yet if it's going to land well or poorly. But he is part of the Guardians of the Galaxy now, and that has been a pretty good book so far.

Batman: I'm really enjoying the Zero Year arc (much moreso than I thought I would) that started in Batman #21. Start there with the base book as it's completely removed from everything else that's happened in the Batbooks (maybe aside from Batman #0) since New 52 started. Batman & Robin is great, as is Batman Inc. Inc is ending this month though, or at least Morrison's run is, so it's not exactly the best time to pick it up. Detective Comics got better when Johnathan Layman started writing it, but unless you're really in the mood for more Batman you can skip it. Haven't read Batman and Superman yet. Sounds like I should get on that. The rest of the Batfamily books are, aside from Batwoman (maybe?), not worth reading from what I can tell.

Avengers: both of Hickman's titles (Avengers and New Avengers) are worthwhile and are about to kick off Marvel's first huge event since Marvel NOW started. Uncanny Avengers is also very good and operates mostly in its own little corner of the X-Men and Avengers universes (team's half X-Men and half Avengers). While not essential to getting into UA, familiarity with Remender's Uncanny X-Force series makes it much more rewarding. Luckily, Uncanny X-Force is one of the best X-books ever (aside from some lousy artwork from #19-23), so tracking all of it down and reading it before jumping into Uncanny Avengers is a worthwhile endeavor. Speaking of...

X-Men stuff: All-New X-Men is quite new reader friendly. Familiarity with some basic concepts of the franchise helps, like some very basic familiarity with the first team and the big events that have happened to Jean in her various lives, but they're not necessary. It shakes up the status quo quite a bit. Uncanny X-Men isn't quite as new reader friendly, but if you read a plot summary of Avengers vs. X-Men you'll be good to go. X-Men Legacy is supposed to be good, but I'm not reading it. I've found WatXM to be very hit or miss for awhile. X-Factor has been surprisingly consistent since Peter David relaunched it years ago, but it's in the middle of its final arc. Haven't read Brian Wood's new X-Men series yet (the cast isn't immediately appealing to me), but reactions seem to be mixed so far. The rest you can pretty safely skip over at this point.

Daredevil: still awesome, yes. At least since Waid took over. As mentioned earlier, start with the first issue of his run and go from there.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheSecretSeventhTheSecretSeventh GARegistered User regular
    you guys are awesome, thanks! am I smarter to start at the beginning with most of these? I know most of the stuff is around issue 20 or so, but it would save me a lot of money if I could jump in later rather then at the beginnig. but I definitely don't want to feel like I've missed out on something.

and keep the suggestions coming! I know I won't be buying stuff right away that isn't a sure thing, but I plan on getting back into this comics full bore. I've missed the hell out of them.

PSN: DW_Drummer22
    XBL: MightyManotaur
    PA: TheSecretSeventh
    wait....
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    With regards to Snyder's Batman, I think you can just read #0 and then go right into the Zero Year stuff, and return to the first two arcs later?

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I found myself in a comic book store for the first time in a very long time today, and I picked up Thunderbolts 1-7 and X-Men 1.
    Really enjoying Thunderbolts so far, so I was wondering what else you fine folks would recommend for me.
    I've read a few comics here and there, but never really gotten super deep before.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    If you're liking Thunderbolts, you ought to check out Venom's solo comic.

In a similar vein, Scarlet Spider is about Kaine, who's a clone of Peter Parker only he's really angry because being a clone stinks. He lives in Houston and is a super-hero in spite of himself. It's pretty great.

You might also like Superior Spider-Man, which you might have heard is about Doctor Octopus being Spider-Man. He's the most villainy hero ever. He's also in a book called Superior Spider-Man Team-Up, where he teams up with different characters in every issue.

If you're like what you see of X-Men, check out All-New X-Men too. It's a pretty fun book.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    If you like Thunderbolts, you should definitely give Superior Foes of Spider-Man a shot!

• Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    I'll give those a look.
    Venom in Thunderbolts is a little odd. Last time I looked Venom was a big scary monster, and now he's a dude with a gun.