Options

The Comic Book Questions Thread International. Of America.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Same symbiote, different host. Flash Thompson's in there now

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Rizzi wrote: »
    I'll give those a look.
    Venom in Thunderbolts is a little odd. Last time I looked Venom was a big scary monster, and now he's a dude with a gun.

Yeah, it's a bit confusing

I don't know all the details, but I know that it's the same symbiote, just bonded to Flash Thompson, a guy in the army (and Peter Parker's high school bully) instead of Eddie Brock.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Basically when Brock got locked up, the army decided to confiscate the symbiote and test its use for combat. Flash got picked as the test subject and did a lot of secret ops work with the symbiote before going rogue. For more information, Rick Remender's original run on the Venom title was very good.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I'll give those a look.
    Venom in Thunderbolts is a little odd. Last time I looked Venom was a big scary monster, and now he's a dude with a gun.

There's some background to this, and it's awesome and has made Venom the best he's been in years,
    After losing his legs in the war, and then going through some hardships, Flash Thompson was offered a chance to be in a symbiote enhanced spy team, where he was given the suit for 24 hour periods ( to help prevent the bonding). He's basically James Bond in a symbiote. Since then he has bonded with it, but they also managed to deaden the brain of the symbiote so he can continue to wear it without the worry of bonding ( there's already hints that it's rebooting tho). He's done some time on the Secret Avengers , before recently being recruited into Ross's Bolts

edit: Also at one point in a crossover miniseries, this happened ! ( Major spoiler picture of an awesome moment)
    venom13-4e+ghost+venom+hulk.jpg

Yes, that is the Hulk, possessed by the Symbiote, with Ghost Rider powers

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    ... What miniseries is that? I feel like I need to read that.
    Also I was going through some of my old boxes of crap today and I found a few (two) old comics I had stashed away. No idea where any of my other ones are, which is kind of depressing.
    QMlZlhb.jpg

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote: »

Deadpool: skip the first 6 issues. I'm undecided on everything after it, but its mostly been an improvement. It really depends on if you want "wacky internet-meme" Deadpool or "character development about a guy with a screw or two loose in his head" Deadpool. If you want the former, then you'll probably enjoy the heck out of it. If you want the latter, go back and track down Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force series.

Thats way off the mark.

The tone is uneven in places but its definitely not internet meme deadpool.
    Its more lonely wretch who wont give up Deadpool

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    ... What miniseries is that? I feel like I need to read that.
    Venom: Circle of Four

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I used to read Mutant X. The bookstore didn't always get every issue, so it was kind of hit and miss, but I thought it was interesting. It was one of the last comics I read before taking a hiatus. I think it was the last "not digitally colored, not on glossy as hell paper" comics I read too.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    Is it just me or are Hank Pym, Scott Lang and to an extent Eric O'Grady all written really inconsistanly? Like sometimes Hank is this super arrogant wild card mad scientist (AI) in Antman and The Wasp he's this totally square straight man that Eric plays off. Then in Avengers Academy he's this sort of bumbling uncle. Then FF Scott Lang is basically the same character as Hank is in Academy. I always need to look up which Antman in actually reading because I find their personas to be so fluid.

Is there like a definitive version of Pym and Lang?

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Pym being inconsistant across books is actually in character.

If there was an actual "Mad" Scientist in the Marvel U, Hank Pym would be it. Dude has issues on top of issues.

For a definitive Scott Lang? Read FF. For the love of god do it. That is Scott Lang

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Amigu wrote: »
    Is it just me or are Hank Pym, Scott Lang and to an extent Eric O'Grady all written really inconsistanly? Like sometimes Hank is this super arrogant wild card mad scientist (AI) in Antman and The Wasp he's this totally square straight man that Eric plays off. Then in Avengers Academy he's this sort of bumbling uncle. Then FF Scott Lang is basically the same character as Hank is in Academy. I always need to look up which Antman in actually reading because I find their personas to be so fluid.

Is there like a definitive version of Pym and Lang?

well you should keep in mind that the version of Pym getting written in AI is supposed to be a new take on the character. His defeat of Ultron is supposed to have given his life new drive and meaning. Prior to A.I. the definitive version of him was usually the well-meaning fuck up, the guy who couldn't do anything right no matter how brilliant he was. And whose entire life was defined by those fuck-ups. But they are trying to move away from that.

I wouldn't describe Scott Lang as bumbling at all, he's also going through a bit of a character transition since he was laregely defined by his role as a father previously. (Saving his daughter is the whole reason he became Ant-Man in the first place) But now that Cassie is dead he dosen't have that anymore, so his character arc in FF seems to be learning to cope with that and the acceptance of a new family.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    Cheers dudes that puts both characters in perspective for me!

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Let's say I want to read about Sabretooth and Wolverine, and my comic knowledge mostly ends at 1994 + the 90s X-Men cartoon. What should I take a look at?

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Reznik wrote: »
    Let's say I want to read about Sabretooth and Wolverine, and my comic knowledge mostly ends at 1994 + the 90s X-Men cartoon. What should I take a look at?

Jason Aaron's runs on Weapon X and Wolverine are pretty good, but it takes a while to get to Sabretooth since he was dead for most of the run.

• Options
    Bobby DerieBobby Derie Registered User regular
    You might be best leaving it at that, but if you absolutely had to go farther, start with Wolverine: Origins.

The Unpublishable - Original fiction blog, updates Fridays
    Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    There's also going to be a rather incredible sounding follow up to Wolverine: Origins coming next year, written by Kieron Gillen

he's drawing inspiration for it from Jack London's White Fang, in that it follows a feral Logan being brought back to civilization by Nathaniel Essex, before he became Mr. Sinister.

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Thanks guys. I'll hit up the comic shop after work today and see what they've got.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Wolverine: Origins was mostly written by Dan Way, and it reads like fanfic you would find on the internet. It is terrible.

• Options
    my bad, the Gillen-written book isn't a follow up to Wolverine: Origins, it's a follow up to Origin, by Paul Jenkins and Andy Kubert

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Two things that popped into my mind after reading this post:

1) Where did this design for Wayne Tower (with the "bat ears") start? The first place I remember seeing it was that page in Batman and Robin, and now it seems to be used all over the place.

2) Were the Rogues always the sports franchise in Gotham, or was that something that started after the Nolan movies?

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    the DC wiki says this:

Baseball

Gotham City Eagles
    Gotham Giants
    Gotham Goliaths
    Gotham Griffins
    Gotham Guardians
    Gotham High Hawks
    Gotham Knights
    Gotham Mammoths

Basketball

Gotham Gators
    Gotham Goliaths
    Gotham Guardsmen
    Gotham Knights

Football

Gotham City Wildcats
    Gotham High Titans
    Gotham Rogues

Hockey

Gotham Blades
    Gotham City Giants
    Gotham City Knights

And I remember Graham Nolan, in his Detective run with Dixon, had Gotham Bulls being a sports team.

• Options
    So the 3 careers in Gotham are Batman Sidekick, Villain, or Professional Athlete?

( Seriously that's a lotta teams for one city heh)

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    They obviously switch out while the other teams rotate between being in hostage situations.

• Options
    I bought Venom: Circle of Four and Planet Hulk today.
    Circle of Four is so amazing.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Huh, thanks @Texiken.

Now I'm wondering how many stories there have been that feature sports teams in comics. There's Dark Knight Rises, there's the Scarecrow episode in Batman: TAS where he gasses the...football? team...

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    They obviously switch out while the other teams rotate between being in hostage situations.
    Alternately, they move somewhere else, like what LA does with sports teams.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I bought Venom: Circle of Four and Planet Hulk today.
    Circle of Four is so amazing.

I love how it's a subtle homage to the New Fantastic Four.

artist29-3.jpg

• Options
    Oh man. That is awesome.

• Options
    Fantastic Four #347-349. Such a fun story.

• Options
    Just finished reading Planet Hulk.
    Holy shit. That was also fantastic.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I really loved Planet Hulk.

I also loved most of World War Hulk, up until the ending.

• Options
    Planet Hulk is one of my favorite stories ever, I'm so jealous Rizzi, I wish I could read it for the first time again!

• Options
    I just read all the Mythos comics on the Marvel Unlimited thing.
    Those were pretty neat. Is there anything else like them?

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    The Marvel Season One line is the closest thing I can think of off the top of my head, but those aren't on Marvel Unlimited.

• Options
    Bobby DerieBobby Derie Registered User regular
    I just read all the Mythos comics on the Marvel Unlimited thing.
    Those were pretty neat. Is there anything else like them?
    You mean the Haunt of Horror? Just everything Richard Corben's ever done.

The Unpublishable - Original fiction blog, updates Fridays
    Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • Options
    I just finished reading Ultimate Spider-Man.
    :(
    Please tell me that's not how it gets left.
    Please?

• Options
    Well, partly yes and partly no. You should read Ultimate Comics Spider-Man vol. 2.

• Options
    Wait, first, did you read Ultimate Comics Spider-Man: Death of Spider-Man Fallout?

• Options
    Uh.. The last one I read was Ultimate Spider-Man #133 on the Marvel Unlimited app.
    So.. Maybe?

• Options
    Go read Ultimate Comics Fallout #1-6