As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Comic Book Questions Thread International. Of America.

1424344454648»

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    Can you give a bit more information? Standard Franco-Belgian comics about families usually have the one supergenius family member that creates futuristic technology.

edit: to help along a little:
    - Do you remember the language?
    - Drawing style; was it cartoonish or more realistic?

I remember that they had a car, with an all-glass domed top. I think the body was blue. The style is similar to Gil Jordan.

I don't remember the language.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Jidehem's Sophie in L'Œuf de Karamazout ?

edit: more car, less glasswork, I can't think past Spirou's Turbot I and II (but that's probably too obvious).

Dizzy D on
    Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    Jidehem's Sophie in L'Œuf de Karamazout ?

edit: more car, less glasswork, I can't think past Spirou's Turbot I and II (but that's probably too obvious).

Yes! My memory of it wasn't very clear, but that was it. Awesome.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    M-TeeM-Tee Registered User regular
    Weird question. I visited America about 6 months ago, and while there, I bought a hardback graphic novel. I read the first dozen pages or so and foolishly left it behind. I only now realized it, and I want to order the book again online, but do not remember the name.

It is hardback, thick, and short. The cover is brown, designed to look like a classic, leatherbound book. The story seems to have been somewhat set in the middle east, and I recall the main character of the first few pages being in an uncomfortable situation, like a bound marriage or possibly bed-slave of sorts. In that aspect, the book seemed to handle mature subject matter, but the artstyle was all black and white, and relatively cute.

Help?

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    The only thing that comes to mind is Habibi but I really don't think that's it.

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    That sounds a bit like Persepolis, not sure though

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
  • Options
    M-TeeM-Tee Registered User regular
    Many thanks, it was Habibi.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    I read Sandman years ago because my local library had all the trades. I kept meaning to actually buy it because it was definitely worth owning, but never got around to it.

Now they have these really nice omnibuses available, and I'm thinking of picking them up. I just had a few questions if anyone here had these editions.

1. A review I read mentioned that this was a recolored version. Is this a good or bad thing? I don't know which version I read, but I'm assuming it was the original coloring. I remember when Killing Joke got a recoloring, it got a bit of a mixed reception.

[[Edit: Some googling gave me the answer for this. I don't like the recoloring, but it's not a deal-breaker. While the recoloring does allow you to see the linework better, which is good, they actually went and unnecessarily changed a bunch of the colors to make panels look more realistic instead of the harsh and surreal quality they had before. Considering we're talking about Dream of the Endless, I thought harsh and surreal worked a bit better. But again, not a deal-breaker. I would like to see some of the recoloring from the Doll's House though, as I think the harsh and surreal bit is more important there.]]

2. When I read the trades, I remember there being various forewords and anecdotes and such. I don't remember much of what was in them, but am I correct in assuming they are not included in the omnibus?

Lars on
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    You read the versions with the original coloring. The recoloring was done for the release of the Absolute editions and have since trickled down to the standard trades and omnibuses. Here's a comparison from the first volume: http://comicsalliance.com/absolute-sandman-recoloring/

I don't remember any real negative backlash over the recoloring. Here's Gaiman's thoughts on the matter:
    Do you feel that the new coloring better represents your original vision, the artist's original vision? is it a matter of technology?
    Yes, to all three. The original technology means that with every new printing on cleaner paper with sharper inks, it looks worse. There was never the time or the money to fix anything in the old days, and stuff simply went out as it was, sometimes to the detriment of the story. As things went on, we got to computerise the colour, and the technology gradually made things better. Compare Preludes and Nocturnes to The Kindly Ones, just from a standpoint of colour and you'll see what I mean.

I can't answer the forewords/anecdotes question with much certainty though. I have the Absolute editions and while I believe they don't include that stuff, I don't know if the omnibuses are any different.

EDIT: I think it was the first 20 issues or so that got recolored, and not the whole series (or at least, the most extensive work was done on the early issues).

AtomicTofu on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Yeah, I saw someone say it only applied to the first 19 issues (which is the first two trades, and the first couple of issues of the third trade).

Since it only effects like a quarter of the series, and isn't disagreeable in all cases, it should be fine.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Deleted.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    SolonASolonA Registered User regular
    Anyone know if more issues of Lookouts are gonna come out?

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    What's the deal with American Vampire Vol 3 HC being either out of stock or crazy expensive when every other volume is available everywhere?

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal