As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Comic Book Questions Thread International. Of America.

• Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Let us get more specific.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2011
    It is poop.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Thank you.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    My friend reads the boys, and he tries to tell me about it, and it just sounds flat out stupid every time. Like the "American Pie" Direct-to-DVD spinoff of the comics world.

I honestly don't get what sells people on all that bleak, gross-out shit when there is no heart or story at all underneath it (See also: Crossed, Crossed 2).

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Never read anything by Garth Ennis that isn't Hitman. Preacher, or Punisher.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I also liked his take on Enemy Ace as a German national hero who's called out of retirement for World War II.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I also really, really enjoyed the Kev Hawkins stories that spun out of the Authority. There are a lot of similarities to Hitman, I suppose, so that makes sense. Actually, now that I think about it, Kev is a bit like a mix of Tommy Monaghan and Cassidy from Preacher.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    edited July 2011

See, this is what I'm saying. Those are so good! So how can The Boys really be so bad?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Zeromus wrote: »

See, this is what I'm saying. Those are so good! So how can The Boys really be so bad?

Sometimes people work better under heavy editorial control.

You let them loose, and they fall victim to their selves and their overindulgence in their typical themes.

Look, man. The book has a massive, literal superhero circle jerk as a pivotal scene in one of its arcs. Do you really want to deal with that?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I also liked his take on Enemy Ace as a German national hero who's called out of retirement for World War II.

Yes, War in Heaven is pretty good

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Damage's mid 90's series, is it any good?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    liquiddarkliquiddark Odd magpie St. John's, NLRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The Boys is extreme in the same sense that Brat Pack was extreme or most of Jhonen Vasquez's SLG work was. That doesn't make it bad. It may or may not be literary in execution, but certainly its intent is very much in the tradition of exploding pop culture's holy cows.

It's nice to see a book that so completely divests itself of the limitations of hero fiction. It steps over a lot of lines, it's bawdy and worse than bawdy, but you can't complain that it is pointless. There's very much a point to everything that goes on in that story, and the couching of that point within the story is masterfully handled.

liquiddark on
    Current project: Contension, a realtime tactics game for mobile
    @oldmanhero .programming .web comic .everything
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Wormwood is ok

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    BigDes wrote: »

Wormwood is ok

also his Ghost Rider stuff isn't bad at all

Diablo Fett on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    How do I go about library-binding my singles, and how costly is it?

I double dip on my favorite series, and I would honestly like to end that habbit in most cases.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    IndiIndi Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I can never muster enough interest to get into The Boys. Something about the art, not just the subject matter. I'd rather try Marshal Law.

I liked Crossed, but I like Crazies/28 Days Later style blood tales so that went a long way.
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    How do I go about library-binding my singles, and how costly is it?

I double dip on my favorite series, and I would honestly like to end that habbit in most cases.

You mean this?

http://weeklycomicbookreview.com/2008/03/03/comic-binding/

http://www.singleboundstudios.com/

Indi on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Those are all awesome resources and answered all of my questions. It's a little pricier than I thought, but I still plan on doing it for Brightest Day, JL: Generation Lost (and tie-ins), and Blackest Night (and tie-ins). Thanks, guys.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Alternatively, contact your local library - most libraries typically have to have books rebound at some point.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Holy crap binding might be something for me to do. Although it might be pricey for ASM, since I have everything from Vol 2 on.

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    They had these prefab binding covers at the library I used to work for when they couldn't/wouldn't send the academic journals to get properly bound in hardcover and such. You just wet the glue on the inside of the spine and an inch or so of flaps flush with the inside covers. With comics to keep a bunch together you'd probably have to cut the spines (which is what they do when properly binding journals) so that everything gets glued and doesn't fall out.

BTW, the prefab covers are quick and cheap, but that glue smells like Death for a couple of days. It sets up pretty quickly, but it's like paint where the smell lingers for days afterwards.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I think I might do this for other runs I don't care about as much, I think having my ASM to one day give to my kids would be really cool. I can just imagine the day when I open a box of hundreds upon hundreds of comics and never seeing my kid come outside again haha.

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, the problem is that they have no surface area on the spine. That's why you have to trim them. Of course most academic journals don't have awesome two page spreads by JRJR.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So over the weekend I was able to pick up ASM #298 (First Eddie Brock) ASM #300 (First Venom), New Mutants #87 (First Cable) and Spawn #1 at a Yard Sale for a Buck each. They are all in great condition and are in these weird hard plastic cases that look like they are for wall hanging.

Are any of these worth any money? I see in some online price guides they seem to be, but I don't know if that translates into being able to sell them for an amount worth selling them for.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    ASM 300 is worth anywhere from 30-50 bucks, at least by what my LCS is offering to pay (it's always on their white board of comics they'll buy)

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Thanks Tex. I'll have to ask my local shop when I go in on Wednesday.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Do they have CGC ratings? Those will carry a higher price tag, I wish I were you, I want those issues but don't want to drop the dime right now.

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Do they have CGC ratings? Those will carry a higher price tag, I wish I were you, I want those issues but don't want to drop the dime right now.

No they dont, they're not in those kind of hard plastic cases. Although I've been wondering if it's worth getting it done (at least for ASM #300, the $20 fee definitely not be worth it for the other issues)

I'm also pretty sure I picked up all of Macfarlane's ASM run just bagged and boarded a while back. I should go dig them out and see how many issues I actually have.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    Laser DaveLaser Dave Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Kaji Dha vs. Khaji Da. Continuity and general apathy aside, how would you personally put it on paper when referring to the beetle lineage as a whole?

Laser Dave on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Sharp101 wrote: »

No they dont, they're not in those kind of hard plastic cases. Although I've been wondering if it's worth getting it done (at least for ASM #300, the $20 fee definitely not be worth it for the other issues)

I'm also pretty sure I picked up all of Macfarlane's ASM run just bagged and boarded a while back. I should go dig them out and see how many issues I actually have.

I'd say the collection as a whole will fetch you more, I myself am a huge fan and didn't start back logging those issues yet. Saving a bit more money first. I have everything from Vol 2 to current (442 on). I'll do 399-441 next then try for 298 on. I figure I can do a little at a time.

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    So comic storage options...

Bag and board 'em
    Bind 'em

Any other options?

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    NibCrom wrote: »

Bag and board 'em
    Bind 'em

Any other options?

Pile them up in old cardboard boxes and stack them around your bedroom.

It doesn't work too well, but it's what I do atm.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Bag and board 'em
    Bind 'em

Any other options?

Staple dem together and use them as a bed sheet.

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Bag and board 'em
    Bind 'em

Any other options?

Bag and board and then wallpaper your bedroom with them. Then work on the ceiling. Then store the excess comics in rubber maid containers.

I did all of the above except for the rubber maid, I went with cardboard and killed my inner child when the toilet/tub in my basement apartment flooded and destroyed everything in the very not sewage proof cardboard boxes.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm trying to figure out a way to bind all the DCNU #1's in a single "volume" without damaging any of the component comics.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2011

Bag and board 'em
    Bind 'em

Any other options?
    I keep thinking about getting all my full runs together, buying a big mess of acid-free sheet protectors, and putting them in three-ring binders.

That way I could print out custom spine/cover designs if I wanted to, and store them on a shelf, without going to the trouble and expense of binding them.

The only problem, is that I can't find sheet protectors that are close enough to comic book dimensions, so the issues would flop and slide around anytime you picked the binder up.

Munch on
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Munch wrote:

Bag and board 'em
    Bind 'em

Any other options?
    I keep thinking about getting all my full runs together, buying a big mess of acid-free sheet protectors, and putting them in three-ring binders.

That way I could print out custom spine/cover designs if I wanted to, and store them on a shelf, without going to the trouble and expense of binding them.

The only problem, is that I can't find sheet protectors that are close enough to comic book dimensions, so the issues would flop and slide around anytime you picked the binder up.

Is there any way to put wires between the pages so that the books can still be read in the binder?

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Bagginses wrote:
    Munch wrote:

Bag and board 'em
    Bind 'em

Any other options?

Is there any way to put wires between the pages so that the books can still be read in the binder?

That's a thing you could do, I bet. Libraries do that for magazines. I think the libraries do it to keep people from stealing them.

The solution to this sort of thing is to buy tpbs and graphic novels.

When does this new Daredevil book start? I wish there was some way I could buy the comic digitally, and you know, have the actual images and not have to deal with an awful "viewer." I vowed to give up monthly comix when we moved, but man the waiting is awful. There isn't a comic store within an hour of here anyway...

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I guess Daredevil comes out next week.

What are the good comics about Vikings? There is Northlanders, right? I think there are more, but I don't know the names.

• Options
    markini6markini6 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Can anyone tell me the best place to start in terms of old issues of X-Men when Cyclops et al were students? I'm reading the current stuff, and have the desire to go back to simpler times, where I don't have to constantly read about cylops' struggle with being a leader. Also, apart from Morrison's run, I've never read anything with Jean Grey in it, so I'm quite intrigued about that. Based on reviews and opinions, I should avoid the relatively modern First Class series, so I'm expecting to have to go quite a way back into the X-Men's history. Cheers in advance for any help

markini6 on