As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Comic Book Questions Thread International. Of America.

• Options
    RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    markini6 wrote:
    Can anyone tell me the best place to start in terms of old issues of X-Men when Cyclops et al were students? I'm reading the current stuff, and have the desire to go back to simpler times, where I don't have to constantly read about cylops' struggle with being a leader. Also, apart from Morrison's run, I've never read anything with Jean Grey in it, so I'm quite intrigued about that. Based on reviews and opinions, I should avoid the relatively modern First Class series, so I'm expecting to have to go quite a way back into the X-Men's history. Cheers in advance for any help
    As long as you're not a huge continuity snob, I think the first few collections of Ultimate X-Men are great stories about a relatively young group of mutants.

Start here

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    You want the classic Claremont/Byrne/Cockrum run that starts in the famous Giant Size X-Men #1 and Uncanny X-Men #94

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    markini6markini6 Registered User regular
    Thanks for the reply. I tried Ultimate X-men a while back, and there was just something that I didn't really like about it, may have been the art, can't really remember. Not a continuity snob, but the legacy of the characters and their history is one of the the things that interests me.

• Options
    Balefuego wrote:
    You want the classic Claremont/Byrne/Cockrum run that starts in the famous Giant Size X-Men #1 and Uncanny X-Men #94

Cheers, I'll scour amazon

• Options
    The "Essential X-Men" volumes are probably your best bet, they are big and cheap but they are also black and white.

All of the big time storylines from that era are also collected individually though in actual color trades.

Dark Phoenix Saga, Days of Future Past, Mutant Massacre etc

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The three X-Men First Class series were fantastic, whoever said otherwise are liars.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote:
    The three X-Men First Class series were fantastic, whoever said otherwise are liars.

Oh well that's added to the cost of this folly. I'll give the first volume a go then.

• Options
    Yeah, give the first volume a shot at the very least.

It doesn't try to change the origin stories from the 60's, it just kind of includes other adventures the group had with the Marvel Universe. The only thing it really does change is the original costumes, but that's nothing but cosmetic.

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2011
    Bagginses wrote:
    Munch wrote:
    NibCrom wrote: »
    So comic storage options...

Bag and board 'em
    Bind 'em

Any other options?
    I keep thinking about getting all my full runs together, buying a big mess of acid-free sheet protectors, and putting them in three-ring binders.

That way I could print out custom spine/cover designs if I wanted to, and store them on a shelf, without going to the trouble and expense of binding them.

The only problem, is that I can't find sheet protectors that are close enough to comic book dimensions, so the issues would flop and slide around anytime you picked the binder up.

Is there any way to put wires between the pages so that the books can still be read in the binder?

That's a thing you could do, I bet. Libraries do that for magazines. I think the libraries do it to keep people from stealing them.

The solution to this sort of thing is to buy tpbs and graphic novels.

Yeah, I'm planning on making a pseudo-tpb of all 52 #1's. I can lend it out to my school's comics club, and save it in case it gains some monetary value as a curiosity.

For XMen, just get a trade of the original XMen run and go through the issues in order.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I guess Daredevil comes out next week.

What are the good comics about Vikings? There is Northlanders, right? I think there are more, but I don't know the names.

Is Northlanders good?
    Has anyone read Viking?

• Options
    Northlanders is apparently well regarded, that's about the only viking comic I know of.

• Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    Northlanders is absolutely brilliant and cancelled.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BigDes wrote:
    Northlanders is absolutely brilliant and cancelled.

Ah, dammit.

• Options
    cancelled yes, but 50 issues is a pretty good run

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I loved the first trade of Northlanders ("Sven the Returned") so much. Every subsequent one, I was kinda disappointed with (well, I also liked "Plague Widow"). It might be because basically all the stories other than "Sven the Returned" end with brutality and misery for the protagonist. I suppose that's very true-to-life (pretty sure life wasn't all frankincense and peaches in those times), but I still end up depressed when I finish each trade. I still keep buying them, though, so I guess they're doing something right. Or I'm doing something wrong.

• Options
    Hm. Thanks, guys.

• Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Delduwath wrote:
    I loved the first trade of Northlanders ("Sven the Returned") so much. Every subsequent one, I was kinda disappointed with (well, I also liked "Plague Widow"). It might be because basically all the stories other than "Sven the Returned" end with brutality and misery for the protagonist. I suppose that's very true-to-life (pretty sure life wasn't all frankincense and peaches in those times), but I still end up depressed when I finish each trade. I still keep buying them, though, so I guess they're doing something right. Or I'm doing something wrong.

the part in the first story where he totally ambushes a bunch of guys disguised as a dead deer was so insanely badass that i was constantly disappointed that the subsequent stories were never quite as awesome.

newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    50 issues for a Viking comic is a fantastic run.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Servo wrote:
    Delduwath wrote:

the part in the first story where he totally ambushes a bunch of guys disguised as a dead deer was so insanely badass that i was constantly disappointed that the subsequent stories were never quite as awesome.

Oooo this is that comic? I read that damn near five years ago and it still sticks with me. And his old crush is a battered yet somehow badass lady or something? Details are really hazy.

• Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    Alright, I got a question for the likes of Munch and Tex. I wanna start reading Booster Gold, Blue Beetle and JLI, starting with Booster. Is there anything I should really read before the getting the current volume? Or a recommended order of reading anyone can give me?

galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    Well, Justice League International has 6 trades out now, covering about the first 30 issues of JLI and the first dozen of Justice League Europe. You could start that no problem, although I don't know if they'll continue those reprints since we've got the reboot coming up.

Booster Gold's first run is available in the Showcase series, which is the black and white DC reprint similar to the Essential volumes. You don't need to read it, but it does the best in establishing Booster Gold as a guy who's all about the dollars, but is also somewhat competent in being a hero (JLI kind of downplays that). The current BG series you could start on its own, but reading 52 first would help establish Booster's intention.

• Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Right, on that note, I wonder if I have a bad version of the Showcase Booster Gold Volume 1. Is the last page of the volume meant to be page 624, showing Beetle looking through a set of shelves?

Wildcat on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    That showcase volume is hard to find, along with the fourth and fifth trades of volume 2.

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Gank wrote:
    Alright, I got a question for the likes of Munch and Tex. I wanna start reading Booster Gold, Blue Beetle and JLI, starting with Booster. Is there anything I should really read before the getting the current volume? Or a recommended order of reading anyone can give me?
    First read Showcase Presents: Booster Gold, then Justice League International, then Formerly Known as the Justice League, then I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League, then OMAC Project (even though I'm not a fan of it, it sets up a lot of stuff as far as Booster's new characterization goes), then all of 52, then Booster Gold: 52 Pick-Up, then Booster Gold: Blue and Gold, then skip all of Dan Jurgens' junk, and just read Booster Gold: Past Imperfect.

That'll give you a pretty good idea of who Booster is, and how he's evolved as a character over the past few decades.

• Options
    Wildcat, that is the last page for me too. I'm kind of surprised the BG Showcase is out of print/hard to find, since it's only one volume I thought it would do better than getting some wacky silver age book out on the shelf, like Phantom Stranger or The Witching Hour.

• Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    Thanks Tex; the way the binding was set up there's a kind of ridge that made it look as if a page or two had been torn out so I wasn't sure.

• Options
    ThePrimmThePrimm Registered User regular
    I was wondering what are some good hulk books to read?

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Planet Hulk is good and doesn't require any prior knowledge about the character's history

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Read Jeff Parker's Red Hulk: Scorched Earth. It is fantastic.

• Options
    I am a fan of Greg Pak's entire run on Hulk.

Peter David is considered the definitive one though.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    Bill Mantlo's Hulk run is the best Hulk run.

• Options
    ThePrimmThePrimm Registered User regular
    Alright thanks for the suggestions. I think I will start with Planet Hulk

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    So, what are some reccomendations to an action loving, angst-hating Marvel virgin?

I like Captain America, Ironman and SHEILD, the more military themed stuff. Heavy points for good, consistant art, clever tactics, and good dialog.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    For SHIELD stuff, Johnathan Hickman's Secret Warriors. It is super-espionage at its finest.

Cap and Iron Man are trickier. They have great runs, but are fraught with drama. So, if you don't want any "angst" or the similar you are a little screwed.

I'd give Captain America Vol. 1, The Winter Soldier by Ed Brubaker a shot and see if you like it. It's very military in tone, and somewhat dark.

Invincible Iron Man Vol. 1 by Matt Fraction has lots of funny bits of dialogue and what not but Tony battles his inner demons constantly.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Oh I assumed he meant that Cap and Iron Man were what he had already read.

Yeah def Brubaker's Cap

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    The sure cure for angst fatigue is always Marvel Adventures.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I like the characters, but I'm not super familar with their TPBs.

• Options
    For angst free Captain America, start with Mark Waid's Cap stuff

Operation Rebirth
    To Serve & Protect
    American Nightmare
    Red Glare (not yet released

• Options
    MattieMattie Registered User regular
    I have a good collection of classic incredible Hulk comics from issue 8 to 200, only missing the issue of Wolverine's first appearance(s). Is it worth looking out for issues 1-7, 180 and 181 or are they still butt-rapingly expensive? I haven't looked them up since the early 00s.

3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • Options
    Has anyone read the new CrossGen stuff

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]