As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Resistance 3 -- Gabe: "One of the best shooters I've played"

JAEFJAEF Unstoppably BaldRegistered User regular
edited September 2011 in Games and Technology
Official Box Art by Olly Moss, who also made this totally rad version

5731024093_7d4063eb5f_z.jpg

Trailer

Single player

Multiplayer

Resistance series timeline (contains spoilers)
Trophy list (also spoilers)

Resistance 3's story:
After ending Nathan Hale's life, Joseph Capelli realizes the futility of attempting to overwhelm the Chimeran forces with pure military might. He meets Susan, Nathan Hale's step-sister, marries and has a son, Jack. Thanks to a sample from Hale's corpse, Dr. Fydor Malikov develops a vaccine for the Chimeran infestation which by the time R3 starts is in the hands of almost all of the remaining human population. The Chimeran invasion has been a resounding success and only stragglers and pockets of human resistance remain. Malikov finds Capelli in Oklahoma and convinces him to come on one final mission to New York to save humanity. It begins.

Things of note:
  • Campaign co-op is back with dual log-in support for trophies
  • Campaign shifts focus from militaristic combat themes to more personal struggles for survival as humanity stands on its last legs
  • Brown
  • Multiplayer PvE/cooperative mode doesn't look like it will be returning
  • Multiplayer limited to 16 players with deathmatch/objective based modes and level up/perk/customization/killstreak reward systems a la CoD
  • Full Move and 3D support
  • Brownerer
  • You can hold all the weapons at once like R:FoM, 2 weapon limit scrapped. Weapons are also upgradeable in single player.
  • Limited health returns for single and multi, healthpacks included
  • While not maintaining the ultimate brown-ness of Resistance: Fall of Man, R3 will eschew the color of R2 in favor of a grungier, darker, brownerierer look to carry its theme.
  • Brownerest

Pre-order Bonuses
Gamestop: Cheap necklace and start multiplayer at level 5
Wal-Mart: 5 custom titles for online play
Amazon: Air Fuel Grenade weapon usable in single player
Best Buy: Nathan Hale skin for multiplayer (as he looked at the end of R2)
Others: Black Ops (from Resistance 1/2, not the Modern Warfare game) skin for multiplayer

Resistance 3. Let's talk about it.

JAEF on

• JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Multiplayer changes look dis-a-fucking-pointing. I guess it'll be OK? Kind of sad to see one of the more unique offerings get so homogenized for a mass audience.

JAEF on
  • BladeOfSanjuroBladeOfSanjuro Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    We'll have to see at the beta... the mp levels never really seemed that inspired in either iteration, the co-op ones in 2 were pretty good. I loved the sp from the first game.... the sequel, not so much.

BladeOfSanjuro on
    steam_sig.png
  • VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I loved R2 so I'll still try the final product when it comes out.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wait, Multiplatform? When did that happen? I know the studio went multiplatform but I haven't heard anything about this being out for the 360.

Kyougu on
    edited March 2011
    Even the standard maps in Resistance 2 had unique feels in their construction and design, the one map they're demoing looks far flatter and more basic in the CoD style. It's pretty glaring if you played R2 multi very much.

JAEF on
    edited March 2011
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Wait, Multiplatform? When did that happen? I know the studio went multiplatform but I haven't heard anything about this being out for the 360.
    Woops, went back to that article. Looks like I misread it. This one here. Looking at some other news bits apparently their new franchise, whatever that is, will be multiplatform. My bad.

JAEF on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I like that they've gone back to having all your weapons available at once. It sucked in R2 only having 2 guns.

-Loki- on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh thank God local co-op is back in. I'll be getting this.

urahonky on
    edited March 2011
    I definitely like the cleaned up look. Also tons of blood is always super duper in a more surreal environment like Resistance has. R2 always felt a bit visually "dry" due to the lack of dev time and frilly effects.

JAEF on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That may be brown as hell, but it's a very pretty brown...

Donovan Puppyfucker on
    edited March 2011
    That may be brown as hell, but it's a very pretty brown...
    Less:
    resistance3xk2.jpg

More:
    holding-the-line-scott-wyatt.jpg

JAEF on
  • johnnythefifthjohnnythefifth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This looks pretty cool. Can't wait to try it.

johnnythefifth on
    The enemy's gate is always down!
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Don't mind the multiplayer, but why did they take out the awesome coop-mode? Sounds like a step backwards for no reason.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't know if you could online Coop that mode from 2, but local coop in that mode was short of impossible with only 2 players locally. extremely unfun.

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
    edited March 2011
    Online co-op of R2 was good for a while, but it got boring really fast. Grinding the same map over and over again to get the skills.

urahonky on
  • KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Animations still aren't their strong point, that's for sure. Looks enjoyable!

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I really like the PvE multi in R2. Its a shame to see its gone. Based on what I've seen this is not a day one for me like the last one. I'll wait till I see some reviews.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
    edited March 2011
    Resistance of Duty: The Homogening

JAEF on
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    JAEF wrote: »
    Resistance of Duty: The Homogening

Come on now, from what we've seen they're trying to get away from CoD.
    - No regenerating health
    - Weapon wheel/more then two weapons
    - The enemies aren't russian
    - Different types of enemies

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I really loved the first game.
    All the talk about the huge differences in 2 has scared me from putting down the money for it.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I liked how RE2 got rid of the weapon wheel. I tended to hoard ammo for the more powerful guns where as with two weapons I'd forget trying to conserve and just use it up then grab something else. Ah well I hope they know what they are doing.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    greeble wrote: »
    I liked how RE2 got rid of the weapon wheel. I tended to hoard ammo for the more powerful guns where as with two weapons I'd forget trying to conserve and just use it up then grab something else. Ah well I hope they know what they are doing.

The problem with losing the weapon wheel for a 2 weapon system is it felt more like a CoD clone and less like an insomniac game. Insomniac games are always about having a lot of big shooty guns with lots of guys to shoot. There's nothing wrong with keeping that tradition with something that's a gritty shooter. It at least helps set it apart from the rest of the gritty shooters out there.

-Loki- on
    edited April 2011
    So recently announced full Move and 3D support (via PSBlog) and there's a new over-the-shoulder video of multiplayer (crank it to 1080p for visibility) here:

Some interesting perks

Overall I'm really disappointed at how CoD-with-Resistance-flavor it looks. We'll see what they do in the next 5½ months.

JAEF on
  • MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The biggest issues I had with R2, the way the single player story was presented felt disjointed and pointless. The first game had intermissions telling you hey this is what's going on here and why it's important. R2 had a cutsceen that realy didn't explain much of anything most of the time.

The R2 co-op was glorious and I'm sad to see that it's not comming back but the multiplayer was shit. Not because of the 60 man games but because most of the guns did terrible damage even the shotgun. The only guns worth using in R2's multi were the bullseye and fareye. Anything else the bullet spread was too bad to kill more than one person per clip. While the COD damage is rediculous for a competitive game R2 was the other end of the spectrum.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
    edited April 2011
    A trip through the flooded woods of Pennsylvania.

Rather dull. I hope the gameplay is tuned up and a bit spicier in the final product, even though this is just a graphics/environment showcase.

JAEF on
  • MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I am disappointed that the instanced co-op is gone. It was my favorite part of R2.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
    edited May 2011
    So we have box art and a single player demo bundled with the Battle: LA Bluray out June 14th. Who the fuck wants that on Bluray.

JAEF on
    edited May 2011
    I liked Battle LA :(

Can't wait for more Resistance though. Completely forgot it wqas this year.

-Loki- on
    edited May 2011
    Resistance 1&2 bundle coming out this summer with some bonus DLC and a skin for R3 thrown in, $40

Pre-order bonuses

JAEF on
    edited June 2011
    Dev diary out on PSBlog.

JAEF on
    edited June 2011
    Still pretty excited for this game. I like Insomniac a lot, so I'll keep purchasing their games.

urahonky on
    edited July 2011
    JAEF on
    Dev Diary: Full Circle

They'll be at Comic-con. Disastrously I can't attend this year, someone get me gameplay impressions.

First 30 minutes of Resistance 3 gameplay with developer commentary. As one should expect, contains Resistance 2 spoilers.

SOCOM 4 purchasers get public beta access August 4th, PSN+ Subscribers get access August 23rd

Spoiler free new trailer is out, looks fantastic. They keep having these radical shifts between each Resistance game in terms of art and design. It's really interesting to see.

Got to play hands-on single and multi at MLG Anaheim, game looks beautiful, controls are tight, having access to all guns again instead of two is nice. The multiplayer does have a very CoD feel, with all the good and bad that entails. Fast paced combat, kill streaks. The character perks/abilities and weapons serve to make it unique enough to stand on its own at least. There is a point capture mode that feels almost identical to TF2's point capture mode which ends up being damn fun. The 3D is.. interesting but difficult to play with. Really cool when scoped in, but a bit of a clusterfuck when you're running around. Overall very cool, expecting great things from the final product.

edited September 2011
    There's also an online game that offers skin/title/XPBoost unlocks that you can redeem once you get R3. It only links with facebook for now (so I'm waiting) but they said it should be able to use just your PSN login soon.

Edit: Looks like they never delivered on that PSN login promise @ http://www.myresistance.net/global/

JAEF on
    edited September 2011
    Looks like there are two new TV spots out just in time for the game's launch. Tomorrow. I know there's a super high anticipation for this game since the whole thread is me posting to myself, so here you are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BzGxkxrZDI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaDVsLhYRik

P.S. that shooter is a pile of crap. Using the Move alone is better.

Edit: The 3D TV/Monitor that does full-screen split-screen via 240hz 3D and glasses running at different shutter speeds comes with Resistance 3 if you preorder it. This works pretty well and is really cool. It's a shame it's $500 with $70 for a second pair of glasses and only two upcoming games compatible so far. Although it was demo'd with some racing game I had never seen. Might've just been a tech demo they whipped up.

JAEF on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    This thread is exceptionally brown.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    so, anyone picking this up today? i really want to, but i have kind of a ridiculous backlog at the moment. i'll probably get it anyway since kmart is giving a $20 coupon with purchase.