As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40k] Commissars and Dinosaurs

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    SJ wrote: »
    Yeah, that's a pretty big fucking deal, too. GW didn't really 'get' upgrade costs until some of the late 4th and 5th edition books started being printed, and how different units need to have different prices for the same upgrades (and they still get it wrong sometimes).

I seem to recall back when I played in 3rd edition that the heavy weapon options for Devestators were typically 10-20 points more than the equivalent single upgrade for a tac squad.

But in general, the costs were the same regardless of unit. Sarge? 15 points. Psword for your sarge? 15 points. Etc.

Heffling on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So another local game night here. Got two games in. Went 0-1-1 so not to bad considering I played two tourney list one with my mess with new units list and the other with a fluffy Emp. Children list. Really big learning night for since I played DE and Grey Knights both for the first time. A lot of fun was had by all. Bat reps and my list follow.

First Game DE Baron list verse my Emperor's Children Offshoot-
    My list 1495
    HQ
    Lucius

Elite
    Termix4
    -1xcombiflamer/2x combimelta
    -heavy flamer
    -lightning claw
    -chainfist
    -icon of slaanesh

Landraider
    -extra armor

Troops
    6x Noise marines
    -6x sonic blasters
    -champ
    -doom siren
    -power weapon
    -melta bombs
    -rhino

6x Noise marines
    -6x sonic blasters
    -champ
    -doom siren
    -power weapon
    -melta bombs
    -rhino

6xnoise marines
    -blastmaster

His DE list from memory
    HQ
    Baron guy

Elites
    Incubi(with baron in a raider)

Troops
    2x wych squads in raiders
    1x warriors with dark lance, maybe 2 squads? There were 2 dark lances but never did much.

Heavy support
    2xRaiders things that have 3 dark lances

And stuff had combat drugs I know that.

Okay well I figured why not, lets pull out a slaanesh list to fight some Eldar. Dark or otherwise. I haven't played DE since 4th edition and then only once. So lots of stuff for me to learn. I asked a lot of questions. The guy is a regular though so he is cool about. I was using Lucius who he had never even scene. It was really my chaos lord in power armor but he tends to swap between special characters. So we roll, capture and control and dawn of war(ugh). He gets to place and go first. I start with just the blastmaster on the board on my objective. He starts with his warriors off at the other corner on his objective. I figure I will only try if I break all his guys first. My list also was a cut down from an 1850 list that was suppose to have some lesser daemons and a prince along with a few upgrades here and there so I lost some models I probably would need to take his objective. I figured a tie is cool with me.

Turn 1- He stuff rolls onto the board, most of it going full out. A couple of lance shots go into my men in the ruins where my objective is. I lose 1 marine. Not a very productive first turn for him.

My turn everything rolls on 6 inches, I rather shoot stuff than worry about running into the doom that awaits me with his wych squads. My shooting wrecks one raider, stuns one and wipes out 8 wychs in the dead raider. Not a bad turn I will take it.

Turn 2-His guys move up best they can, barons raider sits under my objective but doesn't get out. He immobilizes my land raider and takes a lascannon. Also gets the battlecannon off the defiler. Another noise marine dies to fire too. One of the wrecked raiders contents move up but can't assault and the 3 wychs left from the exploded raider assault my noise squad. My marines take down 1 wych and lose 2 marines. Save his fearless save. Goes to my turn with a tasty treat in range for Lucius

I see his wyches in range, unload Lucius and company, move up 6 to be in 1 inch of them. Let the doom sirens wail killing a few of them. And then charge. The wyches are wiped out in a one combat. No losses on my end. Looking good for me! I figure one group of noise marines should start heading for his objective to maybe contest and I can win this thing. I at this point forgot about the Baron.

Turn 3- Time to unleash his nasty surprise on me. The Baron and his Incubi charge into my terminators and Lucious. My rhino going to his objective does to lance fire. My defiler loses its autocannon and is immobilized. And thus is out of the game for intents and purposes. This leads to the Baron charging my termis and Lucius. He had re-rolls with his combat drugs and puts all his attacks on the termis. He is afraid of the armor on Lucius. He then proceeds to do 1 wound with the Baron. Lucius returns the favor dealing none to the Baron but kills 1 incubi. My guys end up kill 1 more incubi but lose 2 termis. Combat goes another round.

My turn I get out of one Rhino so my noise marines near Lucius can charge in and support. My other 6 start running back to my in troubled objective. My guys in combat hold out one more round but die before I reach it. Baron destroys the termis this turn. But Lucius and company fight back putting 2 wounds on him. Leaving him with 1 wound. He stays this way till the end of turn 4. My guys make all their no retreat saves which makes the armor hit the Baron. This ends up killing him actually.

Turn 4- I lose 3 marines in the running noise squad to lance fire. His wyches wipe out my squad and take the objective. Baron is by himself this turn, kills all but my champ and Lucius. And then on the return damage from the armor of shrieking souls fails his rolls and dies. Lucius consumes his soul for another fight and moves toward my vindi and the champ towards the Rhino.

My turn, vindi moves up, Lucius can't get to the wych squad instead hits them with doom siren killing them. Noise marines get just into the ruins taking cover and the objective. My vindi kills one of the lance boats(3 lance things) Asp Champ I forgot to put in the Rhino.

Turn 5- If it goes one more turn after this I lose I know it. But my vindi is keeping stuff under control Dark Lances destroy my lone Aspiring Champion from the Baron combat. My guys on the objective live through fire. And he has no way to contest.

I fire what I can, don't kill anything. And roll to see if it ends. Game ends in a tie 1 objective to 1 objective. I was proud.

I am going to skip the Grey Knights, I made some big mistakes(not putting my defiler in cc in the first turn on Mordrak and while Kharn and my zerkers were there. Not realizing he was instant killable and so on. Would changed the game but at the end didn't matter. I have to change how I play to fight the new GK. Charging head first into them isn't going to work.

Also I fielded today a almost 100% painted army. All my troops were painted and all but my landraider and a vidi were as well. It was really cool.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ehh, now that I got a full company... I should probably start putting together a list or two for play.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Also I fielded today a almost 100% painted army. All my troops were painted and all but my landraider and a vidi were as well. It was really cool.

Back when my friend and I played all the fucking time, we only used fully painted armies, besides my Predator which was permanently basecoated but not painted (because it was an old 2nd edition Predator and I hated it). Terrain was also all fully painted. It made games so much better.

Occasionally when his brothers joined in for a round of Carnage it was really distracting, seeing my fully painted Salamanders, his fully painted Black Templars/Imperial Fists/Night Lords/Tau/whatever he decided to field and their unpainted Tyranids, Orks, Dark Angels and Necrons.

Seriously, unpainted Necrons. That's so lazy.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    saluksic wrote: »
    I think the best thing to come out of discussions of rules and balancing is the everything has a proper cost. Nothing is underwhelming or over-powered if you give it the right price. From there, its very hard to make a 'good' or 'bad' list at all; if you take bad units, you just get more of them.

Except Chaos Spawn and Ethereals. Even for free they would be overcosted :P

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I have to come up with a 1250 point army for next weekend. Not really very pumped about that :cry:

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Stupid/awesome 40k idea of the day;
    Paint/convert a Wych squad to look like the cast of Mortal Kombat.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    bombboybombboy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I've been practicing with my 500 point Space Puppies and put down some cash to build up to 1000. Currently in the process of building new units and really getting into it. So much so that I also picked up paints and what not so I could get to painting them when they're built. Can't wait! :D

bombboy on
    XBL - BombBoyGT | PSN - BombBoyGT | Steam - BombBoy | BF4
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Stupid/awesome 40k idea of the day;
    Paint/convert a Wych squad to look like the cast of Mortal Kombat.

That would be so awesome.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    What do my Tyranidbros think about this weird list for a 1250 point tourney where I don't know the scenarios yet:
    HT 265 scytal, wings, adrenal glands, hive commander
    zoanthropes 170 2x zoans in mycetic spore w/ cluster spines
    zoanthropes 170 2x zoans in mycetic spore w/ cluster spines
    genestealers 112 8 genestealers
    genestealers 112 8 genestealers
    harpy 180 TL heavy venom cannon, adrenal glands
    gargoyles 120 x15, adrenal glands, toxin sacs
    gargoyles 120 x15, adrenal glands, toxin sacs

I could cut out some of the points on the spores, adrenal glands on MCs and take a tervigon outflanking instead of one of the genestealer units (due to hive commander).

Basic idea is reserve everything and try to destroy their line on turn 2/3.

edit: before you yell at me, I won't change the HT's weapons. Overlord Muggis uses scy tals only

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Argh! Why do Imperial Guard vehicles have to have so many goddamn rivets on them? Everything is riveted. Everything!

Even some of the rivets!

That is all.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    For rivets I take a sharpie and after the whole thing is painted I just sharpie dot each rivet and dry brush on a little silver

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    OminousLozengeOminousLozenge Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    @muggins

Win or lose, I think you're going to have a lot of fun with that list. If you can take some photos and do a battle report after, I'd really enjoy reading it.

re: adding a Tervigon, I don't think you can drop a Genestealer unit to add her, since you need 2 troops choices, and Tervigons only count if you have a unit of Termagants. Personally, I like putting toxin sacs on my Genestealers, but in practice their benefits seem to be pretty situational.

I've never played around with the Harpy. I'm especially curious about your results with it once you play.

OminousLozenge on
    Sometimes I have ideas for things.
  • Options
    CounterspinCounterspin Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Looks good, though zoans over hive guard seems weird at that level because you're going to see a lot more light than heavy armor. But you can't pod hive guard, so go with the theme.

Counterspin on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I love this picture

squadmorpheustactica.jpg

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Personally, I like putting toxin sacs on my Genestealers, but in practice their benefits seem to be pretty situational.
    If you're facing mostly T4 enemies, toxin sacs on Genestealers are incredible. An oft-forgotten feature of Poison is that if you would normally wound the model on the same value as the poison value - in this case, 4+ - you reroll failed wounds. As Genestealers are also Rending, this allows you to dramatically increase the number of Rending wounds done.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I love the extra barrels. That is the best.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Personally, I like putting toxin sacs on my Genestealers, but in practice their benefits seem to be pretty situational.
    If you're facing mostly T4 enemies, toxin sacs on Genestealers are incredible. An oft-forgotten feature of Poison is that if you would normally wound the model on the same value as the poison value - in this case, 4+ - you reroll failed wounds. As Genestealers are also Rending, this allows you to dramatically increase the number of Rending wounds done.

Yeah I agree, I usually take my genestealers with toxin sacs. Unfortunately the tournament is running a tiny points level so I'm sacrificing that

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    First draft of an all jump pack BA list, inspired by a bols article a couple weeks ago. Mostly for fun, but I would like to win games once in a while too:
    HQ:
    Dante

Elite:
    2x Sanguinary Priest w/ infernus pistol, power sword, & jump pack

Chaplain w/ melta bombs & jump pack

Troops:
    5 Sanguinary Guard. 1 w/ power fist & infernus pistol

Troops:
    10 Assault Marines. Flamer, melta gun. Infernus pistol, power weapon & melta bombs on sergeant

Another unit as above

Fast Attack:
    5 Vanguard Veterans. Jump packs. Sergeant w/ infernus pistol & two more w/ power weapons

1500 total

Obviously an elite army. Idea is Dante rolls with the sanguinary guard and one priest which all drop in close range to a threatening vehicle to put three melta shots into it. The other priest and the chaplain go with one of the assault squads either by deep strike or normal deployment, and the other assault squad stays nearby for the priest's bubble. Veterans are used to take out/tie up high threat targets the turn they drop in.

It occurs to me now that the veterans are lacking much anti tank at all besides a single infernus pistol, so they would only be useful against things with a toughness value. Maybe I should drop the infernus pistol on the sergeant for three melta bombs since they won't be shooting the turn they come in with Heroic Intervention.

The army as a whole, besides Dante's unit, is pretty highly reliant on good deep strike rolls, but descent of angels mitigates it quite a bit.

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I've been reading through a metric ton of Black Library books. Every one I read just makes me want to make a different theme army. I've been skipping around the Horus Heresy series, but I recently finished The First Heretic...it made me want to make a Heresy-Era or PH Word Bearers army. They just sound ridiculously cool (strikingly similar to Black Templars though), I want to take a bunch of marines and deck them out in purity seals and parchment.

Unfortunately the last thing I need to do right now is start another marine army. My Eldar are being ordered soon, I still have a ton of Templars to paint (stuck on lots of vehicles that I hate painting), and a bunch of Warmachine.

I hate thinking about my painting backlog.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    mr_mich wrote: »
    Does anyone else here seasonally get into/out of 40k?

Every winter I get a total hardon for plastic minis and bust out my legions of unpainted guard. I paint them, get too shy to go to the local GW, and then put them away once the weather gets nice. Must be because I'm so outdoorsy...:P

Nobody has trouble staying in this hobby, seasonally or otherwise? It seems like I get discouraged not just by lack of local players, but also by rule changes/price hikes/target demographics that seem to get further away from me every day...

Inspire me, Arcadians.

mr_mich on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    40k is a social game. If you have people to play with who you like playing with you are set. If they are close friends that is even better because even if the rules change no one makes you change. Money wise though it is annoying that prices go up, but there are lots of tricks(magnetizing for one) you can use when building to get lots of options in one kit.

But it all comes down to having people to play with.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If I had no one to play with, I would definitely not be where I am at with 40k. As it is though, I have a pretty good local community, even if I have to drive 30 minutes + to get to any game store.

I think that's super important.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    KublaKhanKublaKhan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    mugginns wrote: »
    I love this picture

*snip*

The flamer guy looks so sad.

Started a new job this week that goes too late for me to reliably make after work games anymore :(

If anyone in the NYC area (I'm in Manhatten) is interested in some weekend games whenever, send me a PM, I play BA/Eldar/Nids.

KublaKhan on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Does anyone else here seasonally get into/out of 40k?

Every winter I get a total hardon for plastic minis and bust out my legions of unpainted guard. I paint them, get too shy to go to the local GW, and then put them away once the weather gets nice. Must be because I'm so outdoorsy...:P

Nobody has trouble staying in this hobby, seasonally or otherwise? It seems like I get discouraged not just by lack of local players, but also by rule changes/price hikes/target demographics that seem to get further away from me every day...

Inspire me, Arcadians.

Even GW games are pretty econimical compared to, say, video games.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Depends on your definition of "economical." If we're talking hours of enjoyment per dollar spent, then probably.

Regardless, the problem is that I don't know anyone in the area that plays. Combine my reluctance to jump into a pool of neckbeard's flopsweat and the fact that none of my close group of friends show an iota of interest, and my passion just kind of fizzles out after a few months I guess. :(

Anyone here in MD? :)

mr_mich on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Theres your problem then. 40k is a social game, you play it with other people. If no one in your group of friends wants to play, and you have no interest going to an LGS to get a game, then you're not going to get any gaming out of it, which is kind of the point of the hobby.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Anyone here in MD? :)

Yes. Where in MD are you?

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Elkridge? About 10 minutes from Arundel Mills, if that helps.

mr_mich on
  • Options
    saluksicsaluksic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My interest in 40k is not a function of seasons, but definitely correlates to my employment level.

Speaking of which, I had an interview at the national lab yesterday. Very similar to the job I just got, but it would give me more time to paint minis and even more money to buy them with.

saluksic on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/storelocator/results.jsp?searchCat=store-finder&showIndependantRetailers=on&searchMode=spatial&street=&city=elkridge&postalCode=21075&spatial_country=US&radius=10&origin=39.21121%2C-76.74271&return=null

This should help. You can't meet other players if you're not going where the people who play the games are. I usually play at the St Thomas GW, but that's the opposite side of Baltimore from you, so that doesn't really help. On the up side, you should be somewhere in the general vincinity of the new Battle Bunker, which is supposed to be somewhere south of Glen Burnie, IIRC, and big stores full of tables are, surprisingly, good places to play. ;-)

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/storelocator/results.jsp?searchCat=store-finder&showIndependantRetailers=on&searchMode=spatial&street=&city=elkridge&postalCode=21075&spatial_country=US&radius=10&origin=39.21121%2C-76.74271&return=null

This should help. You can't meet other players if you're not going where the people who play the games are. I usually play at the St Thomas GW, but that's the opposite side of Baltimore from you, so that doesn't really help. On the up side, you should be somewhere in the general vincinity of the new Battle Bunker, which is supposed to be somewhere south of Glen Burnie, IIRC, and big stores full of tables are, surprisingly, good places to play. ;-)

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Unfortunately, I know where the stores are. Like I said, it's just daunting to try and start from a blank slate and form an entirely new social circle around a hobby from scratch. Considering that I used to enjoy painting/playing/drinking with my good friends before I went to college, it's not something I can just walk into a store and do. I'm pretty outgoing and sociable, just lazy. Plus, I've had enough awful games against randos to know that it'll be a painstaking process to try and meet a good crew by just showing up and playing strangers...

mr_mich on
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Altmann and I throwing down in Vassal for as long as the servers hold up! :P

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    so far my loganwing is holding up. Just swatted a khorne Demon Prince out of the sky and took no wounds. Of course, vassal has a rather finnicky rolling system that seems to go apeshit with trends...

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    And its trend is that it hates me this game. It loved me during my game with Slap though, so I guess its karma?

Nax on
    The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    Mystery.ShadowMystery.Shadow Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Argh! Why do Imperial Guard vehicles have to have so many goddamn rivets on them? Everything is riveted. Everything!

Even some of the rivets!

That is all.

Guess everyone forgot how to weld in the 41st Millennium. Of course, if you can't stand rivets, you could always sand them off the model.

Mystery.Shadow on
    WARNING! MMO Addiction can Prevent Long-Term Employment, a Meaningful Relationship, and Financial Independence. When's the Next Raid?

I Spent 90% of my Money on Women and Warhammer. The Rest I Wasted.
  • Options
    Mystery.ShadowMystery.Shadow Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    altmann wrote: »
    If I had no one to play with, I would definitely not be where I am at with 40k. As it is though, I have a pretty good local community, even if I have to drive 30 minutes + to get to any game store.
    I think that's super important.

True, very true. If I did not have a close group of friends who play 40k, I would not be playing. They got me into the game, and most still play. When we go out, there's always someone talking 40k. -Or at least making references.

I've made many good friends playing the game as well.

Mystery.Shadow on
    WARNING! MMO Addiction can Prevent Long-Term Employment, a Meaningful Relationship, and Financial Independence. When's the Next Raid?

I Spent 90% of my Money on Women and Warhammer. The Rest I Wasted.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    it's not something I can just walk into a store and do.
    Well, you're kinda gonna havta. I didn't know anyone when I got to Baltimore, so I googled up gaming stores and started checking them out. The staff is there for a reason, and 'I'm new in town, how's the gaming scene for X around here gets a lot of mileage." For GW, I found out there was a store practically down the street in White Marsh. I went in, chatted up the Blackshirt, who directed me to the St Thomas store since I was interested in the specialist games. If you want to play, you're going to have to make an effort to find people because they're not going to be coming to you.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    NAx has giant monsters everywhere and they're eating ME!!!!

altmann on

signature.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Well, the SGD didn't show up until turn 4.... That sucked pretty hard :/ Starting making a comeback when he arrived, but it was too little too late :( A bloody game, for sure

Nax on
This discussion has been closed.