As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[RIFT] of the Fortress (Out Now, Guild Info in OP)

• Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    CorriganX wrote: »
    I really dislike the reuse of lower level graphics for high end armor. :( Got an epic t2 tunic and dagger last night and they're both fresh 50 graphics. Tunic matches the soulbind leather brigandine graphic. D:

At least it looks good. Check out the T2 plate armor. It looks puffy and horrible. I wont even talk about the plaque plate armor without going into a rage. Chain looks absolutely amazing though.

Shens on
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    So after not really following much about any game, I just finally read a review of Rift and it's got me curious. I enjoyed WoW but haven't played in about 2 years, and haven't really played much of an MMO in the meantime either.

Like I said, I enjoyed WoW, but didn't care for Warhammer Online (despite loving the IP), is this game worth getting? Does it feel like it will have some longevity?

It's like a less polished WoW that is different. If you played LOTRO or EQ2 the combat and dungeons feel more like that game than WoW. The rifts and zone invasions are a cool addition to break up the monotony of juts questing, but the newness of them wore off very quickly for me.

It's not a bad game, but if you don't particularly have a desire to play an MMO, I wouldn't play it. My wife and I didn't play any MMOs for about a year, then tried out Rift and made it about a month before it just drove us back to WoW to play new goblins. It just gave us the feeling of "If we're going to toy around with an MMO, we may as well make it the better one."

Counter opinion: Pretty much every single thing that is different is better in Rift. WOW is WOW, and if you want WOW, play WOW. Rift is similar to WOW, but different enough to be worth playing even if you've had your fill of WOW and want another MMO.

programjunkie on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I really dislike the reuse of lower level graphics for high end armor. :( Got an epic t2 tunic and dagger last night and they're both fresh 50 graphics. Tunic matches the soulbind leather brigandine graphic. D:

I'm wondering at what level as a rogue I won't be wearing the same chestpiece graphic as I got from the freemarch planarite vendor

override367 on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just start rolling on caster gear and wear cloth.

Say you need it to raise your diplomacy stat if anyone complains.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm looking at the game too, my brother just got it and has had a lot of fun.

Is there a Guardian PvP group or are the only PA guilds the Defiant ones?

Also, classes wise, is there a sword & board dps/controller option?

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My only complaint is that as a warrior the helmets could be better, graphics wise. I'm level 37 and I haven't had a normal looking helmet in about 20 levels.

My main complaint for the game is that the variability of the different armors in this game is pretty low, at least so far that I have noticed and I've gotten to the early-mid 30's with my characters.

And some of the helmet designs seem to be really random and ugly, those skull masks rogues seem to get, or the bald caps you can get as a mage....

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    question on the rested bonus: how long does one get the rested bonus for?

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2011
    How would a level 20 warrior tank spec look? I'm decidedly undecided at the moment.

Echo on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    question on the rested bonus: how long does one get the rested bonus for?

You get 200% XP from kills while rested, and it's not timed. You get a specific amount of rested XP based on how long you've been in a city or logged off in a city. I'm not sure how long measures to how much XP or what the cap is (if there is one).

Just always log off in a city.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    TierwulfTierwulf Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Six Mouths T2 expert DSM run from last night, end boss.

Tierwulf on
    Teknotier on PSN

www.twitch.tv/Teknotier
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I wish it was a purp, but it's still a rad looking gun:
    20110404011621.jpg

Figgy on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wow Tier, do you have your sound down to nothing or something :<?

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just bought this today, about to log on...how active are the guilds? I will probably go for the PvE Knights of Arcadia.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Fairly active, just be sure to do /join PennyArcade to join the channel so you can easily be added.

Arthil on
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Six mouths on Sunrest is extremely active. We have a group clearing out Tier 1 and Tier 2s every night, and more 50s coming in. Trying to set up a second group to run through all the tier 1s and 2s. We should be up to raid rifts soon, as soon as we get a few more gear pieces for the fresher faces.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Six mouths on Sunrest is extremely active. We have a group clearing out Tier 1 and Tier 2s every night, and more 50s coming in. Trying to set up a second group to run through all the tier 1s and 2s. We should be up to raid rifts soon, as soon as we get a few more gear pieces for the fresher faces.

Hmm thats cool...I may join up there then. How are the PVP servers? Im just worried about joining a gank fest.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    In my experience there isn't much ganking until you get to the higher end zones, and then only when a guild is getting a raid group set up. But I was ahead of the leveling curve for the most part, so that may be different now.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    ChronocideChronocide Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    MegaMek wrote: »
    In my experience there isn't much ganking until you get to the higher end zones, and then only when a guild is getting a raid group set up. But I was ahead of the leveling curve for the most part, so that may be different now.

I started to get ganked pretty often from late on in Stonefield. The positioning of Foul Cascade is just awful for Eth and I would constantly get ganked trying to get to it.

Chronocide on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The very highest zone, Stillmoor, can be a major crapshoot on certain nights. The good thing is that we're usually good about coming out to beat some ass of gankers. The bad news is that I killed a -LOT- of people, and they really really hate me. This may rub off on other guildies. I know theres been a lot of higher level six mouthers that have a rep for whooping some ass.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yay. The culmination of way too many hours of grinding out experts today!
    92F812B712325FF83F4A437E9E4B31D5662B5220

My stats with mostly t2 gear, and the achievement for finishing off every expert.

My pve spec for anyone thats interested. Assassin/NB/Bard

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

If we all remember six years ago, way back when WoW was in its infancy, when Tier 2 was first put in the game, it was basic armor graphics re-used, then updated to reflect something more shiney. Hopefully, we'll see the same updates in Rift.

Semi-related. Does WoW have more polish? Yes, but I'm willing to bet in 1912, the Titanic was the most polished ship in the world.

Vanilla WoW was very different from Cat WoW, but I feel like they've gone about as far as they can given the framework the game is built on.

I think mechanically, Rift is a very sound game. I especially like the flexibility the character Soul system provides. I'm hoping as the game envolves, they can envolve the genre more and more, just like WoW did.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Email subject line from Trion: RIFT (tm) game access suspended

Me: Who? What the fuck? What the who? Fuck the what?

Email body content from Trion: On Apr 4, 2011, the time included on your Game Time Card or Initial Period has expired and your access to RIFT is now deactivated.

Me: Oh. Oh, well yeah. Here's my CC.

Dear Trion: Word choice matters; hire an English major. :lol:

Straygatsby on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Haha...I don't normally think an email like that would be a problem if everyone in the world didn't get ten emails a day from "Blizzard" telling them that their World of Warcraft account has been suspended.:lol:

ironzerg on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    That's a valid use of "suspend"; access to your account is suspended until reactivated. Blizzard should grow some balls and say "you're banned for three days, fucker" instead.

Echo on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Really enjoying my riftstalker, and it pairs up well with my wifes bard, its awesome rift hunting and being the only tank and healer in the raid and still bashing shit down.

I'm hella worried about FC though.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So after not really following much about any game, I just finally read a review of Rift and it's got me curious. I enjoyed WoW but haven't played in about 2 years, and haven't really played much of an MMO in the meantime either.

Like I said, I enjoyed WoW, but didn't care for Warhammer Online (despite loving the IP), is this game worth getting? Does it feel like it will have some longevity?

I was pretty much in this situation as well. I played and loved WoW for close to 4 1/2 years (on and off) but when Cataclysm came out, it was my final straw. It all sounded so good on paper, with re-designing the world and changing everything... but mechanically it was still the exact same game and I had just had enough.

Playing RIFT, it feels quite familiar and yet for the time being, it's different enough that I'm having fun. The questing system is tried and true, but rifts and invasions have thus far gone a long way towards mixing things up and keeping the action fresh. There's something quite awesome in seeing a few dozen people riding together towards a giant boss monster and engaging him in combat.

My biggest problem with this game is that I can't decide what I want to play. Every class is so flexible in what they can do, that I want to try everything. Yeah, Champions are awesome and do lots of damage, but I like being at range in groups. To that end, I switch between my Marksman/Ranger with awesome bow action, and my Pyromancer/Elementalist who just explodes everything. I also am really digging my Cleric, who is a Shaman/Druid; yeah he doesn't kill things quite as fast as a Champion, but man is he invincible.

So basically, I absolutely feel like I'm getting plenty of value for the price of the box. We'll see how I feel once my 30 days are up, however. :)

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I do like the flexibility of the classes. Its like a wow final fantasy XI hybrid for the class system. You have your base class in Warrior, Rogue, Cleric, Or Mage, and then with the soul system you can be completey different, and with 4 available roles its just a quick out of combat swap away. That's great for flexibility. And its absolutely awesome that all roles can be one of the holy 2.

Also having played Lotro I'm glad that instances in this actually fucking matter for gear drops/quests.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I was a little worried about the instances after starting out with Iron Tomb, which I think pretty much anyone will agree is pretty tedious in terms of trash and length. I did like that even starter dungeon bosses had, you know, actual mechanics.

Did FC last night with Overflag, and it while there was still a good bit of uninteresting trash, I again liked that the bosses had at least some modicum of fight dynamic. I was overleveled as the healer @ 34, and I still actually had to pay attention to positioning and damage and whatnot just to be on the safe side (and not overspend mana). Of course, we had a mildly disabled hunter sort, but everything else was a good bit of fun. I'm looking forward to the rest of the dungeons, since I sort of zoomed right past DSM and couldn't get a group together. I guess I really need to learn my justicar spec, but I so much prefer being the healer and Sent with a dash of Warden agrees with my insides.

The only real downside to the run, I think, was like 6 pieces of blue leather and a pair of wands made up the bulk of the drops. It was a sad day for plate and chain wearers in Mudville.

Straygatsby on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Stray you need to run with my wife and I, all we ever see in dungeons is plate and mail, being two rogues we have yet to see a rogue drop in an instance (though we've only done dsm and IT).

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If anyone's interested in checking the game out while saving a few dollars, Amazon has the digital download of the game available for $35. I picked it up last night from them and have joined some of my WoW guildies in checking the game out. I'm still working my way through the intro content, and hoping to make it further than I did during the beta (made it to level 13 during the open beta).

nusu on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    One thing to note for new players, freemarch (defiant side) is definately the longest of the zones I've been in so far (as in time spent there, you go from 7 to 20 there in my experience), but once you get out of it the other zones aren't just freemarch part 2, so there's that to look forward to.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I just hit 20 last night. I'm hesitant to jump into my first Rift Instance with a PUG. Anyone else around who might feel like cutting their newbie teeth on some IT tonight?

ironzerg on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    ironzerg wrote: »
    I just hit 20 last night. I'm hesitant to jump into my first Rift Instance with a PUG. Anyone else around who might feel like cutting their newbie teeth on some IT tonight?

They really aren't that scary. In a good group they are easy, in a bad group they are still doable. What role are you?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'm doing a Chloromancer/Archon/Elemental, with a Pyro off buid I've been playing around with.

My plan is to play a Chloro based Healer end game, so I'd like to start practicing.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, the rifts are by far the easiest to do. Just join a public group, jump in, kill things and heal what you can. Smaller groups can be a challenge if its a elite rift but other wise the only problem from a healing standpoint will be if a lot of support healing from other players is in effect. Then you might not see as much healing. My justicar has that happen occasionally where I'm doing damage but no one is taking enough damage that my support heals get applied.

But there's no penalty for a bad rift other than it closing early which means ... go find another one. =)

Jakarrd on
    Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm waiting for my game to update so played with the character builder some. How accurate are the recommendations? I was looking at Archon and it's recommending Chloromancer and Warlock which at least seem sensible enough, but I haven't actually played yet. And can the souls be changed out if I don't care for them?

Edit: Also, what's the main difference between pvp and pve servers on Rift?

Quid on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Quid wrote: »
    I'm waiting for my game to update so played with the character builder some. How accurate are the recommendations? I was looking at Archon and it's recommending Chloromancer and Warlock which at least seem sensible enough, but I haven't actually played yet. And can the souls be changed out if I don't care for them?

Edit: Also, what's the main difference between pvp and pve servers on Rift?

World PVP is the only difference.

On a PVE server, you can only fight the other faction out in the world if you flag yourself for PVP (or attack someone who is flagged.)

On a PVP server, you can fight the other faction any time you see them outside the starter zones (Freemarch/Silverwood). Again, you can flag yourself in your starter zone if you like.

Warfronts function identically on both server sets.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The recommendations are what it says on the can, and aren't the only viable pairings. You will only be able to change out a soul if a few things have come to pass.

1. You're 13

2. You've done at least one soul quest in Meridian or Sanctum to close a rift and use an item.

3. Respec, or switch out a 0 point soul.

Arthil on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Im in the six mouths as Aavice, go go level 3 !

Elimination on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    What exactly is that "Touch of the Shade" thingie from the event vendor?

Echo on
This discussion has been closed.