As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[RIFT] of the Fortress (Out Now, Guild Info in OP)

• FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am looking pretty seriously at this game but I need this threads totally honest opinions.

Can this game last longer than a few months? The last two MMOs I seriously looked at were APB and Star Trek: Online. I don't even want to talk about APB and Star Trek was fun for about a month and I lost interest.

Also, what is the worst part about this game?

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Morvidus wrote: »
    Ok, Mercy, here's my reaver build that got me from 35-50 very easily. The basis of this build is to do average damage while healing like crazy with Soul Feast, Grisly Works (which procs off even gray mobs), and if needed, Master of the Abyss.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0cAkL.Vuqx0ukzbk.x0c.EGc0zcMMz

Single mobs, pull with Infestation, Soul Sickness, Necrotic Strike, Blood Fever, and drop attack points with Fiery Burst. Spam Searing Strike until it's time to reapply DoTs. When pulling multiple mobs, which is better than one-on-one with this build, queue Plague Bringer, then toss out Soul Sickness, Necrotic Strike, and Blood Fever. You have two elemental AoE finishers, Storm Burst and Earth Burst, and they both have a cooldown. If you pull more than 3 mobs, just use Storm Burst and Cyclone Strike, because the lost damage on the other mobs from Earth Strike isn't worth it. Use Thunder Strike until DoTs fall off. The only reason I took points in Champion was for the finisher boost and extra power, because the power crits on even the smallest DoT tick, and you will be power starved in AoE.

There are some good OHSHIT buttons here. Master of the Abyss is a MASSIVE heal that only gets bigger the more mobs you're fighting, and it seems to crit a lot. It's usually a 75% heal when fighting 5 mobs. Creeping Death is useful for escaping, as it snares every enemy around you for 10 seconds while giving them a DoT. If you have to run, Weakening Essence keeps them away from you. Finally, Tempered Will is a CC breaker.

Since Mercy doesn't believe there's any synergy between reaver and riftblade, here's what I've found.

1. Planar Attunement: Increase DoT damage by 10%. Fiery Burst is a DoT, and even it's base damage is high. Storm Blade is also a DoT.
    2. Rift Fury: Increases non-physical damage by 1.7% for each riftblade point. 27 points = 45.9%. Everything in the reaver tree is non-physical, and if you increase Soul Sickness damage, you increase health gained through Soul Feast!
    3. Power from the Masses: 20% chance per point to reduce damage by 1% for each mob around you, up to 10%. If you have more than 1 mob, everything you do is AoE, including Storm Burst and Thunder Strike.

With 6 mobs around you, you're going to heal for over 700 every 3 seconds, and with the defensive skills taken in this build, most won't do more than 100-150 per attack. The only trouble comes from casters, because they're cocks. At least you'll have Riftwalk for them, but don't try to pull 6 casters, because even a void knight isn't that stupid.

This sounds pretty fun. I will have to try this, but after I hit 40 on my Rogue. GOTTA GET MY GRIND ON. I'm supposed to use a 2h for this AoE-Grind madness, right?

Definitely a two-hander. Searing Strike and Thunder Strike go off weapon damage.

Morvidus on
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    I am looking pretty seriously at this game but I need this threads totally honest opinions.

Can this game last longer than a few months? The last two MMOs I seriously looked at were APB and Star Trek: Online. I don't even want to talk about APB and Star Trek was fun for about a month and I lost interest.

I haven't seen the endgame, but in my opinion, yes.

The worst thing is that fucking Exposed debuff.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Honest opinion: Game is strong now, but it hasn't been out as long. Warhammer looked the same at the same time period, and I cannot give you an objective answer. Right now it's popular and fun, cannot answer for the future.

If you aren't sure, wait a month

override367 on
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Good Parts:

It's polished. There's a lot of flexibility in how you customize your character with the three Soul system. It's clean. It's WoW'y - for better or for worse - in its UI. Rifts are cool, Massive Invasions moreso.

Bad Parts:

Repetitive. You will probably find yourself respeccing your Souls a bit just to keep yourself engaged while you grind quests. Quests are almost exclusively "kill x number of mobs" or "click x amount of clickies." Some of the quests could use some refining ("Did you seriously send me fucking across the zone for this quest, have me come back, turn it in, and give me one that requires me to hike all the way back?"). If you don't dungeon, and you don't have the population in your zone to trigger Massive Invasions, there's extremely little to keep the game fresh.

Right now, I'd say it's a 50/50 buy. There's enough there to make Rift distinct, but there are some gameplay shortfalls that might cause issues down the line - or might not, depending on what Trion does with patching.

That's the thing, though. We haven't even had a first patch. It's very hard to give any definitive answers on which way the game is headed.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    edited March 2011
    It's too early in any MMO to say this close to launch whether its worth it, although hey I bought black ops for $60 and I have 7 hours of playtime in it so, I already got my money's worth on Rift

override367 on
  • buddyleebuddylee Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    There's no way that there can even be a comparison to Warhammer post-launch within the first month.

Warhammer was hemmorhaging subscribers as soon as the bugs, broken content, lopsided mirror classes, the overblown promises and half-completed content were exposed to the light of day. The Beta was a shell game, and release was the cold hard light of reality.

RIFT isn't perfect, but to say that Warhammer looked much like RIFT does post-launch is rather misleading at the least.

My opinion: the game will be a long-time successful MMO. It won't kill WoW, it will be enjoyable and be handled well overall by Trion, falling somewhere above the success of games like EQ2 and LOTRO but not at WoW's level.

BTW - STO is doing well, gets a lot of regular meaningful updates and is still growing in subs. It may not have been everyone's cup of team (it bored me after a while, too), but that's altogether different than is it doing well. It is.

buddylee on
    Jack Burton: "Like I told my last wife, I says, 'Honey, I never drive faster than I can see'. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
    edited March 2011
    Bad Point: needs a way to skip the tutorial or have another way to level up early. While you only need 4 alts, you may not wish to redo the content.

Some of the armor isn't that terrific in appearance. More variety would be nice. Yes, I've read the fashion posts in TOF.

Classes aren't perfect: they are good, but if one expects perfect harmony, its a dream. Like all MMOs, expect to see buffs and nerfs as the devs strive to make it work better.

Worst thing ever: I'm not playing it right now, I'm at work. That truly sucks.

buddylee on
    Jack Burton: "Like I told my last wife, I says, 'Honey, I never drive faster than I can see'. Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
  • MuppetmanMuppetman Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Enjoying my assassin muchly but am curious about Bard. Is it viable for pve dungeon solo heals? How is it in pvp? Anyone able to throw me a spec? I'm currently just shy of lvl 30

Muppetman on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Speaking of PVP, this is my potential PVP Cleric heal build:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00jdx.V0VbssxsR.Vxob.xx0M0c0V0z

Pros:
    - Good healing from sentinel, including combat rez.
    - Moderate DOTs to throw out between heals
    - Purge to be a dick
    - 50% ranged "Mortal Strike" that heals me to be a dick. For 15 seconds. This is a GG if not dispelled ability.
    - 2 minute CC trinket, massive damage reductions, etc.

Any opinions from higher level clerics?

programjunkie on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Bursty damage is the bard's worst nightmare.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
    edited March 2011
    buddylee wrote: »
    There's no way that there can even be a comparison to Warhammer post-launch within the first month.

Warhammer was hemmorhaging subscribers as soon as the bugs, broken content, lopsided mirror classes, the overblown promises and half-completed content were exposed to the light of day. The Beta was a shell game, and release was the cold hard light of reality.

RIFT isn't perfect, but to say that Warhammer looked much like RIFT does post-launch is rather misleading at the least.

My opinion: the game will be a long-time successful MMO. It won't kill WoW, it will be enjoyable and be handled well overall by Trion, falling somewhere above the success of games like EQ2 and LOTRO but not at WoW's level.

BTW - STO is doing well, gets a lot of regular meaningful updates and is still growing in subs. It may not have been everyone's cup of team (it bored me after a while, too), but that's altogether different than is it doing well. It is.

Huh? Not counting head-start, Rift has only been out a few days. Unless you've been averaging 6 or more hours a day it would be very hard to make a distinction between this and AOC or WAR in similar timespans.

The chinks in the armor take a while to show for any new game like this, that's all I'm saying. For most of us here we've played Rift long enough to say "no this is definitely not warhammer, or AOC", but I don't actually fall into that group never having gotten past level 23. I see little evidence the game is going to turn to shit relatively soon, but I can't say it for certain

override367 on
    edited March 2011
    Having played Warhammer from launch, RIFT was already schooling Warhammer in its Beta.

I'm not Nostradamus - my predictions of success aren't written in stone.

But there's no comparison about where Warhammer was at launch in terms of:

- What was promised by EA Mythic vs. what was delivered
    - The missing content(capital cities, classes, etc)

- Bugged content
    - Mismanaged server populations
    - Bright Wizards, Witch Elves and Disciples of Khaine
    - Poorly conceived PvP (the big sell, who the hell PvE'd in WAR?)
    - Shit community relations
    - Rushed to market, and it showed
    - Poor stability and frequent crashes across the board
    - Crap beta testing hidden behind secrecy

I was able to make a distinction in the first hour in Beta 5 that RIFT was a quality production, any portents of success aside. Whether or not Trion made it big with RIFT, the game was obviously well-built and what was promised was what was delivered.

I was nervous enough about WAR that I actually unsubscribed my credit card on the third day I played it, because I could see the writing on the wall and didn't want to necessarily have a recurring subscription if it burned badly. As it was, WAR lumbered on under some momentum through the holiday season, but by Halloween it was pretty damn obvious the populaton had dropped significantly and was going to continue to plummet. I kept on through December on a month-by-month basis, mostly because I'm fan of the IP and the old WFRPG.

In comparison, I paid for a six month subscription with RIFTs, my first after playing any of a huge number of MMOs. The difference for me was quite clear.

Let me put it another way. Scott Hartsman is not Paul Barnette. All that anyone needs to know about the difference in between RIFT and WAR is summed up in those two individuals.

buddylee on
    edited March 2011
    Re-reading, I'm venting for no apparant purpose, we agree. So i'm going to take my Prozac now...

buddylee on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    WAR was already a piece of shit in less time than Rift has been out

Let's not compare Rift to a game that was fundamentally broken from day one and had no high level content in place at launch

We're playing Rift now and already know that, technically, it is a more stable experience

And there are level 50 people and there is already end-game content in place

Comparing Rift to WAR is absolutely disingenuous. It is definitely not Warhammer, and we have had more than enough time to realize that.

Maddoc on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2011
    The zones could need some content tuning - I dinged 40, did level 41 quests against 41-42 mobs, and then suddenly mobs and quests jumped to 45.

So I'm just heading to Droughtlands for a bit and questing there until I'm 43+.

Echo on
  • Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Muppetman wrote: »
    Enjoying my assassin muchly but am curious about Bard. Is it viable for pve dungeon solo heals? How is it in pvp? Anyone able to throw me a spec? I'm currently just shy of lvl 30

In warfronts my bard is always one of the top healers, maybe half the time having the most heals, though when I do have someone beat me by heals its usually because they are a solely centric healer and so their is dps is pretty low. My dps is usually around the average in the warfront.

Never tried dungeons with my bard though.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Muppetman wrote: »

In warfronts my bard is always one of the top healers, maybe half the time having the most heals, though when I do have someone beat me by heals its usually because they are a solely centric healer and so their is dps is pretty low. My dps is usually around the average in the warfront.

Never tried dungeons with my bard though.

Bard cannot main heal

But they can smooth out heals greatly for the main healer, while increasing the DPS of the rest of the party by a fairly absurd degree, and also do not totally insignificant damage on its own.

Maddoc on
    edited March 2011
    Maddoc wrote: »

Let's not compare Rift to a game that was fundamentally broken from day one and had no high level content in place at launch

We're playing Rift now and already know that, technically, it is a more stable experience

Comparing Rift to WAR is absolutely disingenuous. It is definitely not Warhammer, and we have had more than enough time to realize that.

Okay well, I'll take your word on it, but I still wouldn't tell someone who's on the fence to definitely buy it

If buying a new MMO is a shakey proposition for someone and you don't have friends playing it, wait until the first content patch to get an idea of its longevity, that's just the advice I'm giving based on getting burned oh so many times in the past.

override367 on
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    seriously if this game hasn't gripped you half way through your first epic invasion where your raid party is all working together to mop up the rifts and return the purple dildoes then you have no soul whatsoever.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man, I've been all around stonefield and never even paid attention to the smoking castle that is across the way. =/
    2011-03-07_200949.jpg

Jakarrd on
    Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    That's a warfront at 50, actually.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    question should I pick my other classes as soon as possible or keep putting points into my main first?

Like I picked stormcaller on my start up and im a quest that says I can pick another branch mastery or the same one or something.

Im still learning and not sure what is going on :s

M.D. on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Maddoc wrote: »

This.

I was bonkers for WAR before I actually had a chance to play it. Everything seemed so fucking amazing on paper, but it wasn't executed properly.

Wait, you mean the guys who made DAoC are making a new MMO based on the same PVP-mindset using a fucking amazing IP? Holy fucking shit!

Oh, they removed 20% of the classes before launch, took out entire capital cities, and RVR is designed such that flipping your keep is much more profitable than defending it? So, your RVR raid will likely end up just attacking undefended keeps and playing ping-pong with the enemy, never really even fighting each other? And there are a few classes that are so painfully imbalanced that it's stupid to play the others? And they're merging all the servers because they just lost 70% of their player base?

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    edited March 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    That's a warfront at 50, actually.

Huh. I haven't done warfronts yet so that's a new one. I did explore over the border of Stonefield into Shimmering Sands. Found a little alcove with ship wreckage in it. Have to wonder if a quest or rare mob will be there.

And yeah, as soon as I saw the red ?? golem dudes I recalled as soon as I could. hahaah.

Jakarrd on
    Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Uh oh. I'm enjoying rogue quite a bit more than my cleric so far. Though he's 20 levels behind my cleric. We shall see! I'm going marksman/ranger/bard right now, any suggestions for leveling specs?

SniperGuy on
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh okay i couldnt pick storm caller already, sorry!

I figured it out then :s

M.D. on
    edited March 2011
    Jakarrd wrote: »
    Man, I've been all around stonefield and never even paid attention to the smoking castle that is across the way. =/
    2011-03-07_200949.jpg

Okay, you have two titles that I want. Tell me how.

The Humorless and The Heartless.

I got The Scarwood Huntress tonight, which is pretty baller.

Also, I'm level 37, and I have 12 titles. How many are there? There has to be damn near 100. If not more. Probably more.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Personally I don't get the "WAR killed my father and raped my mother" mentality.

It was a vastly overambitious MMO that failed to deliver on content that was frankly an impossible job given the resources and time they had. Hardly new in the MMO world, the only real difference was it was using a popular IP (warhammer) and was being made by a generally beloved (until then) company (Mythic). So people got super bummed when it failed to live up to the hype they'd all been generating about it. So suprised.

But you know what? I went into it knowing jack all about Mythic and only a passing knowledge of warhammer, missed most of the hype, and judging it from the perspective I've taken on every other MMO, including this one, it was a pretty fun game. Granted, it slowly went into the crapper, but that's why we can unsub and choose a new MMO when that happens.

I mean really, if you want to compare the two, I had just as much fun during the early days of WAR as I did during the beta here (about the closest comparison I can think of). And that's not a knock on Rift, I had a lot of fun in both cases. But other than "I had fun in both" there really isn't a comparison, aside from part of the artstyle and some jokes to be made, they're nothing alike.

So really, magic studio on popular IP doesn't live up to fan expectations, fans never get over it, studio dies horribly. That about the best summation of WAR? Can we move on now?

Astale on
    edited March 2011
    Astale wrote: »
    Personally I don't get the "WAR killed my father and raped my mother" mentality.

It was a vastly overambitious MMO that failed to deliver on content that was frankly an impossible job given the resources and time they had. Hardly new in the MMO world, the only real difference was it was using a popular IP (warhammer) and was being made by a generally beloved (until then) company (Mythic). So people got super bummed when it failed to live up to the hype they'd all been generating about it. So suprised.

But you know what? I went into it knowing jack all about Mythic and only a passing knowledge of warhammer, missed most of the hype, and judging it from the perspective I've taken on every other MMO, including this one, it was a pretty fun game. Granted, it slowly went into the crapper, but that's why we can unsub and choose a new MMO when that happens.

I mean really, if you want to compare the two, I had just as much fun during the early days of WAR as I did during the beta here (about the closest comparison I can think of). And that's not a knock on Rift, I had a lot of fun in both cases. But other than "I had fun in both" there really isn't a comparison, aside from part of the artstyle and some jokes to be made, they're nothing alike.

So really, magic studio on popular IP doesn't live up to fan expectations, fans never get over it, studio dies horribly. That about the best summation of WAR? Can we move on now?

Yeah, I went in with the same mindset and lack of knowledge re: Mythic/Warhammer, and I thought the game was pretty terrible. Thank god for free trials.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    edited March 2011
    2011-03-07_200949.jpg

Also, I'm level 37, and I have 12 titles. How many are there? There has to be damn near 100. If not more. Probably more.

The heartless is a long one. You have to collect 20 squirrel tears so be prepared to kill for a couple of hours the squirrels. You'll get the heartless after that. And an achievement.

The humourless you have to go to scarlet gorge and do an achievement. You have to go to roughly 4876,3639 in Darkfire Grove. Look around an you should see what looks to be some cliffside houses that you have to get up to. There are four npcs up there "mael" something or other that you need to kill. You'll get an achievement Knock them off their perch and a title.

Jakarrd on

76561197990097905.png
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just want to get this traight: I have two talents that fully spec'd boost healing and crit damage by 20%. They do not stack, correct?

Docshifty on
    edited March 2011
    2011-03-07_200949.jpg

The heartless is a long one. You have to collect 20 squirrel tears so be prepared to kill for a couple of hours the squirrels. You'll get the heartless after that. And an achievement.

The humourless you have to go to scarlet gorge and do an achievement. You have to go to roughly 4876,3639 in Darkfire Grove. Look around an you should see what looks to be some cliffside houses that you have to get up to. There are four npcs up there "mael" something or other that you need to kill. You'll get an achievement Knock them off their perch and a title.

I wonder if mailed squirrel tears count. Because my cleric alt has like... 6 of them. Hah.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    edited March 2011
    Docshifty wrote: »
    Just want to get this traight: I have two talents that fully spec'd boost healing and crit damage by 20%. They do not stack, correct?

They do stack, in some form. I'm not sure if it ends up being like... 25% overall, or 40%, though. Also, Doc... who are you on Faeblight?

EDIT (instead of making yet another post): SPeaking of silly percentage addition/multiplication - Stealth slows me down to 70% move speed. If I get a snare that slows me down by 70%, and go into stealth... I can't. fucking. move. That can't be intentional.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • SimpsonsParadoxSimpsonsParadox Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    2011-03-07_200949.jpg

As Raz said, it's a 50 Warfront, but it's also going to be a pretty major lore point (and is somewhat suspected to either be the raid coming out here in a few weeks (before Hammerknell) or post hammerknell). It's Port Scion, sort of the joint capital city of the Guardians and Defiant before the Guardians herp derped it into Regulous hands and the Defiant, jumpy with the perceived Guardian betrayal, blew up a bridge with an innocent Guardian patrol on it. This is what you see right at the start of Freemarch/Silverwood, and it's why both sides are at a kind-of-sort-of war.

SimpsonsParadox on
    edited March 2011
    2011-03-07_200949.jpg

I wonder if mailed squirrel tears count. Because my cleric alt has like... 6 of them. Hah.

I tried buying one of the AH and it didn't count for me, so I'm thinking they won't make it easy on us by allowing for mailings to other chars to count. =) But try, I could be wrong.

Jakarrd on

76561197990097905.png
    edited March 2011
    2011-03-07_200949.jpg

As Raz said, it's a 50 Warfront, but it's also going to be a pretty major lore point (and is somewhat suspected to either be the raid coming out here in a few weeks (before Hammerknell) or post hammerknell). It's Port Scion, sort of the joint capital city of the Guardians and Defiant before the Guardians herp derped it into Regulous hands and the Defiant, jumpy with the perceived Guardian betrayal, blew up a bridge with an innocent Guardian patrol on it. This is what you see right at the start of Freemarch/Silverwood, and it's why both sides are at a kind-of-sort-of war.

I eventually will get there. I haven't moved into scarwood yet as I'm still doing some lore quests in Scarlet Gorge along with some ahievements. So far they have had some really nicely done flavor texts.

Jakarrd on

76561197990097905.png
  • ShiningfuryShiningfury Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'd just like to add another opinion about Rift vs. other recent MMO failures. Rift is miles ahead of WAR and AoC in polish, content, and delivering what was promised. Miles ahead.

Shiningfury on
  • 28682868 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Whoa, was gonna see the Defiant side and join you guys on Sunrest. The queue I encountered was both enticing and frightening.

2868 on
    Warhams. Allatime warhams.

buy warhams
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Astale wrote: »

holy crapple! Tomorrow must be friday unless hyperbole thursday came early this week...

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
This discussion has been closed.