As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[ChemistryOn!] SpaceChem! Demo on Steam, good for four hours.

• Options
    ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    Serbaldrig's reporting a 1-reactor solution to Reppe Chemistry, now. I'm about halfway to giving up on it - I'll make one more attempt at it tonight, but I think my sub-5000 2-reactor solution may have to be what I turn in, with hopes that it's good enough for Top 8.

Darn it

I've been focusing on the challenge puzzle, get it as close to the 1240 limit as I can, since that appears to be the tier that I'm actually placing on!

I think I'll have to turn in my 4 reactor solution to Reppe

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Who has two thumbs and an operational 1-reactor solution to Reppe Chemistry? This guy.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Well, I failed at Reppe Chemistry (4 reactor solution submitted), but I think I did okay in the other ones.

Gas to Liquid and Solid

Woke up this morning:

"I've figured out how to remove symbols from the solution!"

Did so. Toyed around.

Got 818/3/32

mn3r.th.png

Cyanide Reassembly

Was tinkering with this and literally submitted it with seconds to spare.

As such - very rough, and you can see there's places/symbols that can be more optimised.

Got 1752*/2/136

dnw0.th.png

* Actually, I think with the proper reactor priority, you might get 1750?

Edit:

My god, demolished in Cyanide Reassembly. D:

ecco the dolphin on
  • Options
    Here are my solutions for the week. I think I did fairly well this week, though I wonder how well my Reppe Chemistry solution holds up against everyone else's in the 1-reactor category.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Here are my solutions for the week. I think I did fairly well this week, though I wonder how well my Reppe Chemistry solution holds up against everyone else's in the 1-reactor category.

My god

You've... hit the limit.

At the speed of sound.

You're... a winner, this week!

• Options
    Round 5 results are up, and they are quite interesting. My 1-reactor solution on Reppe Chemistry was so far behind the rest of the competitors on that tier, but thankfully I still made top 8. But I was most surprised this week by revelations regarding the nature of random inputs. Having inputs dictated by permutations in blocks of 12 can really change the way solutions can be constructed.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Round 5 results are up, and they are quite interesting. My 1-reactor solution on Reppe Chemistry was so far behind the rest of the competitors on that tier, but thankfully I still made top 8. But I was most surprised this week by revelations regarding the nature of random inputs. Having inputs dictated by permutations in blocks of 12 can really change the way solutions can be constructed.

Huh

Blocks of 12 indeeeeed

Congrats on placing top 8 on all three challenges, btw! =)

Far out - tough week.

Tidied up my first solution for PS - sub 550.

Pretty slow, I feel.

ecco the dolphin on
  • Options
    I'm 12 of 16 in terms of Top 8 finishes now... and no Top 3s yet. Hopefully I snag one before the end of the open tournament.

I'm at sub-500 on Pertetroxide Synthesis at the moment, but I think sub-400 is gonna be where the winning solutions lie. I've got ideas to improve my own solution, but it's unlikely to take me past 400.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Hmmmm

Aiming for less than 40 cycles to assemble the final output, huh?

An interesting challenge!

• Options
    If you're looking for benchmarks, sub-400 has been claimed by Leylite on Pertetroxide Synthesis. I'm getting closer, but not quite there yet.

As for the other puzzles, there's sub-140 on Jailbreak and sub-250 on Crossover Filter to consider.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Blimey!

It is game on, apparently.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Terrible efforts from me for the non-challenge puzzles this week.

Managed to get 376/1/70 on the challenge:
    aayw.png

But I wasn't able to use a swap to tunnel that final hydrogen to a good place =/

I see in the Steam thread that gggol's claimed 355, so gg gggol =)

ecco the dolphin on
  • Options
    Hmm, judging from the Steam forum thread competitors' reports, I got a bit careless in my submissions! Solution archive is here.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Oh man

That first place solution for the challenge puzzle

Elegant

• Options
    Benchmarks this week seem to be at sub-94 on LP Isomers, sub-20 on Natural Chemo, and sub-25 on The Chem in SpaceChem.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Oh good lords D:

Also

Good thing you posted that

I was going least cycles for The Chem and was very impressed at sub-25!

ecco the dolphin on
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I played the demo on PC a while ago and liked it - especially the bits of story you get between levels - but never got around to buying the full version. So recently, I bought the iPad version in preparation for a long flight.

Turns out the mobile versions are missing the story and boss levels, because the latter "didn't work with the iPad's setup" and the former didn't make sense without the boss fights. I am disappoint. Would not have spent the $7 if I'd known.

• Options
    I found the boss levels to be the weakest parts of the game, much preferring the standard research and production puzzles. If you still want the story, it's available on the Zachtronics site, though it won't have the same pacing as going through the game. You also still get more than forty main campaign puzzles and over a hundred ResearchNet puzzles to dig through, so there's still plenty to do, even with some bits removed.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Oh dear

Not a particularly good week

I put in placeholder solutions for LP Isomers and Natural Chemo, and finally nutted out 282/1/22 for the Chem in SpaceChem.
    tevg.png

I feel that there's still one or two symbols that can be removed somehow (so many flip flops! And I haven't even used the sensor)

Hmmm... oh well!

• Options
    Quite cleverly done, ecco. My solution pack is here. Looks like a lot of my ideas were part of the way towards yours, but I focused down on the branch that didn't reduce the symbols as much as yours did. I neglected the quantum tunnels since I thought that it would require more symbols to have to grab and drop the hydrogens off of the tunnels - your solution gets around that quite nicely by having the waldos hold on to the hydrogens the whole time.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Thanks - yeah, the quantum tunnels were tricky when I was focussing on a single waldo solution, because you needed to grab/swap/grab them again, as you say.

But when I went to the two waldo solution, it just sort of made sense!

What's interesting is that I also used the same bonder pattern in one of my earlier solutions.
    8vsq.png

I see Carlbunk's got a 21 symbol solution, and gggol's 22 symbol solution is faster than mine, so it appears that we've got some stiff competition for Round 7!

Oh well - put that aside - time to try for Round 8.

Edit:

I like your LP Isomers solution! Double pumped for extra speed and goodness!

ecco the dolphin on
  • Options
    Well, I hope my solutions are still good enough for Top 8 honors, gotta keep my consistency. It's what kept me ahead of GuavaMoment and gggol after the last round's results and is the only thing helping me hang on to my upper tier spot.

Also, note that there's been an edit on the tools available for Halogen Sorting, in case you looked at it right when the puzzles went up. No quantum tunnels and only two bonders means that state machine tomfoolery is much more difficult. I don't think it rules it out, but it might not be recommended, considering the number of outputs necessary.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Yup yup - just saw that too - thanks for the heads up!

Edit:

Oh nuts

I just noticed

Two challenge puzzles this week!

Haha

Haha

Ha

Haahhh

My free tiiimmmmeeeee nooooooooooooo

ecco the dolphin on
  • Options
    You can always bet on passing with just participation points if you want to attempt to salvage your free time. Do the math once the results for Round 7 come out. (But the both of us know that that free time is gone no matter what. For the sake of competition!)

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Nuts

My lime-rick-roll failed on execution

It sounded so much better on paper!

Haha, oh well.

ecco the dolphin on
  • Options
    Oh, the deadline's been moved back.
    WildM wrote:
    Since I took so long getting this past round's results out, and since this week has 4 puzzles (of which you could get away with doing only two!) I'm moving the deadline to Sunday, August 4th, 6:00 PM CT.

OH GOD

MY WEEKEND

• Options
    Hooray for getting a couple more days to fret about solutions, eh? I've got to do well enough to try and hold on to my Top 8 slot in the upper tier but also make good attempts on the non-challenge puzzles to maintain a good lower tier rank in case I get beat. All four puzzles are worth consideration for me.

Fortunately, I finally got a solution for Oxygen Candle so I've at least got participation points. Even though it's only barely under 40 symbols, at least I've got something to start off with.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Fortunately, I finally got a solution for Oxygen Candle so I've at least got participation points. Even though it's only barely under 40 symbols, at least I've got something to start off with.

Bwahaha

Sub-40 symbols?

My 58 symbol solution laughs at your puny sub-40 symbols and - wait, we're not aiming to fill the entire grid up?

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Reported benchmarks this week are shaping up to be quite stunning. The only one I'm currently at is the Magnets one, but I suspect I'm still behind the curve on that one as well.

Halogen Sorting: Sub-500
    Magnets: Sub-40
    Dessication Station: Sub-350
    Oxygen Candle: Sub-30

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Good lords

It is seriously game on

• Options
    Reported benchmarks this week are shaping up to be quite stunning. The only one I'm currently at is the Magnets one, but I suspect I'm still behind the curve on that one as well.

Halogen Sorting: Sub-500
    Magnets: Sub-40
    Dessication Station: Sub-350
    Oxygen Candle: Sub-30

Haha, dude - you're famous!

Also, they're watching us.

Haiiii Internet!

/wave

• Options
    Everyone is watching everyone, heh. (I'm pulling in my numbers from the Something Awful forums thread, by the way.)

I met the benchmark to Halogen Sorting last night, so I need to change my focus back to the challenge puzzles. I'd really like to keep my Top-8 Upper Tier spot, but I need to hold off cearn and Jabor to do so.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Everyone is watching everyone, heh. (I'm pulling in my numbers from the Something Awful forums thread, by the way.)

I met the benchmark to Halogen Sorting last night, so I need to change my focus back to the challenge puzzles. I'd really like to keep my Top-8 Upper Tier spot, but I need to hold off cearn and Jabor to do so.

They're tricky, those two

Unrelated:

HAHAHA

I just met benchmark on Dessication Station

Yeesssssssss

Time to hurry off to work!

ecco the dolphin on
  • Options
    I finally discover how to get my solution down to the sub-350 benchmark on Dessication Station when I discover that the benchmark's been moved down to sub-300. Ugh...

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    I finally discover how to get my solution down to the sub-350 benchmark on Dessication Station when I discover that the benchmark's been moved down to sub-300. Ugh...
    the benchmark's been moved down to sub-300.
    sub-300.
    sub-300.
    sub-300.

PSEUUUDOOOOODDDUUUUUDDEEEEE!!!

I see that we both have sub-300 solutions now.

But whose will prevail?

(oh god I think it's going to be his D: )

• Options
    Bluh, it happened again. My brain managed to put together a sub-30 on Oxygen Candle late last night but it appears that Serbaldrig has a sub-25 now. Every time I think I'm close, the benchmark gets pulled away again...

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Bluh, it happened again. My brain managed to put together a sub-30 on Oxygen Candle late last night but it appears that Serbaldrig has a sub-25 now. Every time I think I'm close, the benchmark gets pulled away again...

It's cool

I'm not panicking

NOT PANICKING

(oh godohgodohgodohgod)

To be honest though, props to Serbaldrig =)

Wasn't he last year's winner? If anyone's going to pull the benchmarks ahead, it'll be either him or pseudodude.

I am seriously going to be interested in this week's results video to see what everyone's* pulled off!

* Yes, everyone's.

Including the people from the Steam thread, and the SA folks.

ecco the dolphin on
  • Options
    Darn it SpaceChem:

8tvu.png

More than twice the hours spent in Civ V.

'nuff said.

• Options
    ContentContextContentContext Registered User regular
    Darn it SpaceChem:

8tvu.png

'nuff said.
    Got you beat by 10 hours. Sorry I couldn't keep going, but I'm cheering you folks on. Good luck!

• Options
    Darn it SpaceChem:

8tvu.png

'nuff said.
    Got you beat by 10 hours. Sorry I couldn't keep going, but I'm cheering you folks on. Good luck!

Haha - you win, this round, ContentContext! =P