As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[ChemistryOn!] SpaceChem! Demo on Steam, good for four hours.

• Options
    WoggleWoggle OheoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    tofu wrote: »
    The priority atoms come in starts in the lower right and works its way up and then through each column

I'm rather sure it's always the order they left the previous reactor and the sequence sitting in the pipe.

So if you flush them out one at a time you can manage the order easily, which I've done, but I have no clue how it works if you're simultaneously dropping three hydrogen off by debonding or dropping more than one atom for simultaneous flushing.

Some posts I've read online said it was the reverse order of arrival, and others it's by position, left to right, top down or somesuch.

Woggle on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If you send them out at the same time it's

tofu on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What's the priority for creating bonds? If you try to bond a 1 by 3 or 2 by 2 group of hydrogen, which ones will pair up?

jothki on
  • Options
    ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Woggle wrote: »
    The priority atoms come in starts in the lower right and works its way up and then through each column

I'm rather sure it's always the order they left the previous reactor and the sequence sitting in the pipe.

So if you flush them out one at a time you can manage the order easily, which I've done, but I have no clue how it works if you're simultaneously dropping three hydrogen off by debonding or dropping more than one atom for simultaneous flushing.

Yeah, I tried working with sending multiple through at the same time and it just seems too haphazard and unreliable. I got far better results by manually outputting each one in turn in a defined order so I could be sure of what would be where at any given time. No doubt the real optimizers out there sent them all through at once and magically make sure they are all picked up in correct sequence, but I like my throughput to be clearly defined.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Zedar wrote: »
    Woggle wrote: »

Yeah, I tried working with sending multiple through at the same time and it just seems too haphazard and unreliable. I got far better results by manually outputting each one in turn in a defined order so I could be sure of what would be where at any given time. No doubt the real optimizers out there sent them all through at once and magically make sure they are all picked up in correct sequence, but I like my throughput to be clearly defined.

Designing a cycle for Nothing Works to consistently take care of three hydrogens spawning in different locations, binding them into H2 at a constant rate, was one of my proudest moments.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    HeliosHelios Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I couldn't even wait for a steam sale, I have become weak.

And then I immediately set about using some lame mechanics to try and get a low symbol count.

Spamming Bond+ Erryday

I still need to cut one or two somewhere but I also need to eat and do laundry. HMMM.

Helios on
    Who is driving?
    Oh my god, bear is driving!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Helios wrote: »
    I still need to cut one or two somewhere but I also need to eat and do laundry. HMMM.

Secondary considerations. There is chemistry to be done!

Seriously, this game is absorbing all my free time to a frightening extent. I would have forgotten to eat altogether last night if my partner hadn't started cooking dinner at 9pm. I hadn't even noticed it was late, I was too busy planning reactors. It was like "Oh thats right, I still need to eat." This doesn't bode well.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Also, am I the only one who felt real fear when the fusion operator showed up? I immediately saw how much more complex this was going to make everything.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    And two more operations are on the way, Fission Lasers and Quantum Tunnels.

Making things even more pear shaped.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Fission Lasers seem pretty obvious, but what will Quantum Tunnels do in the game? Let some atoms pass through others when in certain grid squares, or something?

edit: nevermind, just looked it up:

"The QUANTUM TUNNEL consists of two 1×1 components that can be relocated and, when activated, will de-bond and swap the two atoms located on each end."

I feel... fear.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Like wormholes perhaps? Waldo enters one, exits through the other?

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I want anti-matter.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Fission Lasers seem pretty obvious, but what will Quantum Tunnels do in the game? Let some atoms pass through others when in certain grid squares, or something?

"The QUANTUM TUNNEL consists of two 1×1 components that can be relocated and, when activated, will de-bond and swap the two atoms located on each end."

I feel... fear.

Wow that sounds... awesome but frightening. I shudder to think of the puzzles that will result.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Honestly, I'm more excited about the Scientific Journal thing (distribution of player-designed puzzles) than I am about the new features.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Raiden333 wrote: »

I feel... fear.

Wow that sounds... awesome but frightening. I shudder to think of the puzzles that will result.

Well, we'll all get the chance to inflict our most devious machinations on each other soon.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Do we know if there will be more official levels? Via DLC or expansions or free updates?

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Do we know if there will be more official levels? Via DLC or expansions or free updates?
    Arriving in the form of a free, not-yet-dated update for SpaceChem, ResearchNet will allow you to create your own research assignments, share them with friends, and submit them to the Journal of Reaction Engineering, an in-game “publication” featuring the best assignments made by both SpaceChem engineers (you guys) and Zachtronics Industries designers (me).

Emphasis mine. Cannot fucking wait.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    HeliosHelios Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I managed to do my laundry, play some TF2, AND cut two symbols (by pure trial and error, sadly, no genius I).

Slimmed down Random Oxides

Eating now. It's only 8:30, that's not too bad.

Helios on
    Who is driving?
    Oh my god, bear is driving!
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Anyone else having problems with SpaceChem locking up their computer?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Just beat the first "boss level"
    the mining robot

Pretty easy when I figured out exactly what they wanted me to do.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Welp, this game is fantastic and I fear I will have to buy it. I spent way too much time trying to streamline my tutorial designs before moving onto Every Day is the First Day. Mainly because it intimidated me, until mad inspiration struck, so since everyone else is sharing their version of the first "real" puzzles..

Looking at some of yours, I need to keep in mind you don't have to have the bond command on top of the bonders, I mean, I KNEW that, but I didn't really utilize it. I have it in my head the molecule must be grabbed by a Waldo as often as possible. I don't want to let it just sit around. A habit I'll have to break myself of.

[edit] I also need to remember I can move the start points!

Aw, here I was gonna post all proud of how elegant mine was and yours is even cleaner. Bah! (Same basic idea though I guess. :^:)

Mine:

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I just managed to make what is quite possibly the worst solution for the Sacre Bleu level.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMbU_M0Pmzk

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So is this basically that alchemy flash game with more polish?

Xaviar on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Xaviar wrote: »
    So is this basically that alchemy flash game with more polish?

Well, considering it's by the same guy... :P

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ha! So it is! I love that guy's other stuff. Totally bought.

Xaviar on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I just managed to make what is quite possibly the worst solution for the Sacre Bleu level.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMbU_M0Pmzk

Maybe have the red move the right side into position instead of just waiting? It looks like you have room there.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfFeEjfVk3s&feature=player_embedded

You guys seemed to have trouble with the nitrogen backing up, but for me the hydrogen was what gave me trouble..

Also..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bj93UyM9XU
    I'm really proud of coming in so low on the cycle count on this one.

Xaviar on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Anyone else having problems with SpaceChem locking up their computer?
    Yeah. Once I start playing, nobody can use the computer for a few hours.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    MoxMox Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Here's mine for Every Day is the First Day

Mox on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    You guys seemed to have trouble with the nitrogen backing up, but for me the hydrogen was what gave me trouble..

My problem was always separating the C-H from the rest of the H's fast enough to keep up with the nitrogen input. After a lot of tweaking I managed to get the under 1000 cycles achievement for this, but my nitrogen is still backing up :-/ Not sure how I can improve it beyond here, so I think I'll just be happy with the achievement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xamq1JSzfVE

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Also proud of this one. They try to trick you into using the sensor to deal with the two cases seperately, which I did at first, but then I started optimizing it and realized that you can just pretend it's the double every time and it'll work out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CsTVPueMUc

Gosh it's addicting that you can just upload and share your solution with everyone. I have to hold myself back from clicking upload on every single one..

Xaviar on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    jothki wrote: »
    [Maybe have the red move the right side into position instead of just waiting? It looks like you have room there.
    But then I couldn't claim to have the worst solution to Sacre Bleu!

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Death_Claw wrote: »
    So I'm playing the demo, right. Suddenly I realize why my inputs seemed to be showing up in random squares. My poor, poor brain doesn't stand a chance.

If the inputs are coming from another reactor you made they will show up where you dropped them. So if you have the red and the blue waldos dropping the same element but on different squares they will show up in different squares on the next reactor.

Wow. This seems worthy of the handy tips spoiler in the OP.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Iolo wrote: »
    So I'm playing the demo, right. Suddenly I realize why my inputs seemed to be showing up in random squares. My poor, poor brain doesn't stand a chance.

If the inputs are coming from another reactor you made they will show up where you dropped them. So if you have the red and the blue waldos dropping the same element but on different squares they will show up in different squares on the next reactor.

Added. Also added a link to the announcement about player-created content and what not. Not sure why I didn't do that earlier.

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    dasnoobdasnoob ArkansasRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This game... I'm not sure whether to hate you people or love you for getting me to buy it.

Pretty sure my wife hates you though. <3

dasnoob on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    Iolo wrote: »

Added. Also added a link to the announcement about player-created content and what not. Not sure why I didn't do that earlier.

You guys were too busy feeling all smart and stuff. :P

Drake on
  • Options
    Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I saw this post and went and downloaded it forthwith. After about 14 hours into it, just getting into the good stuff, I would describe this game as

Guitar Hero : Playing Guitar :: Spacechem : Chemical Engineering

There is a certain poetry to the atoms moving through the script. Like a ballet of molecules dancing against the winds of entropy. Valence bands fluttering. It would be pretty awesome if someone would make some sort of procedural music plugin.

Alkey42 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Alkey42 wrote: »
    I saw this post and went and downloaded it forthwith. After about 14 hours into it, just getting into the good stuff, I would describe this game as

There is a certain poetry to the atoms moving through the script. Like a ballet of molecules dancing against the winds of entropy. Valence bands fluttering. It would be pretty awesome if someone would make some sort of procedural music plugin.

Does this mean that people who see us playing SpaceChem will say we're wasting our time and we're better off going to learn real chemistry?

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MoxMox Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

My problem was always separating the C-H from the rest of the H's fast enough to keep up with the nitrogen input. After a lot of tweaking I managed to get the under 1000 cycles achievement for this, but my nitrogen is still backing up :-/ Not sure how I can improve it beyond here, so I think I'll just be happy with the achievement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xamq1JSzfVE

Hmm. Perhaps if you moved the bonder and debonding a little down so that the bottom H is already out of your way. I did that whole section the opposite way -- moving the C-H out of the way -- but of course had to deal with multiple H locations on the next reactor.

Mox on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Miso RoneryMiso Ronery Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Alkey42 wrote: »

Does this mean that people who see us playing SpaceChem will say we're wasting our time and we're better off going to learn real chemistry?

Only until Mad Catz develops some monstrosity of a chemistry set to fill our homes with, with modular waldo tracks of course.

For use in Scientist Level 2 mode of SpaceChem 2! Pre-order at GameStop for the exclusive Pause instruction!

Edit: Grammar clusterfuck.

Miso Ronery on
    steam_sig.png