As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cry Havok and let loose the dogs of the [Military Thread]

• EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    I imagine if you want to remain a citizen and work for the government an agency you could look at would be the US Agency for International Development (USAID), Office of Foreign Disaster Assistance. If you want to stay private sector, then it's charitable non-governmental organizations like the International Medical Corps and such.

As for civilians volunteering for duty on these trips, I couldn't answer that but only speculate. From what I have been able to find online so far, it's on the private sector groups to get there themselves or request assistance from either the local gov or an international party (like the US Gov) for assistance in getting there and getting setup/having security. USAID probably rides over with the US Navy/Air Force.

XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • SliderSlider Registered User regular
    Very soon I will be too old to join the military.

Oh, well.

• Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote:
    This may be a very specific kind of question, but do any of you have any experience with civilians volunteering for military duty on medical relief trips? I graduate from anesthesia graduate school and will have a Masters in Nurse Anesthesia May 2012 and I had considered getting involved in some overseas trips, but I wasn't sure how to even start?

Do you have to join the military? If I did, how does that shake out between enlisted / not enlisted / comissioned / non-comissioned?

As a civilian you can volunteer to deploy for a variety of missions. I'm not sure about medical type things but there are plenty of opportunities in my line of work (engineering).

Check out usajobs.gov as well as fbo.gov. USA Jobs is for, well, jobs as a government employee. fedbizops is for companies looking for work. You can check that out and maybe solicit your services as an independent contractor. Or you can just find a medical contracting firm (I'm sure they exist) and tell them you want to go somewhere.

Joining now would be pretty silly, given you've likely paid for school yourself. If you've got government loans you may be able to get some kind of forgiveness but in all honesty I doubt it. There's also a hiring freeze on, so yeah...its a tough spot. Not saying it is not a good idea, just wanted to point out the logic in joining AFTER you already paid for schooling. I really think staying civilian and/or contractor would be best, without knowing your current situation in depth.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I appreciate the info guys.

I should have been more clear. I wasn't considering joining up as an effort to pay off my student loans, I will make plenty in the private sector to take care of that in just a few years, I had thought about joining up to help out and do some good. A buddy of mine is in the reserves and he spent the last six months doing anesthesia in Afghanistan and just said it was a great experience. I was thinking about trying to get involved in some kind of medical work overseas to do some humanitarian work, but didn't know if a private group was the best way to go about it.

I'll look up those websites, thanks again.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Limp mooseLimp moose Registered User regular
    The navy has a flight surgeon program where you can fly in jets and stuff and do medicine. Those guys have a pretty good gig going.

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Turkson wrote:
    I volunteered to be a reader for the fallen on Veteran's Day. Me and another vet were talking about maybe doing our part in uniform. Are there any rules or regulations for this?

Must have been honorably discharged. Must be in regs. You may not need a high and tight, but you'll probably have to have a decent haircut and a shave, but that's just what I think, not what I know for sure.

• JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    godmode wrote:
    Turkson wrote:
    I volunteered to be a reader for the fallen on Veteran's Day. Me and another vet were talking about maybe doing our part in uniform. Are there any rules or regulations for this?

Must have been honorably discharged. Must be in regs. You may not need a high and tight, but you'll probably have to have a decent haircut and a shave, but that's just what I think, not what I know for sure.

Yeah the only one who gets away with not being in reg in uniform is Rudy Reyes...

2722950766_9fbcf4518f.jpg

Do you think your as manly as this piece of sex? He can ask or tell me any day!

That collar is out of regs.

Another black eye for the Marine Corps.

(Seriously though, Rudy Reyes is pretty rad dude. Feel free to follow his example.)

• CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    Well, I found out that I've been accepted into the Army Reserve JAG Corps. I was told to expect more information on completing my appointment within a few weeks.

I'm really, really excited. For the first time in a long while, it feels as if my legal career is actually going somewhere. Of course, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous. I understand that the learning curve for direct commissions can be pretty steep.

penguins.png
    Wow, that's really cool! Congratulations, CB!

I just hope that I can, in fact, handle the truth.

penguins.png
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Well, I found out that I've been accepted into the Army Reserve JAG Corps. I was told to expect more information on completing my appointment within a few weeks.

I'm really, really excited. For the first time in a long while, it feels as if my legal career is actually going somewhere. Of course, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous. I understand that the learning curve for direct commissions can be pretty steep.

Congrats. I'm sure you'll be fine as long as you keep in mind that you'll have people within your unit will to provide you with advice if you need help.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
    Spoiler alert: You can't

Jokerman wrote:
    Spoiler alert: You can't

Aw, dangit.

penguins.png
  • MalodineMalodine Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    godmode wrote:
    Turkson wrote:

Below is an exerpt from the Retirement Services Office Handbook for Retired Soldiers and Family Members, it talks about wear of the uniform after service obligation is complete. Also for Army further information can be found in Army Regulation 670-1.

3-8. Wearing of the Uniform.
    a. Wearing a uniform after retirement is a privilege granted in recognition of faithful service to country. Retired Soldiers should exercise this privilege whenever possible and in such a manner as to reflect credit upon themselves and the United States Army.

b. Soldiers who are advanced to a higher grade upon retirement may wear the insignia of such higher grade while participating in retirement ceremonies and thereafter.

c. Retired Soldiers serving on active duty will wear the uniform and insignia prescribed for Soldiers in the active Army of corresponding grade and branch. Retired Soldiers not on active duty may wear either the uniform reflecting their grade and branch on the date of their retirement or the uniform for Soldiers in the active Army of corresponding grade and branch, when appropriate. The uniforms may not be mixed. The grade worn is that indicated on the retired grade/rank line of your retirement order.
    d. Retired Soldiers not on active duty are not authorized to wear shoulder sleeve insignia except as follows:
    (1) Junior ROTC instructors will wear the Cadet Command shoulder sleeve insignia on their left shoulder.
    (2) The shoulder sleeve insignia of a former wartime unit may be worn on the right shoulder by retired Soldiers who served in the unit.
    (3) The retired shoulder patch is worn on the left shoulder sleeve, centered one-half inch from the top.

e. Retired Soldiers not on active duty are not authorized to wear the Army uniform when they are instructors or are responsible for military discipline at an educational institution unless the educational institution is conducting courses of instruction approved by the Armed Forces.

f. Restrictions. Wear of the Army uniform is prohibited for all retired Soldiers--
    (1) In connection with the promotion of any political or commercial interests or when engaged in off-duty civilian employment. Army Reserve technicians who are also Soldiers of the Ready Reserve may wear the Army uniform at their option while on duty in their civil service status.
    (2) When participating in public speeches, interviews, picket lines, marches, rallies, or public demonstrations, except as authorized by competent authority.
    (3) When wearing the uniform would bring discredit upon the Army.
    (4) When specifically prohibited by Army Regulations (AR). (Refer to AR 670-1, Wear and Appearance of Army Uniforms and Insignia; http://www.army.mil/usapa/epubs/pdf/r670_1.pdf.)

g. If there is any doubt about wearing the uniform to a function, the commander of the nearest Army installation should be contacted. Retired Soldiers in a foreign country should contact the American Embassy, the American Consulate, or a U. S. military authority.

Malodine on
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    edited September 2011
    Hey everybody.

Boycott this fucker.

godmode on
  • TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Boycotted.

oh h*ck
    Welp, looks like I'm medically disqualified, thanks to a history of depression and current antidepressant use. I asked my recruiter about this, and he said it's "probably not a problem." Sounds like he had no clue what he was talking about.

I'm going to go ahead with MEPS in the off chance that I can get a waiver, but I'm not optimistic.

penguins.png
    edited September 2011
    [double post]

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
    Can you boycott someone you don't give a fuck about in the first place?

• VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    Sure. Makes it a lot easier.

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
    Welp, looks like I'm medically disqualified, thanks to a history of depression and current antidepressant use. I asked my recruiter about this, and he said it's "probably not a problem." Sounds like he had no clue what he was talking about.

I'm going to go ahead with MEPS in the off chance that I can get a waiver, but I'm not optimistic.

Worst they can say is no, and you'll at least be able to ask what you need to do to *become* qualified to enter.

Don't Ask, Don't Tell was repealed today. Kind of embarassing how long that took.

• BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    Anyone at DLI that doesn't mind me PM'ing them? My MOS has an outcall right now for E-5 and anything past E-6 you won't make it in under 20 years. So I took the DLAB on a whim yesterday and scored over 100, don't feel like giving my actual score on the interwebs, so now I qualify to reclass to Crypto Linguist. Kinda nervous if I should jump at the chance to spend a year or two learning a new language. Mostly I'm scared of that 40% attrition rate or so I've heard. I know the job opportunities after the reclass would be immense. So that is a notch in the plus column. Also the bonus being at 10 level, would be 40k for me, is another notch in the +. But reclasssing at 8 years in seems like I would be way behind the power curve when it comes to E-6's that have been doing the job for 10 years. Fuck, I'm just worrying that I should just get out and take my chances with the job market being what it is.

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
    I'm not going to lie...You used two acronyms in the first three sentences that I don't know: "DLI" and "DLAB".

edited September 2011
    godmode wrote:
    I'm not going to lie...You used two acronyms in the first three sentences that I don't know: "DLI" and "DLAB".

Defense language institute and Defense language aptitude battery.

@Bloodycow: Either @Quid or @Glorious Cretin should be able to help you. If they don't respond to the batsignal consider giving them a PM.

Jokerman on
  • radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    (@Quid won't be able to respond for another month or so... just as a heads up.)

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    So guys

I am a 24 year old civilian with a pretty decent career in the private sector

However my job might be going bye-bye and I have few options where I am at right now and I just really don't feel like rolling the dice and moving across the country to reboot the whole thing...

My whole family as a lot of military... my grandfather, father, step father and brother were all in the militar (2 Navy, 1 Army, 1 Air Force), and I have the impulse to follow suit and actually do something interesting... because I've been busting my ass for five years now in the private sector and haven't gotten much out of it.

Questions:

1) I would want to join the Navy... but if I did so, I would want to be in a position where I could travel, at least on a ship, or deploy somewhere interesting... is there any way to lock this down or is it a crap shoot? I'd rather not be stationed on Ocala Florida scoring bomb drops like my step dad.

2) I have a lot of financial obligations from going through college on my own, etc... totaling up to 1.5k per month worst case... how fucked would I be on an enlisted salary? Would the military step in on pre-existing student loans?

3) I have a strong technology background from my civilian career... is there a way to reconcile these skills and still get out to sea or do something other than ride a desk, state side?

Just want some basic info... it's not like I am ready to pack up and ship out tomorrow. But some time in the next 45 days I could be forced into a situation where I have to make a career move.

Hey you sound like me in this thread, two threads ago. Since I can't sleep and my brain is not in a good place just roaming in the wilderness of my memories, I think I can assist you by focusing my mental energies in your concerns.

1) It seems that the Navy (compared to the Air Force) actually goes places. This is good for your requirements. Not sure how to confirm locations, but there are might be ports that correspond with certain jobs.
    2) There's a lot of guys here who can comment to that, but college education will at least start you off with an advanced rank on the enlisted side. However, $1.5k is quite a bit. Take a look at the military pay chart to see where you might land from E-2 to E-4 (not sure where you'd start, but probably somewhere in there). I don't think there's a way to forgive loans unless you service 10 years combined in military/public service and still have debts from school.
    3) I believe so. At least, my previous experience was looked very highly upon since most in uniform don't really have that sort of thing. Officers usually start ROTC/Academy when they're 18 and enlisted personnel... well, usually enlist at that time too.

Unfortunately, 45 days is almost no time to make a carefully constructed decision. I did research for weeks before ever seeing a recruiter, and had to wait months before even finding out what to do, and years before figuring out what I got myself into! Course my situation was different...

Ask more specifics and the excellent people in the thread should be able to provide more detailed answers.

CoH_infantry.jpg
    edited September 2011
    Yeah 1500 is high but that's temporal and it could be as low as 1k depending on how things shake out... I have no problem living on base and such, I don't have any family of my own so it's not like I need a house or have mouths to feed.

I have a college education but the accreditation is mildly dubious... it's more like a Full Sail, if you're familiar with that. They do transfer in some states, but not all states, so I am not really banking on that. Although of course I can provide full transcripts, etc... let the Navy sort that out with the college

Let us say, hypothetically, that I want to go down this road. From inquiry to signing papers to boot camp, what kind of time frames am I looking at?

At the moment I am considering all options, this just popped into my head again recently.

Jasconius on
    In my experience, if you live on base, your Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) is zero, but your rent is free. If you live off base, you get BAH for whatever zip code your assignment is at. Your base pay is taxed, but BAH is an allowance so it's tax-free. So what this means is, if your assignment is in a place where the cost of living is high, you could pocket a lot of that BAH by living frugally. Living on base removes this opportunity. The same goes for living in a place where the cost of living is low. My rent is about 75% of my BAH, which is pretty decent because I use the rest on utilities. Factor in BAS, the allowance for subsistence (food) and you could potentially do well.

Your time frame could be anything from months to a few days. Have a skill that they need right the hell now? That's one thing. Have a recruiter that doesn't know which way is north? That could be another.

Do research. Check forums. One of the best resources I found was an online message board. It answered my questions so much better than anything else. I ended up knowing more about my situation than my recruiter.

CoH_infantry.jpg
    godmode wrote:
    1) It seems that the Navy (compared to the Air Force) actually goes places. This is good for your requirements. Not sure how to confirm locations, but there are might be ports that correspond with certain jobs.

If you join the Air Force and go into any of the "critically manned" Career fields, you'll go all the hell over. In the past 12 months or so, I started in DC, moved to the Azores, traveled to England, Scotland, mainland Portugal, and Germany. I'm now set to move to Germany and probably deploy to Afghanistan/Iraq right after getting there. It's really what you make of it and what your chosen career field does.

No offense intended to VR, but your career field isn't exactly set up to deploy (though there are some 32E staff jobs you can fill if you want to head out). Its not better or worse, just different.

Yes, this is true. I'd say that there are not as many people in the "critically manned" fields compared to the "mostly stateside" fields, compared with the Navy where it seems harder to remain stateside.

CoH_infantry.jpg
    If I take the ASVAB will I be able to use a calculator or does it all have to be in your head?

I took a practice test (10 questions each category) with no preparation at all and I got 7/10 Arithmetic Reasoning, 7/10 Word Knowledge, 10/10 Paragraph Comprehension, 8/10 Math Knowledge

If I had a calculator and did a little bit of research I probably could have aced the math ones, I basically just guessed on the ones I didn't know off the top of my head.

• Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    calculators are not allowed. the math isn't very difficult, just brush up on your early high school maths if you really care about acing it whatever. depending on what job you're going for, of course.

edit: oh, going for navy. fuck if I know. I know nukes have to have high scores and also hate themselves. hope this helps!

Feels Good Man on
  • TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    0919cover1.png

oh h*ck
  • MalodineMalodine Registered User regular
    Everyone that is thinking of the military right now needs to keep in mind that there is a severe money crunch right now as well as a draw down of troops. This will change everything from your benifits, your family benifits, promotions and retirement. Becareful what you are getting yourself into and DO NOT trust your recruiters.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
  • spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    You should never trust recruiters anyway, no matter what time it is. Do all the research for yourself, and don't sign anything that's not in line with what you want.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    godmode wrote:

I only think of two responses to this video:

This guy is a fucking bad ass.

Fuck TOC bitches.

Edit: Glad those assholes got a fucking 156, anyone know what unit those Army TOC bitches were in?

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
This discussion has been closed.