As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cry Havok and let loose the dogs of the [Military Thread]

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    I just wanted to say hello to my fellow deployed brothers. There are some bad things about it but the pay out here is nice.

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    So, got my ABUs (yay Air Force).

Question, do I wash and dry everything* before I sew on the name tape, or after? What temperature water is used?

*Everything being the blouse and name tape? I'd wash the trousers while I'm at it.

• Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    Yes, wash and dry everything at least once if not twice. It'll get rid of those little "pull" lines you see some people with where the nametapes shrink at a different rate than the uniform itself. I use cold water.

I've got a small bag that zips closed that I use when I toss the nametapes and badges in the wash/dryer. It keeps them all together and from getting caught in the drain and such. I think I found it at a bed bath and beyond type store for like $2. Well worth it!

• Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    I use cold water for everything.

Also cmon November 1st! Sick of seeing all these douchebags running around in BDUs like old men hanging onto their past.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    Expect to see many BDUs on the last day of October.

Also, don't sew on your own nametape. My roommate was called out in training because he did it wrong. Let base alterations put it on the right way.

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    I use cold water for everything.

Also cmon November 1st! Sick of seeing all these douchebags running around in BDUs like old men hanging onto their past.

Really? I love it! Our Fire Dept has "Throwback Thursdays".

• Options
    I saw a guy wearing BDUs a few weeks back that had his sleeves starched so much, it looked like he had wings. His cuffs were on the biggest button, but were so pressed that they were flat at the ends, and he was walking like he couldn't bed his elbows. It baffles me why people would want to wear a uniform that requires so much maintenance. ABUs you can pull out of the dryer and put on and go to work, with boots you don't have to polish, and still we have people that spend all this time ironing and shining and basically being the "show ponies" that everyone hates to look at.

• Options
    Very fair points. However the BDU's *started* as a wash and wear uniform as well. It was our own psychology that made it into the monster it became. If you read the tag inside them, it actually says "DO NOT STARCH".

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see them go, but I also think it's ridiculous what we went to. I just hope the ABU's don't get their own series of ridiculous pieces of required maintenance.

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    My ROTC detachment just gives us a voucher so the local tailor puts them on. I was going to explain what they need to do but the asian lady working there cut me off. I assume they get a lot of us. Good enough for me.

And thanks for the ABU care advice! Much appreciated.

• Options
    KillaWhaleKillaWhale Registered User regular
    Hey guys, I trolled around the thread for a bit before I got interested in the Navy Nuclear program. I talked to a recruiter and scored 98 on the AFQT and qualified as a nuke without taking the nfqt. I went to MEPS for the physical and am getting a negligable (yet obvious) physical condition of my waivered, so I'm waiting to go back after the paperwork's done to talk to the classifier.

Unfortunately, they diagnosed me with color deficiency which is an auto-disqualifier for the Nuclear program and a ton of other ranks in the Navy, so I have to look for an alternative. Do any of you have recommendations for me (assuming that the job's available when I talk to the classifier)?

I was looking forward to the Nuke program because I'm more technically inclined and the prospect of the rigorous schooling, highly technical work, and good pay/benefits were all very attractive to me. The Navy is still my branch of choice but I'd love to hear about any more possibilities from other branches.

Thanks in advance.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    If you're technically inclined, what about some kind of mechanic work? There are diesel techs, aircraft crew chiefs, etc in every branch. It's not nuclear power, but its not a bad job either.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Anyone know of any good books containing psychological, sociological, and/or anthropological analyses on war and/or the military?

I should probably mention that I've already read On Killing

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    On Combat

Same author.

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Wait, people can still wear BDU's in the airforce? What the fuck?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    KillaWhale wrote:
    I was looking forward to the Nuke program because I'm more technically inclined and the prospect of the rigorous schooling, highly technical work, and good pay/benefits were all very attractive to me. The Navy is still my branch of choice but I'd love to hear about any more possibilities from other branches.

Thanks in advance.

The CT ratings have jobs you might want.

CTM is the one that deals almost entirely with equipment, though last I heard their advancement is kind of meh after E-6. CTTs have a relatively technical job and a tough learning curve, but you can expect to deploy a lot and they're... grumpy is probably the nicest word. CTNs work with computer networking and the ones I've talked to love their job, but again the advancement could be better. I'm not sure what the vision requirements are for any of them though.

Quid on
  • Options
    Jokerman wrote:
    Wait, people can still wear BDU's in the airforce? What the fuck?

Until 1 November. They look ridiculous, and stick out like a sore thumb.

• Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    So: Spawar.

I'm in a remote location, there are only 8 Spawar computers here for a platoon of folks, which is great except there is no way to get internet on your personal computer here.

Is it possible to hook my laptop up to the Spawar network somehow? I know it's against their stupid rules, but how else am I going to install Skyrim, dammit?!

• Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    Probably not a great idea to be posting about it through that network, regardless of how frustrating it might be...

bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    3 Months out from the end of my tour at Osan, I find out that my follow-on assignment to Aviano is so overmanned, they asked me to provide more choices on where I want to go. ffffffuuuuuuuuu- I am only in Korea so I can get Aviano. Thanks for the kick in the dick.

• Options
    Have you mentioned it to your Chief? As a must move out of Korea you should get priority over just about everyone for assignment selection.

I just had a similar situation where the NCO at AFPC was trying to do a "buddy" system. My Chief called his and got it squashed, since it was screwing one of our guys.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    I got an email from outbound assignments, as well as every other SSgt from here. Aviano is overmanned by 10 E5 slots, and can't take any more.

spookymuffin on
  • Options
    Zenitram wrote:
    So: Spawar.

I'm in a remote location, there are only 8 Spawar computers here for a platoon of folks, which is great except there is no way to get internet on your personal computer here.

Is it possible to hook my laptop up to the Spawar network somehow? I know it's against their stupid rules, but how else am I going to install Skyrim, dammit?!

Not without some finagling. I'd recommend just ordering Skyrim and waiting for it.

• Options
    Thanks for all of the advice guys.

Obligatory update: I looked at the various CT programs recently and signed on as a CTI after passing the DLAB - one of the most interesting tests I've ever taken. The other CT ratings definitely interested me, but the prospect of getting paid to learn a foreign language and culture was too tempting. With college credits and PQS I should get E3 out of boot camp, then head straight for the DLI.

Thinking that I might go FBI/CIA after I get out and finish my education (the FBI atleast uses the farnsworth d-15 color test which I can pass with flying colors luckily). Thanks again and hooyah

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KillaWhale wrote:

Obligatory update: I looked at the various CT programs recently and signed on as a CTI after passing the DLAB - one of the most interesting tests I've ever taken. The other CT ratings definitely interested me, but the prospect of getting paid to learn a foreign language and culture was too tempting. With college credits and PQS I should get E3 out of boot camp, then head straight for the DLI.

Thinking that I might go FBI/CIA after I get out and finish my education (the FBI atleast uses the farnsworth d-15 color test which I can pass with flying colors luckily). Thanks again and hooyah

Nice. You should be able to finish your AA at DLI which will definitely help with that. Good luck with school.

• Options
    AltaliciousAltalicious Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Taranis wrote:
    Anyone know of any good books containing psychological, sociological, and/or anthropological analyses on war and/or the military?

I should probably mention that I've already read On Killing

The Psychology of Military Incompetence by Prof. Norman Dixon. A bit old (written in the 60's) and so focuses on British military up to WW2, and a little basic in parts, but provides some interesting psychological analysis of widespread military traits (such as the propensity towards bullshit).

The Human Face of War by Jim Storr. Probably hard to find in the US, more of an academic's book. Has some very good organisational critiques of militaries, particularly the British military. Essentially the sociological aspect you were talking about.

Learning to Eat Soup With a Knife John Nagl...surely everyone in the military must know this one by now? Focuses again on organisational / military culture issues in relation to COIN.

There are an increasing number of new books / articles dealing with this, but certainly on this side of the Atlantic, the stonkingly obvious idea that organisational and cultural issues massively affect how we do business in the military is, sadly, still a relatively recent development.

PS If you can find it, read this book about Otto Skorzeny. He was Hitler's equivalent to the David Stirling (founder of the SAS), and ran German SF during WW2. Not only a good and pretty easy read about a fascinating bloke, but the stuff it goes into about his psychological approach to military operations is groundbreaking. He predicated the plans of some astonishingly impossible ops (such as rescuing Mussolini from a mountain fortress) on an understanding of military behaviour and groupthink - this allowed him to predict the reactions of soldiers and commanders, and overcome huge numerical odds with relatively little fighting. It's a shame he was on the losing side, because this bloke was a grade A+ Einstein-level military genius compared to Stirling or his SOE US counterparts - and they were pretty damn good. It's a crying shame that his methods aren't more widely known.

Altalicious on
  • Options
    Oh, also @KillaWhale avoid mentioning anything DLI related on any social network you might use. It'll save your future command's security officer a headache.

• Options
    I figured as much, I have been pretty mum about it out of sheer paranoia. Better safe than sorry when it comes to TS/SCI related information.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Just saw the first soldier wearing his PC.

God, the Army just wants soldiers to look schlumier and schlumier. Soon the uniform will be a sweatsuit, a neckbeard, and crocs.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    There's no way the military would contract Crocs to make shows for us. They'd throw out the bid to some prisoner sweatshop and supply us with shoes that are 1/4 the cost and 1/32 the comfort.

I always wondered why things like our PT gear aren't made by an actual athletics manufacturer. I'm sure Adidas or Puma would take a cut in cost so they can say that the US military wears their gear. I would absolutely love to have PT gear that is comfortable and breathes well, instead of the prison made crap we have to wear. Even if it would be more expensive, it's not like we don't pay for it ourselves.

spookymuffin on
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Double!

spookymuffin on
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    KillaWhale wrote:

Grats. It's the best / worst job (depends on the day you ask me) in the Army, and I believe the same applies to the Navy. It's very versatile, so you can potentially do everything from keeping a desk chair warm to stuff that's too cool to talk about.

That said, you have to take the DLPT, and as I can say from experience, even as of today, it's still the shittiest test I've ever seen in my entire life.

Was the writer in the passage feeling:
    a. sad
    b. depressed
    c. despondent
    d. resigned

Indeed.

• Options
    God fuck the fucking DLPT fucking sack of shit.

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Jokerman wrote:

God, the Army just wants soldiers to look schlumier and schlumier. Soon the uniform will be a sweatsuit, a neckbeard, and crocs.

The Army is incredibly lazy. It annoys me that my branch wears a combat uniform for office work, wear of Class As is avoided at all costs (I love it when we're forced to wear em for a special once a year ceremony and you see everyone scramming around to square away their Class As.), and screw the Velcro. My Velcro is worn out and my unit is monstrous douche bags about replacing ACUs.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Woo! Got my AFSC and when I graduate, I'm going into Cyber Operations! It was actually my number 2 choice. My number 1 was Computer Engineer, just like my degree, but it seems they want as many CPEs to go into Cyber. I have to start my clearance paperwork now in preparation.

I'm hearing different suggestions from different people about what to do with my final semester in the Spring, in which I will only be taking courses Part Time, and I'm looking to take full advantage of this relatively easy semester (Senior Design Part 2 will still be brutal).

The top 15% in Tech School get assigned to Spec Ops and get Flight suits. First, my friend who is already in Cyber recommended Cisco's CCNE certification because it gives you an edge in Tech School. And that's where you pay money, sit in a seminar, study and take a test. Does anyone know about this course? My counselor (and now teacher) says the local Valencia typically has these things.

Second, a family friend and former Navy Captain says I should pursue EIT certification (Engineer in Training). I've never heard of this before. What is this and how do I get it?

Of course I'm gonna take the break from all that schooling for more PT, because I look ten years younger than I am, and the colonel called me out on my fitness recently. I've gotten better every six months, but I'm behind a lot of people on my PT tests.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Jokerman wrote:

Yeah

I dread going to school on Thursdays because that's when all the cadets wear their ACUs. Not a single one of them wears their uniform properly and it's more than a little irritating.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    I'm not sure the EIT exists for computer engineer's. I've only heard of it for Civil/Environmental/Mechanical/Electrical engineers.

Was your Comp Eng degree more programming or some EE?

http://www.drblank.com/copefef.htm

That site gives a decent overview/breakdown. In short, an EIT is proof that you're a capable engineer. It's the first step toward getting your Professional Engineer certificate, which is huge in the private sector but less so in the military. We can talk more about it, PM me if you like.

• Options
    Eh, the P.E. is not as big of a deal in the private sector. Some companies couldn't care less.

CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Whoops, they don't call it the EIT anymore. It's the FE. The Foundation Exam. It turns out my counselor has been talking about it and I've been aware of it the whole time. EIT is old school. I'll take the FE in the spring.

But what's this hoo haa about the CCNE seminar? Is it worth it?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    VeritasVR wrote:
    Eh, the P.E. is not as big of a deal in the private sector. Some companies couldn't care less.

It varies wildly from field to field. As a professional EE/CmpE, I can tell you that the FE doesn't mean much. For other stuff like civil, it's pretty much a requirement.

• Options
    I'll agree with that.

CoH_infantry.jpg
This discussion has been closed.