As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cry Havok and let loose the dogs of the [Military Thread]

• Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    Hooah, basic all done. AIT is a little more restricted than I thought it'd be, but I'll phase up soon and get a few more privileges.

I had never before been considered "old" at my various jobs, but since joining it's been a defining feature for the people (kids!) around me. It's weird, man. I am 30.

imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Thirty's pretty relatively old for the military. Most people who are thirty in the military are halfway to retirement.

• Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    Well, I still feel young, dang it. Except those moments when I look around and realize I am surrounded by whippersnappers.

I was actually disappointed I didn't get a cooler nickname in basic than old man/old fart.

Had a good DFac thanksgiving with the other new guys from my platoon and a few others from the company. The Co CO, BN CO, and their sergeants served us food at lunch, that was neat.

imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    Enjoy it. There'll be jokes but most supes realize with age generally comes experience and maturity.

Also that is a hella cool thing your COs and sergeants did.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Y'all are making me age conscious. I'm a new butter bars at 28.
    But I look fucking gorgeous for my age.

It makes me really self-conscious to the point I had to chat with a Chaplain about it and make sure I was doing all the right things. They, along with the Education office, got me really motivated to pursue a Masters degree in my line of work, getting me out of that slump.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Welp, I leave Monday. I was originally leaving in March but a spot opened up and after talking about it with my folks, I decided to just get basic out of the way. I'm missing Christmas, New Years and possibly my birthday (if boot camp decides to go 10 weeks as opposed to 8 due to the holidays).

I've been crying a lot because I'm going to miss my family. I'm not feeling anything really towards boot camp. Like, the big thing I'm worried about (besides my general orders/creed/calling the wrong person sir or ma'am) is just crying in front of an RDC. Quid has said that they're used to seeing people cry, but I am still going to try to not do that.

I'm still going in as an AV, plan to cross rate in two years just to get experience in something else before I get out. My recruiter said I better be an Ensign by the time I leave but I'm not really sure what kind of benefits that'll give me when I get out of the Navy.

So wish me luck! I plan to make some youtube videos about boot camp when I get out because some other sailors have been doing that and it seems like a nice thing to do to help others and myself.

• Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    I'm 32 and I'm about to hit 11 years in the Air Force. Also, I put on E6 in a week! Yay!

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Been recommended for medical board. Also, a former soldier in my unit is working on the schoolhouse computers here said they were hiring and my MOS (Signal) was perfect. Starts out as a GS-9. I imagine I'll continue going to school for a bachelors degree (probably mathematics, but we'll see) if I get this job so I can do some advancin'.

I've spent the last few weeks working on talking like a normal person to normal people. I'm going to be taking the work ethic and job dedication the Army taught me (Because I was pretty much a slimeball before it), but leave everything else in my boots that will be hanging from a telephone wire the day I get out.

My wife found a house, I'm pretty sure I have a job, and the Army finally decided that 4 bulging discs, 1 slipped disc, arthritis in my neck and back and shoulders, sciatica, tendonitis in my ankle, a botched shoulder surgery, GERD, and hypertension was enough punishment for my body and are shoving me lovingly out the door into the VA's cold, slothlike appendages... and not a moment too soon: It looks like the Army is about to double-down on the crazy.

• Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    the Army finally decided that 4 bulging discs, 1 slipped disc, arthritis in my neck and back and shoulders, sciatica, tendonitis in my ankle, a botched shoulder surgery, GERD, and hypertension was enough punishment for my body

Holy christ. D:

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    the Army finally decided that 4 bulging discs, 1 slipped disc, arthritis in my neck and back and shoulders, sciatica, tendonitis in my ankle, a botched shoulder surgery, GERD, and hypertension was enough punishment for my body

Holy christ. D:

Yup. But according to my 1sg it's all in my head.

jungleroomx on
  • Options

Holy christ. D:

Your shirt shouldn't be dismissing medical diagnoses. That's some messed up stuff.

CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options

Holy christ. D:

Your shirt shouldn't be dismissing medical diagnoses. That's some messed up stuff.

To add insult to injury the entire Brigade chain of command has imposed extra PT on those with temporary profiles (even post-surgical ones) as a method of rehabilitation and "fat fighting."

In my own personal unit, I've seen one person in particular tell people with no-sweating profiles (post eye surgery or with open surgical cuts that still had stitches) that because HE wasn't even close to sweating that there was no WAY they were putting in enough effort! I've also seen "no gear" profiles from myself and another soldier interpreted as "you can wear your gear for 15 minutes then take it off for a while!"

I'm so glad you get a medical degree when you get past E7.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    I'm so glad you get a medical degree when you get past E7.

Yeah, while the AF isn't as bad there seems to be an amazing amount of people ignoring what is an order from mil docs.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    I know a girl who is still running despite being on a profile. In her opinion, the profile just says they can't force her to run.

• Options
    There's something of a difference between a person deciding they can do physical activity and their supe deciding they can.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »
    There's something of a difference between a person deciding they can do physical activity and their supe deciding they can.

Especially if its an "Own pace and distance".

I would run (I enjoy it) if it didn't hurt like hell the rest of the day.

• Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    In fact, if someone is being ordered by the doc to NOT do X, and they do, they can be found in violation of UCMJ and punished for disobeying an order.

• Options
    In fact, if someone is being ordered by the doc to NOT do X, and they do, they can be found in violation of UCMJ and punished for disobeying an order.

Malingering and "destruction of government property".

• Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular

Malingering and "destruction of government property".

Hahaha, something like that yes.

• Options
    Pirate ViperPirate Viper Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    Welp, I leave Monday. I was originally leaving in March but a spot opened up and after talking about it with my folks, I decided to just get basic out of the way. I'm missing Christmas, New Years and possibly my birthday (if boot camp decides to go 10 weeks as opposed to 8 due to the holidays).

I've been crying a lot because I'm going to miss my family. I'm not feeling anything really towards boot camp. Like, the big thing I'm worried about (besides my general orders/creed/calling the wrong person sir or ma'am) is just crying in front of an RDC. Quid has said that they're used to seeing people cry, but I am still going to try to not do that.

I'm still going in as an AV, plan to cross rate in two years just to get experience in something else before I get out. My recruiter said I better be an Ensign by the time I leave but I'm not really sure what kind of benefits that'll give me when I get out of the Navy.

So wish me luck! I plan to make some youtube videos about boot camp when I get out because some other sailors have been doing that and it seems like a nice thing to do to help others and myself.

I can't say for sure this is the case for the Navy, maybe @quid could give better guidance, but I went through army basic training during the holidays and we went home for around two weeks. The Instructors don't want to be there with you on the holidays anymore than you want to be with them. It will put you in the hole for leave though since you will have little to none earned at that point. Sorry if this is something you're already aware of but I figured I would mention it in case not,

• Options
    I want to say they do but I honestly have no idea. I was there during Summer and never looked back once I was gone.

• Options
    So the Navy isn't allowed to drink between 10pm and 8am in Japan. The entire Navy, regardless of leave or liberty status, inside or outside of their homes.

• Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    So the Navy isn't allowed to drink between 10pm and 8am in Japan. The entire Navy, regardless of leave or liberty status, inside or outside of their homes.

Ahahahahaha! Good luck enforcing that, Navy.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    100% agree. It's both ridiculous and awesome at the same time.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    darklite_x wrote: »

Next thing you know it'll be against the rules to drink in a combat zone.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    casper_27dcasper_27d The Friendly Ghost EverywhereRegistered User regular

I can't say for sure this is the case for the Navy, maybe @quid could give better guidance, but I went through army basic training during the holidays and we went home for around two weeks. The Instructors don't want to be there with you on the holidays anymore than you want to be with them. It will put you in the hole for leave though since you will have little to none earned at that point. Sorry if this is something you're already aware of but I figured I would mention it in case not,
    You get around 14 days for the Christmas Exodus, some of the Drills and Soldiers stay but all the troops are afforded to apportunity to go home if they would like. I saw a couple rotations where the Soldiers just wanted to finish, they had to go to exodus just to come back for 4 more days of training then graduation.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Taranis wrote: »
    darklite_x wrote: »

Next thing you know it'll be against the rules to drink in a combat zone.

I really believe in all of my heart that the entirety of Navy personnel in Japan will be celebrating New Year's Eve sober.

spookymuffin on
  • Options
    We got caught in that shit when passing through Singapore. Freaking infuriating after our team spent a week in PI with no incident.

• Options
    I've really never understood why one person's actions have an effect on the 99.99999% of people who are doing the right thing. It's like setting a house on fire to get rid of a rat.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Ineffectual abstinence policies are easier to implement than blocks of education for your subordinates.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    Woo, just finished Army BCT and I'm on my way to AIT!

That certainly was an experience.

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    Army life was tolerable when I had leadership that I got along with (and actually liked in most cases). But now that we are ending our "reset" phase, and got a new CO and 1SG within a week, and now a new PL, and pretty soon all our squad leaders and team leaders will be PCSing.... oh dear it's been terrible.

My ETS is January 2014, but you can be sure I'll try my hardest to separate early for school enrollment. Guess I better start talking to ACAP now even though I don't really have to for another six months.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular

Too late I guess, but I went to Navy boot camp from 4 Nov 2003 to 14 Jan 2004. We did not go home at all. For Thanksgiving we had Holiday Routine, and on Christmas they bussed us out to local families/churches for the day. That was all.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Whoo! Took the plunge and signed on for five more years. I'll just need seven more after that.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Grats? My enlistment takes me to 12, but I can't handle another 8 after that. It's either back to college on the GI Bill or working at a commercial nuke plant for me.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    I don't think I could quit after 12 years. Once I reenlisted the first time, I kind of decided that this was a career. If I didn't like it, I would have gotten out as soon as I could.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I don't think I could quit after 12 years. Once I reenlisted the first time, I kind of decided that this was a career. If I didn't like it, I would have gotten out as soon as I could.
    You could always go Federal worker, Army civilian or what not. It's a reasonable transition and you have 4 retirements that way. I know a lot of people where I work that did exactly that.

• Options
    EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    I will hit 12 years in January and I'll ETS. I used to think the same way, that after 10 if I was still in I might as well retire from it.

Couldn't be further from the truth. I'm counting down the days. I've already lost my security clearance from non-use (they have a 5yr expiration from last usage, and since I reclassed to MOS immaterial to be a drill sergeant, I haven't used or needed to had it be on my record for 5 years). I cannot wait. 12 years in and it's almost all over.

31 days left.

XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Options
    Evigilant wrote: »
    I will hit 12 years in January and I'll ETS. I used to think the same way, that after 10 if I was still in I might as well retire from it.

Couldn't be further from the truth. I'm counting down the days. I've already lost my security clearance from non-use (they have a 5yr expiration from last usage, and since I reclassed to MOS immaterial to be a drill sergeant, I haven't used or needed to had it be on my record for 5 years). I cannot wait. 12 years in and it's almost all over.

31 days left.

Congrats my friend.

There's such a wide variety of jobs in the military that a blanket statement for staying in or getting out is impossible. It's really up to the job you have. Some jobs is easy to make it to retirement doing things very similar to a civilian. Other jobs involve you taking small arms fire quite often.

I don't think being in a job for another 16 years that YOU hate is worth any retirement.

CoH_infantry.jpg
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    Evigilant wrote: »

31 days left.

Congrats my friend.

There's such a wide variety of jobs in the military that a blanket statement for staying in or getting out is impossible. It's really up to the job you have. Some jobs is easy to make it to retirement doing things very similar to a civilian. Other jobs involve you taking small arms fire quite often.

I don't think being in a job for another 16 years that YOU hate is worth any retirement.

Let me recommend trying to get that clearance back - much easier to get a gov't contracting job afterwards if you have an active clearance, esp. b/c you will have an easier time geting an interim TS if you have a regular old secret.

fwKS7.png?1
This discussion has been closed.