As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cry Havok and let loose the dogs of the [Military Thread]

• YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Evigilant wrote: »
    you shouldn't have signed that contract.

This is the most retarded phrase that I keep hearing. So many people use this as a blanket to say that it's ok that you're being fucked over.

That is the military's attitude though. It is a volunteer force, nobody made you enlist or accept a commission.

Yoshua on
  • Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yoshua wrote: »

This is the most retarded phrase that I keep hearing. So many people use this as a blanket to say that it's ok that you're being fucked over.

That is the military's attitude though. It is a volunteer force, nobody made you enlist or accept a commission.

I agree, but that doesn't make it a valid excuse for abusing its members.

Iceman.USAF on
  • EvigilantEvigilant VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

Simmer down, you're taking that phrase much further than intended. The point of that phrase is to do your research, not bend over and let the military fuck you.

Do your research, do the homework, take your time and really sit down and think it through. Joining the military is a big fucking life changing experience and if you go into it half-assed and get stuck in a duty position or location you don't like, well the military doesn't give a shit if it discomforts you or displeases you and they'll say, "do your fucking job and in a few years try to move somewhere else". If you join and they deploy you overseas before you finish school, well tough shit, you knew the risks and you rationalized and accepted that in order for you to get the school money you where willing to risk the chance of deploying.

There's an obvious difference between being stuck in a job you dislike, in a location you dislike and unable to attend school because you don't have the time, to being fucked over because someone is purposely doing it. If someone is purposely fucking you over, go as high up the chain of command it takes in order to get it resolved.

Signing the contract doesn't give anyone an excuse to fuck you over.

Edit:
    And I don't feel I need to clarify, but just in case someone misunderstands again.

To be fucked over:
    Drawing the personal ire of someone to the point where they are targeting you specifically for more than your fair share of duty; purposely keeping you down and refusing to promote you based on personal dislike (for the Army at least, E-2 through E-6 are all at the Battalion CO and CSM's approval); refusing to send you to training because of a personal distaste; etc... That's unacceptable.

Being stuck in a miserable MOS/duty station, being deployed, not being allowed to go to college because you're busy/gone etc.. is being fucked over by a whole different group: that's being fucked over by Big Military, and everyone is being fucked over constantly from them, that's military life. That's something you can avoid by either being more demanding with your enlistment, reaching a point where your orders are up and you get to change duty stations, you reach a point you can reclass, you do your time and get out, OR by not joining the military.

Evigilant on
    XBL\PSN\Steam\Origin: Evigilant
  • Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Simmer down, you're taking that phrase much further than intended. The point of that phrase is to do your research, not bend over and let the military fuck you.

Do your research, do the homework, take your time and really sit down and think it through. Joining the military is a big fucking life changing experience and if you go into it half-assed and get stuck in a duty position or location you don't like, well the military doesn't give a shit if it discomforts you or displeases you and they'll say, "do your fucking job and in a few years try to move somewhere else". If you join and they deploy you overseas before you finish school, well tough shit, you knew the risks and you rationalized and accepted that in order for you to get the school money you where willing to risk the chance of deploying.

There's an obvious difference between being stuck in a job you dislike, in a location you dislike and unable to attend school because you don't have the time, to being fucked over because someone is purposely doing it. If someone is purposely fucking you over, go as high up the chain of command it takes in order to get it resolved.

Edit:
    And I don't feel I need to clarify, but just in case someone misunderstands again.

To be fucked over:
    Drawing the personal ire of someone to the point where they are targeting you specifically for more than your fair share of duty; purposely keeping you down and refusing to promote you based on personal dislike (for the Army at least, E-2 through E-6 are all at the Battalion CO and CSM's approval); refusing to send you to training because of a personal distaste; etc... That's unacceptable.

Being stuck in a miserable MOS/duty station, being deployed, not being allowed to go to college because you're busy/gone etc.. is being fucked over by a whole different group: that's being fucked over by Big Military, and everyone is being fucked over constantly from them, that's military life. That's something you can avoid by either being more demanding with your enlistment, reaching a point where your orders are up and you get to change duty stations, you reach a point you can reclass, you do your time and get out, OR by not joining the military.

Now too be fair when looking on the website it simply said that it is 1 weekend a month, 2 weeks each summer. Albeit I hadn't dug too far and I came here to just get some ideas about the whole thing not a big lecture.

Ziac45 on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011

Edit:

To be fucked over:

I don't know, people in the military definitely can fuck you over personally and selectively and you have nothing to do about it. I mean there are regulations about rest hours but everyone else is working 8 to 10 hours and I was always made to work 10 to 14 hours, not the worst hours in the world but it sucks when you are trying to go to school, gym and stay sane. It isn't against regulations but it really sucks, it was all because I had a supervisor who was trying to make himself look good.

I don't hate him for it or anything but being dragged a long the course for someone elses promotion blows, especially when I got punished constantly for not meeting his expectations. I know this sounds like me bitching, but the point is there are plently of ways to get fucked in the military and for it to be okay. I tried to go through my chain of command and they got really upset with me, tried to take actions to get me kicked out of the military. Lesson learned, do what you are told no matter how shit it is.

Fizban140 on
  • SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Despite my surgeon writing a letter to MEPS explaining my situation and clearing me for strenuous physical activity, the Seattle MEPS doctor declined my waiver.

Now I have to wait 6 months until my application and records are cleared. I will then visit a different MEPS in Oregon, California, or Arizona.

I'll be 35yrs old next year. Is the military still doing age waivers?

Slider on
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm thinking about talking to an Army recruiter this week.

I figure I'm 23 now. I figure I'm going to be 28 anyway, I might as well be 28 with some career skills. That, and (as cheesy as it sounds) doing something for my country would be better than spending the next half decade or so going nowhere with some crappy job.

I don't know if I'm in the kind of shape I'd need to be in, though. If I went through with it, that might be a temporary hurdle.

Assuming someone barely scrapes by on the physical requirements, does bootcamp do a decent job of getting someone into shape quickly?

SmokeStacks on
  • CharismaismydumpstatCharismaismydumpstat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Assuming someone barely scrapes by on the physical requirements, does bootcamp do a decent job of getting someone into shape quickly?

I cannot recommend to you enough that you get reasonably fit before joining up.

Preparing yourself physically doesn't take a lot of effort and by not doing that you are setting yourself up to fail. You will make things a lot harder for yourself if you turn up unfit. You don't want to get a reputation as a fatty.

Turn up with a good standard of fitness and you'll breeze through training.

Charismaismydumpstat on
  • ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I know a lot of people like to roll their eyes at someone who says they "want to serve their country" quite often, but I never downplay it when someone says so. I know for a lot of people it's a day job with a paycheck, but personally, I greatly enjoy being able to collect a paycheck doing something in the service of others, and to our country. I could easily have gone straight to college and ended up working for some private company with poor promotion and pay opportunities, hating my job.

Not to say I don't hate my job sometimes, but at least it's something that's worthwhile.

A little bit about the physical standards in boot camp: as a Navy drill instructor, I can tell you that we get plenty of people who don't even meet minimums the day they set foot onboard to blow past the requirements by the end of boot camp. I can only imagine the Army has a leg up on us in that respect.

That being said, it will relieve you of a great deal of pressure if you're in shape prior to shipping out. But don't let that keep you from talking to the recruiter. I know in most cases, my recruits tell me they've been sitting around for up to a year waiting to go to boot camp. So you have time even if you signed papers today.

ZeroFill on
  • Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Lots of recruiters run some kind of PT programs as well, so they may be able to hook you up in that regard.

Iceman.USAF on
  • YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Slider wrote: »
    Despite my surgeon writing a letter to MEPS explaining my situation and clearing me for strenuous physical activity, the Seattle MEPS doctor declined my waiver.

Now I have to wait 6 months until my application and records are cleared. I will then visit a different MEPS in Oregon, California, or Arizona.

The Army is trying to downsize, so waivers could be very hard to come by. That said, I think 35 is the cut off, so you should be good. It was up to 42 for awhile, but I heard they brought it back down.

Yoshua on
  • programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm thinking about talking to an Army recruiter this week.

I figure I'm 23 now. I figure I'm going to be 28 anyway, I might as well be 28 with some career skills. That, and (as cheesy as it sounds) doing something for my country would be better than spending the next half decade or so going nowhere with some crappy job.

I don't know if I'm in the kind of shape I'd need to be in, though. If I went through with it, that might be a temporary hurdle.

Boot camp is for the Department of the Navy, we have Basic Combat Training. :P

Anyhow, here's a few tips:

- Talk to the recruiter now. They'll help tell you where you are physically, and you will definitely have at least a little time to get ready. It shouldn't be a year for Army, last I heard, but you'll have some time.

- What type of job do you want? If you have no opinion, ask about 35W (becomes 35P/35N after training) and taking a DLAB. It's one of the most versatile jobs in the army, and you can do everything from be a strategic weenie to go to SOCOM and kick ass and take names.

- Do be able to do the minimums of 13 pushups, 17 situps, 8:00 (8:30?) mile by the time you ship. I was borderline on those and it took a lot of effort to pass BCT. That said, my first PT score was a 74 (yes, total), and now I get over three times that.

programjunkie on
    edited May 2011

The Army is trying to downsize, so waivers could be very hard to come by. That said, I think 35 is the cut off, so you should be good. It was up to 42 for awhile, but I heard they brought it back down.

Should I try a different branch?

Slider on
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    - Do be able to do the minimums of 13 pushups, 17 situps, 8:00 (8:30?) mile by the time you ship. I was borderline on those and it took a lot of effort to pass BCT. That said, my first PT score was a 74 (yes, total), and now I get over three times that.

I must have incorrect information. The numbers I found were significantly higher than that.

I wasn't able to stop in today, but I plan on stopping by tomorrow to see if I can talk about it a bit or make an appointment if the recruiter is busy.

SmokeStacks on
  • Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    pffft, 35W? fuck that noise brah. definitely hit up that 68W. soldier medic, warrior spirit, hooah. who cares about your "job" and "career" and "serving your country" when you can diddle chicks in san antonio for AIT??

what's that?? no weekend passes? bro who needs a weekend pass when you can fuck inside a bunker (or a port-a-potty) during ftx??

plus if you don't like it you just make some shit up, like god doesn't want you to be in the army or you're gay (uh oh wait). when that doesn't work just up and blame an injury on the army and get put on med hold, sit around for a year collect active pay and then get paid the rest of your life for some inexplicable reason and then complain on facebook about how much you miss the army and wish you could help people

Feels Good Man on
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

Army has the highest age window still, short of something like Air National guard (40)

There was a 40 year old guy in my platoon. Guy was in great shape but i can only imagine that would be hell to go through being that old.

Jokerman on
    edited May 2011
    Jokerman wrote: »

Army has the highest age window still, short of something like Air National guard (40)

There was a 40 year old guy in my platoon. Guy was in great shape but i can only imagine that would be hell to go through being that old.

I'm in decent shape and am trying to get into OCS. I just need to find a MEPS that doesn't have assholes for doctors.

Slider on
  • Rocket SurgeryRocket Surgery Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    pffft, 35W? fuck that noise brah. definitely hit up that 68W. soldier medic, warrior spirit, hooah. who cares about your "job" and "career" and "serving your country" when you can diddle chicks in san antonio for AIT??

what's that?? no weekend passes? bro who needs a weekend pass when you can fuck inside a bunker (or a port-a-potty) during ftx??

plus if you don't like it you just make some shit up, like god doesn't want you to be in the army or you're gay (uh oh wait). when that doesn't work just up and blame an injury on the army and get put on med hold, sit around for a year collect active pay and then get paid the rest of your life for some inexplicable reason and then complain on facebook about how much you miss the army and wish you could help people

Bravo.

I swear I listened to the long version of this post from a medic and some other dude in a formation the other day. And every day basically.

Rocket Surgery on
  • programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I must have incorrect information. The numbers I found were significantly higher than that.

It might be old info, I've been in for about two years now (E-4 in 35 days, knock on wood!).

More is better, of course.

programjunkie on
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

I'm in decent shape and am trying to get into OCS. I just need to find a MEPS that doesn't have assholes for doctors.

Good luck man, i've yet to find a MEPS doctor who wasn't an asshole.

Jokerman on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So a friend of a friend who is in the Coast Guard just passed word to me that they're starting recruiting again (and seeing this on google seems to corroborate it). Last time I tried to join (2009), the recruiter told me that unless I had some kind of special skill or experience that stood out, it wasn't worth either of our time to make an appointment and discuss signing up because there wasn't a chance in hell of getting in. But I figure hey, if they're increasing recruiting, I'll give it a shot now.

I'm quitting my pot habit now, and increasing my exercise to get into better shape. Would I be better off talking to a recruiter ASAP, or after I've been clean for 30 days and maybe lost a few pounds?

edit: for the record I'm not totally out of shape, I can jog a decent amount, just still kind of chunky.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited May 2011
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    So a friend of a friend who is in the Coast Guard just passed word to me that they're starting recruiting again (and seeing this on google seems to corroborate it). Last time I tried to join (2009), the recruiter told me that unless I had some kind of special skill or experience that stood out, it wasn't worth either of our time to make an appointment and discuss signing up because there wasn't a chance in hell of getting in. But I figure hey, if they're increasing recruiting, I'll give it a shot now.

I'm quitting my pot habit now, and increasing my exercise to get into better shape. Would I be better off talking to a recruiter ASAP, or after I've been clean for 30 days and maybe lost a few pounds?

edit: for the record I'm not totally out of shape, I can jog a decent amount, just still kind of chunky.

According to this, depending on usage and last usage of weed, will require a waiver:
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/enlstandards2.htm
    http://www.military.com/Recruiting/Content/0,13898,rec_step07_DQ_alcohol_drug,,00.html

A piss test is done at MEPS, regardless of use, everyone has to do it. If you've done it more than 15 times (what a stupid low amount), expect to be drug screened and require a waiver. If you have a criminal charge for it, depending on the charge, it either disqualifies you or you'll need a waiver (reading over those links, it looks like regardless of the charge, it will disqualify you from both CG and AF). At the very least expect to need a waiver.

The question of if you should tell your recruiter everything always comes up. In my opinion, regardless if it's right or not, you should tell your recruiter just so you have one less thing to stress over. Also, if you fail to tell the recruiter or anyone at MEPS, and it comes up later in your career, you will receive a misconduct discharge for fraudulent enlistment. If you tell the recruiter, chances are they'll work with you and set up a drug screen a couple months prior to enlisting and make sure you show signs of staying off it.

BUT the recruiter will probably tell you to keep quiet at MEPS if your usage has stopped and was never an issue. "If you weren't caught, it didn't happen".

Evigilant on
  • UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just did my physical at Los Angeles MEPS yesterday and passed fine except I'm ridiculously nearsighted in my right eye, so I have to go back for a more extensive check.

I actually found the doctors pretty pleasant - I just kept in mind that they see hundreds of assholes every day (literally) and they deserve some courtesy and respect. The office staff and technicians were worse, but it's understandable. It might have also helped that I'm a bit older than the average person they see.

Anyways, the doctor I talked to said he would waive my eyesight if it is an issue without hesitation, but I don't know if he'll ever be taking another look at my stuff again. Wouldn't be the end of the world to need a waiver (so long as I can get it) since that gives me more time to get in better shape.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Man we have been kicking people out left and right for little things. Rank advancements are still really slow.

I haven't understood why the USCG has so many new recruits (I'm at one of the rate training centers) coming in all the time while we get rid of the experienced folk.

Then again I am stil always surprised how many of our people pop postive for weed. We have a strict policy on it not to mention our mission is to stop drug traffickers.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

According to this, depending on usage and last usage of weed, will require a waiver:
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/enlstandards2.htm
    http://www.military.com/Recruiting/Content/0,13898,rec_step07_DQ_alcohol_drug,,00.html

A piss test is done at MEPS, regardless of use, everyone has to do it. If you've done it more than 15 times (what a stupid low amount), expect to be drug screened and require a waiver. If you have a criminal charge for it, depending on the charge, it either disqualifies you or you'll need a waiver (reading over those links, it looks like regardless of the charge, it will disqualify you from both CG and AF). At the very least expect to need a waiver.

The question of if you should tell your recruiter everything always comes up. In my opinion, regardless if it's right or not, you should tell your recruiter just so you have one less thing to stress over. Also, if you fail to tell the recruiter or anyone at MEPS, and it comes up later in your career, you will receive a misconduct discharge for fraudulent enlistment. If you tell the recruiter, chances are they'll work with you and set up a drug screen a couple months prior to enlisting and make sure you show signs of staying off it.

BUT the recruiter will probably tell you to keep quiet at MEPS if your usage has stopped and was never an issue. "If you weren't caught, it didn't happen".

Hm. Thanks, food for thought.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's the same in the Navy right now, blue side (Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard) are getting the short end of the personnel funding stick, so we're bleeding people off left and right.

Right now in the Navy, you're competitively ranked each time you re-enlist. Lots of people simply aren't allowed to; if you rolled the dice and are in an unlucky rating (MOS), there will be no slots for you to fill and you will be required to convert...if there are conversion slots open (there usually isn't). It's also not particularly career enhancing to switch your job around halfway through your career.

Not to mention that right now, getting NJP, or failing a physical fitness test is basically career death. Those are two major components of the "Perform to Serve" program in ways that they rank you against everyone else in a point system. Any NJP or PRT failures and you go right to the bottom of the stack.

People that get out are having a ridiculously hard time coming back in right now, though like Hyper said, I still see a flood of new recruits coming in at boot camp. I'm sure the Navy wants to use these guys for a few years at a cheaper paygrade before they find a way to kick them out and deny them the ability to retire.

ZeroFill on
  • FPA20111FPA20111 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Army seems to be adopting an attrition attitude against Enlisted personnel. Re-enlisting seems to be incredibly difficult unless you're an important or hard to fill MOS.

My recruiter told me the other day that they're re-upping the effective requirements for OCS entry, 3.8 GPA and sterling criminal record or don't even bother.

FPA20111 on
    The paranoid man believes that everyone is out to get him. The intelligent man knows that everyone is out to get him.
  • Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    3.8 GPA? hahaha well shit fellas I'm out, there goes that plan

Feels Good Man on
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    3.8 GPA? hahaha well shit fellas I'm out, there goes that plan

I suggest applying anyway. I got into an officer school that had a 10% selection rate, and my GPA was 2.55. It literally said nothing about me. Everything else that I accomplished did.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
    edited May 2011
    FPA20111 wrote: »
    The Army seems to be adopting an attrition attitude against Enlisted personnel. Re-enlisting seems to be incredibly difficult unless you're an important or hard to fill MOS.

My recruiter told me the other day that they're re-upping the effective requirements for OCS entry, 3.8 GPA and sterling criminal record or don't even bother.

Either you're exaggerating or your recruiter is full of it. I can understand a clean criminal history, but no college graduate with a 3.8 GPA is going to be beating down the Army's door unless OCS is literally the only thing they've ever wanted to do with their life (and why weren't they in ROTC then?).

This all may be still related to where you're located. I'm out in the middle of nowhere with hardly any four-year universities in the area and my recruiter is fairly confident about my chances - and I most definitely don't have a 3.8 GPA. The fact of the matter is that they don't pass many officer candidates through that station; in busier or more developed places I could see recruiters discouraging OCS applicants since it takes a lot more work for them to put one through compared to your average enlisted soldier.

Ultimanecat on
  • ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just showed up at my unit in Ft. Leonard Wood, and it's... different. It's a combat engineer unit (which I am), but I got put in the HQ platoon and will be the CO's driver. Not sure why they chose me, but I'm the only engineer MOS in the platoon.

Strange times.

Oh, and temp housing sucks.

Zenitram on
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ... no college graduate with a 3.8 GPA is going to be beating down the Army's door unless OCS is literally the only thing they've ever wanted to do with their life (and why weren't they in ROTC then?).

That's not necessarily true. There are students who want to become officers but can't do ROTC at university. It could be too far away or not offered.

My situation, and I knew a few others as well, was from playing varsity sports. You can't do a sport and ROTC; pick one. "You only have one chance at the sport, but you can get into OTS later." Little did I know that the OTS route would have me waiting almost two years to commission.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
    edited May 2011

Either you're exaggerating or your recruiter is full of it. I can understand a clean criminal history, but no college graduate with a 3.8 GPA is going to be beating down the Army's door unless OCS is literally the only thing they've ever wanted to do with their life (and why weren't they in ROTC then?).

This all may be still related to where you're located. I'm out in the middle of nowhere with hardly any four-year universities in the area and my recruiter is fairly confident about my chances - and I most definitely don't have a 3.8 GPA. The fact of the matter is that they don't pass many officer candidates through that station; in busier or more developed places I could see recruiters discouraging OCS applicants since it takes a lot more work for them to put one through compared to your average enlisted soldier.

It's just a matter of having way too many applicants. The way he made it sound is they just have too many, so they're making the requirements that much harder. I suppose he could have been giving me a story, but I don't see why he would considering I'm not trying to get into OCS nor did I ever ask him to help me get in. He just brought it up during our weekly check-in.

Edit: My recruiter is in relatively close proximity to three state universities, so it might be a battalion-specific order, since they see so many people with 4-year degrees come in.

FPA20111 on
    The paranoid man believes that everyone is out to get him. The intelligent man knows that everyone is out to get him.
    edited May 2011

It's just a matter of having way too many applicants. The way he made it sound is they just have too many, so they're making the requirements that much harder. I suppose he could have been giving me a story, but I don't see why he would considering I'm not trying to get into OCS nor did I ever ask him to help me get in. He just brought it up during our weekly check-in.

Edit: My recruiter is in relatively close proximity to three state universities, so it might be a battalion-specific order, since they see so many people with 4-year degrees come in.

Yeah, I'm not really questioning college students who want to go to Army OCS (some schools don't have ROTC, some students don't know what they want to do until it is too late to get into ROTC). Perfectly understandable.

I'm actually questioning the high GPA requirement quoted. Depending on your school and major, having a 3.8 GPA would probably put you in the top 1% - 5% of your graduating class. Requiring that sort of GPA would pretty much make Army OCS one of the most academically selective graduate-entry programs / positions in the nation. That's good if the Army wants those sorts of people but they're probably not going to be getting many applicants except the rare superachiever who has focused on OCS for some reason when he or she could also be seriously looking at grad school, law school, internships with the State Dept, etc.

The only reason the bar would be set at a 3.8 GPA would be to effectively close applications while still nominally keeping the program open. That of course is a possibility.

Ultimanecat on
    edited May 2011

They need to be stringent. Letting people in who don't meet standards weakens the force as a whole and puts the questionable individual in danger.

FPA20111 on
    edited May 2011

They need to be stringent. Letting people in who don't meet standards weakens the force as a whole and puts the questionable individual in danger.

Yeah, except it's all bullshit. I go to the gym 5-days a week. Today I busted my ass for 1.5hrs and then ran 2 miles. I'm in far better shape than many new recruits.

I don't know why they won't let me in, but I can only assume it's because I MIGHT have kidney problems when I'm 50yrs old and they don't want to pay for my medical expenses.

Fuck that.

Slider on
    edited May 2011

Yeah, except it's all bullshit. I go to the gym 5-days a week. Today I busted my ass for 1.5hrs and then ran 2 miles. I'm in far better shape than many new recruits.

I don't know why they won't let me in, but I can only assume it's because I MIGHT have kidney problems when I'm 50yrs old and they don't want to pay for my medical expenses.

Fuck that.

The bolded is most likely exactly it.

When I had to get a waiver for my childhood hyperventilation, I had to have the childhood doctor who gave me the inhaler, the doctor who I don't remember because it had been at that time at least 10 years since I had the inhaler, and regardless that it had been 10 years, still have to get a breathing test administered by a contracted MEPS physician, all just to be able to swear in.

And that was at the very last phase of MEPS, when they are just reviewing all the paperwork and asking questions. If I had just kept quiet for 5 more minutes, I could've avoided all that nonsense.

If it helps at all, I'd have your doctor write instead of clearing you for strenuous activity, clearing you for all activity. Because honestly, a MEPS doctor will probably read the letter and think that while you're cleared for strenuous activity, the types of strenuous activity you're cleared for is limited in nature and not all encompassing and then decline the waiver. So if you can, just have your doctor reword it to being cleared back to normal activity with no limitations.

Best of luck.

Evigilant on
    edited May 2011
    I had my surgeon write me a letter, which I gave to my recruiter. It's dated March 29, 2011. This is what is says.

To Whom It May Concern:

This is in regards to a followup on <name>. As you may know, he underwent a right laparoscopic pyeloplasty for a congenital UPJ obstruction on May 6, 2010. He just had his followup Lasix washout renal scan performed. His kidney function is overall stable, and he continues to display improved urinary excretion compared with before surgery.

There is no need for any further therapy at this point, although we will continue to follow him and his progress for at least three years.

As mentioned before, he has no restrictions of any type of activities, including strenuous exercise. Feel free to contact me if there are any further questions.

Slider on
    edited May 2011
    Another factor could be the line in there about continuing to follow you.

The military may not have the facilities to 'monitor' you during your initial training. It also makes it sound to be a more chronic condition than it may actually be. I would see about getting that part edited out in favor of a more concrete prognosis.

ZeroFill on
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, it sort of sounds like I may drop dead within the next 3 years.

More good news! TSA just placed me on a medical hold! Yay! It's my assumption that I will yet again be required to prove how healthy I am to the fucking federal government.

It sure feels good to be an American.

Slider on
This discussion has been closed.