Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Art and comics and stuff from acadia (now featuring the old west)

13»

• acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    Real paint! I struggled simply using the tools I had to get what I was looking for, in the end most of what I like about the painting occurred as a result of happy accidents. Bob Ross always did make a lot of sense to me. Acrylics, copied a photo for the most part.

blyzskzbbjf8.png

IrukatapeslingerEncF87
    edited January 2016
    I've been drawing a lot during a Star Wars Roleplaying game my friends and I play. This is us escaping a star destroyer, after detonating an emp device that took the whole ship offline (but ours was shielded):
    wvnlox1u3l61.png

Later, we end up on Tattooine searching the Jakku canyons for a Sith temple.
    b3s9egt1sre9.png

We find the temple one night, a few days into our search, in a deeper portion of the canyon. The temple was a death trap. Probably a bad idea to go there, ultimately.
    4a524pesnvw9.png

After that whole storyline, we went to Bespin. This is our Wookiee and Astromech characters visiting a museum of space oddities.
    44yco6pz0v9h.png

My character participates in a Cloudcar race while we're there!
    ogki2gnanoit.png

acadia on
    tapeslinger
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Remember to try and diversify the sizes in each composition, rule of three etc. (small, medium, large)
    Try this exercise on for a start: draw three boxes on a piece of paper. None of the measurements (from box to box, each box's individual length etc.) are allowed to repeat themselves. If you find one measurement that is very very close to another measurement, either fix it or start over.
    You want to go for a dynamic composition, anyone can do a harmonic and symmetrical composition, dynamism is fucking hard.

acadia
    edited January 2016
    I tried to do four in a row. Upon further review, I think only one really adhered to your assignment. You're right, this is hard. I'll try to keep that more in mind. Any other good exercises for this sort of thing that you can remember?
    spz6bcmmaxr0.png

@m3nace After thinking about it for a while, I'm not entirely sure what to take away from your exercise. I guess that the main subjects of my compositions shouldn't be so uniform in size? Tried to apply this to my cloudcar drawing (shitty msPaint edit -- it DOES feel more dynamic. Fancy that):
    vuddnb2u952i.png

acadia on
    m3nace
    More Star Wars RPG notes:
    Revisited the cloudcar drawing, tried making it a bit more dynamic:
    r62sue6ggmj6.png

We completed a heist! We stole a gem from that museum you saw in the previous post and escaped, but our getaway shuttle had a bomb on it! One of us didn't make the jump to the safe platform, and only survived the fall through clever use of the force (cheating).
    js3le8deos2k.png

Also playing a DnD campaign, as a Dwarf fighter named Craic:
    rjfii61eh1xi.png

Probably some really fucked up perspective on this page:
    56e5jptjcf23.png

Hiding from goblins in a cave with a lake. One of our party botches a hide roll, and a blind amphibious creature ambushes him, causing quite a ruckus.
    4ewt9itq1n1p.png

And we fought an ogre! Our druid has a pretty baller entangle spell.
    4mtr2vx4vigv.png

And quick portrait of a friend and a ball lighting practice page in which I do not actually ever successfully draw a ball.
    94nfhhrgqq7e.png
    aia034pljci2.png

tapeslingerEnc
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion The Land of Flowers (and Dragons)Registered User regular
    I think your circle -> wizard discovery is a good one!

Guns make you stupid. Better to fight your wars with duct tape. Duct tape makes you smart.

I make Encounter Maps for Pathfinder and D&D! Check them out here: https://falleron.com/
    acadia
    hy6zpkv281s4.png

trying to nail down a style for this comic that won't be too crazy time-consuming, but is still fun to look at

WIND.png 183.4K
    IrukatapeslingerF87Prospiciencem3nace
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    these last two paintings are super fun

acadiaProspicienceDoodmann
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    It seems like environments are a strength of yours. It's fun to see all the different environments in your roleplaying drawings, but for some of them it seems like the wide angle is really not the best to show the action you are describing (such as the platform jump and the cave amphibian). Maybe try challenging yourself to draw different angles to highlight the story in the scene.

acadiatapeslinger
    edited January 6
    I'm not dead!

Painted this as a christmas present for my parents. My dad's favorite photo of them:
    2zt2g9z9iu89.png
    detail of my dad's big dumb face:
    vs3cu1f61yed.png

And I've been (finally) making some of those western comics too!
    56xpz0x3l2u9.png
    demxhdbs8ccf.png
    hnb05gui8chs.png
    9syabfbdv1uw.png
    cl1n656mdjng.png
    exbbhxf8v5ex.png

I gotta figure out how to get a consistent look without feeling like I'm not learning.

acadia on
    Angel_of_Baconm3nacetapeslinger
    Colors in the comic are great!

The pic of your parents is nice too, if a little low on contrast. It may have been nice to add a little richness to that, since you have a bit of artistic license to do so.

tapeslinger
    Thanks, Iruka! I agree on the contrast. It was semi-intentional, as the source was an old photograph and I wanted to maintain that look a little. I actually had the thing printed on canvas and it came out a lot more washed out than I'd intended. I need to get better about checking my art on multiple monitors.

I've also been doing a continuation on that space comic I'd posted in the 'Comixperimentation lab'. The style has shifted about a little, as is my wont.
    10ywaogwqn7k.png
    q2nwa14bgdgd.png
    7cffnh71h6ar.png
    ndcx1z3lawq7.png
    vngjbnrhfnnh.png
    wafydahxqv76.png
    ab0dj2j8dwt6.png
    2ex2cafijzs9.png
    7w5z31oxjhmn.png
    jer7dskdb41a.png
    0yry0dop551v.png
    vpofggwys8mg.png
    ni6jkhwr3fwi.png
    gv85rdiat10x.png

Eventually I'm going to have him devise a way to circumvent the safety protocols to get out of the space station and onto the moon to die. Or maybe he tries and fails. Who knows? Not me, yet.

7.png 201.4K
    8.png 231.1K
    9.png 279.5K
    14.png 293.8K
    15.png 242.1K
    16.png 242.7K
    17.png 221.6K
    18.png 220.1K
    19.png 231.7K
    20.png 288.4K
    21.png 301.7K
    22.png 282.5K
    tapeslingerIrukaProspicience
    I like the space comic a bunch. I actually... dont mind where it ends now. I wish that there was just one more level of contrast, or that the shapes and the dialog were a little more designed as to maximize legibility.

The first two sketches from this last post are also nice. I think with just a little more control here and there, your work will be really solid. It has a really nice mood and charm to it, but sometimes the roughness gets in the way of reading the characters and shapes.

@Iruka Thank you for the feedback! I have no idea where I'll take the space comic, if anywhere. I'll probably end up revisiting the idea in some way or another, if not specifically this dude.

I'm not super confident in my linework on paper, having learned to draw primarily on a tablet (ctrl+z is cheating, and does not a draftsman make), so it ends up pretty rough, even if I know what I'm going for (also, impatient).

I'll keep chuggin along!

A gift for a 3 year old:
    pt3xujvot0zu.png

tapeslinger
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    acadia wrote: »
    hy6zpkv281s4.png

trying to nail down a style for this comic that won't be too crazy time-consuming, but is still fun to look at

This looks very Pixar :heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:

acadia
13»