As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

acadia's doing star wars or dnd rpg illustrations mostly [vaguely nsfw]

• acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    Thanks for the reply Iruka! Well, I've always defaulted to drawing/painting clouds when I have no other ideas bouncing around, so I guess putting them in the context of a landscape feels like a good idea. Outside of what feels like a good idea, I don't really know what work I plan to do, other than 'all of it' eventually. Probably too broad a statement, but that's how I'm tackling it (which I guess is part of the problem -- nothing in particular to target). I keep kicking myself for not going to art school (or taking any art classes beyond the occasional 'Drawing 101' type course in college as an elective). Any particular artists you'd recommend studying for portraiture? I don't have a ton of knowledge there (other than the biggies, like, Van Gogh and stuff).

I'll try using a harder brush for the landscape study tonight! I've tended to stick with one brush at one size for these, and it blends pretty heavily, which is probably contributing to the mushyness.

Sources are spoilered!

Tried to tighten up some of my brushwork on this one, but it's still pretty mushy -- all that detail in the foreground was driving me nuts. Absolutely nuts. (1.5 hours -- almost all of Mission: Impossible -- and goddamn that movie title really fit with how I felt about this one, gave up on the foreground after a while.)
    HTnLax7.png
    6UBOZxc.png

After that I was pretty well burnt out on the value studies and decided to try color. Was browsing the photo thread and saw an awesome shot by @Prospicience and thought it'd be a good one to get those hard shapes without a ton of tedious detail (plus, cool clouds! I don't usually draw these wispy ones). Really spent a lot of time on this one, but couldn't figure out how to do the grass without it looking like absolute butt, so I kept it soft. (2 hours -- Moving into Harrison Ford movies now, this one was done during Clear and Present Danger -- great flick, I didn't know anything about it going in and expected more ass kicking but it was satisfying nonetheless)
    Dt4ofu6.png
    V7N7Amm.png

Watched Air Force One tonight (1 hour, tops. The source is from Clear and Present Danger, though). Harrison Ford for President:
    aEm5so9.png
    vfWQyAG.jpg

I felt a lot more comfortable doing this one than the landscapes, I've never really practiced those outside of this thread. I think I got his likeness okay, but he definitely looks more angry in the source. Not totally sure what I missed.

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Harrison Ford is a really difficult likeness because he's got both an incredibly distinctive face and a range of expression that's different in nearly every character he's played (sometimes even between movies), so it is very difficult to pin down. I think your problem is in the eyes, specifically his left eyebrow and the size of the irises. The sketchiness of the line between the eyes (that curve that goes up around the browline, as well as the actual angling of the browline itself) makes him look confused instead of angry.

edited April 2015
    Yeah, he's hard. I see the confusion face. This is supposed to be like 'righteous anger,' cause he's telling the president off in this scene, and he's totally got the high ground. Looking at it today, I should have drawn him looking through his eyebrows a bit more. There's too much space there, and I think that's what's relaxing his expression.

Doodles:

Anatomy studies are kinda fun! You get to draw skeletons and stuff. Figure out how it all fits together.
    XO5ufbr.png

I'm toying with the idea of doing a little western story. I need to figure out how to draw cowboy hats! And spurs.
    iV6EEcv.png

I'm ALSO toying with the idea of doing a hitman/secret agent type story.
    S25SpZ6.png

And my brother's having a baby in a month, and they asked me to draw some safari stuff for the baby's room. Subconsciously inspired by DMACs (much cleaner and more stylistically consistent) stuff that he did for a similar reason.
    IKAtr5y.png
    lzDwpew.png
    SN3MjRe.png
    yKBAKm4.png
    (and then two days passed, and I did these next ones. They had more direct references, and upon review, they look quite different in style. Which is annoying.)
    s4ePzNl.png
    qC2WKXZ.png
    (secretary bird's like "what. come at me.")

acadia on
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    s4ePzNl.png

hqdefault.jpg

HELLO LADIES

Enc on
    That is my new favorite thing.

edited April 2015
    06cspyM.png

And I cleaned up the self portrait one a little bit.
    rPTxlH2.png

acadia on
    god bless beardmerica

I pledge allegiance -- to the beard -- and the patchy cheeks of Acadia.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    The self portrait lacks structure, I think you need a little study of one of these guys:
    http://artanecdotally.tumblr.com/post/72495562692/sheds-a-single-tear-by-the-way-this-image-is

edited April 2015
    Head study #1
    9m5iwf62gz1w.png

I am seeing a lot of small problems with it, it looks like his left (our right) cheekbone is pushed in? Or his jaw is bigger and pushed forward? Or his whole head is rotated slightly? I'm not entirely sure where I've gone wrong, but things don't quite line up. I realize now that using a black background would have helped to define the edges.

acadia on
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    It does seem like a lot of the little problems are all tied into the broader issue that the head is tilted a little. In the reference it feels like he is looking down and is head is angled down, whereas in your study he's looking more forward. It's interesting because it looks like you've drawn pretty accurately what it would have looked like to tilt the reference up like that, which wouldn't be a bad exercise to do from a visualization standpoint. But most likely what would help the most is just keeping in mind the gesture, from the very beginning, which is probably the most important thing to get right. Keeping that 'looking down' feeling at the front of your mind as something you want to get across would have helped you observe the angles more accurately. Overall it's a nice study and it's great that you did it :)

edited April 2015
    Head study 2. This one took about the same amount of time as the last one, but I used more than just the pencil tool, so that helped!

cTXYpLk.png

Looks like I've scrunched up his face a little bit, and he again looks like he's looking up more than the reference, but I feel like I'm getting closer...

acadia on
  • BrushwoodMuttBrushwoodMutt Registered User regular
    It looks good, but everything does appear to be a few shades lighter in your image than in the reference.

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    It might be an odd difference in monitor calibrations, but I'd say that a lot of those values are pretty darn close.

It's the sort of thing you'd probably pick up on when looking at it with fresh eyes, acadia, but there are a few little things to noodle with (chasing value, especially digitally, is something you can do forever and ever).

The darkest dark around the earlobe region could be just a little bit darker. The two largest planes on the side of the head might also be just a little bit darker in some areas. The bottom of largest plane on the side of the neck is just a little too light, especially where that sharp trapezius muscle plane is connecting to it.

Also, if you're going to go back into it, I'd suggest using a hard-edged round brush and trying cleaning up some of the hardest edges you see. That eyeball, for instance, could be very sharp against the shadow of the socket it is sitting in front of.

There's a lot of good progress happening here. Keep at it.

• ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    Oh man, just saw you painted mah photo! Awesome job man, really dig it.

@BrushwoodMutt Yeah, I was afraid of going too dark pretty much the whole time, so some of my shades ended up lighter than the ref.

@ChicoBlue Thanks man! I'll give this another run this evening, looking at it in the light of day has indeed made it a lot easier to see some of the mistakes.

@Prospicience Thanks, glad you like! I loved the colors and simple shapes and thought it'd be a good one to take a shot at.

What are you doing this in? If it is a digital program because you mention a "pencil tool" then can't you use a separate layer to try and darken it or even to experiment? If you are using a medium like charcoal or pencil you can erase if you feel it is too dark.

It's all digital and you're right, I could pretty much consequence-free have gone totally black and back again. From what I can tell, the paint brush in this program works by sampling the color on the point of the canvas that you're touching (let's say white), then blends it with the color on the brush (lets say black), and the result is varying shades of grey, depending on how hard I push, how transparent the 'paint' is, and what direction the brush is traveling. If I use another layer (brand new layer right on top of everything else), that 'sampling' doesn't happen, and it just goes with the transparency value of the brush, without any of that nice blending of the 'paint' on the canvas underneath it.

I'm not sure if that makes a ton of sense, but the result was that I felt compelled to paint largely on one layer, as what had down on the canvas would affect what I was doing with the brush more directly. It felt better.

If I may ask, what program? If it is PS, I would ask what tool you are referring to?

Lately I've been using Paint Tool SAI. Cheap japanese painting software, but really damn good at looking like real paint. The brush in particular that I'm referring to is the 'flat' brush.

Okay, unfortunately I'm not familiar with that program. But if you can darken things by mixing them with black, are you unable to say change the brush color to white and lighten things that way?

edited April 2015
    Yes, I can do that. And I have! Behold:

Rev 2
    IC1O0dU.png

The first thing that jumps out at me is the angle of the browline. Spoilered a comparison gif. Fresh eyes, man.:
    0WlB3j0.gif

acadia on
    The colors are better but still a bit light. And it looks like you lengthened the nose, which shortened the upper lip. Also the angle of the jaw and neck seems a bit off.

The shading seems pretty accurate to me.

• OllieOllie Registered User regular
    I actually agree with BrushwoodMutt. The shading isn't inaccurate and the study is very good overall, but the darks could be pushed a little further. The difference is so subtle, though, that it might not be visible on some monitors.

edited May 2015
    I think I'm finished with that last one. The rest of what I'd be doing is noodling with value, and I think there's better ways to spend my time.

n1z126ambd3u.png

WIP! Trying to get the likeness, but he's making a weird face so it's hard.

acadia on
    rudd.png 122.9K
    Worked on the face a bit more this morning. Weekends are the best.
    061fuwvo2dqv.png

edited June 2015
    A little more (spoilered because it's too tall -- edit: unspoilered because it's my thread so you get to look at my stupid art):
    0ggix1uhvbsd.png

Then I realized I hadn't gotten my Mom a gift, which makes me a bad son, so I quickly painted me, yawning (spoilered because it's my big dumb face -- edit: face is still dumb but unspoilered anyway).
    ernw1owz1kl2.png

acadia on
    You may want to calibrate your screen a bit. I see splotchy values on the very right that I don't think you are aware of. If you have multiple devices/screens, check your work across them all. I like to try and anticipate both excellent and shitty screens when I'm polishing something off.

acadia wrote: »
    cqf5bnr4npg1.png

Ahahahahahah +1

I've mostly been drawing little comics and stuff, so I figured I'd drop a few pages of stream of consciousness western on y'all. Are these comprehensible?

rqf0reeaa73r.png
    qcvbyjre39ga.png

1.png 568K
    2.png 658.4K
    I was going to say horses dont lay down unless they are sick, but apparently I know jack shit about horses and they lay down for REM sleep.

Personally, I would reign in on the hatching just a little bit so that even if it stays super sketchy, its slightly easier to read. You may want to play with some solid shapes too.

edited June 2015
    WIP late Father's Day gift! My dad used to have a cowboy alter ego, when I was really young, named Black Bart. He'd rob banks dressed as a sheriff, and my brother and I would have to bring him to justice.
    y9efxae39hxq.png

acadia on
    bba.png 506.9K
    2dci2oqvnrgb.png

Yet another face. WIP, please point out shit that's wrong! Ref

I was like "That's Colin Farrell being Einstein, right?" and then I clicked the reference and was quite happy.

Quite well done!

801ouwfghivn.png

So I've just drunkenly halved the canvas in size, saved it, then closed it, and now I've lost my high quality version of this file (at this stage in development -- I have the old version still... hooray), so I think I'm going to put this down. Here's where I got it, I learned a bunch about color doing this, so it was not for naught! Next up, I don't know. A study of some dudes that do color well? Leyendecker?