Options

The [Android] thread - Phones and tablets in all shapes, sizes and desert flavors

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Ever since I setup my S3 (connected to my Exchange work account and to my Personal Gmail account) whenever I get a text it forwards a copy to my Exchange email box (but not my Gmail). How do I disable this?

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Is there an app that will remove files for anything that isn't currently installed?

Trying to clear data for stuff I've already uninstalled is becoming a chore.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    hmm, a factory reset seems like it might have done the trick. need to charge overnight but its defintiel not losing its charge as fast

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I got a N7 for an early christmas gift, and I am loving. So much better than the Gen 1 Ipad I was using. However, I really miss the ability to tap the top of the screen when reading a webpage and have it jump to the top of the page. Does chrome have this?

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Does anyone elses S3 sometimes charge really slowly? I left mine plugged in for around 2 hours and got maybe 30% charge.

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    Does anyone elses S3 sometimes charge really slowly? I left mine plugged in for around 2 hours and got maybe 30% charge.

Mine's pretty slow with the included charger, but not that slow. Are you using USB to your computer or the wall adapter?

工事中
  • Options
    Cokebotle wrote: »

Mine's pretty slow with the included charger, but not that slow. Are you using USB to your computer or the wall adapter?

Wall adapter plugged into a power strip. Sometimes itll charge just fine, other times it takes hours. Im not entirely sure whats up. Sometimes a different charger will work, sometimes a different outlet will work, and sometimes nothing will work. Its mostly a non issue since I tend to charge it while I sleep, but the times I forget to do so and it takes forever suck.

Oddly, my phone was charging quicker with my car charger than it was with my wall charger.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Hey folks, this Nexus 7 is pretty great! I'd like to get set up for streaming movies from a PC to it over the home network. I've got MX player installed on the tablet, but I'm not sure how to go about slinging my files form the home pc to the device. Any tips? Googling has been...difficult.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Throwing media across requires a few things I believe. Note this info may not be 100% accurate but should give you a good base to work with. The servers and receivers need to be DLNA compliant. They also need to be on the same (WiFi?) network and the receiver needs to either natively support whatever media is being sent to it (like if you were throwing a movie onto a tv), or the player you use needs to support the format.

I think MX Player can play DLNA content but can't browse it which might be why you're having trouble. UPnPlayer should be one that's more fully featured, but I haven't personally tried it out myself.

So the basics I think are, installing/setting up a DLNA server on your PC, and installing a DLNA client/app on your tablet to see that content.

Cobell on
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Right now I'm just sharing my Anime folder to the local network, and using ES Filemanager to browse to them. They are launching with MX Player and looking pretty good with H/W+ decoder. Some artifacting on the 10-Bit compression, though...which is odd....

This should suit our needs for now. Just need to make it manageable for my wife to set up when she wants to watch something.

In the future I'll probably throw a network drive on the router...

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I've got some time spare and the OP needs a little overhaul ...

Guys!
    Some of your favorite apps (which are missing)? Going to clean out a few too and leave the games for the Android games thread .. maybe a few of the most popular ones 'to get started'

Alegis on
  • Options
    Alegis wrote: »

Guys!
    Some of your favorite apps (which are missing)? Going to clean out a few too and leave the games for the Android games thread .. maybe a few of the most popular ones 'to get started'

What I've been playing with recently:

Pocket
    Google Currents
    Flipboard
    Beanhunter
    ezPDF Reader
    Flixster
    NovaLauncher
    Photo Grid
    Pixlr-o-matic
    Snapseed
    Shelves
    Quickpic
    XBMC Remote
    ChompSMS
    WidgetLocker (although I had some issues with the latest Samsung update and the Home button skipping the lockscreen entirely...)
    Any.DO
    MoonReader+
    imo.im is also pretty nice for multi-protocol chatting, but Skype kills the battery too fast

工事中
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Do you want free apps only?

• Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    Alegis wrote: »

Guys!

Papermill, Falcon Pro and Press.

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    So the Nexus 7 website says that the official cover is WIfi only... but it's also mentioned as being compatible with the 3G models.

Is the "wifi only" thing out of date, is the compatibility list out of date, or does it block the 3G signal or something?

• Options
    KiTA wrote: »
    So the Nexus 7 website says that the official cover is WIfi only... but it's also mentioned as being compatible with the 3G models.

Is the "wifi only" thing out of date, is the compatibility list out of date, or does it block the 3G signal or something?

Apparently the location of the microphone is different on the 3G version, which is why.

工事中
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    I noticed last night that my Nexus 7 is distorting audio (music, podcasts, video). It's worst at higher volumes, but even low volumes (say, 30%) are distorted a bit. Any quick fixes or workarounds anyone know of? It's actually a replacement for my first Nexus, which developed an issue where the screen was incredibly washed out. I should just call up Google Play support again, but I'm waiting for the original Nexus to get back to them first. Besides, i just now got (almost) everything set up the way I want it and I don't relish doing that again at the moment.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Do you want free apps only?
    Paid is fine!

Alegis on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    - Lightflow Lite [Customize LED alert]
    - Apex Launcher [Launcher]
    - CloudPrint [Print from device]
    - Digital Clock Widget [Clock]
    - Pure Calendar Widget (Agenda) [Calendar, PAID]
    - Steam [App For Bank of Newell]
    - Rings Extended [Define tones for ringer, alarms]
    - TripAdvisor [Travel]
    - TripAdvisor Chicago [Offline travel guide for major cities]
    - Pixlr-o-matic [Photo app]
    - Camera Launcher For Nexus [Launch camera]

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Cokebotle wrote: »

Apparently the location of the microphone is different on the 3G version, which is why.

Find the mic, find where it lines up with the cover, and take a pin or paperclip or something and poke a hole in it. Voila!

It's worth investigating other options to the official N7 case. One was packed in with the N7 I gave my dad for xmas, and it's just a rubber body suit with a flap that covers the screen. The power and volume buttons are also covered with spots shaped to fit them, but they're kind of difficult to press.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So we're kind of toying with the idea of getting my grandmother and tablet as she has really enjoyed her friend's iPad and I was wondering what I should be looking at. I'm not entirely sure what she has been using it for (I assume Web browsing) but she reads a lot and I figure a tablet would make reading easy.

I'm thinking either the Kindle Fire or the Nexus 7, but really I'm pretty blind when it comes to tablets.

The only problem I see with her reading on a tablet is that she gets a lot of books for super cheap (like $0.50 through library sales) and I doubt she's going to get those prices on digital books. I wonder if libraries let you check out digital books.

• Options
    Some do.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Is there a better home screen alternative for a tablet?I like the idea of chameleon but reviews seem mixed on Google play.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    I roll with Apex Launcher erryday on my Nexus 7. Guess it depends what you want out of it.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I've got Chameleon on my Nexus 7, and Apex on my Galaxy Nexus. Apex is very good.

Chameleon has not lived up to promises, with no update in over a month now. They had to release a separate app to keep the calendar working since Google shutdown the API(?) they had been using. It's $3.99 right now, and that seems like a good price for current function. I could add asking for $30k to build what they claimed was ridiculous, but that's neither here nor there.

• Options
    So we're kind of toying with the idea of getting my grandmother and tablet as she has really enjoyed her friend's iPad and I was wondering what I should be looking at. I'm not entirely sure what she has been using it for (I assume Web browsing) but she reads a lot and I figure a tablet would make reading easy.

I'm thinking either the Kindle Fire or the Nexus 7, but really I'm pretty blind when it comes to tablets.

The only problem I see with her reading on a tablet is that she gets a lot of books for super cheap (like $0.50 through library sales) and I doubt she's going to get those prices on digital books. I wonder if libraries let you check out digital books.

Quite a few Libraries do actually. And Amazon's Kindle store (which you can get on through the N7) has cheap books ALL the time. Including quite a few $0.00 ones.

Myself, I've pretty much decided on getting a Kindle Paperwhite for ebooks and a N7 for mobile computing. Probably going to go 3G on both so I can go on vacation with them as needed / use them on the bus+work without worrying about hotspots.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Any rumors about a possible Droid 5? I have a 3 and am nearing the end of my contract. I don't want to get a 4 if there's a 5 on the horizon. Google didn't really turn up anything so I was hoping one of you guys or gals know something.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    are there many well-thought-of GSM phones that have slide out keyboards? The one I'm currently using is a bit of a piece of junk and I want to replace it, but I've gotten pretty attached to the keyboard.

hold your head high soldier, it ain't over yet
    that's why we call it the struggle, you're supposed to sweat
  • Options
    Lord, is it really impossible to get the Nexus 7 3G at a local store? I can find the 7-32gb-Wifi in most places, but the 3G... not so much.

• Options
    Does anyone have a recommendation for an app that will properly handle group texts? The default text app will let me create group texts, but the responses come in as individual messages leaving me lost on the conversation. I've also tried GoSMS and its not much better. Although I'm using the free version.

• Options
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I forgot how much fun it was customizing android phones. Got my droid razr for work and getting it set up the way I like it.

I will say the phone is too thin. I have trouble holding it while typing with two thumbs. Bezel is so narrow I often press buttons I don't mean to.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    So stupid question. I was reading up on Nexus 7 stuff and apparently the Nexus 7 3G doesn't have it's source available, whereas the Nexus 7 Wifi does -- something about the cell modem stuff being off limits to us mere mortals.

Does that mean that I can't customize / root the Nexus 7 3G like I can the Nexus 7 Wifi? Or does that just apply to the 3G stuff?

Apparently a lot of the advanced 3G stuff is disabled (for example, tethering) but XDA has a lot of stuff on ways around that.

• Options
    So stupid question. I was reading up on Nexus 7 stuff and apparently the Nexus 7 3G doesn't have it's source available, whereas the Nexus 7 Wifi does -- something about the cell modem stuff being off limits to us mere mortals.

Does that mean that I can't customize / root the Nexus 7 3G like I can the Nexus 7 Wifi? Or does that just apply to the 3G stuff?

Apparently a lot of the advanced 3G stuff is disabled (for example, tethering) but XDA has a lot of stuff on ways around that.

The threads I'm seeing on XDA seem to suggest that the whole "no source" thing doesn't matter -- there are guides everywhere for rooting and whatnot.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2072732

Anyone know for sure? That is: "Does getting the 3G version limit me from doing anything the Wifi can do using the extended (rooted, custom stuff, etc)?"

• Options
    Neat little app here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.zooper.zwfree

It's used in a lot of those custom home screens.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Thanks! I had been playing with MinimalisticText and UCCW so far, but I hadn't seen this one.
    Screenshot_2013-01-04-09-15-04.png
    The base of the right wing drops down my notifications. The base of the left wing opens my folder of games.
    I'd like to somehow put a battery bar in there to replace the percentage but I haven't found a good one yet that would blend in with the background. UCCW came close, but hadn't gotten the angle and position just right yet.

Nova Launcher
    SimpleText to make the bottom icons
    MinimalisticText to make the clock and battery percentage
    Transparent picture replacing the icons for the hidden shortcuts
    Homescreen is 12x12 to allow for easier positioning and spacing

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Okay, nerds. I have been giving it considerable thought and I feel like I've reached the end of what I feel I can do with my iPhone. I think I'm ready to switch. I'm on Verizon currently and pleased with their service and my contract is up in a few months. I feel like the platform has matured considerably whilst iOS has stagnated and all of my stuff (email, calendars, contacts, voice) is through google anyway

I have a few issues moving forward:
    I want a nexus 4, which lacks a CDMA antenna so my carrier is out
    Also the nexus 4 has no LTE - my 4S doesn't have it either but it is in my area
    I'm not really a big fan of most Android phone form factors - most are too big, etc
    I am of the understanding that Verizon are a bunch of dicks when it comes to Android OS updates
    I don't really want to go to the trouble of rooting and getting custom firmware. I want Android as google made it

So I'm starting to feel like my answer is buy a nexus 4 and jump carriers. But I really like Verizon and their LTE is baller in my area.

So please enlighten me.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    I don't think it's Verizon that is really slowing things down, more the manufacturer's and if they bother updating. i.e. I just got Android 4.1.2 on my Motorola Droid Razr mid-December. For a non-Nexus device and one that's already a bit older, it doesn't seem too bad.

Your best bet in getting new versions is either get the Nexus, or go with a mainstream phone that has a lot of users that will demand the update. Motorola now being a Google company could help get their updates out in a more timely fashion, but no guarantees on that.

If you want to stick to Verizon, you are likely looking at:
    Motorola Droid Razr Maxx HD
    HTC Droid DNA
    Samsung Galaxy SIII

Decent review for the Razr Maxx HD and DNA.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    Verizon is absolutely part of the problem: The Verizon Galaxy Nexus still doesn't have 4.2 and got 4.1 months after the GSM version. Really burns me as the promise of frequent updates were the whole reason I got the Galaxy Nexus instead of, say, the Razr Maxx.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Both of those phones are ugly. I don't want my shit emblazoned with logos, especially carrier logos. Admittedly, iPhones saying 'iPhone' on them is dumb. No shit it's an iPhone.

Argh why can't there be a CDMA/LTE nexus 4?

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
This discussion has been closed.