As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Android] thread - Phones and tablets in all shapes, sizes and desert flavors

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Maybe I'm crazy, but is there a better app that shows battery usage by app? Or some way to see when setCPU is oberxloxking my phone? I'd love to have some sort of graph showing when it overclocked? I feel like I'm asking it to overclock, but have no idea if it's making a difference or draining my battery too much.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So what's the point of the Amazon App store?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Kyougu wrote: »

Amazon wants to make money selling apps, and... I don't understand the question.

admanb on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Can anyone recommend an app or method to track down what is killing my wife's battery life so quickly? She has an LG Optimus through Sprint and seems to do well some days, other times it hardly makes it to lunch time.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Can anyone recommend an app or method to track down what is killing my wife's battery life so quickly? She has an LG Optimus through Sprint and seems to do well some days, other times it hardly makes it to lunch time.
    settings battery usage

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    HTC EVO 3D announced officially. Specs aren't a surprise, I would have preferred a Tegra 2 processor and I'll have to see how much RAM and what kind of battery it's packing, but it's highly likely this will be my next phone, especially since I'll get to stay on Sprint to get it and I love my current EVO.

Sprint is really kicking out the jams lineup wise, whereas maybe two years ago I would have said they have one of the worst. Standard EVO will drop to a more reasonable price point, the Epic 4g, and then you have the Nexus S, EVO 3D coming as well as the Pre 2. Not bad Sprint. Not bad.

Edit: 1730 mAh battery. For reference, the Atrix has a 1930 and the old EVO has a 1500.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I'm using this widget called "Battery info" and it gives me a nice 1x1 battery level widget, which is nice and why I downloaded it, but if you tap the widget, it opens up this neat info screen with current info, voltage, estimated life span, and if you tap the arrow on the right, opens a graph of battery level over time. So if you can narrow down when the battery is being drained quickly, you might be able to figure out what app is causing it.

Also, the purpose of the Amazon AppStore is to give us free apps. Like Angry Birds Rio. :) Supposedly they're going to have a paid app a day be free, and I've downloaded it strictly for that. All the other apps are available in the Market as far as I can tell, so no real point in downloading it for exclusive apps or anything.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    HTC EVO 3D announced officially. Specs aren't a surprise, I would have preferred a Tegra 2 processor and I'll have to see how much RAM and what kind of battery it's packing, but it's highly likely this will be my next phone, especially since I'll get to stay on Sprint to get it and I love my current EVO.

Sprint is really kicking out the jams lineup wise, whereas maybe two years ago I would have said they have one of the worst. Standard EVO will drop to a more reasonable price point, the Epic 4g, and then you have the Nexus S, EVO 3D coming as well as the Pre 2. Not bad Sprint. Not bad.

Edit: 1730 mAh battery. For reference, the Atrix has a 1930 and the old EVO has a 1500.

the snapdragon apparantly has the ability to do asynchronous clocking which in theory should improve battery life over the tegra2
    we'll see how that works out in practice though

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The real benefit to the snapdragon processors is that the guys behind Hulu and Netflix think that it's safe enough to provide streaming on.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It still boggles my mind that they are worried about people pirating movies from streaming a video over an Android device. They know there's this thing called the internet. I know, because they are on it. They should know that anyone could easily download a DVD or BluRay rip of a movie in half the time or same time as it would take to rip a stream of low quality off of their app....

So senseless.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Seriously, I understand not wanting to make it easy for people to pirate, but man, if you wanted to there are much easier ways than over your android phone. Especially since most providers have a secret soft cap on data per month. You're not exactly going to be running a bootleg dvd service using your mobile.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    H*RH*R Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Any thoughts on the Tmo G2x? Well besides the possible TmoPocalypse.

Specs look nice, stock froyo. I really think this could be my next phone, and my first Android phone.

H*R on
    Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    H*R wrote: »

Specs look nice, stock froyo. I really think this could be my next phone, and my first Android phone.
    You realize you won't be able to use 3G on that sucker, right? There's nothing "possible" about AT&T buying T-Mobile; they've gone and done it. And they're $3,000,000,000 sure that it'll go through. :P

gilrain on
  • Options
    H*RH*R Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Actually the G2x had the radio that handles ATT signals. So technically it still should work if the switch go through.

H*R on
    Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    gilrain wrote: »

You realize you won't be able to use 3G on that sucker, right? There's nothing "possible" about AT&T buying T-Mobile; they've gone and done it. And they're $3,000,000,000 sure that it'll go through. :P

It's gonna be real funny if it doesn't go through because of the concessions AT&T made in the event it doesn't.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    so is it possible to root a tmobile phone and install the ATT radio so it picks up their frequencies?

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DedianDedian Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    mts wrote: »
    so is it possible to root a tmobile phone and install the ATT radio so it picks up their frequencies?

It's not like a car FM radio... it's locked in to one frequency (unless, of course, it's built to support more than one)

Dedian on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, it's extremely dependent on the hardware components that the phone was built with. Then, once you pass that hurdle someone has to rewrite some core bits of the firmware so it can access those frequencies. Then, the final hurdle that entirely ensures this will never happen, is that the FCC would have to recertify the existing hardware for use on the new frequencies.

AT&T has a much easier time telling you to go buy a new phone (which they will probably subsidize in some fashion), and the community probably doesn't have enough low-level access to the phone's specifications to do the work themselves.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Woah, so when the merger goes through all the 3G (And whatever T-Mobile's version of 4g) becomes worthless?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Woah, so when the merger goes through all the 3G (And whatever T-Mobile's version of 4g) becomes worthless?

When everything is approved and TMobile's network is absorbed into Ma' Bell Mark II, correct.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Presumably AT&T won't shut T-Mobile's 3G stuff off immediately or anything..but it's AT&T so... :)

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It'll probably be a year or two of transition.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It'll be kinda like when Cingular switched to GSM...there'll be a transition period, a bunch of phones offered for free, and a lot of subsidized phones for T-mo transitioners.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

except there's this, which is pretty awesome if true

http://www.tmonews.com/2011/03/is-the-t-mobile-g2x-quad-band-4g-future-proofed/

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

It's gonna be real funny if it doesn't go through because of the concessions AT&T made in the event it doesn't.

The purchase has been approved by the respective boards, but has yet to pass FCC/DOJ scrutiny. There are a number of vocal opponents to the deal, like this guy: http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2011/03/an-ex-regulators-take-on-at-t-buying-t-mobile/72761/

It'll probably go through, but I rather hope it doesn't.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    aand
    I'm about to get
    my 4th HTC Desire replacement phone
    1st had a pink display
    2nd had a broken dust seal
    3rd had a bright green pixel error
    Wonder what the 4th will have? If the 4th is broken I can get a different piece of equipment by law here, and I will chose another phone should that happen, and I don't think from HTC ...

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    this is starting to get a little bit scary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XfLQk6BBek

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    aand
    I'm about to get
    1st had a pink display
    Wonder what the 4th will have? If the 4th is broken I can get a different piece of equipment by law here, and I will chose another phone should that happen, and I don't think from HTC ...

That really sucks. Especially because HTC makes the greatest phones ever.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    aand
    I'm about to get
    1st had a pink display

That really sucks. Especially because HTC makes the greatest phones ever.

don't get me wrong, I love HTC sense, and the phone is absolutely awesome apart from the battery life that plagues all smrt phones
    But I plan on selling that thing when I'm replacing it down the line, which is why I take better care of it than most of my electronics, and it's still replacement number 4 of their once flagship phone.. does look like they could use better quality management.
    Should number 4 fail too, I'll probably get the Nexus S.. I think

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Question:

I can upgrade now for discount pricing, or I can upgrade in May with New Every Two. Now, the Thunderbolt is out but it doesn't really look THAT different from my Incredible and the area I'm in isn't slated for LTE in the foreseeable future. I like my phone, but I was thinking about upgrading and then giving the Incredible to my husband since he wants a smart phone now.

What I'm asking, is the Thunderbolt worth upgrading to from the Incredible? And if not, is there something slated for around May that will be? Keep in mind I'm going to be staying with Verizon and I am anti iPhone.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    CharlesVICharlesVI Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I have the book now! Howw do i get android 2.2 or better on it? I already auto rooted it

CharlesVI on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Alegis wrote: »

tl;dr for those without youtube access at work?

MrDelish on
  • Options
    CharlesVICharlesVI Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    MrDelish wrote: »

It reads your face and ids you

CharlesVI on
  • Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Alright, I've had it with this AT&T "no sideloading" crap. I'm going to root my captivate. Now I just need to figure out how to do it. Is the search button broken in the forums? I was going to do a search to see if anybody was talking about it in a past android thread and it won't pop up for me at all. So off to google I go.

mare_imbrium on
    v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

A big name, managed app store. I'm assuming that's what they are going to push about it anyways, that apps have to be approved to be on it.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Elin wrote: »
    Question:

I can upgrade now for discount pricing, or I can upgrade in May with New Every Two. Now, the Thunderbolt is out but it doesn't really look THAT different from my Incredible and the area I'm in isn't slated for LTE in the foreseeable future. I like my phone, but I was thinking about upgrading and then giving the Incredible to my husband since he wants a smart phone now.

What I'm asking, is the Thunderbolt worth upgrading to from the Incredible? And if not, is there something slated for around May that will be? Keep in mind I'm going to be staying with Verizon and I am anti iPhone.

If LTE is not available in your area, then I'd wait till May and see if the X-2 or another model releases after you qualify for your New Every Two (your last one, since they stopped doing it). The Incredible is nice, but now phones have dual cores and tons of memory, so I think it'd be worth upgrading and giving the Incredible to your husband.

tl,dr: Wait till May and see what else releases/is on the horizon since LTE isn't available.

Alright, I've had it with this AT&T "no sideloading" crap. I'm going to root my captivate. Now I just need to figure out how to do it. Is the search button broken in the forums? I was going to do a search to see if anybody was talking about it in a past android thread and it won't pop up for me at all. So off to google I go.

Yes, forum search is down. Check out xda-developers or the androidforums for specific root directions. There's probably an auto-root program that'll do all the work for you. The fun part is if you want to get a custom ROM on there (if it's loaded up with AT&T or Samsung software you don't want, I'd seriously consider it). :D

Does the no sideloading lock you out of installing the new Amazon AppStore?

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    CharlesVI wrote: »
    MrDelish wrote: »

It reads your face and ids you

Next it'll be reading your lips.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I really want to get rid of my current basic boring phone and get a Galaxy S

But I don't know if it would be worth waiting for the Galaxy S II which might a) be more expensive and b) not come out here in Australia for who knows how long after the US release.

marty_0001 on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    marty_0001 wrote: »
    I really want to get rid of my current basic boring phone and get a Galaxy S

But I don't know if it would be worth waiting for the Galaxy S II which might a) be more expensive and b) not come out here in Australia for who knows how long after the US release.

Is there usually a long time between US released phones when Australia gets them?

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Aix Weather Widget. Shiny, but annoyed that I can't more than 24 hours worth of forecast from it.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.