As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Shock Doctrine

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    With most things that are horrible, I can just be like "yeah, it's stupid, but I can just ignore it." The Kardashians are a good example of this. They're completely harmless.

I'd LOVE to have that attitude towards Fox News. But the knowledge that they are the sole news source for a significant portion of the American public is just infuriating, and makes it kind of hard to be like "whatever."

I'd been thinking about this a lot, and I'm not even inclined to worry about the political bullshit. At the end of the day, their character assassination against Democrats doesn't really shift the American discourse all that far. I'm really concerned with their bullshit nationalism/isolationism/racism bent.

But this year, instead of eating meat, I gave up reading Fox News for atheist Lent. Really, there's nothing I can do to change what they do by acknowledging them, responding to them, criticizing them, etc. At best, I'm just giving them ad revenue. I don't need to know what kind of bullshit they're perpetrating to disagree with it. What I need to do is talk to the people I know, the people I talk to anyway, about what they think and what they believe, and if it's harmful to other people, regardless of any party affiliation, I need to address that directly. That's the best thing I can do to effect change.

I also dropped reading CNN completely after their earthquake/tsunami coverage.

I don't need to keep re-affirming to myself why they're terrible, and I don't need to know their rhetorical tropes to talk to other people about their personal ideas, even if that shit is an influence on them. It's not worth it to do that to myself. I don't need to give it up for just 40 days. I'm done. I'll laugh at some Daily Show segments if I see a link to them.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Ugh

Libyan operation hampered by confusion and dispute
    The US has showed signs of exasperation with its European partners amid confusion over who will take control of the Libyan operation from America.

President Barack Obama and his senior commanders are eager to hand over command to Europe in a matter of days, either to a Nato-led command or some Nato-style operation headed by France or Britain.

Nato had been due to announce on Monday that it was taking over, but that had to be abandoned because of a dispute between the 28 member countries. Britain and France also appear to be at odds over which state will take the lead.

Nato members met in Brussels on Monday but have so far failed to resolve an impasse compounded by Turkish objections to the intervention force.

Somehow, this is not the least bit surprising.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The biggest bullshit thing about this so far, for the US, is pubs wailing and gnashing their teeth about "but oh man Obama was against the way that Bush invaded Iraq but know he's doing the same thing impeach impeach" when we're actually providing a very small amount of obligated forces under UN charters, with this being one of those rare occasions where the UN actually does something.

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It's too bad when that handover deadline comes, we can't just go "See ya assholes!" and take out toys and go home.

And by toys, I mean sweet, sweet cruise missiles.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    You do know a whole bunch of those missiles weren't launched by us. The UK has a missile sub there.

edit: couple of them, I think

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah I know. But so far, that's all we've fired off.

We could totally leave carrier battle group there, the flight deck covered in sailors sipping pina coladas in lounge chairs.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    We don't need to send a carrier group. The French carrier is already under way, plus we have airbases in Europe within range.

It's the Mediterranean, this is UN/NATO home turf.

Weaver on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Gaddafi tanks shell Misrata, kill children - resident
    Forces loyal to Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi are shelling the rebel-held western city of Misrata and casualties include four children killed when the car they were in was hit, a resident told Reuters on Tuesday.

"The situation here is very bad. Tanks started shelling the town this morning," the resident, called Mohammed, told Reuters by telephone from outside the city's hospital.

"Snipers are taking part in the operation too. A civilian car was destroyed killing four children on board, the oldest is aged 13 years," he said.

JoeUser on
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think Fox News realizes if they show Obama for more than 10 seconds at any given time, they would lose all their racists.

I mean their ratings.

Xehalus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Gaddafi tanks shell Misrata, kill children - resident
    Forces loyal to Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi are shelling the rebel-held western city of Misrata and casualties include four children killed when the car they were in was hit, a resident told Reuters on Tuesday.

"The situation here is very bad. Tanks started shelling the town this morning," the resident, called Mohammed, told Reuters by telephone from outside the city's hospital.

"Snipers are taking part in the operation too. A civilian car was destroyed killing four children on board, the oldest is aged 13 years," he said.

Qadaffi to counter with "I left my pet seeing-eye cat to lap at the morning milk and sniff the eucalyptus leaves when she was hit with zionist aggressor nuclear war missile from Israel"

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Here's are some news sites that have live blogs on what's going on in Libya, for anyone who wants the latest info:

Al Jazeera English

The Guardian

Reuters

JoeUser on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    A US warplane has crash-landed in Libya, a US military spokesman says.

The spokesman, Kenneth Fiddler, told the BBC there was no indication the F-15E Eagle had been brought down by hostile fire.

Both crew members ejected safely after what was believed to be a mechanical failure, US officials say.

The Daily Telegraph newspaper says the plane went down near the rebel stronghold of Benghazi. It follows a third night of allied air strikes.

A US-led coalition has been in action over Libya since Saturday, enforcing a UN resolution to protect civilians from Col Muammar Gaddafi's forces.

But wait, there's more!
    Our correspondent heard one loud explosion nearby and several distant rumbles much further afield. AFP news agency reported that a blast was heard near Col Gaddafi's Bab al-Aziziya compound.

Libyan state television reported that the capital was "under crusader enemy aerial bombardment" and that several sites had been attacked.

crusader

CRUSADER

thatstupidzoominginthing.jpg

Weaver on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    putin made a similar comment too, referencing the crusades

way west of the levant ya fucks

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
  • Options
    DeaconBluesDeaconBlues __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't need to know what kind of bullshit they're perpetrating to disagree with it.

Haha what.

"It doesn't matter what they say I just know it's bullshit."

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Weaver wrote: »
    The biggest bullshit thing about this so far, for the US, is pubs wailing and gnashing their teeth about "but oh man Obama was against the way that Bush invaded Iraq but know he's doing the same thing impeach impeach" when we're actually providing a very small amount of obligated forces under UN charters, with this being one of those rare occasions where the UN actually does something.

It's really more like "Obama made a bunch of noise about how regime change was wrong and being in other countries should have clear and definite goals and look at this shit".

I mean, if he's going to roll in half-cocked the least we could have done was time it BEFORE army forces took back 90% of the country.

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'll respond to your quarter-assed troll bait with some huffpo

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/21/cnn-nic-robertson-fox-news-human-shield_n_838758.html

Weaver on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

It's really more like "Obama made a bunch of noise about how regime change was wrong and being in other countries should have clear and definite goals and look at this shit".

I mean, if he's going to roll in half-cocked the least we could have done was time it BEFORE army forces took back 90% of the country.

Except we aren't the ones changing the regime. We're just trying to make sure the rebels aren't absolutely crushed.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Except we aren't the ones changing the regime. We're just trying to make sure the rebels aren't absolutely crushed.

he's aware of the distinction between an occupation and selective air strikes on an imminent threat to a civilian populace, just fyi

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Would somebody pass around a "beginners guide to the UN" to congress so they can stop freaking the fuck out

Weaver on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    A US warplane has crash-landed in Libya, a US military spokesman says.

The spokesman, Kenneth Fiddler, told the BBC there was no indication the F-15E Eagle had been brought down by hostile fire.

Both crew members ejected safely after what was believed to be a mechanical failure, US officials say.

The Daily Telegraph newspaper says the plane went down near the rebel stronghold of Benghazi. It follows a third night of allied air strikes.

A US-led coalition has been in action over Libya since Saturday, enforcing a UN resolution to protect civilians from Col Muammar Gaddafi's forces.

But wait, there's more!
    Our correspondent heard one loud explosion nearby and several distant rumbles much further afield. AFP news agency reported that a blast was heard near Col Gaddafi's Bab al-Aziziya compound.

Libyan state television reported that the capital was "under crusader enemy aerial bombardment" and that several sites had been attacked.

crusader

CRUSADER

thatstupidzoominginthing.jpg

The rebels have a new tank, maybe?

2uxz144.gif

Solar on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    wrong kind of crusader solar
    gallery_5897_31_49360.jpg

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    wrong kind of crusader solar
    gallery_5897_31_49360.jpg

The wrong kind of Crusader?

That sounds like the kind of thing a filthy hereticus would say

Solar on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    god god god god god god god god god god god

Xehalus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    itt Solar doesn't know about my sworn allegiance to Tzeentch

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    p.s. your corpse emperor smells of febreeze and witch hazel

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    itt Solar doesn't know about my sworn allegiance to Tzeentch

You'll get yours, traitor

Solar on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    if I was gonna swear allegiance to a chaos god, it'd probably be tzeentch. or slaanesh 'cause :winky:

Depressperado on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    if I was gonna swear allegiance to a chaos god, it'd probably be tzeentch. or slaanesh 'cause :winky:

Slaanesh is more likely to turn you into something out of Hellraiser than give you fun sexy times.

Weaver on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't need to know what kind of bullshit they're perpetrating to disagree with it.

Haha what.

"It doesn't matter what they say I just know it's bullshit."

Clearly not what I said, but you know that.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    for the blood god?

Xehalus on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Slaanesh is more likely to turn you into something out of Hellraiser than give you fun sexy times.

yeah but man, I am gonna get all kinds of pleasure out of it.

real pleasure gets boring,

give me some pointy metal shit all in me.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    BerkBerk THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    damn I was just there a couple of weeks ago totally didnt expect this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-12819114

Berk on
    sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    best police hats on Earth

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Fencingsax wrote: »

What a joke - if you think that they're going to leave without making sure he's overthrown or killed - I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    loved the CNN tag about that story

"crashed fighter is in pieces"

no shit?

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Criticism of Gaddafi grows bolder in Libyan capital
    After days of Western air strikes, some people in the Libyan capital felt bold enough on Tuesday to drop their customary praise of leader Muammar Gaddafi for a few moments and say instead they want him gone.

Residents who spoke to Reuters reporters in Tripoli were still too wary to give their names, and switched back to extolling Gaddafi when officials came within earshot.

But their willingness to openly criticise the man who has led the country for four decades was a marked change from the normal pattern, when people have been too frightened of retribution to speak candidly to reporters in the street.

JoeUser on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    http://www.suntimes.com/4436773-417/e-mail-on-interfaith-marriage-gets-st.-charles-man-on-no-fly-list
    He said the agents offered to get him off the list — if he would become an undercover informant at mosques. He refused and said he feels he was being blackmailed.

Weaver on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Criticism of Gaddafi grows bolder in Libyan capital
    After days of Western air strikes, some people in the Libyan capital felt bold enough on Tuesday to drop their customary praise of leader Muammar Gaddafi for a few moments and say instead they want him gone.

Residents who spoke to Reuters reporters in Tripoli were still too wary to give their names, and switched back to extolling Gaddafi when officials came within earshot.

But their willingness to openly criticise the man who has led the country for four decades was a marked change from the normal pattern, when people have been too frightened of retribution to speak candidly to reporters in the street.

Scared Straight: Freedom Edition

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.