As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play Quest for Glory. Thanks to Piotyr for keeping this going!

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What? You didn't buy the x-ray glasses? But you can use them to see a naked chick later!

Those things are expensive

So we will save up our money and then buy them later

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    How did I miss this? This is brilliant.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm curious to see how interacting with Aziza will work in the VGA version.

I thought the game encouraging you to be polite by actually typing things like "Hello" and "Thank you" was really cool.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You can still be polite with her.

Being impolite results in a quick eviction by teleportation.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh sure. I meant in more of a UI way.

Like do you click on yourself with the mouth for those various things? I think that's how it worked in QFG3 at least.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yep, that's the way. It's also how you perform the Thief Sign, in a marked difference from QFG1VGA. In the first game, you either clicked your hand or lockpick on somebody to give them the Sign.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    9/11 jokes? Too soon!
    Actually it's not that soon.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well, thanks to this thread reminding me of this wonderful series, I've added this joke to the new version of Cthulhu Saves the World.

When you examine a certain shelf in Dunwich.
    "You find a statue of a black bird. Looks valuable, but it's actually a fake."

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Well, thanks to this thread reminding me of this wonderful series, I've added this joke to the new version of Cthulhu Saves the World.

When you examine a certain shelf in Dunwich.
    "You find a statue of a black bird. Looks valuable, but it's actually a fake."

Yes!

Is it already up on XLIG?

If I load that game up now, will it auto-update? :D

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The game is already up on XBLIG, but I'm still working on the update. Should go up sometime in April. And yes, after the update has been approved, the game will automatically prompt you to download the new version the next time you try to play the game.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Sweet. I'm in Dunwich right now on my current save, so I'll just fire it up when the patch releases and see if I can find it :)

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    RucioRucio Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I only ever played QF4, so this series is vastly amusing to me. Keep up the excellent work!

Rucio on
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Fighter - Set 9 - The Twisted Streets of Shapeir

We head to pull our hero out of suspended animation, and we...oh...look... How clever.
    capture19032011180128.png

At any rate, we are playing:
    capture19032011180158.png
    capture19032011180344.png
    Welcome to Shapeir, Jethro!

capture19032011180424.png
    Oh wait, that was just the introduction, here let me take care of this...I...hrm do I want to start a new hero?

capture19032011180433.png
    Ah the dashing fighter. I didn't even think he could two-hand a sword. Ever. Even when fighting without a shield he's one handed. I'm confused.

capture19032011180438.png
    So if we start a new fighter, we end up with these stats. Screw that.

capture19032011180445.png
    capture19032011180453.png
    capture19032011180500.png
    We want THESE Stats.

capture19032011180533.png
    You can see that when importing your character in QFG2VGA it gives you the choice of the original text parser, point and click, or a combo. I'm selecting combo for a reason that will be obvious shortly. Also for the purposes of illustrating the REAL game I'm using the original alleyway system.

capture19032011180612.png

qfg2hero.gifMmmmmm Breakfast

capture19032011180637.png

abdulladoo.jpgRasier and Shapeir were sister cities, separated by the sands of the desert. Now it is said that the fountain of Raseir runs no more and that the city's soul has shriveled like a grape in the sun. Arus (the ruler of Rasier) was the kindest of men, quick to hug you and call you brother, but I must admit that he was not very brave.

qfg2hero.gifRasier doesn't sound like a very nice place. I think I'll enjoy the comfort of the Kattas for a while.

capture19032011180823.png

qfg2hero.gifLets wait until we see this so called dancing.

capture19032011180946.png

qfg2hero.gifTa-da!

capture19032011180953.png
    Here's the part why I wanted to use the combo system. You get the option of entering your own questions into the box. Here I'm asking about "moneychanger." (And yes this is an easter egg for the VGA version).

capture19032011180957.png

shameen.jpgFinding her in Shapeir's maze of streets may be difficult without a map of the city. The streetnames may only provide you with a limited means of orientation. Allow me to explain their meanings to you.

Shameen spends some time making you familiar with the words that make up the names of Shapeir's streets.

capture19032011182222.png

qfg2hero.gifAw hell yeah. THIS is a bed!

This room is significantly bigger than your room at the Hero's Tale Inn in Spielburg. The large bed in the center looks comfortable and the interior of the room itself is surprisingly cool, compared to the heat outside.

capture19032011182253.png

qfg2hero.gifI'm going to like you about as much as I liked the daddy centaur, aren't I. Well lemme ask about what you have to sell.

alichica.jpgHow you think you going to finda yourself with no map? I sella you one cheap, only 100 centimes. Special edition today, says-a 'You are here' witha big-a 'X'.

alichica.jpgWith a compass, you always know whicha way you going. How many people you meet know that? I give you a compass. It only costs 100 centimes.

alichica.jpgThis is finest souvenir stand in town. I personally guarantee it. This is also only souvenir stand in town.

qfg2hero.gifGreat! But I need some money that you'll actually accept.

alichica.jpgYou want to find the Moneychanger's, right? No problem boss. Well you go north until you see a way to go left, and you take-a the way. Now you go until you see a way to go right, and you take-a thatta way. You go until you can see a way to go right and you go to the right. Then you go until you can go to the right again. Thatsa right way. Go thatta way until you can turn right. Go right until you come to a place where you can go right again. Turn left. Follow the road and you no can miss it.

qfg2hero.gifHoly Djinns BALLS.

capture19032011182316.png
    Shameen has taught our hero well. We now know the translation of the street names.

capture19032011182443.png

qfg2hero.gifAlready they know I'm a hero. Damn I like this place.

capture19032011182631.png
    Wandering through the streets...Note that there are a CRAPLOAD of street scenes I have left out of here.
    capture19032011182659.png
    capture19032011183218.png
    capture19032011183318.png
    capture19032011183807.png

qfg2hero.gif*pants* You...don't make yourself easy...to find...lady...

capture19032011183825.png
    capture19032011183827.png
    Haarrrrrrrr.

qfg2hero.gifHave anything in the way of information?

capture19032011183915.png

dinarzad.jpgRaseir was once a place where anyone with some brains and skills could make some quick cash. Now that things have changed under the new Emir, only those who toady to the authorities can get ahead. Ferrari is an excellent example of that type of person -- only too willing to kiss and tell. Do not trust him in Rasier unless you are a thief. Even then, watch your backside.

qfg2hero.gifMay I watch yours?

dinarzad.jpgThe old Emir of Raseir was a fool, and fools are easy to deal with. But from all I hear, whoever controls Raseir now is far from a fool.

qfg2hero.gifI've been out of bed less than an hour and I'm already hearing all sorts of bad things about Raseir.

capture19032011184035.png
    Some real cash!

capture19032011184753.png

qfg2hero.gifThanks for the map. You're a real...something.

capture19032011184801.png
    This is how the streets of Shapeir truely appear when you're using the real alleyway system. Note the insane twisty path I had to take to walk to the moneychanger (denoted by the $). The great part is that to get back to her now, all I have to do is click on the green money symbol.

capture19032011184833.png

qfg2hero.gifA compass and a map. I'm set to head off on adventure am I not?

Whew, FINALLY got a post out. This is taking a bit longer but I'm enjoying it more.

I don't know if anyone else even cares, but the completionist in me wants to add the points that I'm getting in the game to the psts and I'll make note whenever I get points. If this gets too annoying for y'all, I can stop, but I thought it would be something else neat to add.

Syphyre on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wait, you can go into the bedroom in the VGA version? You couldn't do that int he EGA version right? Is there a chest in there?

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited March 2011
    You can go into the bedroom but you can't walk around in it in the EGA version; it would just ask you how long you want to rest.

In the VGA version, you can buy a bunch of crap to decorate it and show off how wealthy you are, and it makes an excellent place to pick your nose since you can rest right there. Some characters will get offended at you for picking your nose in front of them and kick you out.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You can go into the bedroom but you can't walk around in it in the EGA version; it would just ask you how long you want to rest.

In the VGA version, you can buy a bunch of crap to decorate it and show off how wealthy you are, and it makes an excellent place to pick your nose since you can rest right there. Some characters will get offended at you for picking your nose in front of them and kick you out.

*Goes to start a new hero in QfG1 to see QfG2 VGA.

Okay why can't I click on any of the special move buttons in the dos box version of vga1? When I open the panel with the sneak/run/ect it closes the moment I move the mouse. I don't want to play the ega version but I will if I have to...

*edit* oop never mind. It works in full screen just not in windowed.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah. It's just extra stuff but I plan to deck out the bedroom and see how it ends up.

Can't wait to see how the room in Raseir looks.

I have to admit, josh, that this is fantastic. You're hitting all the high points and I can just hit the things I feel like hitting. Thanks again for letting me play beside you.

Syphyre on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Oh shit. For laughs I did a file search on my hard drive and I actually found my really old import files from all the games from back when I originally got the anthology. (1996) Somehow the files managed to migrate to my most recent hard drive through years of upgrades. I am now playing my old Wizard who also has thief skills (the best combo) in QfG2VGA. Pretty snazzy. His name is now Harry Dresden.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Syphyre wrote: »
    Yeah. It's just extra stuff but I plan to deck out the bedroom and see how it ends up.

I have to admit, josh, that this is fantastic. You're hitting all the high points and I can just hit the things I feel like hitting. Thanks again for letting me play beside you.

I should be thanking you for cutting my workload in half.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Oh shit. For laughs I did a file search on my hard drive and I actually found my really old import files from all the games from back when I originally got the anthology. (1996) Somehow the files managed to migrate to my most recent hard drive through years of upgrades. I am now playing my old Wizard who also has thief skills (the best combo) in QfG2VGA. Pretty snazzy. His name is now Harry Dresden.

Let me know how you like the combat. I think it's the best out of the whole series because you can't just spam the stab button.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I should be thanking you for cutting my workload in half.

There's something wrong with me. I see euphemisms for jerking off in everything.

"Cutting my workload" is the newest one.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Let me know how you like the combat. I think it's the best out of the whole series because you can't just spam the stab button.

I discovered that if the combat is too overwhelming (and it can be for the fighter) turn on auto-dodge for a short while. That lets you learn how to attack and (for fighter) parry, with the computer doing the dodging. After a while I went the other way. It's training wheels but it helps you learn and now it's that much more enjoyable.

Syphyre on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I will be very curious to see how the remake handles some of the acrobatic stuff you have to do as a thief. I also should take another stab at the remake.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Got a scorpion down! Only took me two poison pills and one stamina pill :P. Honestly not as bad as the brigands though, it's more of an endurance fight. The brigands are bastards sometimes because of their knife throwing.

Syphyre on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm playing through 1 to max the stats before I try VGA 2 I made a Fighter with Thief skills for something different.

Syphyre, how did you beat the Weapon Master? I cannot force him backwards no matter what I do.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited March 2011
    I had to look it up myself. You need to drop everything but your shield and sword on the ground (you can re-pick it up on the same screen). Armor, heavy potions, etc. Why? Because your weight of all things matters. Lower your weight and just keep attacking attacking attacking.

Syphyre on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yes! That worked! It was a hard battle since I didn't drop my money. I've now finished 1 and imported my Fighter/Thief into VGAII. I tried going out to obtain money to buy a map before going to the money changer but I have no idea how the combat stuff worked so I gave up and started towards the fountain. Made it to the first intersection when my favorite Easter egg of all time occurred.

screen00.jpg

Sorry for the crappy photo. I'm not sure how you guys are taking screen shots so this is just with the in game screenshot taker. (which I only noticed when I was trying to figure out combat)

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, that one was in the old EGA version too :)

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Awww, I haven't seen that one yet. That is a funny easter egg in the game. :)

Syphyre on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Is that the Doctor?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    BehumatBehumat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I beleive its Harpo Marx of the Marx brothers. The one who never speaks in the movies.

Behumat on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Oh, you mean the funniest one?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

august on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Oh wait, I guess it's Zeppo who is the funniest.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Update from my end: Have two sets of pics ready to upload (which span the rest of day 1, good grief), just need to put in the time to get 'em done.

Syphyre on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Things will go much faster once the whole city has been explored.

Tuesday will probably be my next update.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah exactly. I'm taking the time to stop and smell the roses too, asking everyone everything I can, etc. And actually reading the responses. Not to mention just playing around with the combat system.

Syphyre on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah exactly. I'm taking the time to stop and smell the roses too, asking everyone everything I can, etc. And actually reading the responses. Not to mention just playing around with the combat system.

I'm doing the same. I managed to figure out the basics of the combat system and have defeated two brigands. I found that if a fighter jumps back out of range of an attack and then leaps forward they sometimes do a leaping lunge that knocks the opponent back. Also you can swing and then immediately stab for a one-two hit.

What's more it has been so long since I’ve played II that I have forgotten the best method of leveling skills. In addition I spelled Keapon Laffin wrong when I went to see Aziza and she won’t let me in. :(

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Don't forget to buy
    X-Ray Glasses

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Also you can swing and then immediately stab for a one-two hit.

The fighter has a one-two-three hit, actually. Swing, stab, swing. Thief and mage only get the one-two.

joshofalltrades on