As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Play Quest for Glory. Thanks to Piotyr for keeping this going!

• MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's also the VGA remake and not the EGA original.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mordrack wrote: »

Hey, noticing your sig. Were you involved with making QFG2VGA?

joshofalltrades on
  • MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mordrack wrote: »

Hey, noticing your sig. Were you involved with making QFG2VGA?
    Nope. Just a fan of their work.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    your screenshots are too small; make them larger

you need to cut off the black bar at the top of your screenshots

don't center your text and screenshots, it's weird to read. left align

ed: oh yeah and don't have any screenshots with your mouse button in them. big sslp no-no

Rent on
    edited March 2011
    Also in general you want the op of your thread to answer these three questions for any potential reader

1) what sort of lp will this be?

2) how frequently are updates going to be?

3) how long will updates be (in minutes)?

also this is just a suggestion but most sslper's i've seen include the first update in the first post so potential readers can see if they like the lp or not without having to scroll down/find an update

but w/e

Rent on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rent wrote: »
    your screenshots are too small; make them larger

you need to cut off the black bar at the top of your screenshots

don't center your text and screenshots, it's weird to read. left align

ed: oh yeah and don't have any screenshots with your mouse button in them. big sslp no-no

I can make them larger if that is what people want

I figured they were big enough; they're bigger than what Skut was using during his Clock Tower LP

Agreed on the centering after a third look

And the black bars are part of the game duder. That's where the interaction icons are located and the score is kept. Can't cut it out.

Oh and I'm generally doing things with the mouse cursor while screenshots are being taken. It's a totally mouse-driven game. Can't get rid of that either. Sorry brosef

joshofalltrades on
    edited March 2011

And the black bars are part of the game duder. That's where the interaction icons are located and the score is kept. Can't cut it out.

Oh and I'm generally doing things with the mouse cursor while screenshots are being taken. It's a totally mouse-driven game. Can't get rid of that either. Sorry brosef

read

Rent on
    edited March 2011
    Yeah but I want people to see the arbitrary score go up as we do things. So that's definitely staying in.

The cursor... I guess if it's a huge deal I can try that program and see if it even works with DOSBox. These old games work differently than the brand new stuff.

joshofalltrades on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think the screen shot size is fine. They're readable and you can see what's going on in them.

SkutSkut on
    edited March 2011
    Ehhhh I'll make them a little bigger. I have my screen resolution set really low because this thing runs in windowed DOSBox mode (otherwise fullscreen stretches it way out), and so I didn't realize how small they look at highres before.

joshofalltrades on
    edited March 2011
    yeah i'm running a 1200 x 768 monitor and can barely read them

please increase size

Rent on
    edited March 2011
    1 more update with small size since I already did them that way. Then it'll go up, promise.

joshofalltrades on
    edited March 2011
    your text amuses me but it's kind of in an eye watering yellow, you should be using more color complimentary colors for your narration and dialogue like red and pink so....oh....right

you also might want to find a small head screenshot of the hero and use that before you write any dialogue for him to say, so it's easier to tell who's saying what

in that same vein you might want to grab little head screenshots of other npcs so you don't have to show every screenshot of dialogue, if the dialogue takes up longer than a screen. this can cut down on your number of pics per update and make it less cluttered looking

Rent on
    edited March 2011
    Good call on that.

I knew I asked for all of the criticisms for a reason

I picked yellow because yeah it's something I can see and Hamburglar's hair is yellow, making it easy to identify as coming from him.

I'll start transcribing dialog from now on so I don't have multiple screens of the same thing.

joshofalltrades on
    edited July 2011
    Set 3 -- Buttsucking brigands
    scidhuv138.png

Just north of the Dryad is the Fairy ring, where we can pick mushrooms (remember, the Healer pays for them, but they have to be fresh).

scidhuv140.png

This is a neat little trick that will let you know if a monster is about to appear on the same screen as you. If you pull up the menu and the "rest" icon is grayed out, get ready to fight or flee.

scidhuv143.png

In this case, a goblin crept up on us.

scidhuv144.png

Ohh shi- look at that damn stamina bar! We can't possibly survive this fight, but let's try anyway! TIGER BLOOD!

scidhuv145.png

Yeah how do you like a knife in your throat? There's some more where that came from! You want some--

scidhuv152.png

Son of a bitch. Easiest monster in the game and we're dead.

Well, I could have run away. But I did this to illustrate a point. Stamina is just as important in a fight as health is. You need to make certain you can last long enough to fight until they're dead, and take into account the fact that monsters dodge and block just like you can. You'll waste stamina while you wail away at their shields.

scidhuv155.png

After loading the game, we head as far west as possible.

scidhuv157.png

Hey, it's the meeps! They're furry little stick-legged creatures that live under the ground.

scidhuv160.png

After saying hello, they start chattering and this green meep, who is apparently their leader pops out.

scidhuv161.png

"Hey, like, fur is good stuff, keeps us warm. Mine's the best -- it's like, green, you know? Oh, you want some green fur? I think I have some somewhere."

He rips the fur right out of his head and leaves it on the ground.

scidhuv165.png

All right, that's two ingredients down for the dispel potion.

I could have sworn I captured it but apparently not. The meep also threw a spell scroll at us, and now we have the "detect magic" spell. It's useful in very few puzzle-specific places, but doesn't have the general utility of a fireball, open, dazzle, etc. So if you cast it when a wizard is about to blow you up, it will tell you that you detect that you are about to die from magic. That kind of thing. It also tells you about hidden wizard caches, and that sort of stuff.

scidhuv166.png

This is the goblin hideout. When you come to this screen, you will fight 1 goblin your first time and 1 additonal goblin every consecutive visit, to a grand total of 8 or 9 of them.

scidhuv167.png
    scidhuv168.png
    scidhuv169.png
    scidhuv170.png

We're not going to die this time.

scidhuv171.png
    scidhuv172.png

Stabbed him right in the face!

scidhuv178.png

We take a well-deserved bow after a nice hard face-stabbin'.

scidhuv179.png

We sure did. Let's rifle through his pockets for loose change. We are a thief, after all.

scidhuv180.png

Yes! 5 silvers! Now we have exactly the same amount of money we had before we bought 50 apples, which we still carry through the forest with us!

scidhuv181.png

A quick glance at our character sheet shows that we have improved in several key thiefy areas, particularly stealth, climbing and agility. Progress!

We head directly north of the goblin combat training zone (or GCTZ for short).

scidhuv182.png

A hut... with chicken feet.

scidhuv183.png

They call me Captain Obvious... because I say things that are obvious.

scidhuv184.png

"Baba Yaga is one tough magic user. If you're so stupid that you want to enter, perhaps we can make a deal. All the other skulls have glowing eyes. But me?..... noooooo! I don't need lovely glowing eyes! Just open and close the gate, that's all I'm good for. But if you can give me a glowing gem for my eyes, then I'll let you in the gate."

Sure why not. (It isn't like he will hunt me down if I can't find a gem anyway...)

"All I ask for is a little gem or jewel that glows in the dark. You're the big hero, so go find one."

Yes sir :?

So we head away from the big scary hut chicken and the demanding skull and go north and east past the seed-spitting flowers.

scidhuv191.png
    scidhuv192.png
    scidhuv193.png

And we come upon Erana's Peace!

This place is the shit. Free food that fills you up for the whole day on the tree, we'll be able to get a spell later once we have a bit more magic, and sleeping here totally revitalizes and heals us. Plus you get points for sleeping here at least one night; to be honest, I only pay for the inn in town one night, because it's crap compared to Erana's Peace.

scidhuv194.png

The healer pays for flowers from here, so we grab some.

scidhuv195.png
    scidhuv196.png

And gorge ourselves on some fruit.

munch munch slurrrrrrrp munch

scidhuv198.png

This is a good chance to cast our one spell and see if we can detect any magic in this obviously magical place.

scidhuv199.png

So, like I said, nothing we didn't already know just by looking around.

scidhuv197.png

Holy squirrel-cage, Batman! It's getting late on our first day! Time to go to sleep!

scidhuv200.png

We can sleep all night in Erana's garden, but anywhere else out in the woods and you get devoured by unnatural things.

scidhuv204.png

scidhuv208.png

We wake up the next day and start our trek back through the forest.

scidhuv210.png

Wait a minute. Oh my.

scidhuv212.png

Well shit

This is a brigand. They basically keep their shields up for the entire battle and wear you down until you have no stamina left. The only way to beat them is to have great Weapon Use and Dodge. Dodge their spears and stab them in the throat while they're exposed, and press the attack before they get their shields back up.

We uh...

We don't have great Weapon Use or Dodge.

scidhuv213.png

Son of a

scidhuv215.png
    scidhuv216.png

God dammit

scidhuv221.png

Jesus Christ come out and fight me you total pussy

scidhuv226.png

Oh fuck you you buttsucking brigand!

scidhuv231.png

We run away.

joshofalltrades on
  • ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Not a grammar nazi, just alt-write. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Is there any way to buy this game online? It's been a decade but seeing the LP makes me want to break out my own game and follow along. Alas, my 3.5" floppy copy is long since gone.

ResIpsaLoquitur on
    League of Legends: MichaelDominick; Blizzard(NA): MichaelD#11402; Steam ID: MichaelDominick
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Is there any way to buy this game online? It's been a decade but seeing the LP makes me want to break out my own game and follow along. Alas, my 3.5" floppy copy is long since gone.

Nope. Out of all the re-released Sierra "Quest" compiliations, this is the only one they didn't do, and isn't on GOG or anything. Very odd.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    Had to go to sleep last night, and I've got classes today, but you can probably expect at least one update today

joshofalltrades on
    edited March 2011
    Also Rent, even that program you gave me doesn't remove the mouse cursor from the game. It's DOS, so the cursor works differently than windows.

And before you ask, yes, I tested it on a windows game and it works fine. It's just DOSBox that it handles differently.

joshofalltrades on
    edited July 2011
    Set 4 - Let's try to suck at fighting things a little less
    qfg11032011113543.png

Well we successfully ran away from the brigand and back to the healer's house. Let's dump some of these ingredients for the dispel potion the dryad was nice enough to give us a recipe for.

qfg11032011113606.png

We give her a bunch of the ingredients and she blathers on about how interesting it must have been to obtain them.

Yeah, I guess with your case of jaundice it must be tough to get out much.

She also pays us for the flowers and mushrooms we gathered for her, and tells us what we have left to get for the potion: Fairy Dust and Flying Water.

qfg11032011113652.png

Back outside, it's time to practice throwing. Even though we already climbed the tree and got the ring out of the nest, it still makes good throwing practice to knock that damn lizard-bird thing's nest down. Serves it right for stealing things before we could get them.

We start by picking up rocks until we get this message saying we're overburdened.

qfg11032011113703.png

Then we chuck rocks at the nest for a while.

qfg11032011113708.png

Eventually we lose enough weight and we're not taking massive stamina hits every time we perform an action.

qfg11032011113732.png

And the nest is down. Our Throwing practice is at an end. (NOTE: I may do more practice stuff like this, but unless it's hugely important or interesting I'll skim over it or make a little mention that I practiced X for a while)

qfg11032011113834.png

We went back to the town gate and went as far to the east as we could, and hit this frosty dead end.

qfg11032011113838.png

But there is a purpose for this! Upon our return, we spy a fox on the side of the road.

Sucks to be you! That thing is right there in the open. You must be really dumb to have walked right into it.

qfg11032011113842.png

Apparently the fox doesn't know that we are, in fact, kind of a douchebag and only a "Hero" in the technical sense of the word. After all, being a Hero is the best camouflage for somebody of our proclivities.

qfg11032011113846.png

But ehhhh, he caught us on a good day.

Everybody gets one.

qfg11032011113850.png

"As for the amusing tidbit... Baba Yaga put an enchantment on the Baron's daughter some years back. To break the spell you need to talk to the Dryad. Au Revoir, ta-ta for now, be seeing you."

The only information we got out of this that we didn't already know is that the Baron's daughter is who we'll be disenchanting with our Dispel potion. Good to know.

qfg11032011113923.png

Exploring a bit more, we find this waterfall and a cave door up on a ledge.

qfg11032011113936.png

We have monkeys in our genealogy, so we may as well climb up.

qfg11032011113938.png

qfg11032011113940.png

The fact is, these cliffs do have a ladder on them. An invisible one. We need the Trigger spell to see it, and we're about to obtain that magic.

qfg11032011113944.png

:whistle: On the ceiling if you waaaant meeeeee :whistle:
    :whistle: Twice on the pipe, if the answer is nooooo :whistle:

qfg11032011113945.png

qfg11032011113950.png

AAAHHHHHmmmppffff

Well, I fucked up and accidentally moved too far, sending us hurtling into the ground. Luckily we're only hurt a little bit. You've got to move away from the door before he opens it, or you'll get a stone door in your teeth and you'll eat dirt when you get knocked off.

qfg11032011113955.png

The hermit is a dick and doesn't even bother to look down.

qfg11032011114016.png

Didn't make the same mistake again this time.

qfg11032011114020.png

"I'm 'Enry the 'Ermit, that's me. Me farther was an 'ermit and me murther was an 'ermit so's I come by me job rightly. Don't have too many visitors. 'Ermits don't, you know. (Part o' the job description.) I likes to see a new face, though. Good to 'ear anurther's speaking besides meself. Sos wot can I do for you?"

The hermit never shuts up. Seriously there are pages and pages of 'ermit dialog and none of it's particularly interesting. I'll include it if you guys want to be assholes and make me transcribe all of his dialog. For now, the only thing that's important to know is that he's friends with the wizard, Erasmus, who lives far to the north. He also gives us a Trigger scroll by summoning it with the Trigger spell (which came first, the scroll or the spell?) Finally, this is a safe place to spend the night, but you have to feed 'Enry and play cribbage with him, making it less than ideal except in case of emergency. Actually, you know what, fuck that. I never sleep here, even if I'm all the way over on this side of the map, it's the middle of the night, I'm out of potions and down to my last hit point. I'd rather save my game and hoof it to Erana's Peace and hope I don't encounter any monsters on the way.

qfg11032011114240.png

Back outside, I down one of the healing potions we got as a reward for returning the Healer's ring, since we're still picking sediment out of our nose...

qfg11032011114247.png

...and fill the empty flask with water from the falls (Flying Water).

qfg11032011114318.png

Around the area we found the fox is this creepy-looking cave

qfg11032011114320.png

omigodomigod please don't kill me please don't kill me

qfg11032011114322.png

"My name it is known
    in the Northlands as Brauggi
    Barter with blade's clash
    or bargain with me.

Find me some fruit
    for to mellow my mead horn
    Gift I will give
    of a gem that now glows--

Jewel from Jotunheim,
    flare of the frost flame
    Fetch to me fruit that will
    fill up my fists!

qfg11032011114341.png

Heyyyyyy, we need a glowing gem! And we just so happen to have this fruit cart with us...

"Fruit you have found
    to fill all my food stores
    Thus filled the bargain
    my gem you have bought

Brauggi has bartered
    And all has been answered
    The mead it may mellow
    And now I head home."

You can try to fight Brauggi but he pretty much instantly murders you before your weapon is even out. Bartering with him is your only option, even for Fighter characters.

qfg11032011114355.png

Okay, we've got other things to do now.

qfg11032011114502.png

Fuck you, you raking bastard

qfg11032011114515.png

Hey, it's a wild saurus! These things are a little tougher than goblins, but not much.

qfg11032011114521.png

Hey! Don't act bored at me! There's no way whatever's over there is nearly as interesting as me stabbing the shit out of you!

qfg11032011114557.png

Hell yeah! Send me something other than brigands and there's a slight chance I'll be able to kick their ass!

qfg11032011114617.png

Aaaaaand that's why fighting sauruses (saurusessssess? sauri?) is a bit of a waste of time.

We fight another random goblin in the woods as well, and get 5 silver off his corpse.

Then we head back to the GCTZ...

qfg11032011114712.png

I'd tell you what I'd do. Two goblins at the same time.

We wreck their shit, and take their money.

qfg11032011114734.png

One of them has none, but the other has 4 silvers that belong to us now.

Combat practice! Maybe soon we'll be able to fight something a bit more fearsome.

joshofalltrades on
  • SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am loving this, I completely intend to read this all the way through.

Sceptre on
    edited March 2011
    The new bigger shots do look better too, I have to say.

SkutSkut on
    edited March 2011
    yayyyy people are actually reading this

Next update we actually get to do some stealing. Brace yourselves!

joshofalltrades on
  • SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yay, a QFG LP. My favorite freaking game series of all time. I used to be a junky I've gone through the first four with 3 classes (fighter->paladin), never did do the fifth one as anything but a Paladin though...

I shall be noting your progress...

Edit: Oh! And don't skimp on the puns. That's part of the awesomeness of the entire series.

Syphyre on
    edited August 2011
    Set 5 - A True Hero robs old ladies
    qfg11032011114808.png

Well, we took an hour rest after killing the crap out of those goblins. Mid-afternoon is pretty much the "wrap everything up, it's almost night" time of day. Thing is, there are things that you can only accomplish at night. And we're going to go do some of those, just as soon as it gets dark. In the meantime, let's find a way to kill some time.

qfg11032011114817.png

Stealth has been steadily increasing this whole time I've been sneaking around. This message is popping up more and more lately.

qfg11032011114850.png

Into the Dry Goods store. What are Wet Goods? The bar?

qfg11032011114851.png

AHEEMMMMM

I suppose I shall be taking my business elsewhere

qfg11032011114855.png

shopkeep.png"I do try to stock some things adventurers can use. I actually would rather be an adventurer than a shopkeeper, you see."

You don't say.

My, Harry Potter has really let himself go.

shopkeep.png"My items are pretty ordinary, though. You probably already have most of them if you've done any adventuring at all."

You... don't know how to haggle, do you?

qfg11032011114915.png

We buy 5 extra daggers, because throwing rocks at monsters is just not as awesome.

qfg11032011114948.png

We exit the shop and head west, where the butcher and baker shops are. Both places are closed, and have been for a long time. The doors stay barred and we won't be able to break in to either location.

Heading into the alleyway.

qfg11032011114946.png

Ugh, I hate poor people.

Oh shit, we're poor. We only have a few silvers to our name. We really ought to change that by tomorrow.

I hate poor people so much that I will give you some of my silver so that you won't be quite as poor anymore. But it's not because I like you or anything. We're not bros now. You can't come over to my place later.

qfg11032011114954.png

Ugh look guy, just because I gave you some cash for your booze stash doesn't mean I want to hear your life story. You grew up and went to college, and you started out as a psychology major until you figured out you could make more money by begging. I've seen it a million times before.

beggar.png"This used to be such a nice place to live. My advice to you is not to take up begging. It just doesn't pay. And don't go out at night."

I don't even know where to start with that, but I'll try anyway. First of all, I doubt very much that this was ever a nice place to live. Second, I wasn't planning on being a poor smelly person like you, so that advice is worth less than the shit that's in your drawers right now. Third, it apparently does pay since you now have more money due to your begging me. Finally, I will go outside at night whenever I please, you're not the boss of me.

beggar.png"I remember when people used to stroll around town after dark. There's a spell on Spielburg so that it glows at night. Now the only people out late are the thieves."

Whoa whoa whoa, back up there fella. That's more what I had in mind for my dough, Joe.

So it turns out that the whole city is under a spell that makes people feel less aggressive while inside. Erana, a powerful Wizard, did this a long time ago. The only person this doesn't affect is Crusher, a goon inside the bar; also, the spell missed the alleyway we're currently in. So we'll need to come back here at night to meet the thieves.

Into the bar.

qfg11032011115040.png

Well, there's the butcher and baker. Crusher over there is guarding what appears to be a trap door in the floor, and there's a note hidden underneath that barstool. Looks like this is where most people spend their time in Spielburg.

We pick up the note.

qfg11032011115051.png

"B", eh? I guess the Men In Black are interested in Spielburg as well. That's the only thing that makes sense to me, anyway.

Let's go have a chat with Crusher.

qfg11032011115116.png

We got a list of incorrect password answers to give him and he doesn't seem to accept any of them. Guess we'll need an "in" to get to the local Thieves Guild.

qfg11032011115125.png

Well let's not make this trip a total waste. Time to belly on up to the bar and get some alcohol.

qfg11032011115128.png
    qfg11032011115135.png

Don't give me any of that sissy stuff! I am a

FUCKIN

HERO

Give me some god damn Dragon's Breath, ser

barkeep.png"If you want a mug of Dragon's Breath, house rules say it'll have to be cash up front!"

Psssssshhhhh what do you take me for, a thief? Fine. Have some money.

barkeep.png"Thanks, buddy! Hey, Crusher, our friend here wants Dragon's Breath!"

qfg11032011115152.png

barkeep.png"There ya go!"

qfg11032011115158.png

qfg11032011115159.png

qfg11032011115201.png

qfg11032011115207.png

Ahhh, another crazy Sierra death.

Loaded the game, going to the Magic Shop.

qfg11032011115312.png

qfg11032011115319.png

qfg11032011115320.png

qfg11032011115322.png

qfg11032011115335.png

We buy the Open spell, which is pretty much all we can afford right now. The only reason you would ever buy potions from here is if you'd gotten the Healer pissed off at you for stealing her stuff. Even then, you still need her for the Dispel potion, and having somebody around who knows you're a Thief isn't very professional, so I never steal from her.

Well, night time is coming, and we need to practice lockpicking. How is this best accomplished? Oh, I know!

qfg11032011115405.png

qfg11032011115406.png

Dead again. Drat.

Well, as long as we're here, we may as well check out the Katta's Tail Inn.

qfg11032011115424.png

(Oh god. It's a furry. I've heard about this but... I had no idea people actually did this except on the Internet. Just pretend to be cool with it... and get out the first chance I get.)

qfg11032011115437.png

(Oh no, not more "woe is me" bullshit. What is this guy's story?)

qfg11032011115443.png

(Shit! Oh shit. They're multiplying! This must be a "den" or whatever they're calling furry hangout places!)

These are the katta, Shema and Shameen. They're cat-people from the land of Shapeir. We'll be going there for the second game. Abdulla Doo is the poor bastard who had all his stuff stolen by the brigands. There's a lot of text here, but the gist of it is that the brigand warlock cast a spell on him while the brigands took his worldly possessions (including his magic carpet), and now he mooches off the furries. There's nothing to steal from the inn, so we order a drink on a pretense and get out of here.

qfg11032011115712.png

All right, close to nighttime now. We kill a goblin (6 silver) and some time, and head back to the city gates.

qfg11032011115922.png

Well, hm. They closed the gate on us. Have no fear! We can climb sheer surfaces now thanks to all of the practice Hamburglar has been getting.

qfg11032011115935.png

qfg11032011115942.png

All right, start small. The old lady's house is just begging to be robbed. That eye won't tell anybody what it sees, I hope.

qfg11032011115950.png

Picked the lock on our first try. Damn, we're good.

qfg11032011115954.png

qfg11032011120002.png

All right, here we are. Let us acquire some belongings that previously were the belongings of others!

qfg11032011120007.png

No soiled hankies? :(

qfg11032011120010.png

No knitting? :(

qfg11032011120016.png

A silver saved...

qfg11032011120019.png

Is some silver earned.

qfg11032011120023.png

Oops! Almost forgot to check the sofa. People always leave money in the sofa.

qfg11032011120036.png

See?

qfg11032011120041.png

And we finish by petting the pretty kitty. Because if you hang around long enough without petting him... well, I'll save and show you what happens when he gets alarmed.

qfg11032011120053.png
    qfg11032011120054.png
    qfg11032011120056.png
    qfg11032011120058.png
    qfg11032011120100.png
    qfg11032011120101.png
    qfg11032011120105.png
    qfg11032011120106.png
    qfg11032011120107.png
    qfg11032011120111.png

qfg11032011120122.png

All right! Our first house robbery is a success! We didn't find much in the way of loose silver, but we did get some expensive items that could be sold, if we had a fence.

Which we soon will.

joshofalltrades on
    edited March 2011
    Curious, are you planning to go for a maximum points score? Also do you plan on grinding all your skills to max? (at least skills, not the damn spells)

Also, this has got me wanting to pull out my discs and play the game again. Would a Fighter-version of these games in an LP be interesting to anyone here since josh is doing most of the magic/thiefy stuff? (It's a bit more boring for an LP in general but it would be completionary and complementary

Syphyre on
    edited March 2011
    Nah, I'm not going to obsess over the score or grinding. I mean, there's usually more than enough time to max out the important stuff. But Sierra games are a little crazy about what's required to get the max score and I'm not looking at a game guide or anything.

joshofalltrades on
    edited March 2011
    That's a good call, it would probably drive you crazy. As it is just popping up and reading through the dialogue is great.

Syphyre on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Always make sure to pet the kitty.

I initially thought you were doing it for fun.

I was like O_o

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited March 2011
    You actually get points for petting the kitty, but if you're fast and get out of there quick he won't kill you

joshofalltrades on
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ah, one of my favorite games from my high school years.

Good on you to make this LP! I would vote in favor for the Fighter -> Paladin addon if you're willing, Syphyre. I finished most of the game series with a Fighter -> Paladin/Mage/Thief mix. (Even got a 400/400 in QFG4, without a hint guide - loved that game!)

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You actually get points for petting the kitty, but if you're fast and get out of there quick he won't kill you

I didn't know about petting him. I always just stole all her crap quickly and got out of there.

CygnusZ on
    edited March 2011
    QFG4 is, without a doubt, my favorite of this series.

joshofalltrades on
    edited March 2011
    I may or may not update today, but I'm going to say there's a 65% chance of it. If it doesn't happen today, it will 100% happen tomorrow.

I'm trying to update this reliably. This is the sort of game where even little updates are big. At first I thought I'd try 1 Day = 1 Set, but you can just get way too much done in a single QFG day.

joshofalltrades on
    edited March 2011
    It's cool, expecting to update every day is a fools errand unless the game is really short.

SkutSkut on
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, it's not just that this is going to be a long LP, it's also that it's really complex. There's so much that I could forget to mention just because I have played through so many times. For example, normally when I play through now I don't even go into the Inn. Anything I could purchase there is more easily and cheaply obtained at Erana's Peace. So I'm having to force myself to pretend it's a first playthrough, or at the end, when we go to Shapeir with the katta and Abdulla Doo, people are going to be like "wtf is going on with the furries and the magic carpet shit".

joshofalltrades on
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, it'll be hard to hit up everything. And just think, QFG1 is the simplest of them all!.
    Actually QFG2 will be a nice break since the day structure makes it more linear.
    I do concur though, QFG4 is the best of them all, music, plot, and puns. (so the battle system sucks a bit...oh well).
    I feel sorry for your thief when he hits QFG3 though...you know I almost think you should shift to magic user track for QFG3 (magic duel(s)!) and then back to thief for QFG4.

Syphyre on
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Syphyre wrote: »
    Yeah, it'll be hard to hit up everything. And just think, QFG1 is the simplest of them all!.
    Actually QFG2 will be a nice break since the day structure makes it more linear.
    I do concur though, QFG4 is the best of them all, music, plot, and puns. (so the battle system sucks a bit...oh well).
    I feel sorry for your thief when he hits QFG3 though...you know I almost think you should shift to magic user track for QFG3 (magic duel(s)!) and then back to thief for QFG4.

Yeah, having to select a class at the start of QFG3 for my imported Fighter/Thief from the first two games was a huge bummer. I never completed that game because it annoyed me so badly.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    So!
    joshofalltrades has kindly consented to let me play through the series along with him, taking the Fighter/Paladin path and posting screenies. I'm not going to screenshot everything as he is doing, I'm just going to hit up things that are specific to fighters, and hope that it makes sense in the context of having seen josh's work. I may hit something general from time to time, but this is josh's thread, not mine. Fighter is merely a sidebar.

With that said, lets see if I can have this figured out in the next day or two.

Syphyre on
    edited March 2011
    Syphyre, check out the Let's Play thread. Lots of good suggestions on how to get screenshots done right in there. Also, Rent linked a program in this thread that's great for taking screenshots so you don't have to Prt Scrn and paste every time.

I'll be putting Syphyre's Fighter sidebar in the OP as well, so everything is really easy to find. So now there's really not much we'll be missing out on over the course of the series; I'm covering the Thief and most of the Magic User, and Syphyre has got Fighter/Paladin.

Oh, and if I somehow miss one of his updates, feel free to PM me so I know to update the OP.

joshofalltrades on