As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play Quest for Glory. Thanks to Piotyr for keeping this going!

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm having a lotta fun reading through your LP portions. Tell you what though, I'm having a blast helping out with this LP (assuming people are even reading my crap.)

Think it would be a problem if I started throwing in a few more random jokes/puns stuff I notice from around the game?

Syphyre on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Go ahead. It's more than enough work for me to just make sure all the main story and sidequest bits get in there. It's nice to have your section there for people who want to stop and smell the roses.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I do know this much. This LP is going to be a hell of a lot longer than the first one.

Syphyre on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Your LP's of IWBTG and VVVVVV are great and all, but I find them difficult to follow as there really isn't a story.

This is like your reaching into my soul, and pulling out my childhood.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Syphyre, I'm going to be using portraits and another Hero cutout for dialog in this one. Feel free to link to the ones I upload. I'm keeping documentation on the links in a text file so that I don't have to search around for the portraits anytime I need to transcribe dialog.

This way we don't need to both do all this work I'm doing right now.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    All three games have bullshit deaths, so....

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Syphyre, I'm going to be using portraits and another Hero cutout for dialog in this one. Feel free to link to the ones I upload. I'm keeping documentation on the links in a text file so that I don't have to search around for the portraits anytime I need to transcribe dialog.

This way we don't need to both do all this work I'm doing right now.

Sounds like a plan. Thanks for letting me use that stuff.

Did someone say bullshit deaths? Why I think I'll try to show off more of them in this next LP!

Syphyre on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

It's a sierra game, of course there's bullshit deaths! It's not police quest or anything though

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Set 15 - Welcome to Shapeir
    Welcome to Quest for Glory 2: Trial By Fire. This is one of the 2 games in this series that I consider shit hot, even though all of them have their high points. As far as I know, this is the very first game that allowed you to import a character with most of their stuff and all of their stats from a prior game, plus a new skill is added in this game (Communication). There's more to do, more area to explore, more sidequests, more characters, more of an endgame, and the day/time system actually matters more than simply affecting what monsters show up and when you can do certain things. In fact, you're on a time crunch from the minute you start this game, because it all ends after a certain amount of days.

And if you don't complete some quests before a few days are up, the whole city gets destroyed and it's all your fault.

So, without further exposition, let's fire this sucka up.

qfg19032011174733.png

This is the opening menu. Just like Mass Effect 2 did more than two decades later, you have the option of starting a new Hero (why you would do this is beyond me; part of the series' charm is taking a man from humble beginnings and building him up, and this skips a whole chapter of the story) or importing one you already completed QFG1 with.

Guess which one we're doing.

qfg19032011175151.png

There's a cool little intro here that plays the Hero theme, with a bit of a Middle-Eastern flair to it.

qfg19032011175205.png

qfg19032011175312.png

qfg19032011175315.png

qfg19032011175316.png

qfg19032011175317.png

qfg19032011175319.png

qfg19032011175320.png

qfg19032011175326.png

qfg19032011175330.png

qfg19032011175333.png

qfg2hero.gifUm, thanks for the wardrobe shift, mom.

qfg19032011175336.png

qfg2hero.gifWell, I haven't let an opportunity to pose smugly pass me by yet. I don't see why now would be any exception!

qfg19032011174740.png

qfg19032011174741.png

Clicking on the candle flame gives you this cute little message.

qfg19032011175103.png

qfg19032011175106.png

How odd, this game converted my save game name's language. I suppose "Asslicke" is German for "Asslicker".

qfg19032011175113.png

The original version asked you this too. It was never wrong, but just for convenience sake, they allowed you to change classes while importing. This made for some ridiculous multiclassing exploits, particularly where the Paladin is concerned. You'd have a character with Thief skills, knowledge of the Thief Sign, every magic spell in the game, a sword and shield, and Paladin abilities. It just makes the games ridiculously easy,

qfg19032011175115.png

and we're not doing it.

qfg19032011175428.png

We got an extra 25 points after importing, which I poured right into Agility. The reason for this will become apparent on Day 2.

qfg19032011175431.png

qfg19032011175438.png

This is one of the neat little touches that AGDI put on QFG2. You have the option of using the old alleyway system from the EGA version of the game, where it's a horribly complicated network of labyrinthine passages, or you can use a simplified system where every alleyway leads somewhere. The only reason to use the old system is nostalgia.

Additionally, you can choose to use the old parser system (type things in, such as "OPEN DOOR"), the VGA graphical interface, or a combination of the two. I'm just using the graphical interface, since typing will just needlessly clutter things up.

And away we go! We begin in the Katta's Tail Inn...

qfg19032011175448.png

Abdulla Doo is boring, but he does have a couple of relevant things to say today.

abdulladoo.jpgYou know you will always have a place to stay and fine food to eat in Shapeir. Shameen, Shema and I cannot thank you enough for helping us recover our stolen treasure.

He also lets us know that he sold the magic carpet to the Sultan for a fortune.

qfg2hero.gifYou could have given me part of that fortune, you know. That would have been a good way to start thanking me enough.

abdulladoo.jpgIt is good to be back home, even though I have had troubling news. My old friend Arus al-Din, the Emir of Raseir, is missing. He was a good man, but not as wise as I.

qfg2hero.gifMy, aren't we full of ourselves. And also foods that are high in cholesterol. What I am saying is that you are fat.

abdulladoo.jpgAh, but you have not even seen our beautiful Shapeir, and already I speak of problems. You need to go out, explore and discover why this is indeed a land of enchantment.

qfg2hero.gifIt's more like a land of furries, but okay. Are there as many freaks in Raseir?

abdulladoo.jpgI have heard that Raseir has become a grim and unpleasant place to be, now that my good friend Arus is no longer the Emir. I have heard that in Raseir they now forbid people to speak to one another. How can one live in such a way?

qfg2hero.gifThis conversation is kind of making me wish we could try and adopt that policy on a trial basis here in Shapeir. Here, let's see if you can help me out even a little bit. Where's the local Thieves' Guild?

abdulladoo.jpgThieves' Guild? What need have you for thieves? There is no such guild in our fair city!

qfg2hero.gifWell excuuuuse me mister hoity-toity. I didn't hear you complaining about thieves when one helped you recover a vast fortune. Anyway, you've made it clear that you're about as useful as tits on a nun. Hope you eat your way into an early grave! Hey, Shameen, grub now please.

qfg19032011175545.png

shameen.jpgShema will be with you shortly with one of her splendid meals.

qfg2hero.gifAbout time somebody did something of worth around this place.

qfg19032011175553.png

I always say thanks and goodbye to Shema. Habit, I suppose.

shema.jpgYou are, of course, most welcome, my Hero.

We go into Sneak mode immediately and head outside. Need to train up our stealth skills early on in this game, since there are more opportunities to steal.

qfg19032011175620.png

qfg2hero.gifWhy do I find myself doubting that very much?

alichica.jpgYou needa map? I gotta map! You needa compass? I gotta compass! You needa souvenirs for friends and relatives? I gotta best souvenirs in town. You look like such a fine person, have I gotta deal for you! Special today only, I sell you a genuine made-in-Japan, glow-in-dark turban which says, 'My father went to Shapeir and all he brought me was... but maybe you gotta no kids? Then what you want is what I gotta right here -- a Shapeir in a bottle. You shake it and you see Shapeir in a sandstorm. I sell it justa for you for only twice what it worth.

qfg2hero.gifJesus FUCK will you shut up if I buy something from you?!

alichica.jpgWait a minute! What you think I am, a moneychanger? Your money, itsa no good. You need to getta this changed to dinars and centimes before you can buya something.

qfg2hero.gifMust... resist... urge... to... murder...

alichica.jpgYou want to find the Moneychanger's, right? No problem, boss.

He gives us directions to the Moneychanger.

And we leave, heading out to the desert.

alichica.jpgWhatsa matta you? You no like a big deal when you see it? Hey you! I gotta justa thing! A keychain with real Shapeir brass centime on the end. Only costa you one dinar.

(In case it wasn't obvious, 1 dinar is worth 100 centimes)

qfg19032011180431.png

qfg19032011180440.png

qfg2hero.gifAh, the open sands, away from fackin' annoying people.

Most people head right for the Moneychanger at the start of this game, but I always go out to the desert first. The main reason I do so is that usually the first monster/brigand you kill will net you enough money to buy the map, and then you don't have to get lost wandering the alleyways; you can just use your magic map to get around very quickly.

So, let's find us a monster.

qfg19032011180458.png

qfg2hero.gifHeeeeeeere monster monster...

Wait, we'll never catch a monster if we sneak around everywhere.

qfg19032011180517.png

Incidentally, this is everything we have that carried over from the first game. We also have a waterskin, which is essential for desert traveling. Run out of water in the desert and it's death city. It's a particularly dumb and uninteresting way to kill yourself.

qfg19032011180529.png

qfg2hero.gifAha! A brigand! I have lots of experience stabbing you guys' intestines. Have at thee!

qfg19032011180631.png

The combat system that was revamped for QFG2VGA is seriously amazing. I wish every game in the series had this sort of combat. You can move up or down to give or lose ground, you can stab, slash, or do a cool little combination. If you have the throwing skill and some daggers, you can throw them at the enemy mid-combat. Spells have hotkeys of their own, so magic-users aren't frantically clicking around looking for the proper spell. Also, dodging actually serves a purpose here. Time dodges left or right as normal and you'll get a free stab in. If you dodge down just perfectly, you'll duck a slash or jump over a low stab, or if your Agility is high enough you'll jump backwards, and then perform a leaping stab forward. The combat is flashy and cool and I can't say too many good things about it. Tactics make a difference and you can't just constantly stab like in the 1st, 3rd and 5th games. Fighters get unique moves unavailable to other classes.

I'm thinking of uploading some video of it soon.

qfg19032011180650.png

Well... semi-gloriously. We are quite hurt and tired from the experience.

qfg19032011180652.png

qfg19032011180653.png

When victorious in combat, the Thief performs a flashy little dual-dagger spin flourish. It makes you feel like a real sneaky badass.

qfg19032011180659.png

qfg2hero.gifHot damn! You were loaded! This is way more profitable than fighting monsters back in Spielburg.

qfg19032011180700.png

This is another really nice thing. If you throw daggers in the heat of battle and they didn't fly off into oblivion, you automatically yank them out of the corpse after searching the body.

qfg2hero.gifI guess I could look around a little bit more while I'm out here...

qfg19032011180723.png

qfg2hero.gifThere is no escape from bad jokes. No escape.

qfg19032011180740.png

qfg19032011180741.png

qfg2hero.gifI sure hope I remember the way home...

qfg19032011180813.png

qfg2hero.gifMoneychanger, here I come. I bet he's just some stuffy old dude.

qfg19032011180821.png

qfg19032011180825.png

qfg19032011180838.png

qfg2hero.gifWhy won't people stop bugging me?!

qfg19032011180846.png

This is where the communication skill comes in handy. You can make an offer and, if your communication is high enough, you will either get your offer accepted (if it's not insane) or get a counteroffer for a little lower price than the original. If you make too many terrible offers, the merchant will refuse to budge any further after a very short time. Incidentally, this is the same system that is used (poorly) in QFG3.

We buy a magic map and a compass.

alichica.jpgThere you go boss.

qfg19032011180953.png

We're exhausted from sneaking/fighting in the desert, so we get a good hour's rest.

qfg19032011181007.png

Then it's to the alleys, in order to find the Moneychanger. These alleys are a lot nicer than the EGA version, which had no sky, no Katta merchants, garbage occasionally lying around...

qfg19032011181012.png

And, um... Al Emmo, from AGDI's commercial game (their commercial studio is known as Himalaya Studios).

qfg19032011181018.png

Here in the fountain plaza, we carefully skirt any pesky merchants who would try to bother us with their sales pitch. The fountain in the middle is good for drinking from/refilling waterskins. The merchants on the right sell all kinds of tasty food, while the Katta on the left sells pot. I mean, pots. The door next to him is the Apothecary, which we'll check out later.

qfg19032011181023.png

The other side of the plaza has a brass stand, a basket booth and a plant shop, right next to the Magic shop (easy to discern from the eye that follows you around the plaza).

qfg19032011181027.png

Just a quick glance to see what we've improved in so far...

qfg19032011181031.png

And this is the map system. This would be much more complex-looking if we used the original map system.

qfg19032011181052.png

Another nice little feature is that hovering the cursor over a side street tells you its name. In the old game you actually had to type 'LOOK STREET' every time you wanted to see where you were going.

qfg19032011181102.png

qfg2hero.gifWhoa, mama.

qfg19032011181103.png

qfg2hero.gifI sure hope so, because now I'm seeking a lot more than a currency exchange.

dinarzad.jpgI am Dinarzad, Changer of Money for Shapeir. Would you like to exchange something with me?

qfg2hero.gifHow about fluids?

qfg19032011181111.png

We could change all of our currency at once, buuuuut...

qfg19032011181213.png

If you exchange more than 50 gold coins at a time, her fee percentage increases. 50 dinar transactions keep you at the minimum of 10% fee taken. The game doesn't advertise this!

dinarzad.jpgHere you are. I just love intimate exchanges like this.

qfg19032011181235.png

Yay, we're independently wealthy.

qfg2hero.gifHey, just in case...

qfg19032011181254.png

qfg19032011181257.png

qfg19032011181259.png

dinarzad.jpgSo you are a jackal among the goats, then. I am very fond of those in the profession. This could be the start of a beautiful relationship. Come back tomorrow evening or so if you are interested in doing for me a little favor. It could be to our mutual benefit. And do come fully equipped. No one of your profession should travel without the proper tool, and a little oil to make the insertion easier.

qfg2hero.gif...

qfg2hero.gif...

qfg2hero.gif...

qfg2hero.gifI FUCKIN' LOVE SHAPEIR!

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wow, I did NOT get that joke when I was a kid.

august on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fantastic.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hrm...should the sets be split up by game? Game 2 set 1?

Edit: Oh never mind, you split it on the first page. That works!

Syphyre on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    august wrote: »

You mean Dinarzad's little flirting? Or something else? There are a bunch of bad jokes in that set.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

You mean Dinarzad's little flirting? Or something else? There are a bunch of bad jokes in that set.

Yeah. The oil thing, specifically.

august on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    And just for the hell of it, I went with the original street style...

Syphyre on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Syphyre wrote: »
    And just for the hell of it, I went with the original street style...

Thanks. It would have driven me insane, personally. So many dead ends...

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Guys...Guys...
    Somebody at RPS is totes following this thread, as evidenced by their newest Gaming Made Me article on QFG4.
    BEHOLD!!

Whoa, I don't know how I missed this. Great read! But people in the thread who want to be surprised by what's coming up in later games might want to give it a pass, since there's spoilers.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Wow...new battle system is both awesome AND going to take some getting used to. Died on my first battle >.<

Syphyre on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Wow...new battle system is both awesome AND going to take some getting used to. Died on my first battle >.<

Use the keypad, and go see Uhura for mad combat tipz.

Most important thing? Alternate 7-9-7 on the keypad for a triple attack for massive damage and the higher possibility of a critical hit.

Thieves/Magic Users only get 7-9 double attacks with the dagger. Fighters get to do some cool stuff in combat this game.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Use the keypad, and go see Uhura for mad combat tipz.

Most important thing? Alternate 7-9-7 on the keypad for a triple attack for massive damage and the higher possibility of a critical hit.

Thieves/Magic Users only get 7-9 double attacks with the dagger. Fighters get to do some cool stuff in combat this game.

Of course this may be one of those instances where dragging the "Game Skill" to max thinking it's going to be like all the other QFGs is a baaad idea :P

Syphyre on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah nooooooo. Monsters will kick your damn ass at the highest skill level if you haven't practiced pretty hard.

Leave it about midway up, and if you feel like things are too easy then gradually slide it up. Hardest difficulty is ridiculous.

Oh, and there's an optional fight in this game that is epic, both in scale and difficulty.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yep, I plan on going for the epic boss when I get to that point.

Syphyre on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    By the way, if any of you are playing along, or even if you're not, I highly recommend trying out QFG2VGA. It's free and a lot of fun, even if you're starting a brand new hero.

I think we'll be staying in Shapeir for at least as long as we did in Spielburg, and then I'll be hurrying through QFG3 while still hitting the highlights. It's just a game that had a lot of potential and doesn't deliver.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    so is the QfG series abandonware or what

basically what i'm asking is is can i download it legally for free

Rent on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I dunno, I liked QFG3 but the thief really got screwed over. Maybe it's because I still enjoyed the characters.

And screenshots are on hold for me until I spend the next 10 hours practicing with this new combat system, hah.

Syphyre on
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    QFG3 had my second favorite setting of all the QFG games. The Egyptian/Southern African kind was pretty cool. Aside from thieves not having much to do, its still a fun game. The wizard duel is one of favorite bits in the series actually.

BTW, loving the LPs, looking forward to QFG2.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rent wrote: »

Nope, it's copyright is held (by Activision, I think).

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'd love to see the QfG series up on GoG one day, since I've lost my original anthology disc a few years back.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Vegan wrote: »

Nope, it's copyright is held (by Activision, I think).

And unlike the other * quests, they never rereleased it :(

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

You probably already know this, but you can legally download the QfG 2 remake: http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/qfg2/

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh and if you didn't know, using the simplified alleyway system will also lock you out of some easter eggs.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, that's okay. Syphyre has the original alley system, and his LP's style is better suited for picking up that extra stuff.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I found my Anthology disc (cleverly hidden in a place of honor right on a special disc holder on my desk) Any tricks to getting the games to run well? Or at all?

I also just pulled out all of the Adventurer's Correspondence School books from my book shelf including the original Heroes Quest labeled one before they had to change it and the huge map of Shapier.

*edit* took a photo of the map. Best map ever.
    1300631534.jpg

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited March 2011
    So I found my Anthology disc (cleverly hidden in a place of honor right on a special disc holder on my desk) Any tricks to getting the games to run well? Or at all?

DOSBox.

august on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

DOSBox.

Yeah I actually found a new installer for my cd which has the benefit of not only working in 64 bit windows 7 but it installs it so dosbox works better. Seems to be working.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited March 2011

I also just pulled out all of the Adventurer's Correspondence School books from my book shelf including the original Heroes Quest labeled one before they had to change it and the huge map of Shapier.

*edit* took a photo of the map. Best map ever.
    1300631534.jpg

Ah, the halcyon days where games actually came with cool shit by default, and you didn't need to pay $10-50 more for a special edition.

DOSBox is your friend, to answer your question. It's really easy to use; just download the program, install it, and drag the executable from the game you want to play on top of the DOSBox executable. It's a DOS emulator, and it defaults to a really slow DOS computer, so if you need to speed it up, press CTRL+F12 a few times until you're running at least 10,000 cycles.

EDIT: Oh dammit

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    DooosBooox....DOSBox is the master. DOSBox decides who will play, and who will not.

And yeah, I miss those massive books they used to put in computer games. I'd spend hours reading and re-reading them. Ultima 5 came with a fabric map and some other cool stuff. And all the QFGs had fun reading material.

Syphyre on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I remember I used to own the QFG anthology strategy guide.

I would spend hours and hours reading it, I don't know if I ever beat any of them other than 1 though. I played them all though (except for 5).

Sceptre on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I remember a time when computer games would come in HUGE boxes, with strategy guide sized manuals, and like 5 CDs!

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hmmm in the vga qfg1 it won't let me click on anything in the menu bar with sneak and run. I open the bar but it closes as soon as I move the cursor.

Also no one better make fun of the Marx Brothers in QFGII. It is my favorite part in all of the series.

Librarian's ghost on