As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play Quest for Glory. Thanks to Piotyr for keeping this going!

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    3's biggest problem is that it is a filler game. The original story plan was the four seasonal games but they felt they could squeeze one more in the middle.

It's almost exactly the same thing that happened to Resident Evil only a few years after that. Code Veronica was intended to be RE3 but they had time and wanted to make one last PSX game.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I always liked the fact that Paladins were actually proper badasses in the QfG world and not the stereotypical DnD Lawful Stupid jackasses that you usually see in fantasy games.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    I remember a time when computer games would come in HUGE boxes, with strategy guide sized manuals, and like 5 CDs!

Or nine 3 1/2 inch floppies!

Syphyre on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Or fifteen 5 1/4" floppies!

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Or fifteen 5 1/4" floppies!

I still have these for Hero's Quest.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Windows NT was the last OS I ever installed from floppies.

A full install was something ridiculous like 54 3 1/2" FDs.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I hate it when I get a classic game off Goozex and it's the floppy version instead of the CD-ROM version. It's like, what am I supposed to do with this?

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You're just not classic enough.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I remember the Anthology version of QFG 4 was wierd. If you used the windows version the cursors did not animate in the cool ways when you switched but the dos version did.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I personally don't much care for the music in the Windows version of QFG4 and a lot of the voice acting is mind meltingly horrible so, basically, people shouldn't bother with it in my opinion.

august on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Bu..but John Rhys Davies :?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I remember the Anthology version of QFG 4 was wierd. If you used the windows version the cursors did not animate in the cool ways when you switched but the dos version did.

I think that has something to do with how Windows does cursors...and shit, I think that anthology might have been made for Windows 3.1.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Spoit wrote: »
    Bu..but John Rhys Davies :?

if he played every character in the game I'd be all over it.

august on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    And, uh... Jennifer Hale

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    But really, the stooges VA in the inn in QfG4 was the best part

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Spoit wrote: »
    But really, the stooges VA in the inn in QfG4 was the best part

Also everything with Doctor Cranium.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just dug out my old discs - I think I know what I'm doing once I beat Dragon Age 2.

Found my anthology, original release discs for IV, and the discs for V - along with the Anthology, I VGA manuals, and V manual.

Hmm, I'm not sure if I've ever played a full run of the first four as a thief. I *think* I've done it as a Mage.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I took the day off today, and Mondays are way too busy for me to update this (9-9), but plan on a Tuesday update for sure.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Syphyre wrote: »
    capture15032011185328.png

Is.. is that a Starfleet officer on the right hand side?
    Is there an easter egg where you encounter him?

APODionysus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Syphyre wrote: »
    capture15032011185328.png

Is.. is that a Starfleet officer on the right hand side?
    Is there an easter egg where you encounter him?

Yes, it is.

No, you do not.

Although, you should download QFG2VGA and play the Intro sequence for yourself. (hint, hint)

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So how bout that update?

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Still working on my first shapier fighter-power update. Been busy taking care of RL, but should have it soon hopefully

Syphyre on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Uploading my files for the update now.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Set 16 - Dinarzad is way cooler than Uhura
    qfg19032011181307.png

...Holy shit, I can't believe something like that was in a game that I played when I was eight.

qfg2hero.gif(With innuendo like this, I bet she's dying to get her hands all over my pink and purple saurus!)

qfg22032011194557.png

qfg22032011194559.png

qfg2hero.gifMother fuck

With that, we leave Dinarzad and explore the city some more.

qfg22032011194628.png

qfg2hero.gifIt's awfully nice of the Sultan to allow monsters inside Shapeir...

qfg22032011194635.png

qfg2hero.gifThat's very interesting, I met some other 'taurs back in Spielburg. Murdered quite a few of them, in fact.

rakeesh.jpgNo relation.

qfg2hero.gifDamn, I almost had you going. So what brings you to Shapeir?

rakeesh.jpgThe Sultan summoned me to Shapeir to aid against the dark magic which even now hovers near this city. I fear, though, that I am not the hero I was once. Perhaps you will become the hero they need.

qfg2hero.gifNatch. I mean it's sort of my thing. Too bad you're all bandaged up there or I'm sure you'd actually help instead of laying around all day, right? So what's up with the local monsters?

rakeesh.jpgThere are many monsters out on the desert. They are all easy to avoid if you simply do not go out in the desert to look for them.

qfg2hero.gifMan, for a hero the Sultan himself called him to help, you're kind of a puss. Is that what you're best at? Avoiding monsters and not looking for them? Whatever, I've got a guild log to sign. Outta my way, furball.

rakeesh.jpgWhat?!

qfg2hero.gifYou heard me, Kilrathi.

qfg22032011194709.png

qfg22032011194711.png

qfg2hero.gifWell damn, it's nice to finally get some well-deserved respect around here! What's your name, miss?

qfg22032011194714.png

qfg2hero.gifWhat the hell are you doing with your mouth there

uhurav.jpgMy people be very far from here. I be Simbani warrior, but Simbani woman cannot be wife and warrior. So I be coming to Shapeir to find father so I can bear child. Now I have Simba and still remain Simbani warrior.

qfg2hero.gifOh, so your people are almost totally comprised of dicks and you needed a sperm donor. Message received. Did you know there's a monster just outside your guild? Anyway, tell me about the local fauna.

uhurav.jpgMany monsters live in the desert. You be going there, you need watch for Jackalmen and Ghouls at night. During day, you find Brigands. Scorpions and Terrorsauruses always a problem. Jackalman not be all that tough, but many Jackalmen be wearing down even good fighters. Keep rest of the pack off your flank at all cost. Ghouls be bad magic things out only at night. They eat the dead, but they will not be picky if they get the chance to eat you. They steal your life and then use it to cast spells against you. Avoid their spells and kill them quickly while they be weak. Brigands be only moderate fighters, but they can still kill unprepared victims. You be fine as long as you attack and defend better than they do. If you be fighting Scorpion, you must watch the tail. If the tail gets you, then you will be plenty sick, maybe dead, unless you get healing. Scorpion be not very smart fighter though. Terrorsaurus is dinosaur thing with many claws and teeth. It likes to eat people. Look out when it leaps at you. It can tear you up, if you do not dodge. Few weeks ago, one Terrorsaurus approach city and invade pen. Tried to kill riding sauruses. Rakeesh was nearby and helped gate guard slay it. Now head hangs here on wall.

qfg2hero.giftl;dl

qfg22032011194818.png

And the most important item on today's agenda has been crossed off!

May as well glance at the bulletin board...

qfg22032011194827.png

qfg22032011194830.png

qfg22032011194832.png

qfg22032011194835.png

qfg22032011194836.png

There's a lot more ambiguity on the bulletin board. Still, we do know that we should attempt to help the owner of the magic shop; it seems the simplest item on the list.

qfg22032011194843.png

But ehhhhh Hamburglar is not a fighter, so we don't bother reading further into it.

qfg2hero.gifSay, where does this door on the right lead to?

uhurav.jpgThat will be the place to see just how good a fighter you are. I get tired of not using spear and shield for so long a while. Maybe you and I will go check out skills there. No magic, though. I don't do magic. No throwing things either. Only melee fighting.

qfg2hero.gifOh, okay. Let's have a sparring session that plays to all your strengths and absolutely none of mine!

qfg22032011194928.png

qfg22032011194930.png

qfg2hero.gifI have to wonder how often he uses that excuse.

uhurav.jpgIf you have some spare time, we can practice a bit together. You may not be warrior, but basic combat knowledge still be useful to keep you alive.

qfg2hero.gifAww, a baby!

qfg22032011194940.png

qfg22032011194942.png

qfg2hero.gif...Shut the fuck up, kid.

qfg22032011194953.png

uhurav.jpgMzuri sana. I accept your challenge. Let's fight.

qfg22032011195004.png

qfg2hero.gifYou're going down, lady...

qfg22032011195017.png

qfg22032011195018.png

qfg2hero.gifHey! I'm still perfectly healthy!

Fights in the guild hall with Uhura are unique in that stamina counts for both... stamina... and health. If her spear hits you, your stamina goes down. If you jump around or perform acrobatics, your stamina goes down. Uhura can do the fucking flashdance and her stamina won't budge unless you smack her around with your weapon. So this is one of the few instances in the series of the computer being a total cheat. Still, it's more useful for combat training than the EGA version, where you could basically kick the snot out of Uhura by the end of the second day.

qfg22032011195034.png

Sneaking counts as a fatiguing action, and so if stamina = 0, more sneaking will actually harm you.

qfg22032011195049.png

We take our second rest of the day.

EDIT: I know this seems like a really small update, but I have been spending a lot of time with portraits and transcribing. Things will go faster once we see all there is to see in Shapeir. The place is pretty big.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Is it just me, or does Uhura look like she's going DAT ASS all the time?

24w80mv.jpg

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    And now I have a new avatar. :D

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I need more QFG to see. Work is so slow...

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    qfg19032011181307.png
    Ah this. Of course now that I'm older I know this is a line out of Blazing Saddles as well.

Edit: Hey what do you know the clip is on youtube.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-pmpgrYQgs

Syphyre on
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Great news.
    I just realized I haven't followed the fighter playthrough yet! Yay something to pass the time...

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I must have always missed that line, I've seen Blazing Saddles at least a dozen times and I never picked up on it for some reason. Maybe I am in the bathroom or something.

EDIT: Oh by the way update tonight.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Think of it this way...maybe Uhura's admiring your derrière all the time.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I tried to walk into her bedroom but she wasn't having it

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Think of it this way...maybe Uhura's admiring your derrière all the time.

Maybe she picked up something on the ship's sensors. She does look a bit like Nichelle Nichols (not racist).

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    24w80mv.jpg

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I still don't understand what she's doing with her mouth in that portrait

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I think she's biting her lower lip, if only because of this.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Okay, wow. That cracked me up when I finally understood it.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Well, I'm 1/4 of the way through typing up an update, but imageshack won't let me look at my pictures right now. That's sort of annoying. It's coming, people! As long as the site comes back...

EDIT: Now it's not even letting me log in. This is frustrating.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Set 17 - im in ur market, buying ur stuff
    qfg22032011195111.png

Upon waking up, we decide to explore a bit more. This is the northern Palace Plaza, where there is a carpet and jewelry merchant. Both of their wares are very expensive, and the carpet merchant outright refuses to deal with us, knowing that Shema/Shameen would be very cross if they found out Hamburglar was sold a rug he couldn't possibly have a use for.

qfg22032011195117.png

This is the south side, and where the palace is located. Take a good look, we won't have a reason to come back here again. The only thing this screen is good for is attacking the guards and getting a silly and boring death message.

qfg22032011195131.png

We MAGIC MAP our way back to the Fountain Plaza and enter the Apothecary. This is a place we'll be visiting fairly frequently; it's where all of the Health/Vigor/Poison Cure/Mana pills are sold, as well as where we'll need to buy supplies for some of the upcoming problems Shapeir will be facing.

qfg22032011195135.png

Harik is one busy motherfucker and never takes notice of you until you bug the shit out of him. It seems like he would be a good thievery target, but he has nothing for you to steal, unfortunately.

harik.jpgThis is the Apothecary, where one can buy many wondrous pills and oils. I am Harik. If you need something, just let me know.

qfg2hero.gifHarik? What does that mean?

harik.jpgIn your language, it means "Fire Druggist". I was well named.

qfg2hero.gifAre you sure it doesn't mean "Date Rapist"? You've got kind of a child molester 'stache going there, fella. How much do "the goods" cost?

harik.jpgI have the following pills for sale:

Vigor pills for 500 centimes.

Healing pills for 10 dinars.

Poison cure pills for 12 dinars.

Mana pills for 15 dinars.

qfg2hero.gifHoly fuckstick, you are more expensive than than the whores who weren't your mom at the local 'house. 1500 centimes just for a few Mana pills?! It's a damn good thing I barely rely on magic at all.

Okay, so pills are a little more of a pain in the ass than potions were. They stick in your throat and kill you if you don't have any water to drink after taking them. They make water conservation more difficult, since you have to take a gulp after taking a pill. Also, and this was confusing to me when I first played the VGA remake, Poison Cure pills must be taken prior to engaging a Scorpion in battle as a preventative measure. You get stung by their tail and you're instantly dead unless you took a PC pill. So we bargain him down and stock up on all of the available pills, and buy some oil while we're at it to make thievery easier. Dinarzad did suggestively tell us to bring some, anyway, and it's a steal (heh) at 20 centimes.

harik.jpgThere is a special money-back guarantee with every pill I sell. If you die because of a pill, I will gladly refund your money.

qfg2hero.gifGee, you're swell. So there was a notice up in the Guild Hall saying you need some ingredients. Care to elaborate a little bit?

harik.jpgI am always out of Scorpion venom to make poison cure pills, and Ghoul claws for my experiments. I will pay 20 dinars for the tail of a Scorpion, and 15 dinars for the claws of a Ghoul.

qfg2hero.gifWell, I guess if you were after monsters that were easy to kill you wouldn't need me...

At a certain point, Harik stops buying Scorpion tails and Ghoul claws. Incidentally, these are two of the most dangerous enemies in the desert, particularly Ghouls, who drain your life, cast ranged magic and take a long-ass time to murder. Scorpions are pretty nasty too with their one-hit-kill attack and all, but at least you see the tail wiggle before it happens, giving you a chance to dodge.

We leave the Apothecary...

qfg22032011195420.png

And are immediately accosted.

qfg2hero.gifUh... yeah. I've sought some pot for quite a while now...

qfg22032011195444.png

qfg2hero.gifHey! This isn't what I bargained for! You're a worse drug dealer than that Harik guy, and I'd report you to the authorities if it didn't mean I'd be arrested too. Good day to you, sir.

We buy:

qfg22032011195511.png

a lamp...

qfg22032011195539.png

and a basket.

Then we head into the Magic Shop.

qfg22032011195604.png

qfg22032011195605.png

qfg2hero.gifOh god, I thought I left all this saurusshit behind when I got out of Spielburg.

keapon.jpgPleased to meet you and I mean to please you!

qfg2hero.gifWHOAH there buddy, have you got the wrong guy. I do not swing that way, no matter how effeminate I might look while sneaking around.

keapon.jpgWelcome to my little shop of wonders! Wonder what shop it is? It's magic, of course!

qfg2hero.gifNO! I would never have guessed that. Thank you for disclosing such useful information.

keapon.jpgI am Keapon Laffin, proprietor. You must be Nobile Caws. Proud to know you, Mister Caws. Shapeir always hopes for heroes.

qfg2hero.gifFuckin' gnomes, man. Look, do you have anything a thie- em, I mean, an acrobat could use?

keapon.jpgIt's sad, Dad, but if you need to climb to the sublime, you need a rope, Dope.

qfg2hero.gifThanks, son!

keapon.jpgI happen to have a magic rope for sale, direct from some Hindoo who did the best he kin do. If you are inclined to climb, a magic rope can give you hope. To make it rise, close your eyes, raise your arms high, and watch it fly. It's a good tool, fool, but remember the rule: the magic can't last, and on your last cast it'll go fast, so don't waste it or you might find yourself hanging in air with nothing there.

qfg2hero.gifHm, among your incoherent ramblings I actually gleaned some information from you. A magic rope does sound useful, for entirely legitimate business enterprises of course.

keapon.jpgWe have a special on magic ropes this year. It usually costs 12,500 centimes. For a limited time only, though, it's only 125 dinars. So do you wanta scope a rope, Miss Anthrope?

We buy a rope, even though it costs a god damn arm and a leg (113 dinars after bargaining).

qfg22032011195743.png

qfg22032011195744.png

qfg22032011195745.png

qfg22032011195747.png

qfg22032011195748.png

Keapon Laffin also sells Force Bolt and Levitate, for 20 and 30 dinars respectively. We need those but not yet, and the money can be better used elsewhere until we do.

qfg22032011195702.png

Also, something I forgot to mention when this playthrough started: QFG2 starts you off with the Zap spell if you have any Magic skill at all, whether you had it in the last game or not. Isn't that nice?

The spell charges up your dagger with magical energy, which is released into the next thing/monster/person it ends up lodged inside.

qfg2hero.gifAny other Wizards in Shapeir?

...we say on our way out the door.

keapon.jpgIf you need to know some knowledge about the magic way, then go and see Aziza who'll enchant you if you stay. Watch out, she's testy, though. So long, fair well, Oaf, we da same! Goodbye! See you real soon, Effendi Caws I like you.

qfg22032011195813.png

We buy some extra waterskins from the leather merchant. The more waterskins you have, the more water you can carry into the desert with you, extending your stay.

qfg22032011195848.png

Issur is a prick but he's the only guy who'll sell us daggers in Shapeir.

qfg22032011195857.png

qfg22032011195905.png

We buy some for throwing at monsters.

qfg22032011195923.png

qfg22032011195928.png

...and a cloth bag.

qfg22032011200021.png

Then we head down the Tarik of Stars to the very end.

qfg22032011200045.png

qfg2hero.gifOh god. You're one of those David Icke people who thinks there are lizard people ruling the world, aren't you?

qfg22032011200047.png

Hasan?

qfg2hero.gifWrong on the name there, bucko.

astrologer.jpgOh, that is not you, is it? It is hard for me to tell at such a distance. Come in anyway, and welcome. I am Abu al-Njun and I am the 'Astrologer of the Stars and Omens.'

qfg2hero.gifAbu-ala-what? Whatever. Dude, nine eleven. We still haven't forgotten.

astrologer.jpgWho are you that I might know you?

qfg22032011200123.png

qfg22032011200124.png

astrologer.jpgIt is well that you have come, then. The signs show that we will soon need a hero here.

qfg2hero.gifMan, I am a Christian. I don't do any of that devil stuff, except for maybe stealing which doesn't count because I just now said so.

astrologer.jpgI have been stargazing since I was little. There is so much to learn from astrology.

qfg2hero.gifMaybe if you're a dipshit... wait...

astrologer.jpgMy job is to reveal the future to those who seek it. Perhaps you wish to know your own fortune. If you wish to know your fortune, I will need to know your guiding signs. Tell me about your past and the things you have done.

qfg2hero.gifWell, you asked for it buddy. I was born in a small fishing village, off the coast of Silmaria. I had a rough childhood, but so does everybody I suppose. It was when I turned 3 that I...

*some time later...*

qfg2hero.gif...and that's how I ended up giving a prostitute flute lessons. Well, that was everything I did when I was 3. Moving on...

astrologer.jpgNo no, I think I understand your guiding signs now... thank you. You have lived a most interesting life. I will look into what signs have guided your life thus far, and see how they will affect you in the future. This will take many hours, so you will need to come back some other day.

qfg2hero.gifOh, I see. You just want to be rid of me. Well I get the hint. Unless you want to hear this really amusing anecdote involving a horseshoe, a branding iron and a really pissed off centaur with narcolepsy...

astrologer.jpgPlease go.

qfg22032011200154.png

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    What? You didn't buy the x-ray glasses? But you can use them to see a naked chick later!

Librarian's ghost on