As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

longshot - Grim Fandango Hardware Rendering?

DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Games and Technology
Can anyone tell me if the game actually looks any better or there are any more graphics options if one is using hardware rendering for this game?

I was having a tough time getting it working under XP with hardware rendering enabled - and now I'm considering the possibility it was one of those early games where the hardware rendering only allowed it to run faster, not look any better.

And in that case, since it already runs like butter, I wouldn't be missing anything going the software rendering route.

Deusfaux on

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    sadly, if i recal, it does make the game look a bit better. certainly stuff looked crisper.

i've been able to get it to work in xp before (years ago), what problem are you having?

tried running in 98 compatibility mode? or as admin?
    edit - also did you install the patch? i vaguely recall it doing something to the hardware rendering stuff

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    everything in XP is "as admin" aint it?

win98 compat check
    patch check

basically it's got horizontal lines across all the scenes unless I follow one of the tips I found to disable DirectDraw entirely

and in that case, it looks and works just fine

but under the numerous combinations of settings I tried, as soon as I switch in the F1 options the rendering to hardware, it just stops responding and boots me to desktop. have to reboot game at that point

would the "crisper" look just be any processing the gpu is doing on the polygons? like AA or something? and thus not actually a part of the game

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I DID, and I'm not even sure that affects the game itself in any way? It's just the launcher that's updated?

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    IIRC, the backgrounds were all pre-rendered, and only the characters were actually 3d, so it really shouldn't make much of a difference

Serious_Scrub on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm aware of both of your stated facts, but that doesn't preclude the possibility that with hardware rendering the visuals are bettered in some way.

special effects, higher poly count characters, better shading, better shadows, better lighting on characters, etc.

these are all possibilities I just came up with

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Grim Fandango didn't have much in the way of effects (and those I can remember where 2D transparent textures), poly counts don't change with settings (only mods that would replace the original models), and Grim Fandango didn't have dynamic lighting.

The only benefits you would find are sharper textures by forcing anisotropic filtering and less jaggies on the character models by forcing AA.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    which are both controls done outside the game...

so the reason it's coded in there is for... faster processing?

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    At the time, the gap between software and hardware rendering was widening. Now we have software that can run circles around the cards of yesteryear. I doubt there will be any noticeable difference.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D