As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Tribes] Ascend. - Updating OP, steamgroup listed for coordinating matches together!

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Can't they just repackage the Shifterv4 mod and release that instead? What is this "buying loadout" nonsense. If I can't customize I will be very sad. That said, this game has a spinfusor, so I'll be playing it.

SniperGuy on
  • Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Morkath wrote: »
    Anzekay wrote: »
    If they're using LoL as their model, then it'll probably work something like this:

Either you choose your loadouts, but you have to buy the weapons and packs and grenade types and armour types and shizz in order to to be able fully customize it, or

You can choose from a (probably huge) list of loadouts, but can't make your own (but probably wont need to), but you have to buy each loadout in order to be able to use it.

In addition, each week there is a list of loadouts that everyone gets to choose from without having to buy them/the gear.

Finally, you buy all this stuff via two means: Playing games earns you in-game currency that you can buy everything integral to the game with. You can also spend real money to buy a different sort of currency that does the same thing but might also buy skins and shit, and has different prices.

There wont be any shit like Spinfusor +1, period.

Have you not played Global Agenda? That is exactly what their shop is. Pay to keep using your Spinfusor +1.

What? no! Anything that is gameplay related, IE weapons, can be bought via In game Currency for GA. And they are bought permanently. So basicly your entire post is wrong.

Who-Psyd on
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, all jokes aside there is a lot more doom and gloom here than is deserving. The model has the potential to work out really well, if they do it right. We really just need more details.

Anzekay on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    yeah the f2p model is absolutely fine with me, just like most here i would gladly spend $50 on loadouts, hopefully they don't get greedy though

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I only had like four favorited loadouts and really only used two. I had my Light/Jammer with spinfusor, plasma gun and grenade launcher for raising hell in enemy bases, I had Medium/Repair with Chaingun, Spinfusor and ELF for base defense. I had the typical Heavy/Shield pack with the Mortar and a Light/Energy Sniper loadout too that I didn't use that much but came in handy if I had to fill one of those roles suddenly.

So as long as I can get some loadouts that are roughly analogous to those, I'll be happy.

Drake on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Light for capping, light duel/midfield, light defense, heavy defense, heavy offense, and medium turret farmer.

Fizban140 on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Light for capping, light for base raiding, light defense, heavy for doing the funky chicken, light for dueling.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I liked dueling lights in midfield. Just place the mortar where they are going to land, bam, you win.

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2011
    Who-Psyd wrote: »
    If they're using LoL as their model, then it'll probably work something like this:

Either you choose your loadouts, but you have to buy the weapons and packs and grenade types and armour types and shizz in order to to be able fully customize it, or

You can choose from a (probably huge) list of loadouts, but can't make your own (but probably wont need to), but you have to buy each loadout in order to be able to use it.

In addition, each week there is a list of loadouts that everyone gets to choose from without having to buy them/the gear.

Finally, you buy all this stuff via two means: Playing games earns you in-game currency that you can buy everything integral to the game with. You can also spend real money to buy a different sort of currency that does the same thing but might also buy skins and shit, and has different prices.

Have you not played Global Agenda? That is exactly what their shop is. Pay to keep using your Spinfusor +1.

What? no! Anything that is gameplay related, IE weapons, can be bought via In game Currency for GA. And they are bought permanently. So basicly your entire post is wrong.

So if you buy the items they are permanent? So the paying customer now has an advantage over the non-paying? I just know when I was playing GA the other day all my non-common rarity items had durability on them, and needed repair kits to keep them working.

Morkath on
    edited June 2011
    Who-Psyd wrote: »

So if you buy the items they are permanent? So the paying customer now has an advantage over the non-paying? I just know when I was playing GA the other day all my non-common rarity items had durability on them, and needed repair kits to keep them working.

If your going to doom and gloom at least doom and gloom with facts.

All items are perm no matter how they are aquired.
    Everyone has to repair gear. Kits are either crafted bought from NPC for Tokens or bought from other players from Auction.
    Gear at 0 durability does not use its modifers, so a Purple at 0 Durability has same stats as a White. Unless you sell or delete gear it does not dissapear.

Who-Psyd on
  • JerkbotJerkbot some kind of hypnotist Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Okay, I see the doom and gloom being admonished here, but has anyone noticed that the article said loadouts only have two weapons?

edit: Quoted "A loadout determines the characteristics of your character in battle -- specifically, their armor type (light, medium or heavy) which also affects movement (heavy units move slowly, light very quicky), the two weapons they will be carrying, the type of explosive they will wield, and what their pack (which can change the dynamic of a character) does."

Jerkbot on
    VyQGM.jpg
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well most people will only want a small number (<10) of loadouts. I will probably use about three or four, I expect.

The question is, how many loadouts can we get for $50-$60? Until we know that then there isn't much point in being pessimistic.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
    edited June 2011
    Well, we should remember that you will likely be able to buy loadouts or whatever with a currency earned in-game, so you might not even have to spend that much money to get all the loadouts you want.

Anzekay on
    edited June 2011
    I suppose one nice thing about preset loadouts is that it will make people more specialized, and possibly encourage teamwork as a result. Will probably help newer players also.

As they are going to be making money from cosmetic stuff also, I am going to be a little optimistic and hope that loadouts are actually on the cheap side.

Edit: Another thing is this is supposed to be (at some level) free to play. So there must be some basic or rotated (LoL-style) loadouts or something that are free.. I would think.

You seem to be right about using in-game currency. From Eurogamer
    Players will buy them either with real world money or currency earned at a slower rate from playing matches. New load-outs will be added regularly to keep the game fresh.

"The game is role-based so the whole idea of having complimentary load-outs and more of a class-based approach is certainly a change and we think an innovation that will make the game a little easier to learn at the low level," Harris continued.

"You can come in with a more targeted role, but also keep things very interesting at the higher level because of its more class-based or load-out-based nature."

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wow I remember this game. Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't it have some connection to a shitty Mecha game?

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
    edited June 2011
    Starsiege was actually a pretty awesome Mech game, which has nothing to do with Mecha.

So yeah, pretty wrong.

Drake on
  • SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Drake wrote: »
    Starsiege was actually a pretty awesome Mech game, which has nothing to do with Mecha.

So yeah, pretty wrong.

Mech was what I typed, stupid phone autocomplete. Although googling seems to think that Mech and Mecha are interchangeable.

Either way I remember trying Starsiege and hating it, and tried the Tribes part of the package on a whim... <3 Crikey what a game.

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That angry murmer you hear over your head is absolutely nothing to be worried about.

And pay no attention to the flickering in your peripheral vision.

The torch bearing mob outside is there for your neighbor.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I really enjoyed Starsiege. I actually played it before I played Tribes. It took me FOREVER to pass the Tribes tutorial where you have to jump on the different platforms. Jetpacking was hard for me to learn back in the day.

Now, i'm a grizzled master of the jetpack.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Jerkbot wrote: »
    Okay, I see the doom and gloom being admonished here, but has anyone noticed that the article said loadouts only have two weapons?

edit: Quoted "A loadout determines the characteristics of your character in battle -- specifically, their armor type (light, medium or heavy) which also affects movement (heavy units move slowly, light very quicky), the two weapons they will be carrying, the type of explosive they will wield, and what their pack (which can change the dynamic of a character) does."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that a nod more towards Tribes (1)? I seem to remember that 2 weapons were the limit there, but in my defense it has been a long, long, long time. I just seem to remember the standard loadout being Spinfusor and Chaingun.

Either way, I'm in the camp of preferring the simplicity of Tribes 1 over Tribes 2, so it's actually good news for me. I always felt the simpler you make the gear you can carry at any one time, the more important strategy and teamwork become.

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Bloodsheed wrote: »
    Jerkbot wrote: »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that a nod more towards Tribes (1)? I seem to remember that 2 weapons were the limit there, but in my defense it has been a long, long, long time. I just seem to remember the standard loadout being Spinfusor and Chaingun.

Either way, I'm in the camp of preferring the simplicity of Tribes 1 over Tribes 2, so it's actually good news for me. I always felt the simpler you make the gear you can carry at any one time, the more important strategy and teamwork become.

you could have more than two weapons for every armor type in Tribes 1

MrDelish on
  • ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't really like that information, half of the time I played Tribes 1 it was the Renegade mod.

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Elitistb wrote: »
    I don't really like that information, half of the time I played Tribes 1 it was the Renegade mod.

RenegadesX was where it was at. Dying every five seconds to rapid-fire, unlimited-ammo sniper rifles was the bomb.

Also, the Football mod

MrDelish on
    edited June 2011
    Tribes Base forevar

Drake on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I didn't really put 2 and 2 together, but it sounds like hi-rez is going to be a bit controlling of the game if you have to purchase loadouts from them or with your own cash... what does that mean for mods? I assume hi-rez is going to kick the modding community of tribes to the curb with this one since how would they manage to let modders make custom weapons, maps, etc. etc.

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
    edited June 2011
    As soon as I heard Free to Play I realized that mods weren't happening. Which is kind of sad but I'm not really going to dwell on it. While I was never really into the Mods for Tribes (I did play a bit of Renegades), I will miss things like enhanced HUDs.

Drake on
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    They had already said a little while back that they werent going to be supporting mods, at least right out of the gate. The wording made it sort of sound like it would be something theyd do down the road or something.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Which was the Tribes mod where touching the ground killed you and only one armor type could fly vehicles? That was the best game mode.

Silas Brown on
    edited June 2011
    I'm trying to figure out how Tribes: Universe fits into this.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Which was the Tribes mod where touching the ground killed you and only one armor type could fly vehicles? That was the best game mode.

That would be the TAC mod, which is boss.

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2011
    Enig wrote: »

On hold, Ascend is a way to get a playerbase and work out the gameplay before tackling added MMO bits.

Who-Psyd on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Screenshots!

They actually look fairly tame and this thing badly needs anti-aliasing. And the weapons are still massive. So let's just hope it's fun to play.

• bobsbarricadesbobsbarricades Registered User regular
    coming from the original when I was a kid and remembering the training mission at the start to get used to the weapons...I gotta say I'm real excited about what this might be. REAL excited.

• GuildNavigatorGuildNavigator Registered User regular
    Who-Psyd wrote:
    Enig wrote: »

On hold, Ascend is a way to get a playerbase and work out the gameplay before tackling added MMO bits.

Whoever they've got leading their marketing department should stick around. These guys are looking to re-establish Tribes as a serious brand.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I'm only about 2 minutes in but so far that video is giving me the biggest boner.

I'm seeing way more TRIBES than TRIBES 2 and that is glorious.

EDIT: Just watched the whole thing.

Looks. So. Good.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    Oh god, the drool, my keyboard. So very want, so very very want.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
    Yeah that looks super slick. If I had any complaints it'd be weapon size and visual obstruction from reloading animations. Otherwise, fantastic.

• 815165815165 Registered User regular
    Weapon size might just be down to whatever fov their using, and hopefully you can remove the guns entirely.

Either way though, shit looks suitably Tribesy for me to be excited.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    This looks good.

The generators look like generators!

Edit: Continuing to watch this. It looks like Tribes! Memories...flooding back!

Sarksus on
This discussion has been closed.