As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tribes] Ascend. - Updating OP, steamgroup listed for coordinating matches together!

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    This game is just fantastic. It's easily the most intense shooter I've played in years. And when you play well, it just feels soooo good. Gliding around is fantastic, chasing people is also fantastic. I really like this game.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    GameTrailers did a review. Huh...

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-tribes-ascend/729224

Missing some points on the game, commenting that locked weapons are more powerful (no), and kind of glazing over the class differences, but that's kind of a given considering the length of the review.

Really? The locked weapons seem better to me. The soldier's spinfusor, the tech's thumper?

• Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Finally I have something to fill the widening gap in my heart that the lack of modern arena shooters has caused. I never played the first iterations of Tribes (I know, I'm a god damn heathen) but I absolutely love everything about this game. I bought a $10 gold pack to get VIP, should I blow $30 on the Premium Bundle-whatever-it-is?

I fucking love this game.

• Options
    Also Arena is a lot more fun than CTF in this game. Which is sad, but still. Too bad it seems pretty unpopular. Couldn't get a full game yesterday. It's a 5v5 mode!

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    I still haven't got to play raindance. It always puts me in a server somewhere at the drydock end of the rotation somewhere and I don't feel like playing 7 in a row.
    Only like 3 custom servers for aus at the moment.

• Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    I had my first CTF match on Raindance last night; the vast, rolling hills are really nice to zip around. The gen room is fairly tricky to defend since you can get into impromptu multi-level firefights with anybody trying to mess around in there, but the layout of the map in general is well done.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Missing some points on the game, commenting that locked weapons are more powerful (no), and kind of glazing over the class differences, but that's kind of a given considering the length of the review.

Really? The locked weapons seem better to me. The soldier's spinfusor, the tech's thumper?

I don't think they're better, just different weapons to fill different roles.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options

It's possible I'm biased but the assault rifle and SMG seem pretty awful to me. The SMG especially, compared to the thumper.

• Options
    Once you get used to leading it, the AR is really pretty great. It's always a welcome sight seeing a bunch of 75s pop off an enemy character, and the soldier's grenade launcher is also petty good. Granted I have yet to unlock the spinfusor (although I've got a free unlock code sitting around somewhere), but the AR is not the most terrible thing.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

It's possible I'm biased but the assault rifle and SMG seem pretty awful to me. The SMG especially, compared to the thumper.

You are conflating your preference for certain style weapons with them actually being better. The soldier spinfusor isn't better than the AR, just different. Overall AR/thumper is viewed to be the stronger loadout than Spinfusor/pistol, though both are perfectly useable. As for the tech's thumper versus his smg, each is better in different situations, the 'problem' with the tech is that he can only have one at a time, of course this is why he is a support class and not a pure combat class like the soldier. The smg is better outdoors, better against heavies, but overall does great damage. The thumper is great indoors and is great against lights.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Stationary vehicle + AR = goodbye vehicle. I find automatic weapons to be really good outside; indoors explosives dominate, since there's walls and ceilings everywhere.

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The assault rifle is the preferred weapon for SLD.

Whether the alternate weapons are better or not varies from class to class and role to role. None of them are universally superior.

However, there are a few which are superior in a majority of situations a class might find itself in. I would put PTH light assault rifle, SEN falcon, and TCN thumper in this category.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    sliver911sliver911 Registered User regular
    Any use of an automatic in this game makes me sick.....

I enjoy the slow moving projectile based air ballet. If your not rocking this TuTu, get outa my life!

No really. The worse thing about automatics is the bloody screen shakes they induce. If i'm being peppered by a SMG in the air I have no clue whats going on. All I see is red and my monitor is convulsing. Thus, the wielder of the automatics has an advantage if they fire first.

Well, I'm not really cool with advantages in games. Balance it.. Or put on the TuTu

• Options
    Yeah, it's a good thing getting hit by explosives doesn't mess up your screen or anything.

• Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    Soooo. Up until this weekend I mostly played Soldier and Pathfinder.

This weekend, I totally fell in love with the Brute. I love waddling into combat with my spinfusor, auto-shotty, and fractal grenades. I'm still divided on if the shield pack is worth it, I do enjoy having some mobility. Will just need to do some more testing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Glal wrote: »
    Yeah, it's a good thing getting hit by explosives doesn't mess up your screen or anything.
    Eh, there's a difference between constant screen shaking and "oh, an explosion went of next to my head".

I'm just not a fan of the automatics I think. I like the heavy chaingun and I liked the T1 chaingun but the SMG feels like a tiny toy that despite my best efforts aiming never seems to kill anyone before they kill me. Could also be a function of that weird server lag. Damn server lag.
    Also on my hate list is infiltrators. Fuck they're strong now. Did they really need that sticky launcher thing? Really?

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Automatics are considerably harder to aim than explosives but they're very powerful. Their main advantage is outdoors where you can hit people in mid-air rather than waiting for them to land, or against Heavies which are very easy targets so the huge DPS from sustained fire comes into play.

• Options
    Oh, an explosion went off next to my head, covered a third of my screen with the cracked glass effect and physically moved me around.

• Options
    Huh, I had to actually sit and think if my screen actually was affected by automatic fire. I guess it is? Honestly it's never been enough to affect my aiming or for me to notice in any but the most cosmetic of ways, I get into automatic v. automatic duels all the time. Hell, I get hit first by the enemy all the time in this duels and win.

Sniper: If you aren't killing people with the automatics it is because, and no offense intended here, you suck with them. I sucked with them for a long while too. When I first started playing T:A I thought automatics were bad, explosives were better, etc. The reality of it is that automatics were bad FOR ME because I was bad WITH THEM. I figured out how to fully disable mouse accel in windows, forced myself to get used to a lower dpi setting, practiced, practiced, practiced and now I can shred people with automatics. They are a valued part of my arsenal and I find myself constantly switching between them and explosives based on the situation and the moment due to tactical considerations as it should be.

So really, you just need to sit down and practice with them or you will suck at them forever.

• Options
    So, what's the explosive concusive things that causes you to fumble the flag? Are they grenades, or from some sort of gun?

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Lalabox wrote: »
    So, what's the explosive concusive things that causes you to fumble the flag? Are they grenades, or from some sort of gun?

Those are the impact nitron grenades that the pathfinder class gets. What separates them from most grenades is that they explode on impact with anything (the ground, a person, etc) and their explosion forces flag drops.

Also their explosion can be used on yourself to get huge boosts of speed.

Consequently, they are damn useful.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Inquisitor, that may be true for the AR. I haven't used it barely at all. The SMG though I have used quite a bit. At close range, landing every bullet and still been murdered, when a thumper would have succeeded. It's not just "I suck". Definitely could be server lag though. I also find the spinfusor to be infinitely more fun and entertaining anyway. Lala, those are nitron grenades. And they're hilarious.

I wonder How, hypothetically, you could allow mods while still allowing for the f2p system to make money.

• Options
    I thought that I was going way too fast to be hit by a normal grenade. Damn pathfinders.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    I play a (poorly unlocked) Infiltrator (full sticky grenades, but SMG and silent pistol) and I have to say it's amazing. I prefer automatic weapons, and like Inquisitor I think I've adjusted myself to any incoming auto fire (like from Techs, for instance).

• Options
    Inquisitor, that may be true for the AR. I haven't used it barely at all. The SMG though I have used quite a bit. At close range, landing every bullet and still been murdered, when a thumper would have succeeded.
    You sure? I mean, it'll always be true if both of you are on low health, since doing burst matters most then, but overall automatic weapons have higher DPS, provided you land every shot.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    I get pretty good success indoors and out with the Tech's SMG. That thing is nifty. Add in some crafty turret placement and the Tech's oft-neglected grendades and they can stand up to quite a bit. As long as you aren't looking at sustained combat the SMG does just fine indoors. Maybe the Thumper is better, I don't have it so I wouldn't know for sure, but the SMG seems to be very viable in close combat.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Ok this is the truth behind my issues with Autos.

The sounds attached!

Can't stand the sounds. For some reason when I hear autos being fired I cringe, and for some reason I think I'm playing a childish game. I would spend millions of Tribal Gold for the option to make the sounds in this game more realistic and engaging. This might seem crazy, but sometimes when I switch the sound effect files out on First Person Shooters I actually improve as a player.

"Pew pew pew pew " followed by "tick tick tick tick"

Puke

Exchange this for

Realistic mind blowing fucking machine gun sounds and gut splitting blood spewing chest thuds. yeahhhhh

sliver911 on
  • Options
    I prefer the sounds they have in. Super loud over the top gun sounds are fine in single player games but they can seriously interfere with my situational awareness. The hit feedback sound is good too imo. I know I am connecting but once again it's not interfering with hearing other cues in my environment.

• Options
    Listen Drake. Your picture scares me, so I can't take your opinions into consideration. I don't really care for sound to buff my situational awareness. I spend most of my tribal hours spent soaring through the air. Up here, I can see everything around me.

• Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    Last night I noticed something strange: A few times, I hit someone with a spinfusor disk, they shifted like they were hit with an explosion, but then they took no actual damage. I'm fairly certain they were classes that didn't have shield packs, though I suppose that is a possibility.

• Options
    mrflippy wrote: »
    Last night I noticed something strange: A few times, I hit someone with a spinfusor disk, they shifted like they were hit with an explosion, but then they took no actual damage. I'm fairly certain they were classes that didn't have shield packs, though I suppose that is a possibility.

Welcome to the HiRez servers!

• Options
    SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    All this dislike for full autos makes me grin. I love love love the INF's Rhino SMG. I've tried the Jackal but I could never get the timing down right, or I'd accidently click 4 times and hurt myself. With the SMG, and throwing knives, I can empty the clip in the SMG, and usually finish them off within 2 knives.

Ask Drake about it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    It went like this; "I think I'll leave the base through this exi... OH HAI SOULGATE." Cue me reflex shooting my Heavy Spinfusor or whatever the monstrosity is that the Brute carries into the nearest wall (taking off a nice chunk of my own health) as Soulie nimbly dodges and opens up with the SMG. Then I'm looking at the respawn timer as Soulgate and I exchange VGS "Hi" clips.

But yeah, I've seen Soulgate at the top of the leaderboards every match we play together when he's an Inf and he rarely camps the generator room and even does flag caps. He's devious and mean spirited. Great team mate.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I kind of want to buy the infiltrator just because I want a light armor with an automatic weapon.

• Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular

Must you always complain?

PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I kind of want to buy the infiltrator just because I want a light armor with an automatic weapon.

Infiltrator best filtrator.

Edit: Way better than an Outfiltrator.

BeNarwhal on
  • Options

Must you always complain?

That's not a complaint, that's an explanation. Plus, I've said quite a few nice things about this game, so I dunno where you're getting that idea from!

Hugs for all.

• Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    Lag and poor latency sometimes occur in online gaming.

Stay tuned for the latest shocking news at 8!

romero.jpg

PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Okay guys, I haven't played this game at all except for like one match in open beta. I lost terribly, and I'm pretty sure I didn't give it a fair shake. Any newbie tips, and do PA peeps get together to play this at all?

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    I suggest TDM, as boring as that may sound, to get used to the weapons and movement before you take on CTF.

This discussion has been closed.