As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tribes] Ascend. - Updating OP, steamgroup listed for coordinating matches together!

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Michael Jackson eating popcorn GIF.

:^:

But yeah, the arguments have no point. I disagree with inquisitor's assertions. But I doubt we'll find middle ground.

So, jetpacks! Shazbot, still the best sound effect ever?

• Options
    mrflippy wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Shazbot, still the best sound effect ever?
    It's better than Woohoo! at least.

Well obviously. That's the second best sound effect.

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    It's too bad so many people have never heard ~wdeath on Female Voice #2 and ~wwind. Tribes 1's sounds were stellar.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Wait, you've been trying to say that the Thumper DX is better than the Soldier's Spinfusor?

I thought you were comparing the tech's Thumper.

Jesus. No. One of the soldier's secondaries is NOT better than one of his primaries. Your argument is sad "Well if you keep missing with the spinfusor the thumper does more damage, see!" Really. I didn't realize that hitting was important in terms of doing damage. It is not much easier to hit with the thumper. YOU find it easier to hit with the thumper. Stop conflating your preferences for universal truths.

No, most people find it easier. Seriously. Try a mode other than CTF and watch how many people get kills with thumpers rather than spinfusors. It's ridiculous. I can also easily dodge a spinfusor shot that I see coming. I can't do that with a thumper shot that I see coming. You've said yourself you haven't played these modes, so until you do you're not arguing from a position of experience. Hitting with the spinfusor is not entirely dependent on your own accuracy. It's also partially influenced by your opponents ability to dodge. The thumper doesn't have that problem, because the projectile speed is too fast to dodge.

Except the projectile speeds are identical. The reason you see more Thumper kills is Assault Rifle + Thumper is the better Deathmatch setup then Disk + PIstol. Also Thumper DX is not an Unlock, so of course you would see more of it.

Who-Psyd on
  • Options
    ElectricBoogalooElectricBoogaloo Registered User regular
    tribes name Noctulate.
    I can't hit anything with an assault rifle unless I'm going fast.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Getting tired of fighting the lag again. It is the strangest thing, I'll get one good match in and then suddenly everything falls apart. I'm shooting out of my knees, getting half the height I should out of my jetpack, rubberbanding into trees. Its so frustrating to go from reliably mid-airing people to not even shooting straight. Watching people hover above me while I can't even get off the ground with half my energy.

I've also frequently experienced hitting people in mid-air without doing damage, more often I've been getting splash damage from a direct hit.

nonoffensive on
  • Options
    Getting tired of fighting the lag again. It is the strangest thing, I'll get one good match in and then suddenly everything falls apart. I'm shooting out of my knees, getting half the height I should out of my jetpack, rubberbanding into trees. Its so frustrating to go from reliably mid-airing people to not even shooting straight. Watching people hover above me while I can't even get off the ground with half my energy.

I've also frequently experienced hitting people in mid-air without doing damage, more often I've been getting splash damage from a direct hit.

I noticed getting lag last night as people were joining. Perhaps that's the cause? The lag is pretty pervasive but isn't constant. Lag from people joining would make sense.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Usually things are pretty lag free for me but ocassionally things do get pretty bad. I find that it is usually localized to that server though so quitting and requeueing can do the trick sometimes.

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    just fyi - when the thread hits 100 someone else can make the thread, since I have let everyone down with hype and information on it D=

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    SensationalSensational Registered User regular
    Every time I see a Sniperguy post I keep thinking he's secretly a huge fan of theonion.com and is subtly trolling everyone here, because I do not believe I've seen him make a singe statement I could agree with, ever.

Spinfusor > thumper >>> thumper dx, and if you want to prove otherwise then put your name on the list and I'll see you in the arena.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Every time I see a Sniperguy post I keep thinking he's secretly a huge fan of theonion.com and is subtly trolling everyone here, because I do not believe I've seen him make a singe statement I could agree with, ever.

Spinfusor > thumper >>> thumper dx, and if you want to prove otherwise then put your name on the list and I'll see you in the arena.

I'm honored. What about "the servers are laggy" or "this game is not as deep as previous games in the series" and "mod support would be wonderful but they'll never implement it"?

See, what I find amusing is so many people seem to take offense when I point out a problem with the game, and many of those people refuse to admit this game is anything but perfect.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Name people who think the game is perfect and they can talk for themselves? Seems to be a fairly straight-forward answer.

• Options
    verbelverbel Registered User regular
    I added my info to the list. I have been playing quite a bit lately though I am pretty bad.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Name people who think the game is perfect and they can talk for themselves? Seems to be a fairly straight-forward answer.

Look, even if I paid enough attention to names to remember each person I've argued with, I wouldn't recite them, because that's just begging to turn into a flame war. I have no desire to do that. My views that this game is pretty flawed are pretty well known. I'm still having fun with occasional bouts of not-CTF matches, as I think CTF is currently pretty broken and unfun. Which is sad, because it used to be my favorite. I just think some people are a little too quick to jump to the defense of the game without considering that yes, it can be flawed.

I didn't realize the tech's thumper was a better version than the DX (though since it's a primary as opposed to a secondary, it makes sense). I'll definitely have to get that unlocked.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    I think everyone realizes the game is flawed, you just seem to have a different metric to what exactly is wrong with it than most people. So, them pointing out they have no problem with something you dislike? Not really them unable to accept the game is anything but a beautiful butterfly.

• Options
    I think everyone realizes the game is flawed, you just seem to have a different metric to what exactly is wrong with it than most people. So, them pointing out they have no problem with something you dislike? Not really them unable to accept the game is anything but a beautiful butterfly.

This thread has a very different outlook on the game than the vast majority of other people I've spoken with. Anecdotal, I know, but remember this thread isn't "most." I was just pointing out that whenever I mention a flaw I'm flat out told I'm wrong. Or when I mentioned server lag (something MANY people have also mentioned) I got told I was complaining. I just think some people are a little too devoted to this game to stand any criticism of it, even when it was in beta. I've asked before actually, many pages back, if the people telling me I'm wrong had any issues they'd like to bring up and discuss with the game and not a thing came out. This leads me to believe some people see it, as you said, as a "beautiful butterfly."

But anyway, let's move the thread back to more game related discussion. How's Capture and Hold? I haven't tried that out yet.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Likewise haven't tried it yet, but I watched TB's preview of it and C&H + Raindance looks like a lot of fun. Though I think I'll need to pour some EXP into another class for it, Techs don't seem very useful when assets can change hands at the drop of a hat.

Glal on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Capture and Hold is fun but relatively mindless. Techs are good on both of the current capture and hold maps at locking down specific capture points on the map. For Raindance its the capture points in the gen rooms (because LOL that entrance is an utter deathtrap). And the two capture points in the bases on Katabatic can also be hard to take against a tech (though not nearly to the same degree as Raindance because Katabatic actually has decent base layouts with multiple entrances). However, you'll have to unlock something to replace your repair gun because it's pretty darn useless in capture and hold. Base assets are fully healed when a node changes hands, and nodes change hands with good frequency. Tech's didn't seem that great on the three node map but that one has been taken out of the rotation anyway.

The key thing to remember in capture and hold is that you have to TOUCH the node with your body for it to start switching over to your team. And that's the only trigger. It's not like Battlefield where proximity does it. It doesn't care how many enemies or allies are around the node. The second you touch a node it switches to your side and 5 seconds from then it starts earning points for your side. I've watched enemies stand around a point and not touch it and watch it just rack up points for my team. I've kept a node swarming with enemies from earning points just from swooping in and out over and over again keeping it more or less 'neutral'.

My preferred loadout for C&H is Soldier with the Spinfusor, Eagle Pistol, AP Grenades, Utility Pack, Safety Third and Quickdraw.

You die ALL THE TIME in C&H and inventory stations are always RIGHT next to the nodes. Consequently you often have a full load of grenades. So with safety third and the utility pack I have 4 AP grenades and quickdraw lets me throw them out all very quickly. I can either saturate an area with explosions to clear it out or keep a node covered in explosions for a bit so no one can touch it (you must touch the node to cap it). The spinfusor is also used to hurt people and blast them away from nodes so they can't touch it. Eagle Pistol is for plinking and finishing. Lastly there is a TON of explosive spam in C&H so soldier armor + utility pack kicking you up to 1400 is really nice. Being able to survive a little longer or take a direct mortar hit can make all the difference. I feel it's a good balance point between survivability, damage and speed.

• Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    Capture and Hold is... relatively mindless.

PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular

I think I'd like C&H better if you didn't respawn on top of the objectives. Its hard to lock something down when the you kill a guy and he's on top of you again before you can touch the point. I think I'd like it better if they used the starting spawn points the entire match game and increased the hold time.

• Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular

I think I'd like C&H better if you didn't respawn on top of the objectives. Its hard to lock something down when the you kill a guy and he's on top of you again before you can touch the point. I think I'd like it better if they used the starting spawn points the entire match game and increased the hold time.

I would like to see a true attack and defend game type.

One team starts inside a giant cavern or the prow of some giant space ship. The other team has to defend the ship as the attacker attempt to push in and take the objectives in order. When they take it, the sides flip. Pretty standard I guess but I think it'd be fun for TA.

PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    Aye, it'd be nice to have a gametype that isn't balanced around "both teams are exactly the same, go!".

• Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular

One team starts inside a giant cavern or the prow of some giant space ship. The other team has to defend the ship as the attacker attempt to push in and take the objectives in order. When they take it, the sides flip. Pretty standard I guess but I think it'd be fun for TA.

This gametype was in the original Tribes under the name Defend and Destroy. It was a ton of fun, as most of the ways into the bases were 'deathtraps' of one form or another. Example would be a walled base compound (I'm forgetting the map name for it). Attacking team starts outside, attempts to storm the walls while the defenders attack from higher ground (with turret support). Once over the walls, the interior of the keep had two towers sticking out of the ground, each with an entrance at the top level which led down to an underground base where the more critical/pointworthy assets were.

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    That sounds like a lot of fun. Anything that rewards a lot of strategy and team work. Deathmatches and C&H are pretty dull.

Step 1: Kill stuff
    Step 2: Fly around
    Step 3: ??????

PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    The tribes 2 adoptation of DnD was Siege. Where you would have a set time to destroy the enemy objectives. Then the sides would flip and the other team has to do it faster.

• Options
    The one I'd really like to see them implement is actually Find & Retrieve (F&R). In that one, a set of flags was placed in the middle of the map between two teams and they would have to rush the center, grab as many as they could, and bring them back to their base (while attempting to steal away their opponents' flags). Kind of like the Hunger Games, except less emo.

Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
  • Options
    tuxkamen wrote: »
    The one I'd really like to see them implement is actually Find & Retrieve (F&R). In that one, a set of flags was placed in the middle of the map between two teams and they would have to rush the center, grab as many as they could, and bring them back to their base (while attempting to steal away their opponents' flags). Kind of like the Hunger Games, except less emo.

That's...nothing like the hunger games.

• Options
    edited April 2012

Stuff being in the middle and people having to rush in, grab as much as they can and rush out is vaguely similar to the scene in Hunger Games.

Stop being so disagreeable for one second please. Could I pay you real life money to leave the thread? What's your price?

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    I tried. I really did.

• Options

Stuff being in the middle and people having to rush in, grab as much as they can and rush out is vaguely similar to the scene in Hunger Games.

Stop being so disagreeable for one second please. Could I pay you real life money to leave the thread? What's your price?

Eh, just bugs me when people drop the "thing" of the moment into comparisons towards anything. That's an incredibly minor part of the Hunger Games, and I wouldn't call it emo either. I apologize that I have offended your eyeballs with my sentence. May you heal quickly.

I never played F&R with any frequency, but I did like Siege. I enjoy the attack/defend and swap gametypes quite a bit. That'd be a good addition. Though I wonder if an entire team was focused on destroying a generator if it would be possible to defend for any length of time with the current setup.

• Options
    It wouldn't be possible unless the assets started at maxed-out upgrades. Likewise, they would have to implement the multiple-generator layout that forces you to take out the gens powering the outer doors/defenses first, before you can enter and assault the generators powering the inner defenses. So on.

• Options
    It wouldn't be possible unless the assets started at maxed-out upgrades. Likewise, they would have to implement the multiple-generator layout that forces you to take out the gens powering the outer doors/defenses first, before you can enter and assault the generators powering the inner defenses. So on.

Hrm. Yeah that could be a lot of fun. Someone get HiRez on this.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

This gametype was in the original Tribes under the name Defend and Destroy. It was a ton of fun, as most of the ways into the bases were 'deathtraps' of one form or another. Example would be a walled base compound (I'm forgetting the map name for it). Attacking team starts outside, attempts to storm the walls while the defenders attack from higher ground (with turret support). Once over the walls, the interior of the keep had two towers sticking out of the ground, each with an entrance at the top level which led down to an underground base where the more critical/pointworthy assets were.

I thought I was the only one who liked D&D. It always had the least servers and the lowest number of players on those servers, but I absolutely loved it. I've always rather disliked CTF. :\

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I thought I was the only one who liked D&D. It always had the least servers and the lowest number of players on those servers, but I absolutely loved it. I've always rather disliked CTF. :\

Well, we played it for competition purposes (composite ladder), but we did enjoy it. At least I did. F&R was more freewheeling and hectic. D&D was fun because you got to duel around the base entrances and mortar spam the living cats out of the entrances.

• Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular

When my team has no points controlled, I'll often spawn right next to an enemy turret. That's always loads of fun.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    D&D was fun because you got to duel around the base entrances and mortar spam the living cats out of the entrances.

This is probably one reason why D&D would be difficult to work. Mortar (and fractal) spam would just utterly wreck anything where one team only had to worry about keeping the other team out, unless you have literally a half-dozen entrances.

See: Raindance, or that C&H map they pulled.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Garthor wrote: »
    D&D was fun because you got to duel around the base entrances and mortar spam the living cats out of the entrances.

This is probably one reason why D&D would be difficult to work. Mortar (and fractal) spam would just utterly wreck anything where one team only had to worry about keeping the other team out, unless you have literally a half-dozen entrances.

See: Raindance, or that C&H map they pulled.

But in D&D you have to worry about keeping one team out while you're also trying to get to the other team's base and ripping apart their shit. It stayed pretty balanced in base.

In fact, that's probably why I never liked Shifter... too easy to go crazy on the defenses.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    I'm finding that my enjoyment of the thrill and the rush of playing Tribes is being slightly tempered by the fact that I constantly get my ass kicked by people with names like "Poopfeast420".

Other than that, I'm pretty happy with the game so far.

• Options
    The way I figure that gets handled is using the following sort of general base layout.

Again, let's pretend the base is a walled compound with a fair amount of turret defenses.

Layer 1: Outer walls. Attackers spawn outside, defenders spawn on walls. Spawn points, like the gens and FFs, are gated to phases. The main gate is a giant FF/door which, when powered, blocks simple access. The walls can be jumped over, and inside the compound are three ramp (not conduit) towers and two redundant generators on opposite sides of the area.

Blowing up both generators drops the main door and depowers the turrets. Each destroyed turret and generator provides one-time points. Note that generators and turrets cannot be repaired once destroyed in this mode, unlike CTF.

Layer 2: Base outskirts. Attackers continue to spawn outside, but can now safely drop inv stations in the base compound. Defenders spawn in the base in the first basement level, where two of the towers empty out. From the first basement, a broad ramp leads down to a gen room (think Katabatic) with two gens on separate peninsular platforms. The third tower is a back-door route with a hairpin-route to the same gen area. Attackers can fake pressure on the front before a big push at the third tower, or vice-versa. The generators power doors (or a floor FF) leading to the sub-basement.

Layer 3: Base core. Attackers now spawn within the compound walls. Defenders must defend a long hallway leading to their main generators, but there are side paths leading to each (think the Bella Omega basement level). Destroying both generators ends the round.

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    hrmmmm I should change my name to poopfeast420

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
This discussion has been closed.