As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's the Blitzkrieg Bop. - Fear Itself

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah the whole "Fractions gonna take FOREVER" thing doesn't really work since this issue was really well paced

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited April 2011
    So Hulk is going to tie in with 37. Its by Jeff Parker so it'll be good. There is a new worthy blacked out on the cover, but judging from details in his silhouette I'm thinking its either
    A-Bomb or The Thing.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited April 2011
    Journey Into Mystery 622 Preview

Holy shit this is so good.

prv8256_pg4.jpg

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's absolutely awesome (I was going to post a link in the previews thread), but is that related to Fear Itself, though?

Hey, I'm curious: most of the Marvel-Norse gods are based to greater or lesser degree on their real-Earth-Norse counterparts. Marvel-Skadi doesn't seem very much like real-Earth-Skadi, as far as I can tell. Does anyone know if
    the old god freed at the end of Fear Itself #1
    has a real-Earth-Norse analogue?

Delduwath on
    edited April 2011
    It is, in fact, a Fear Itself tie-in. Apparently Loki tries to recruit other gods to help fight the Serpent.

As for the Serpent we don't know much about him yet. I am assuming the Jormungar Serpent will tie in somehow.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The concept of a young, reincarnated Loki is very compelling, for some reason. I haven't read recent Thor issues, but I imagine him being much like Amadeus combined with Alexander (Phobos).

He probably won't stay good/innocent/ambiguous in his evil for long, though, being a classic Marvel villain. On the other hand, Ares has been on the side of good for a pretty long time now. It helps that Ares is badass, even as a hero.

TeaSpoon on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So how does this fear thing work anyway?

Homefront spoilers:
    Are the people looking to lynch Speedball responsible for their actions, or are they being influenced by the fear god guy?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, I was thinking the heroes are shocked that there's no supervillain involved with the riot, but knowing what we know, it's possible that
    a god
    is involved.

Delduwath on
    edited April 2011
    Not really. The riot happened before
    Sin released the Serpent.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited April 2011
    Fair enough!

Delduwath on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Didn't
    Speedball just go to Stamford a while back in Avengers Academy, and no one really gave him a hard time?

TexiKen on
    edited April 2011
    He was with
    the Academy on a PR stunt, in Front Line he was undercover at Damiens Gift, the foundation started by the mother of the kid who was killed in the explosion in Civil War.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited April 2011
    So one of the Worthy has been spoiled by Bleeding Cool. Definitely the most interesting one so far:
    ffthing1.jpg

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That makes sense - it's smart to have a Worthy from each part of the Marvel 'tree'.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited April 2011
    I really hope that one-shot is written by the same guy who writes the book said Worthy stars in

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited April 2011
    I can't see them letting someone take a comedic approach to the plot. The whole thing is about overwhelming anxiety and despair, and following the style of that cancelled book would undermine that.

Also, if Skadi is any indication, the pictured character wouldn't retain his personality anyway.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited April 2011
    I meant the current book he stars in
    Look, I want Hickman to write it.

Also as I said before, it seems like Skadi and Sin are in sync because Sin wants all the evil shit to happen.

When characters like Hulk, the kinda reformed Juggernaut and the spoilered guy get them I imagine the personalities of man and god would be at war with each other.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited April 2011
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Also as I said before, it seems like Skadi and Sin are in sync because Sin wants all the evil shit to happen.

When characters like Hulk, the kinda reformed Juggernaut and the spoilered guy get them I imagine the personalities of man and god would be at war with each other.

That synchronicity seems more coincidental than anything else. Sin doesn't sound like herself, and addressing fear guy as "father" seems to indicate that she's undergone a pretty radical transformation as well.

If she does something racist next issue, though, then I'll change my mind.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited April 2011

That synchronicity seems more coincidental than anything else. Sin doesn't sound like herself, and addressing fear guy as "father" seems to indicate that she's undergone a pretty radical transformation as well.

Well she specifically says "I am Sin, I am the Red Skull, Yet now, I am Skadi." So it seems like the two personalities have merged. I really don't see the point in giving The Worthy all of this attention unless there is some conflict driving them.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited April 2011
    It wouldn't be the first event where all the villains were bland cyphers, though. The villains in the Secret Invasion one-shots were just generic Skrulls who raided Comboman's wardrobe.

Personally, I'm expecting something like Blackest Night. There may be elements of the hosts' personalities present in the Worthy, but they'll essentially be single-minded foes obediently following the orders of another universe destroyer.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited April 2011
    Oh I am sure the gods will have control. I just wouldn't be surprised if there was inner conflict and maybe one of the Worthy breaks free of the influence

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    He was with
    the Academy on a PR stunt, in Front Line he was undercover at Damiens Gift, the foundation started by the mother of the kid who was killed in the explosion in Civil War.

I must be reading that wrong. Undercover? Why would anyone think it was a good idea to put that character, of all people, in a situation involving Stamford victims?

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited April 2011
    He did. Incognito would have been a better word. It was his own idea.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well... he's an idiot, I guess

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited April 2011

It was his penance.

Robos A Go Go on
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh I am sure the gods will have control. I just wouldn't be surprised if there was inner conflict and maybe one of the Worthy breaks free of the influence

Seeing as you've got Hulk and the newly revealed
    Thing as Worthy I'm gonna agree. Plus I can totally imagine a scene where someone pleads with Grimm asking what Johnny would think of him or some such to stop him from tenderising a little kid or something.

Edit: Oh, Newsarama has a call out for Fear Itself questions and seeing as I don't have a twitter account, I'm posting the link here.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

It was his penance.

And what does the father of the Gods fear? He fears.....himself! Or.....ITSELF. Dun dun dunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited April 2011
    Gank wrote: »

Seeing as you've got Hulk and the newly revealed
    Thing as Worthy I'm gonna agree. Plus I can totally imagine a scene where someone pleads with Grimm asking what Johnny would think of him or some such to stop him from tenderising a little kid or something.
    Sue- Ben, what would Johnny say?!

Ben- He'd say,"It must be HAMMERing TIME!"

Sue- No, that's what Spider-Man would say!

Peter- I did say that.

Robos A Go Go on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I thought the "father" line was just because of Sin's massive daddy issues

Furu on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Speaking of daddy issues...
    ...I saw the first couple of pages that involved Thor and Odin talking. I know he's probably scared out of his mind but Odin really needs to get some therapy. Doesn't Broxton have some social services councilors or something?

Owenashi on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    The concept of a young, reincarnated Loki is very compelling, for some reason. I haven't read recent Thor issues, but I imagine him being much like Amadeus combined with Alexander (Phobos).
    Fuck Alexander right in the ass.

Crimsondude on
  • VermisVermis Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I especially enjoyed Odin's exchange with the Watcher.

Should've punched 'im.

Decent issue, I thought. I agree it was a bit clunky and preachy in places, especially that opening scene. And Odin stole the show.

Vermis on
    rulksig.jpg
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Any particular reason?

TeaSpoon on
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Any particular reason?

...he's Greek?

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
    edited April 2011
    He's also eleven years old.

Seriously, guys.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    He's also eleven years old.

Seriously, guys.

Like the man said. Greek.

Algertman on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Why the fuck would anyone dislike Alexander

seriously he is a great character with so much potential

Read the Ares miniseries and tell me that Ares having a demi-god son isn't great for the character

Solar on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I liked Alexander in Secret Warriors, pretty cool the way he attacked the White House because he was mad at Obama for letting Osborn sick the Sentry on Ares.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Bleeding Cool is showing the Worthy today, ahead of the solicits it looks like.

So far we've got
    Hulk

hulk-570x378.jpg

Titania (that's a pretty good one)

titania2-570x584.jpg

Juggernaut

juggernaut-570x374.jpg

Thing (like how he changed to a Yancy Street Darkseid, maybe he can smoke again)

thing-570x413.jpg

Grey Gargoyle

grey-gargoyle-570x460.jpg

Atuma

attuma-2-570x462.jpg

Absorbing Man

absorbing-man-2-570x501.jpg

TexiKen on
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Those are not some lightweights there. With all the godly power-ups it should be interesting to see how the fights are gonna go.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg