Options

It's the Blitzkrieg Bop. - Fear Itself

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Indi wrote: »

Speaking of Ares, was he anything special before his Oeming return, subsequent Avengers mainstay status, Dark Reign minis and prominence given to his son through Secret Warriors and the like? I had the idea he was mostly a D-lister with few appearances who lived to get his ass kicked and look Greek-silly compared to Hercules.

He was essentially Hercules but a bad guy in terms of power and notability until Oeming's run. Second place characters. Fought the Avengers a bit, fought Thor a bit. Hercules got a bump in power plot-wise with Civil War, so did Ares pretty much.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This whole page man

This whole page

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is a thief? You better believe? It stole youre heart and your cat?

Woah Man...

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    They should bring the Pyla-vell back to save the day

If only because that would be a big fuck you to everyone who wanted her dead

also because She is awesome

Fixed

Gaddez on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Thou Shall Not Mix Cosmic and Earth Marvels

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Matrias wrote: »
    Thor is going to kill another hero Solar likes at the end of it all.

And then I am going to kill Matt Fraction

funny how these things work out

Also yeah I wouldn't have a problem with Phylla-Vell returning. I wasn't a big fan of her, but she was OK and I know that other people do like her so I wouldn't want to ruin their fun.

Solar on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    By the same coin solar, I wouldn't mind sentry coming back, but it would have to be under a different auspice and the writers would need a clear Idea of who he was, how he fits into the setting and what his weaknesses and limitations realisticly are. To that end he would need to have his powers completely revamped, be given actual limitations on what he can do and/or be moved over to the cosmic line.

Gaddez on
  • Options
    John the SkrullJohn the Skrull Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I haven't really been paying any attention to Fear Itself, since my purchasing list is too small to fit in a big event series, so I don't know how it's been going but I can safely say I will look back fondly on it if only for one reason.

Pak and Van Lente written Alpha Flight mini.

With, it appears, all of the house of M related deaths and such comepletely retconned.

This. This is a good day.

John the Skrull on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    And it is looking it might be an ongoing if it sells well. 8 Issue minis are rare enough.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Not really retconned. They still all died. Chaos War just brought them back.

Furu on
  • Options
    John the SkrullJohn the Skrull Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ah, cool. I hadn't actually read chaos war so I wasn't aware. I should probably check that out.

John the Skrull on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Just finished "Tomb of Dracula presents: Throne of Blood" and found it surprisingly entertaining. Sure, it's a bit of a rehash of a lot of old kung-fu movie plots, but it was done classily enough to keep me putting it down.

What I don't get however, is how in the hell it links in with Fear Itself, which it was said to be a part of. Unless the main dude outta of Throne of Blood turns out to be the 9th worthy or some garbage this book in no way connected to Fear Itself, barely linked to MU except it had red-armour Dracula in it for like, two pages.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I had no idea it was supposed to have anything to do with Fear itself. There was no banner, and marvel LOVES it's banners.

MastaP on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I know! Maybe they were just capitilising on all the promotional material for fear itself without actually tying it in. But I swear promos said it would.

In fact:
    Marvel wrote:
    Prepare for a clash of steel, blood, and the undead in Vampire #1, as Marvel changes the way you see vampires…and shows you the meaning of Fear Itself.

Pfft, they don't even call it by title, just "Vampire", now that's lazy. But then there's this Throne of Blood as well. God, they're not doing lead-in one-shots for tie-in one-shots now are they?

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is the most cynical answer, "Yes?" Then, yes.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Kodo or whatever his name is was in the latest issue of X-Men via a story by Professor X.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It is probably a lead in to the Hulk vs. Dracula FI mini coming up

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Macro9 wrote: »
    Kodo or whatever his name is was in the latest issue of X-Men via a story by Professor X.

Well well, it was too. I only remembered his name as Koda from X-men and he's mainly refered to as Raizo in Throne of Blood. That and he looked wildly different in each story.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    One more stupid question. So the Asgardians have left and the Olympians are who knows where. So there are only like two dozen pantheons left. At what point does another one finally step up and say, "Screw those losers."

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Mount Olympus is off the coast of New York

Furu on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Fair enough.

Still, they are screw-ups. I don't know. I'm just sick of those two pantheons

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Well they are the most prominent and well-fleshed out pantheons in the public eye

the only one that may rival them is Egyptian and there are a few Egyptian heroes and gods running around

it is hard to sell series or characters based around religions no one knows about

the average comic book nerd knows who Hercules, Thor, Zeus and Loki are even if they haven't read the comics about them

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I always liked the Eternals in terms of "Gods but not Gods" thing

They should do more stuff with them

Solar on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    What happened with them again? Last I remember was another reference to Kirby as God/Magic Barman and the Dreaming Celestial becoming Gods best friend, but I don't actually recall where The Eternals ended up.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    There was a mini

A mini by a guy who really wanted to write the X-Men it seems

But really I tend to think that after the Gaiman Mini they just sit in their crazy underground city doing Eternal stuff (whatever that might be).

Solar on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    they should get into shinto and hindu mythology, just sayin

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The whole thing with the Japanese Pantheon they had going on in that Ares mini could work

They focused on Mikaboshi a lot but there are other cool Japanese Kami to be using

Solar on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Well they had a shit tonne of the Kami in Mikaboshi's Chaos King one shot. Neat designs on most of them too. And speaking of Chaos War, they touched on a whole bunch of pantheons, Greek, Egyptian, Aztec, Inuit, others I can't remember now.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    They should do a Great Beasts buddy comedy.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So uh Invincible Iron Man is the first disaster in an event that shocked me. Like I felt super creeper out reading this.
    Grey Gargoyle petrifies the entire city of Paris, save for some lucky survivors. Iron Man brawls with him all the while trying to avoid the stone citizens reminding himself "Not statues, bodies."

Grey Gargoyle beats him unconscious, he wakes up in the dark pinned under some rubble. Tony makes his way to the surface to discover he was buried in one of many mountains constructed from the shattered bodies of Parisians.

Not statues.

Bodies.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    woah

Solar on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Damn it, Blank. I've made up my mind to finally drop IIM (since I've found it bland and boring for the last, like, 2 years), and now you bring out something that actually sounds interesting.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I think its been picking up steam since the pretty convoluted 500 issue. I loved the Doc Ock three parter.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I, on the other hand, was annoyed by a lot in the Doc Ock arc, although I fully admit that part of it might be that I've started to resent IIM to the point where I'm blind to its good stories.

Well, I can always pick it up in trade, if this arc turns out to be good.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Here are the last two pages of IIM, so you can get how horrifying this is
    pq8HD.jpg
    kMNd0.jpg

This is also the first real glimpse of a Worthy in action and Fraction really sells the whole unstoppable force of nature thing. Tony describes WorthyGargoyle "Wet, oiled STONES sliding across each other... the ground compressing and crushing beneath each step" and Larroca draws him utterly inhuman.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Fucking hell

that is grim

Solar on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Where were Les Héros de Paris?

Seriously though, that's a neat shot. Very Miracleman.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That is fuuuuuuuuucked.

Would you have a scan of WorthyGargoyle, by any chance?

Delduwath on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'd love it if Batroc became the savior of a rebuilding Paris after Fear Itself. GET ON IT, GILLEN.

Also, I'm not gonna scan any more of the issue as per the rules, but here's a bit from the 505 preview. He's a lot more frightening in 504 cause the brawl is at night so shadows are at play and they are surrounded by frozen Parisians who are mid-scream and crying and clutching their loved ones and oh god aaaaagh

prv8714_pg4.jpg

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    'tacheriffic!

Solar on