As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Feminism [chat]

• Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I made the mistake of not bringing my DS to work and now I have to entertain myself for an hour and a half.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I made the mistake of not bringing my DS to work and now I have to entertain myself for an hour and a half.

show some initiative and go rob a bank and set up a retirement fund

tyrannus on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Somebody turned the thermostat up to "sweltering" :( This is unpleasant.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pony wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »
    Like all feminist jargon. Sheez.

I'm sorry give me a piece of feminist jargon that isn't over-used and detached from it's original meaning due to usage deviation and shit.

you could do this with any non-technical jargon, and a lot of technical jargon too

and a lot of words that aren't jargon

Evil Multifarious on
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    That makes so much more sense when Pony types it.

Ponysplaining.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I hope my live friends didn't get spoiled on DA 2 from seeing the minimal descriptions of where I was at.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    oh man i love dylan moran

Evil Multifarious on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    Nah, the original term came from an LA Times article in which a female non-fiction author described how she was at a party once with a dude who decided to hold forth on the topic of her professional field, and then proceeded to recommend a book to her.

only she was the author of the book, and it took quite a while for him to get it through his head that he was misexplaining the woman's own book to her.

Its a rather good article. You should read it, Pony.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited March 2011

I'm sorry give me a piece of feminist jargon that isn't over-used and detached from it's original meaning due to usage deviation and shit.

you could do this with any non-technical jargon, and a lot of technical jargon too

So it takes the teeth out of Pony's statement, but the truth remains. Although I suppose he would appear biased in choosing to single out "feminist jargon"

PONY Y U HATIN'?

wazilla on
    edited March 2011

this happens a lot with business words, but as a whole business words are kinda silly.

QUICKLY, THROW ACRONYMS AROUND

tyrannus on
    edited March 2011
    They have a test for that in Ireland now: the Madonna / Whore quotient of a woman. When a woman puts her hands together to pray and when she's crying the blood and she levitates if you don't get a sustained hum in A-flat she's a fucking whore!

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited March 2011
    tyrannus wrote: »

this happens a lot with business words, but as a whole business words are kinda silly.

QUICKLY, THROW ACRONYMS AROUND

That paradigm has shifted.

wazilla on
  • Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thanks for the standup!

Niceguy Myeye on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    An issue I have with modern feminism is it uses jargon that often comes from an angrier, more hostile era of feminism and basically goes out of its way to be as in-your-face and undiplomatic as it can be.

There's a reason why feminist threads on non-feminist forums descend into arguments about terms like "rape culture" and "the patriarchy".

It's not because these terms don't describe real social and cultural phenomenon.

It's that they piss people off.

Pony on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I climbed outside today

I am fucking trashed

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited March 2011
    Also no spoiler but for anyone playing DA 2, specializations in the game are not learned or bought like in Dragons Age Origins, when you get a point to learn a specialization (at level 7 and 14) you can put it in and unlock the tree automatically. I didn't learn this till I was way way late in the game.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited March 2011
    An issue I have with modern feminism is it uses jargon that often comes from an angrier, more hostile era of feminism and basically goes out of its way to be as in-your-face and undiplomatic as it can be.

There's a reason why feminist threads on non-feminist forums descend into arguments about terms like "rape culture" and "the patriarchy".

It's not because these terms don't describe real social and cultural phenomenon.

Oh, I'm so sorry Pony, we'll make sure to be nice ladies next time we talk about this

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Preacher wrote: »
    Also no spoiler but for anyone playing DA 2, specializations in the game are not learned or bought like in Dragons Age Origins, when you get a point to learn a specialization (at level 7 and 14) you can put it in and unlock the tree automatically. I didn't learn this till I was way way late in the game.

aw :( I liked the way blood mage unlocked in DA:O

tyrannus on
    edited March 2011
    They have a test for that in Ireland now: the Madonna / Whore quotient of a woman. When a woman puts her hands together to pray and when she's crying the blood and she levitates if you don't get a sustained hum in A-flat she's a fucking whore!

hahaha, which show is that from? I have three of his dvd's, but I don't remember that line.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited March 2011
    tyrannus on
    edited March 2011
    The Cat wrote: »

hahaha, which show is that from? I have three of his dvd's, but I don't remember that line.

That's from "What It Is". The show is on youtube if you are interested (I linked the first part on the last page).

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited March 2011
    Preacher wrote: »

aw :( I liked the way blood mage unlocked in DA:O

I could see that, but then again first time through playing Origins I missed out on a lot of the ones you couldn't simply buy. Though I didn't do much better in DA2 obviously!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I'm sorry Pony, we'll turn down our explanations of real-world issues and moderate our words so you can be happy

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Oh, I'm so sorry Pony, we'll make sure to be nice ladies next time we talk about this

And there you go.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited March 2011

I'm sorry Pony, we'll turn down our explanations of real-world issues and moderate our words so you can be happy

Hey, you can do things your way if you like, and in doing so, you will find some success.

But, it would not kill you or take away from your causes in any way to attempt to be a little more diplomatic.

I know that you, personally, have argued just the opposite before Arivia so you and I will probably have to agree to disagree on the whole "diplomacy" thing.

Pony on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    hey bros

Rent on
    edited March 2011

Holy crap, that photo is gorgeous :o

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, Pony sure was making an unreasonable point there... cautioning people against the use of hyperbolic rhetoric as a way to foster healthy discussion about issues.

I'm glad Cat and Arivia put him in his place.

wazilla on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    When attempting to convince someone my viewpoint is a valid and good one I know I always go the in-their-face asshole route

Works every time, it does

HappylilElf on
    edited March 2011

Hey, you can do things your way if you like, and in doing so, you will find some success.

But, it would not kill you or take away from your causes in any way to attempt to be a little more diplomatic.

I know that you, personally, have argued just the opposite before Arivia so you and I will probably have to agree to disagree on the whole "diplomacy" thing.

your position is frankly ridiculous and borders on concern trolling, and you need to read the link I dropped on the last page.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Argued the opposite before? Wha?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    edited March 2011
    wazilla wrote: »
    Yeah, Pony sure was making an unreasonable point there... cautioning people against the use of hyperbolic rhetoric as a way to foster healthy discussion about issues.

So using the word "patriarchy" is "hyperbolic rhetoric", is it?

Back in your corner, thanks.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey everyone chill out and listen to
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0rvuaDPJgo
    I love that song and always will.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited March 2011

I feel that hyperbolic rhetoric inevitably ends up making the argument about the rhetoric itself instead of the message behind it.

And when that happens, people stop listening.

Gender issues threads get derailed this way all the motherfucking time because people end up taking affront to how things are being said instead of what is being said.

I get frequently criticized for being too abrasive and harsh in points I am making, and I feel there's some truth to that and I've made no small effort to be a little more diplomatic and

as a result

people listen to me more instead of getting fussed up about how I'm saying shit.

Pony on
    edited March 2011

So using the word "patriarchy" is "hyperbolic rhetoric", is it?

Back in your corner, thanks.

"rape culture"

wazilla on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You know Cat, maybe it seems like trolling to you but it sort of rankles men when we're treating like potential rapists by virtue of having a penis.

So the kind of rhetoric that the more extreme feminists use can kindly fuck off, we'll work with the ones who don't see half the population as someone they're at war with.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    it appears Arivia and The Cat are taking language composition lessons from Rust

Captain Carrot on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    oh boy I was going to like this chat :c

Antimatter on
    edited March 2011

Edit: dammit cat stop making my posts just before me

@wazilla: is a thing that is actively perpetrated?

Edit2: I'm sorry Pony, I don't see a meaningful conversation as something that needs to stop because a white man "got his panties in a bunch." (it's funny how many of those images we have for women and how few for men.)

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.