As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Feminism [chat]

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i seriously feel like i'm going to suffocate on my rage right now

i would have decked him if he weren't in a car

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I can think of things I would like to see happen to them more than just simple choking.

I don't know where you'd find a golf cart, thumb screws, large piece of tarp or a wolverine at this hour though.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    dang, cass, I'm sorry that happened :(

:(

Rent on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    The Cat wrote: »
    You know Cat, maybe it seems like trolling to you but it sort of rankles men when we're treating like potential rapists by virtue of having a penis.

So the kind of rhetoric that the more extreme feminists use can kindly fuck off, we'll work with the ones who don't see half the population as someone they're at war with.

You and the fellow above you also need to read that article.

Failing to understand that term, when its been explained on this forum over and over, marks you only as not paying attention, or as wilfully sabotaging the conversation. You don't have a legitimate claim to offense here, all you're doing is re-posting a false definition of that term and acting like its the truth.

I'm not, and have not, spoken about any single word. Only tone. Do you seriously not think your rhetoric might be off when even a bunch of guys who are ardent feminists can't stand the things you say?

I question the size of your 'bunch of guys', and question how ardent they really are if a sharply worded sentence is enough to change their political leanings.

If you're a woman in a conversation about feminism, a large number of people will automatically interpret your words as though they are said in anger no matter what you type. Even when you're making jokes, they see rage. I have no ability to control that, and consider it futile to try.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    Pony wrote: »
    The Cat wrote: »
    You know why I'm opposing you on this, Pony? Because I've tried polite and nice before, and it makes not a bit of difference. Not at all. There's always always some fucking asshole who's looking for a fight and who will twist your words into BOO HOO WHY ARE YOU SO MEAN no matter what you type.

So I save my energy, and retain my right to participate in vigorous debate without policing myself into silence. I flat out do not care if you object to that, because your objections are an unreasonable set of expectations and don't even help in the end.

I find that unfortunate but understandable!

let's not fight

you and i agree on far more important things than the things we disagree on

:^:

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    FUCKING ASSHOLES

My mom took me out to dinner, but I wasn't that hungry so I bounced early with a takeout container

on the walk back to my place this fucking piece of shit drives next to me with his car, shouting all the things he wants to do to my body, while his buddies laugh in the back

When I finally manage to get out of the parking lot they turn into the drive thru and yell 'whore' after me

i hope they fucking choke

Or die in a fiery car accident.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i seriously feel like i'm going to suffocate on my rage right now

i would have decked him if he weren't in a car

fuck yeah

feel your anger

yesssss, my apprentice

i look forward to wednesday

Pony on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm going to take a shower and i'm home alone so I'm going to yell as I wash my hair and see if I feel any better

• Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    [chat] stop fighting already. It's Friday. The lord's day...wait.

It's Friday. The day to get shitty drunk.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I did the bow thing for DA: O because of my item hoarding irrationality.

Now, I surely wasn't going to sell all those shitty arrows I looted. I had to use them. I don't think for once that it was a viable strategy.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I question the size of your 'bunch of guys', and question how ardent they really are if a sharply worded sentence is enough to change their political leanings.

I was talking about this group of men right here on this board. Rent, myself, Pony. We're all feminists and the rhetoric you use is just stupidly fucking offensive to men for no god damn gain.

Sorry I get upset when in your desire to improve the lot of women you and others engage in what is borderline sexism. But its bullshit of the highest order to suggest that if men get offended by shit like "rape culture" means we're just not feminist enough for you.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Anyway, with that, I'm out.

Work day is over and its my birthday.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My youngest brother does all he can to skip dialogue in games. Will play an entire RPG without reading more quest log than he has to in order to get to the next boss or whatever.

Drives

me

crazy

TL DR on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Technicially it's Yahwehs day starting at sundown (ancient Israel used a system where the day ends / begins at sundown rather than midnight, so the Sabbath is sundown Friday through sundown Saturday).

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I was talking about this group of men right here on this board. Rent, myself, Pony. We're all feminists and the rhetoric you use is just stupidly fucking offensive to men for no god damn gain.

Sorry I get upset when in your desire to improve the lot of women you and others engage in what is borderline sexism. But its bullshit of the highest order to suggest that if men get offended by shit like "rape culture" means we're just not feminist enough for you.

whoa hey now

i do not identify as a feminist

if you do, that's okay

but i do not

Pony on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Technicially it's Yahwehs day starting at sundown (ancient Israel used a system where the day ends / begins at sundown rather than midnight, so the Sabbath is sundown Friday through sundown Saturday).

Hey man I was raised Catholic.

Stop trying to push your religion on me, bro.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    i would not consider myself a feminist

I honestly don't give a shit about feminism

like i'm not trying to shit-talk it or anything

but i have no opinion about feminism for or against nor have an inclination to learn, from what little i've read of shakesville

so don't get it twisted

my opinion is not as a feminist

but as a dude who considers everyone on the forum a bro and just wish we could be more cool to each other and get less angry over the interbutts because, and this is HUGELY important, it doesn't fucking change anything at all so calm down

Rent on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My youngest brother does all he can to skip dialogue in games. Will play an entire RPG without reading more quest log than he has to in order to get to the next boss or whatever.

Drives

me

crazy

I blame WoW

tyrannus on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    happy birthday styro!

also to echo the cat's note, the bit about mansplaining was a joke pony.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dammit nerd girl who works at Gamestop, I'll never be able to hit on you because I'm pretty sure 90% of the guys who shop there have done the same and it has made you hard and cold to even my amazing hotness.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You can sub me in for Rent and Pony, Sammich, but this argument has largely ended, so eh.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Drives

me

crazy

Sometimes I accidentally skip a piece of dialog and can't go back to read it and it's so annoying.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

whoa hey now

if you do, that's okay

but i do not

Think he's talking more about the views you hold and have put forth in the past than any official association/identification.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wait, why would you say you aren't a feminist?

I mean, I get that if someone asks "Who/what are you?", you may not mention feminism explicitly. But what about feminism do you specifically disagree with, that would make the term not apply to you?

TL DR on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    tyrannus wrote: »

Drives

me

crazy

I blame WoW

I knew people who did that on the early Might and Magic or gold box SSI D&D games (EG: Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds etc...)

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Arivia wrote: »
    happy birthday styro!

also to echo the cat's note, the bit about mansplaining was a joke pony.

well it's a joke that i get tossed in my face a lot as not a joke so i react poorly to it!

surely you, of all people, understand this notion

Pony on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    FUCKING ASSHOLES

My mom took me out to dinner, but I wasn't that hungry so I bounced early with a takeout container

on the walk back to my place this fucking piece of shit drives next to me with his car, shouting all the things he wants to do to my body, while his buddies laugh in the back

When I finally manage to get out of the parking lot they turn into the drive thru and yell 'whore' after me

what

the

fuck

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Kagera wrote: »
    Dammit nerd girl who works at Gamestop, I'll never be able to hit on you because I'm pretty sure 90% of the guys who shop there have done the same and it has made you hard and cold to even my amazing hotness.

just talk to her like you would anybody else

be cool

don't sperg out at her

and don't clumsily attempt to pick her up on your first meeting

establish a rapport as the 'nice normal guy who comes by occasionally' with her, then ask her out

not to hard bros

Rent on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

whoa hey now

if you do, that's okay

but i do not

Think he's talking more about the views you hold and have put forth in the past than any official association/identification.

i understand that but

it's not a label i want or am comfortable with having applied to me and i would rather people respect my wishes on that

it's not hard to not label people, so when they specifically ask you not to, let's not!

Pony on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I mean, I get that if someone asks "Who/what are you?", you may not mention feminism explicitly. But what about feminism do you specifically disagree with, that would make the term not apply to you?

Perhaps it's like people who don't identify as atheist because of all the loaded bullshit that comes with the term?

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    tyrannus wrote: »

Drives

me

crazy

I blame WoW

I knew people who did that on the early Might and Magic or gold box SSI D&D games (EG: Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds etc...)

I actually blame Everquest.

Beacuse for a game with quest in the name that shit was pretty god damned devoid of quests so it really just trained you to grind away.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    FUCKING ASSHOLES

I'm always surprised that stuff like this happens. Like, I really have trouble understanding why people act this way.

Part of me worries that I should understand this, and part of me is glad that I'm always surprised. :?

mrflippy on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

from what little i've read of shakesville, again, it destroys any semblance of interest in feminism that i gain from time to time

plus i don't see the point. 'treat everyone equally'? i already do that

Rent on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Kagera wrote: »

Perhaps it's like people who don't identify as atheist because of all the loaded bullshit that comes with the term?

Obviously I can't answer for either of them but I have a feeling you've done the nail head hitting thing here

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I know some people call themselves "Equalists" instead of "Feminists" because they feel Feminism is about putting women (womyn?) above men. I don't know where they got that from though.

I typically feel out of place in feminist conversation anyways so I just watch.

Mim on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    a post about feminist rhetoric:

i used to get really mad at posts. i still do. i would fucking rage out at the rape apologists and misogynists and write really rude posts and approach my position as such a universal given and i was in the right and everyone else was an asshole standing in the way of me being happy

and now i've calmed down somewhat. i still rage. i just don't rage in posts. i try to talk about my experiences and lend my view to things.

i still get so mad sometimes, but i keep it in [chat] or i keep it to myself. i try to be diplomatic.

have i convinced any mras or rape apologists or misogynists

no not really

but a lot of women have contacted me saying, i'm a survivor too

or i need someone to talk to or i need help

or men have contacted me saying my sister was raped, my friend was raped

or even just i was an asshole and i feel like a dick now, thanks for that

i mean its not like dozens of people have come forward

but enough that i feel like i'm doing something productive

as for my rage, i stood in my shower and was like FUCK YOU STEAM, YOU THINK YOU'RE SO GREAT

YOU THINK YOU'RE A BOSS, HOT WATER?

FUCK ALLA Y'ALL

and then i started laughing and things were ok!

• Options
    edited March 2011
    From intertubes brotherly love to feminism to nerd dating...

Rent is passing out info left and right this evening, bros.

You should be paying a cover for this shit.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    cass you are ridiculous

bashing steam? the games are so cheap!

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Elldren wrote: »
    FUCKING ASSHOLES

what

the

fuck

This is so surreal to me. Who the fuck does something like this?

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    cass you are ridiculous

bashing steam? the games are so cheap!

It's hot stuff!

mrflippy on
This discussion has been closed.