As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Feminism [chat]

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wait, why would you say you aren't a feminist?

I mean, I get that if someone asks "Who/what are you?", you may not mention feminism explicitly. But what about feminism do you specifically disagree with, that would make the term not apply to you?

i'm not a huge fan of self-identifying myself by labels.

if you notice, while i talk about things like my political viewpoints, my religious beliefs, my ethical stances, sexual orientation, etc. without really much hesitation

rarely do i identify such things with labels

it's not because labels for such things do not exist or do not apply to me

it's that those labels that would likely, in my opinion, best describe those things are also ones that are generally contentious and carry a lot of prejudices and misinformation.

and to be quite frank i'm not interested in a discussion on say, my political views, being bogged down by me first explaining what i mean when i say i am this or that.

instead i just say what i believe and allow those views to be argued with on their own legs

the only labels i readily identify myself with are ones that are either obvious and non-contentious (i am white, and male, and Canadian!) or facetious and sort of a gag (nerd or bro)

Pony on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    a post about feminist rhetoric:

i used to get really mad at posts. i still do. i would fucking rage out at the rape apologists and misogynists and write really rude posts and approach my position as such a universal given and i was in the right and everyone else was an asshole standing in the way of me being happy

and now i've calmed down somewhat. i still rage. i just don't rage in posts. i try to talk about my experiences and lend my view to things.

i still get so mad sometimes, but i keep it in [chat] or i keep it to myself. i try to be diplomatic.

have i convinced any mras or rape apologists or misogynists

no not really

but a lot of women have contacted me saying, i'm a survivor too

or i need someone to talk to or i need help

or men have contacted me saying my sister was raped, my friend was raped

or even just i was an asshole and i feel like a dick now, thanks for that

i mean its not like dozens of people have come forward

but enough that i feel like i'm doing something productive

as for my rage, i stood in my shower and was like FUCK YOU STEAM, YOU THINK YOU'RE SO GREAT

YOU THINK YOU'RE A BOSS, HOT WATER?

FUCK ALLA Y'ALL

and then i started laughing and things were ok!

<3

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That's the ultimate human shopping list: "I'd like some illegal, some forbidden, some frowned upon and some downright disgusting please."

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    From intertubes brotherly love to feminism to nerd dating...

Rent is passing out info left and right this evening, bros.

You should be paying a cover for this shit.

who has two thumbs and is totes baller

the-fonz.jpgthis guy

Rent on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pony wrote: »
    Wait, why would you say you aren't a feminist?

I mean, I get that if someone asks "Who/what are you?", you may not mention feminism explicitly. But what about feminism do you specifically disagree with, that would make the term not apply to you?

if you notice, while i talk about things like my political viewpoints, my religious beliefs, my ethical stances, sexual orientation, etc. without really much hesitation
    OH WE'VE NOTICED ALRIGHT

tyrannus on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    there was once a thread about street harassment and i shared some stories, including the time a dude tried to get me into his car in the stairwell of my own building

and a few people were like 'yeah but that's so extreme that can't happen to all women right'

and a few people were like 'anecdotal evidence lol'

and i was annoyed

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    With the quest text thing, I've found myself doing it a lot less once I started playing MMO's that used questing for xp.

Basically, when I was in a group of people (my friends), I'd feel like a wang for making them wait for the minute I took to read the quest. It's not like I felt particularly rewarded for reading it and MMO's do pound risk versus reward into your head.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    rent

I present your greatest challenge yet

should I purchase Pokemon Black or White?
    I have never been able to pay attention to anything Poke-related, though I have tried

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I didnt think heckling and cat-calling were a thing that existed. Neither myself nor anyone that I know personally has ever catcalled.

Well, I catcalled once. I was really drunk and outside a party and there were all these girls and bros walking by.

I shouted things like:

"Have a safe night.", "Enjoy your evening." and "Make good decisions."

I dont think I did it right.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Elldren wrote: »
    FUCKING ASSHOLES

My mom took me out to dinner, but I wasn't that hungry so I bounced early with a takeout container

on the walk back to my place this fucking piece of shit drives next to me with his car, shouting all the things he wants to do to my body, while his buddies laugh in the back

When I finally manage to get out of the parking lot they turn into the drive thru and yell 'whore' after me

i hope they fucking choke

what

the

fuck

This is so surreal to me. Who the fuck does something like this?

Me too

this sort of random asshole stranger-interaction isn't something that is part of my experience, at all.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rent wrote: »
    From intertubes brotherly love to feminism to nerd dating...

Rent is passing out info left and right this evening, bros.

You should be paying a cover for this shit.

who has two thumbs and is totes baller

eyy.jpgthis guy

mrflippy on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    pokemon white probably

you have access to more of the pokeymanz and the cooler legendary

Rent on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I stopped reading quest text when stuff was more or less "go pick up 5 bear assholes".

And I'd explore around the area where the bears were and I found nothing of any real interest. It was almost like they wanted me to go out with a single purpose

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    flippy you sly son of a bitch

Rent on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I didnt think heckling and cat-calling were a thing that existed. Neither myself nor anyone that I know personally has ever catcalled.

Well, I catcalled once. I was really drunk and outside a party and there were all these girls and bros walking by.

I shouted things like:

"I'd like to discuss literature with you"

"You should meet my mother"

"Let's have a nice dinner at Red Lobster"

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I shouted things like:

i have literally seen this happen

i've told this story before, and it got sent to the awesome posts forum

Pony on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    There was a threesome going on in my truck last night. NOT THE BEST THING TO HAPPEN WHILE DRIVING.
    I didn't get involved, the participants were far too plastered for me to be comfortable even THINKING of joining in on a grey area of consent that was. Oh well!

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    anyways of all the gens pokemon b/w is probs the best, it has a fantastic interface, fucking amazing music, and an actual story (which imo is p good)

plus great pokes

so yeah pokemon black or white. again, probably white because it gives you more pokemon to access and such

Rent on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    oh goodness, new Red Orchestra 2 videos. http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gdc-11-red-orchestra/711635

a good day

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Kagera wrote: »
    There was a threesome going on in my truck last night. NOT THE BEST THING TO HAPPEN WHILE DRIVING.
    I didn't get involved, the participants were far too plastered for me to be comfortable even THINKING of joining in on a grey area of consent that was. Oh well!

Approach Gamestop girl and lead with this story.

It is a surefire win.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Kagera wrote: »

ahahahahaha what

Rent on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    there was once a thread about street harassment and i shared some stories, including the time a dude tried to get me into his car in the stairwell of my own building

and a few people were like 'yeah but that's so extreme that can't happen to all women right'

and i was annoyed

It doesn't happen to me. I've never been harassed on the street.

Then again the only time I'm even on a street I'm in a vehicle.

It just seems so alien and weird and it makes me mad and question why anyone would subject another person to that and how anyone would even think that it is acceptable behavior.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rent wrote: »
    anyways of all the gens pokemon b/w is probs the best, it has a fantastic interface, fucking amazing music, and an actual story (which imo is p good)

plus great pokes

so yeah pokemon black or white. again, probably white because it gives you more pokemon to access and such

why does black have less pokemon?

is japan racist?

Daxon on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man having a threesome was awesome until it turned out that biting hard was on the menu.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This "secret millionaire" show is horribly offensive.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    the girl I am with now is really into biting. like, a bit too much

tyrannus on
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Bears are assholes. Colbert is so right.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

and i was annoyed

It just seems so alien and weird and it makes me mad and question why anyone would subject another person to that and how anyone would even think that it is acceptable behavior.

it's remarkably easy to do things to people when you don't really see them as people

Pony on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I shouted things like:

yup

I was, in fact, inexpertly quoting that story from memory

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

In which particular way?

I thought it was horrendous when it was going on here in Britland. If a millionaire wants to donate cash - they just should instead of making a big show out of it.

Fucking unclassy rich.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I shouted things like:

The only other good catcall story I have is not so much a catcall and more a heckling.

I was driving on Venice Blvd near the boardwalk, where there are usually character performers, potsmokers, street performers hanging around.

I was at a red light when I heard "Hey! Spiderman!" Liking spiderman, I looked around to see some goof in a costume. Only there was no one there. Eventually I looked at the car next to me.

There were 3 thirteen year old black kids pointing and laughing at me. For the duration of the red light it was:

"Hey Spiderman!"

"Peter Parker! Peter Parker!"

"Check out Peter Parker! Hey Spiderman!"

Im a white guy with glasses.

I started laughing and drove away.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    You know what a great show was? Joe Schmoe or something like that? Something like that? It was this one where it mixed together all these reality show tropes but it was all fake and the host was basically playing them like a fiddle? I can't remember what the end goal of playing them was except to make them look like idiots. And in the second season a girl figured it out and the producers approached her and got her in on the plan?

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Man having a threesome was awesome until it turned out that biting hard was on the menu.

Did you scold her afterwards and tell her no no don't leave toothmarks on my junk?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited March 2011

But DK rich people don't live the same way as poor people! They don't get it!

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've run into the street harrassment thing a few times. Usually it's just teenagers being little pricks and yelling generic insults. There was one time where it was a party bus with drunk women yelling out the windows though.

That was weird. No so much because it was women but because what they were yelling was so wildy inconsistent. The combination of generic insults and sexual offers just kinda made me do that confused dog thing.

Man just thinking about that confuses me all over again.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    also everyone download this ep

EVERYONE

Rent on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My only experience with people shouting things on the street was when I was driving my brother around back in college, and one of his asshole friends yelled something at a guy walking on the street and then the guy came up to the car at a stoplight and kicked the car window in.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

and i was annoyed

it's remarkably easy to do things to people when you don't really see them as people

Even then it would just be unseemly. A respectable person wouldn't catcall a dog.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Did you scold her afterwards and tell her no no don't leave toothmarks on my junk?

I was like "Ow! Please stop it!"

And she was like "No you'll like it just give yourself some time to get used to it my fiancee loves it"

and then I had to wear bandaids on my nipples for a while because they hurt so bad and cloth irritated it further

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I want to hug or cuddle or something

friiiig

Antimatter on
This discussion has been closed.