As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

D&D Scenarios That Test Alignment

JohnJohnstoneVJohnJohnstoneV Registered User new member
edited March 2011 in Critical Failures
Hey guys

A big short coming with many games is the lack of moral challenges to the player characters alignment. I can think of a few off the top of my head, but I could always do with a few more in my back pocket. With this in mind I've started this thread.

-A group of villains attack the group. Amongst the group of villains is a young child soldier fighting alongside his evil parent.

-A rich bar patron was passed out drunk, and has left his pouch unattended.

-After vanquishing a group of bandits, the players find an expensive magic item which resembles a family heirloom stolen belonging to the bartender weeks earlier.

-An evil sorceress needs to be stopped, but she is pregnant and due at any moment.

Do you guys have any other ideas?

If you game, check out my movie at http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=A0D8C521295BB4B6

If I can make a success of this movie, I can hopefully move out of my mom's basement.
JohnJohnstoneV on

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    - A group of bandits/freedom fighters are about to launch an attack on a corrupt city council to liberate their city, but the ensuing battle will kill thousands of innocent people.

- A necromancer is desecrating a necropolis filled with the honored dead, building an army to defend the living against an orcish horde.

- A woman with horrific memories has been charmed and is now in love with a sorcerer who wants to keep her captive, but the terrible memories are gone and she seem happy for the first time in her life.

- The water source for a desert village is a trapped water elemental genie, who was innocent of any crime and tricked into serving as the source of water for the village. This happened hundreds of year ago and the genie is in constant pain. The players just got an amulet which can free her, but the village and it's rich fields will fail, causing famine not just here but in nearby villages.

Edit: Also it's not always what someone does but why they do it that really tells what their morality is. That's why I generally prefer a motivation system instead of raw alignment, though D&D seems very reliant on black and white morality.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    D&D is only as black and white as the DM wants it to be. The fluff tends to lean in that direction, but there's no reason any particular game needs to.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    See, I like the choices that are "pick the lesser evil" types. You know you are going to hate it but you still have to pick it. Like in one game I played, there was a King who was greedy, taxed the people to death, but it paid for a grand army that protected the lands from a necromancer king next to this kingdom. He never told the people about the Necro King, and played off the rumors as such. Then there was the rebellion forces who wanted to overthrow the king. They were short-goal people who had no plans afterward about ruling the kingdom and protecting the people. They were going to get rid of the high taxes and "save the people". This choice was hard for us as keeping the king in would mean that the people suffered a heavy tax, but would live and not get wiped out from the Necro King that at the time our group still didn't know if he was real. (P.S He wasn't. It was his soul that infected a statue of him that was underwater and was turning those who drink of the water into undead soldiers.) But at the same time, we could risk it and say that the Necromancer was just a myth and help the rebellion, bring a peace to the people but have it last until either the Necromancer marched his army in or another kingdom decides to take us over.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah I'd be really careful pulling "ARE YOU WILLING TO KILL BABIES?" type moral shit in D&D.

Because more of than not it's bullshit and it's totally arbitrary and adds nothing to the game.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    JohnJohnstoneVJohnJohnstoneV Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    Yeah I'd be really careful pulling "ARE YOU WILLING TO KILL BABIES?" type moral shit in D&D.

Because more of than not it's bullshit and it's totally arbitrary and adds nothing to the game.

I would have to disagree on that part. What alignment tests do is act as role playing baits, so that the players do not just spend the whole game roll playing. A hard decision will result in the players disagreeing on a solution and having to role play out a solution to it. In my mindset these alignment tests would directly affect gameplay. Even in a door kicking dungeon crawl style game, having to take a child soldier alive so that he can perhaps be rehabilitated directly affects any encounter, as you now have a prisoner to protect.

JohnJohnstoneV on
    If you game, check out my movie at http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=A0D8C521295BB4B6

If I can make a success of this movie, I can hopefully move out of my mom's basement.
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    In a door kicking dungeon crawl style game, if you decide to throw in shit like child soldiers and pregnant villains, I'm going to kick you squarely in the balls and leave.

Also, the role playing not roll playing thing is retarded and not clever.

Edit: Or I'd kill the pregnant villain and/or child soldier and when you try to argue about changing my alignment for it I'd let the game devolve into a stupid alignment argument and watch it crush everyone's soul the way all alignment discussions do and end the game that way.

In the aftermath, I'd tell you that you're stupid and a liar for telling me we were playing "a door-kicking dungeon crawl" and instead forcing the players to not only try to make decisions that are incredibly difficult and impossible to come to a consensus on in real life, but also trying to take those same impossible to define moral situations and force them to fit into a nine-box grid.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    UnsaltedUnsalted Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    In a door kicking dungeon crawl style game, if you decide to throw in shit like child soldiers and pregnant villains, I'm going to kick you squarely in the balls and leave.

To be honest, I cant think of a better way to put it.

There are other ways.

That reward money? It was the towns taxes for the last 10 years. Now they will never finish that well. You have doomed the town. They will have to move.

Unsalted on
  • Options
    daniantdaniant Columbus, OhioRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I agree with INNS about things like babies.

Here are some scenarios I have recently encountered in a game I play in with a DM that loves morality choices:

A character who is a good married man and who believes that adultery is completely immoral lands his ship on a island that happens to be inhabited by Amazons. The women ask him to surrender himself for a week to increase the population. In exchange they will give him gold and their boy children that they will be forced to sacrifice if they remain, since no men can live on the island.

Two human characters visit a yuan-ti asking for information. They agree to share a meal with him for information. Once inside, knowing that being inhospitable might lead to their deaths and the deaths of their other party members, they are informed that the stew they are eating contains human meat.

BTW, whatever decision we make, the DM never changes our alignment. Only a series of decisions we make without being railroaded into them that lead in a certain alignment direction causes the DM to say, "Hey, your alignment might be moving in a certain direction. Make sure that's what you want to do."

daniant on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Unsalted wrote: »
    That reward money? It was the towns taxes for the last 10 years. Now they will never finish that well. You have doomed the town. They will have to move.

See, now that is an excellent example of a dubious element to be included in a game. Parties with a face character are always trying to weedle extra cash out of tiny villages, turns out that the reason the village said 100gp is because they are a poor commune of farmers. Sure, maybe they could stretch to 150gp, but next time the players pass through, it's mostly abandoned farms suffering from drought.

Generally, alignment is a pain and you'd do best to ignore it. Have tough choices in game by all means, but steer clear of the boring mire that is trying to work out if it's okay for the LG Paladin to go along with a pragmatic but slightly unseemly course of action that the CN rogue, CG cleric and N Wizard all agree on.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Alignment is pretty annoying... my own opinion. I'm not sure why you would want to test it other than to say to the player "you picked incorrectly". I mean unless they are heavily invested in their choice. And I think you would have to have set that type of game up from the onset. *This would be more rewarding I could see in like an instance of a Paladin questioning his beliefs or some such.

Introducing these elements when the players aren't expecting it isn't a good thing. As others have said.

I think it's perfectly fine to explore moral conundrums and such as long as the players know what they are in for. Personally I think the sorceress think is a bit squick.. Though I mean some Italian Horror movies and Clive Barker have gone there. So if you have that type of crowd.

And child soldiers you have dark fantasy like Berserk and such. I mean as long as the players know what they are in for and up for it.

My own opinion situations like these...are ok to through in as long as the player doesn't have to directly confront them. I think it's a bit too sadistic. I'm sure there is audience for it. If you played the original Dragon Age they did a pretty decent job of having the player see shady stuff but not have the player directly... let me put it this way have to actually really dirty their hands in the sick stuff.

Egos on