As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Starcraft 2: Patch 1.3 on SEA! Notes on Page 93 (too long for OP)

• Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah I keep forgetting how all in I need to be with this build.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    tQDanTe, 3.6k Master league Random player, is coaching a few people for a few hours.

Dude's also hopped up on cough meds, :P

http://www.justin.tv/tQfighting#/w/962628832

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    planetary fortress in main+PF rush against proxy zealot/cannon rush.

I'm assuming that is bronze, because that combination of tactics is pretty darn awesome, while also being really bad :P.

Frozenzen on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I played against some guy who turtled hardcore and then snuck PFs against my outlying expos.

I actually, in the heat of the moment, told him that was "retarded".

Boy was my face red when he moved out with 200/200 of 3/3 thor/tank/marine. That was less stupid of him.

kedinik on
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's so awesome when someone insults you and then gets destroyed.

Having it done to you on the other hand is terrible. So terrible. And everyone really should watch the cheese video above.

Frozenzen on
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Peewi wrote: »
    I've discovered this series of videos When Cheese Fails 101 and I think it's pretty entertaining. I think the name is pretty descriptive. There's cheese and the cheesers lose.

Here's one of them

This is amazing.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    No I ended up beating him, but it was close.

He didn't get the memo where 2 vikings hard counter infinity broodlords.

So my 6 broodlords pretty much won the game.

kedinik on
  • Options
    StreltsyStreltsy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've discovered this series of videos When Cheese Fails 101 and I think it's pretty entertaining. I think the name is pretty descriptive. There's cheese and the cheesers lose.

Here's one of them

This is amazing.

Glorious series, I especially like it when the cheeser complains about imba/cheapness/cheese himself after he fails. :)

Watching episode 5 right now.

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • Options
    Enigma435Enigma435 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    There isn't enough lime for the awesomeness that is the proxy planetary fortress in response to cheese. I'd just sing my opponents praises if he pulled that off in response to my cheese.

Enigma435 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Streltsy wrote: »

Here's one of them

This is amazing.

Glorious series, I especially like it when the cheeser complains about imba/cheapness/cheese himself after he fails. :)

Episodes 3 and 8 are my favorites.

3 because the game is just awesome, and 8 because it's impossible not to crack up when you realize exactly what just happened.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I kinda wish that the game results screen showed what league people are in for that match. I frequently check it by looking at the player(s)'s profile(s), but it'd be convenient to have right in front of you when the match ends. I can understand why you aren't shown it before the match begins, though.

Peewi on
  • Options
    SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    A lot of people just ask for leagues up front at the beginning of games, but sometimes that can go horribly wrong.

Saaruto on
    If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
  • Options
    Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    as an addage im not sure why it takes so long to scroll between screens in bnet, its so slow and clunky

Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fizban140 wrote: »

Gas was a bit late.

You started your Core 20% later than him because you started a supply blocked zealot before dropping it.

You stopped making probes at 17, you need 20 (22 food total with the first zealot). You also only need 1 gas to 4gate. You shouldn't really need sentries to attack in a 4gate, you just want stalker/zealot.

So instead of 3 on gas and 17 on minerals, you are 4gating with 6 on gas and 11 on minerals. This was your major issue.

You need to get a second pylon close enough to his ramp that you can warp up onto high ground if he FF's you. edit: oh you did get one, but late, and he already had an immortal. Also you want it closer to the ramp so he has to work harder to shoot it. If you place it 1 square away from the base of the ramp, you can warp above an FF and it's really hard for him to hit.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    +14 points, even match!

That is, we thought you would probably lose if we had to put money on it.

But yeah you were pretty much the same as that guy.

kedinik on
  • Options
    ZuorZuor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    kedinik wrote: »
    I think NaDa gets too much SC2 credit on the strength of his Brood War background.

Seems to make bad decisions and get stomped when he faces strong opponents.

Pretty much the same situation as BoxeR.

Afaik NaDa doesn't really train that much, so no wonder really that he sometimes makes some bad decisions. He doesn't even live in the oGs house where all the others are playing and training together like crazy.

But anyway, NaDa is a true baller and always will be!

Zuor on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    as an addage im not sure why it takes so long to scroll between screens in bnet, its so slow and clunky

OH MY GOD THIS

i thought this was some horrible secret that no one talked about, or worse yet that I was the only one who had the issue

this is the worst thing

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Here's one of them

This is amazing.

Episodes 3 and 8 are my favorites.

3 because the game is just awesome, and 8 because it's impossible not to crack up when you realize exactly what just happened.

I just watched Episode 1.

The red player was fucking terrible. He did not deserve to beat that cheeser. He scouted the lack of buildings in his opponent's and didn't even make so much as a zealot, and not only that he went 1gate robo!

He beat that cheese mostly by fucking accident and partially because the cheesing player was even worse than him, he deserves no praise for that.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Variable wrote: »
    oh man

just got back from 'a night with day9 and husky'

I missed the liquid games but caught the q&a and group casting of the PA expo tourney finals with day, husky, wheat, incontrol, and jp

so funny
    Yeah it was pretty awesome. I think we know why you didn't win the tourney btw. You made something other than marines didn't you?

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    lol Dhal.

"This player is fucking shit, and the only reason he won is because the other guy is shittier shit."

I don't think there is a masters requirement for When Cheese Fails.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    That post was definitely vintage Dhal.

kedinik on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
  • Options
    PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    lol Dhal.

"This player is fucking shit, and the only reason he won is because the other guy is shittier shit."

a thousand times this.

PoolCue on
  • Options
    StreltsyStreltsy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The first episode is the only one where the cheeser actually looks to be the better player. Well actually I haven't watched episode 2.
    And most of the players are below diamond, so yeah. Still entertaining.

--

Also, Day[9] <3
    Wish I went to PAX. TT

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    PoolCue wrote: »
    lol Dhal.

a thousand times this.

hey i don't care if they want to put bad players up there

but don't be like

"OH HE'S HOLDING THIS OFF SO WELL" because he isn't he's just lucky his opponent is even worse than he is.

I mean four zealots walked into his base when he had NO zealots, not even one building, killed two pylons that didn't unpower anything, left the key pylon alone, then stood around for about 30 secs and allowed him to get out a zealot before going after the probes.

the only medal anyone should get for holding that off is a "congrats, you're not quite as fucking terrible as that guy" medal

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Here's one of them

This is amazing.

This show gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside.

marty_0001 on
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    lol Dhal.

a thousand times this.

but don't be like

"OH HE'S HOLDING THIS OFF SO WELL" because he isn't he's just lucky his opponent is even worse than he is.

I mean four zealots walked into his base when he had NO zealots, not even one building, killed two pylons that didn't unpower anything, left the key pylon alone, then stood around for about 30 secs and allowed him to get out a zealot before going after the probes.

the only medal anyone should get for holding that off is a "congrats, you're not quite as fucking terrible as that guy" medal

Then if that's how you have to think about those players in order to enjoy the cast, I'm sorry.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    damnit dhal its just sc2 comedy.

PoolCue on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    lol Dhal.

a thousand times this.

but don't be like

Then if that's how you have to think about those players in order to enjoy the cast, I'm sorry.

I can't actually enjoy the cast as it is there.

If the guys doing the video were more like "oh wow, so this guy's done this ridiculously terrible thing, but the other guy has done something MORE terrible and still held it off! This is ridiculously hilarious" in the style of our own Rumble in the Bronze, then that I would enjoy. But the way they act its as if these are two finely honed strategies clashing, and if they're doing this intentionally despite knowing how bad these players are, then thats a pretty silly presentation decision. And if they're not doing it intentionally then they don't know anything about Starcraft. Either way, its not that much fun.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I think they just assumed it was a ladder game and they were evenly matched players.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I think they just assumed it was a ladder game and they were evenly matched players.

that doesn't really have a whole lot of relevance to what we're talking about

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Well how bad they are doesn't matter so much, they are both equally bad and one failed at cheese.

I don't know, don't take the video so seriously :P

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Well how bad they are doesn't matter so much, they are both equally bad and one failed at cheese.

I don't know, don't take the video so seriously :P

The commentators sure appear to be taking it seriously. They were commentating that as if the players were actually legitimate players, and barely a mention was made of just how useless both of their strategies were.

The Rumble in the Bronze worked well and was hilarious because the casters made a HUGE joke out of all of the dumb things both players were doing. It was fantastic.

These videos, however, are just watching two terrible players bashing their faces against each other with a serious commentary as the backdrop. That's not fun. I can go to a replay site and download bronze replays if I want to see that shit.

The videos are entitled "When Cheese Fails". Thats the targeted aim of the videos. What they are instead showcasing is "When Both Players Fail But One Fails Slightly Harder". And everyone in the comments is always like "hahah ,those cheesers getting whats coming to them!"

Show some finely executed cheesing, with clutch holds due to barely scouting them in time. Then a serious commentary is well-placed. But you can't have serious commentary on a terrible Bronze game like that, its just fucking boring and pointless.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    wow grubby has a deep voice he sounds like ray romano

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    Walrus von ZeppelinWalrus von Zeppelin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The up and down matches coming up tonight look good. Did korea observe daylight savings today as well or will the time be different than usual?

Walrus von Zeppelin on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Korea does not do day light savings time, I think it is 14 hours now? From central that is, I can't remember, google and such.

Also I guess I just didn't take that video so seriously, I mean I think everyone knows that they are not top level players.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    hmm this might help out some zergs here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYVaxZWKs_U

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    man i just cannot get a solid build order off while scouting. one or the other but not both.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ask yourself this: "Why am I scouting?"

(hint: the answer is not "because I'm meant to be")

Seguer on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1