As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What's with the "squeeze in" line that the enforcers are running with?

Ice CrackerIce Cracker Registered User new member
edited March 2011 in PAX Archive
I'm standing in line for the closing cermonies and there's some fat asian chick on the power trip of a lifetime screeching/wailing at everyone to take up extrsa space and whatnot, despite the fact that there's unlimited room for the line to continue to stretch around the center. Going crotch to butt with the guy in front of me isn't my idea of a good time, why are they trying to force this so much?

Ice Cracker on

• Options
    RayzeRayze Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The enforcers were doing it but I found that the convention security was more vocal. I think it had something to do with a space thing and fitting as many people close together as possible

Rayze on
  • Options
    BrandonmillsBrandonmills Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    Lots of convention space went to waste this year. Hopefully they'll re-structure for next year.

Brandonmills on
  • Options
    DanUNGDanUNG Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rayze wrote: »
    I think it had something to do with a space thing and fitting as many people close together as possible

Exactly. I believe there are safety standards and fire codes that need to be followed, some of which includes making sure there is clear walking room at all times in halls, or making sure the lines don't cross.

Also, insulting someone in your original post is a good way to come across as an inconsiderate prick. Just sayin'.

DanUNG on
  • Options
    LimondLimond Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So someone volunteering there time for you and 69999 other people free of charge trying to make pax as it can and you get upset because you have to stand close to someone.

everyone sqeezes in so the line isnt circling around the whole floor and takes an hour to just get in the theatre.

and if you dont like it dont come back next year.

Limond on
    One clip, one kill.

I am a monster truck that walks like a man.
  • Options
    SepiothSepioth Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It was mostly fire code issues.

This was the BIGGEST event ever held by the Expo center. They seemed VERY diligant on making sure that a clear fire path was available at ALL times. Not only is this for our safety it is the law. I'm sure there where many people from code enforcement roaming the building. If these laws where not abided by then they could pull their license for next year or any year after that and there would never be a PAX East again.

As for the squishing it was because they where only allowed so much space for lines. Thats what was with all the tape on the floor. If people did not squish up then then no one else would be allowed in the queuing areas. If you went to PAX last year the same thing was done. Squishing more people into the small queue allowed more people to wait to get it the theatre. Once that queue area was full they stopped people from getting in line. The theatres held more people than would fit in the line if everyone claimed an area around them.

Sepioth on
    4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Lots of convention space went to waste this year. Hopefully they'll re-structure for next year.

Yeah, it was interesting. The place was definitely near capacity in areas and a ghost town in others. Often times I felt like I was walking through an airport. I'm not really sure what they can do about it though, since Hynes was really too small for the community and BCEC is too big for the exhibitors.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Yeah, it was interesting. The place was definitely near capacity in areas and a ghost town in others. Often times I felt like I was walking through an airport. I'm not really sure what they can do about it though, since Hynes was really too small for the community and BCEC is too big for the exhibitors.

I really think they could have taken up less space for the table-top area (or even just the tables outside the expo), and increased the size of the expo center. Not for more exhibitors, but for a bit more space between the booths.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    AlęxAlęx Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I really think they could have taken up less space for the table-top area (or even just the tables outside the expo), and increased the size of the expo center. Not for more exhibitors, but for a bit more space between the booths.

Exactly. They should have split the table-top areas into the varying rooms on levels 2 and 3, allowing for the two northern sectors (on level 0) to be dedicated to exhibitors.

Alęx on
    PAX East 2012 [ ]
    PAX East 2011 [ x ]
    PAX East 2010 [ x ]
  • Options
    cyntheticcynthetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Alęx wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Exactly. They should have split the table-top areas into the varying rooms on levels 2 and 3, allowing for the two northern sectors (on level 0) to be dedicated to exhibitors.

The table top area had a lot of people though, unlike the huge amount of emptiness that was often in the food court area at the very end. I had a hard time finding a table in the TT area many times, so I would very much not like to see it shrink, or move.
    I'm standing in line for the closing cermonies and there's some fat asian chick...

I want you to know that as soon as I read something like "fat asian chick" in a comment, I immediate lose all respect for you, and anything you have to say. Grow up.

cynthetic on
  • Options
    CaldvanCaldvan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If you are being asked to squish it is likely to make sure everyone can fit in the line space or to keep a clear walkway next to the line up area. I apologize if we sometimes come off as pushy, but we need to be loud to be heard.

Caldvan on
    [E]
  • Options
    SpiderSimianSpiderSimian Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rayze wrote: »
    The enforcers were doing it but I found that the convention security was more vocal. I think it had something to do with a space thing and fitting as many people close together as possible

It's for two reasons

- So that the line does not block ways of exit for fire code.

- So that it is easier to get accurate headcounts. Thats why they like it 4 deep and tight together, so they can count 4,8,12,16, etc.

Also, the closer you are together the faster overall you will all get into the panel and it will start, so they don't have to wait 5 mins for the last guy in line to get in.

SpiderSimian on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    there are reasons why some areas looked like ghost towns and looked unused. there's sevice hallways you don't know about. all the "unused rooms" were probably rooms for the enforcers, the guests like the keynote and the bands, the expo hall people, and interview areas.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm standing in line for the closing cermonies and there's some fat asian chick on the power trip of a lifetime screeching/wailing at everyone to take up extrsa space and whatnot, despite the fact that there's unlimited room for the line to continue to stretch around the center. Going crotch to butt with the guy in front of me isn't my idea of a good time, why are they trying to force this so much?

Wow.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
This discussion has been closed.