As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

When I'm rushing on my run And I feel just like Jesus' [CHAT]

• Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So... what is rotation? hahaha

NibCrom on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hahahahaha.

It's not her fault, probably.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    [braggart]

I saw Godspeed You Black Emperor last night. It was glorious.

[/braggart]

I just wish it had been a sitting show.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    [braggart]

[/braggart]

And I just heard EELS will be performing within a 45 minute drive from my house!!!!!
    But the ticket sales start on the day of my bachelor party and everyone i trust with a computer will be there, without internet connections... :/

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Independence Day aliens:

You've got faster-than-light travel, shields that laugh off our best attacks, and superior technology that's allowed you to crush countless civilizations underfoot.

But you've never heard of Norton Antivirus.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Norton doesn't protect against viruses that were written ten minutes ago.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    WELCOME TAH EARF

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The first thing I thought of when I saw the collector leader in Mass Effect 2 was the alien at that docking control station.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    LaliluleloLalilulelo Richmond, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Godfather wrote: »
    Independence Day aliens:

You've got faster-than-light travel, shields that laugh off our best attacks, and superior technology that's allowed you to crush countless civilizations underfoot.

But you've never heard of Norton Antivirus.

Shit, he probably uploaded Norton.

True Conversation Between my Copywriter and my Coworker

CopyWriter - “What is oil? Is it that black stuff that comes out of the ground?”
    Co Worker - “Yup”
    CopyWriter - “So who makes it?”
    Co Worker – “Nobody, it takes millions of years for the earth to turn something into oil”
    Copy Writer – “So what will they do when it runs out?”
    Co Worker – “Nothing can be done, this is why alternate renewable fuels is such an important topic”
    Copy Writer – “Oh, wow… do people know about this?”

5 Minutes later, my co-worker is reading the news paper and says “Huh, look at this. The earthquake in Japan was so strong that affected the rotation of the Earth”

She replies with “What is rotation?”

I am shocked at the level of ignorance of this human being. I am without words to describe how frustrating it is to have this black hole of knowledge work with me on every single project.

Tell her, "Rotation is what you do on my middle finger if you don't stop bothering me right now."
    Rotation is what they're doing with school children, apparently. How the fuck do these people get through school? They might as well be functional illiterates. All is forgiven if your Copy Writer is not a day over 6.

Lalilulelo on
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    [braggart]

[/braggart]

I don't know if glorious is the right word, but it was certainly an introspective take on the culture.

/reads next post

wait what

/googles

dude what

so apparently there is a band who i have never heard of who took the name of a film i have heard of and that was pretty sweet but now no one will ever know about because it doesn't show up until page 4 in a google search because of said band.

I mean, i cannot speak for wether the band is an good or not (presumably they are popular at least) but something just seems wrong here.

e: furthermore, the original film doesn't show up until page 9 of a google video search.

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    so apparently there is a band who i have never heard of who took the name of a film i have heard of and that was pretty sweet but now no one will ever know about because it doesn't show up until page 4 in a google search because of said band.

I mean, i cannot speak for wether the band is an good or not (presumably they are popular at least) but something just seems wrong here.

e: furthermore, the original film doesn't show up until page 9 of a google video search.

Its a pretty important band in the 'post-rock' genre. You should give it a listen. Its marked by slow build ups of sounds so my suggestion at first is to just put it on and try to forget about it. Start drawing or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsf2LoLk3SA

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    They're one of my favourite bands. :^:

But yeah, not exactly upbeat music:

Flay on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Godspeed is so good. And, presumeably, that movie got /more/ people interested in it due to the bands name. I know I never would have heard of it otherwise.

Also prismacolors are expensive. Thankgod I just needed black and grey

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    With that name I was expecting something rockin, and that is not rockin. Its not bad, but man I was like "Oh this is the build up to what must be the rockin" and then there was none. I was sad.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    No, they do the rocking at times too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta2-VXNIhH0

Like about 10:00 min in this song (its a bit before the rock so you get some of that sections build up.)

If i remember right it lessons after a bit, then builds back up even more intensely and they go kind of insane at the 16 min mark. But really, the whole effect isn't the same unless you listen to the whole thing :)

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    I'm with Iruka, I don't have the patience for the sort of maybe-we're-going-to-kinda-rock-or-maybe-not Pink Floyd-type antics.

If I want rockin' I want it comin' up the hell right now!

<this is where a Youtube link for Iggy and The Stooges performing Search and Destroy at Michigan Palace should go, only I'm not going to because I can't tell if the grainy photo for it contains pubic hair or not>

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Boy, I sure do love it when my friends call me and waste an hour of my phone time asking me to look up shit for their video game. Especially when they also have internet and I'm busy.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Happy Late Birthday Cake, 25 is a good year. I'm sure of it.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Boy, I sure do love it when my friends call me and waste an hour of my phone time asking me to look up shit for their video game. Especially when they also have internet and I'm busy.

that's what the "end call" button is for

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, no kidding. I'm just a pussy that way.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm with Iruka, I don't have the patience for the sort of maybe-we're-going-to-kinda-rock-or-maybe-not Pink Floyd-type antics.

If I want rockin' I want it comin' up the hell right now!

<this is where a Youtube link for Iggy and The Stooges performing Search and Destroy at Michigan Palace should go, only I'm not going to because I can't tell if the grainy photo for it contains pubic hair or not>

If you can learn to have it, its patience well worth getting.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Due to shortages, my patience usage is limited exclusively to drawing and stealth action games, sorry.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    But GYBE is great drawing music

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    But GYBE is great drawing music

And Jeff Watts insists that the best drawing music is really terrible acoustic guitar covers of popular songs on the "Coffeehouse" satellite radio station.

If the fact that he's friggin' amazing at drawing can't get me to swallow that bitter pill, you're not going to get very far with this argument either (no offense).

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    Iruka wrote: »
    With that name I was expecting something rockin, and that is not rockin. Its not bad, but man I was like "Oh this is the build up to what must be the rockin" and then there was none. I was sad.

Oh, you mean the Pink Floyd school of Rock n' Roll Constipation?

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I feel like you guys didn't even listen to the band if you're comparing them to pink floyd.

@bacon: its great because it doesn't steal your focus away from the drawing but its moody enough to (for me anyway) add to it.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited March 2011
    I only make the comparison to Pink Floyd in that there's a lot of buildup with not a lot of the payoff one would expect from such a huge buildup, not their actual sound.

Also, I only listen to music while drawing if I would otherwise be too tired to continue (half-hour long drones don't pep me up, exactly), or I need to drown out other, bigger distractions. Otherwise, I'm with Richard Williams (director of Roger Rabbit) and Milt Kahl (widely considered to be the best draftsman in animation history):

milt%20001.JPG
    milt%20002.JPG
    milt%20003.JPG
    milt%20004.JPG

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Eh... i guess it depends on the album, and/or song, but usually the buildups are totally worth it imo.

Also I can't not listen to music. My brain needs 3 things to focus on at once or else I get distracted.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited March 2011
    I have low tolerance for long build ups, unless its techno. Really depends on my mood, though.

I dont listen to music much while working anymore, but with podcasts I dont draw in silence. My headphones are a good cue for me that I have a job to do, half the time I'm toning it out. If I'm in a quiet room just at a computer, I'm probably going to browse and think to myself. Really the music is to shut my internal monologue off and focus on whats in front of my face.

Figure drawing is maybe the one exception where quiet is preferable, only because I then need my internal monologue to focus on committing new facts to memory, and that involves some talking.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    My music is getting stale. I occasionally find new stuff by listening to random stuff on 8tracks.com, but beyond that I am out of ideas.

I don't even know what kind of electronic music I like. There's like 20 different types.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Also I can't not listen to music. My brain needs 3 things to focus on at once or else I get distracted.

I would suggest that you're distracted regardless; only with less going on, you've got more brainpower available to become aware of just how distracted you are by default, at all times. If you develop the ability to push past that and become focused on one single thing, your chances of being effective at that one single thing is greatly increased. This is basically the principle behind zen meditation- developing the ability to have a single-minded focus, rather than letting your brain flit around randomly to no constructive purpose.

I know when I'm dedicating my time to doing a drawing, with no distractions, doing my utmost to ensure things are correct and make sense, it very quickly becomes apparent that 1/3rd of a brain just wouldn't be enough to get the job done- shit, most of the time it feels I'd need a brain and a half to just be decent.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Wow, it's depressing going back and finding sketches from years ago that are better than what you can currently do. :(

Flay on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I would suggest that you're distracted regardless; only with less going on, you've got more brainpower available to become aware of just how distracted you are by default, at all times. If you develop the ability to push past that and become focused on one single thing, your chances of being effective at that one single thing is greatly increased. This is basically the principle behind zen meditation- developing the ability to have a single-minded focus, rather than letting your brain flit around randomly to no constructive purpose.

I know when I'm dedicating my time to doing a drawing, with no distractions, doing my utmost to ensure things are correct and make sense, it very quickly becomes apparent that 1/3rd of a brain just wouldn't be enough to get the job done- shit, most of the time it feels I'd need a brain and a half to just be decent.

Music become background noise which gets mostly tuned out- its not as if my brain is broken into 3rds of focus, its probably more along the lines 95-3-2%

But i've been this way forever. I listen to music while i read books and study for exams as well and i usually just read over things twice and I've got it.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited March 2011
    I used to listen to music all the time when I was drawing, and thought nothing of it. But once I stopped listening to drawing I found myself having a much easier time to concentrate, even though I thought I was concentrating fine beforehand. Now I need silence to work properly.

Flay on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    For me, at least, When it comes to coloring or really rough sketching for ideas, I really like having the music. I think I get a little more energy out of it.

Iruka on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Best music to listen to when drawing...RAP MUSIIIC KHED!

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Man I got blue dots all over this forum, its actually kinda counter productive at this point.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Oh man I had forgotten how great this themesong was:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJbEV3OcaGU

I can't even remember anything else about the show. I think they also did the Godzilla animated series?

Flay on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I too like music
    most kinds
    music is good
    it can lower the pain you feel by quite a bit

Tam on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You guys need to keep posting cus it's another one of those nights :/. I tried playing on that g&t minecraft server but they are kind of dicks a bit

wakkawa on
This discussion has been closed.