As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Puella Magi Madoka Magica] - Link to Theater Listings for Rebellion at Top of OP

• Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    The show has a really strong undercurrent (especially with Madoka's mom) about manipulating your own image/projecting the right image to people that can see you that is pretty much straight up gaze theory analysis. Okay, fine, that could easily be coincidence!

But then, the teacher discussing language and sexism in Japan in the background of scenes, them going to school in what is literally a panopticon style building where you can see everyone else all the time?

Sorry for c+ping wikipedia, but
    Foucault's argument is that discipline creates "docile bodies", ideal for the new economics, politics and warfare of the modern industrial age - bodies that function in factories, ordered military regiments, and school classrooms. But, to construct docile bodies the disciplinary institutions must be able to (a) constantly observe and record the bodies they control and (b) ensure the internalization of the disciplinary individuality within the bodies being controlled. That is, discipline must come about without excessive force through careful observation, and molding of the bodies into the correct form through this observation. This requires a particular form of institution, exemplified, Foucault argues, by Jeremy Bentham's Panopticon. This architectural model, though it was never adopted by architects according to Bentham's exact blueprint, becomes an important conceptualization of power relations for prison reformers of the 19th Century, and its general principle is a recurring theme in modern prison construction.

The Panopticon was the ultimate realization of a modern disciplinary institution. It allowed for constant observation characterized by an "unequal gaze"; the constant possibility of observation. Perhaps the most important feature of the panopticon was that it was specifically designed so that the prisoner could never be sure whether they were being observed at any moment. The unequal gaze caused the internalization of disciplinary individuality, and the docile body required of its inmates. This means one is less likely to break rules or laws if they believe they are being watched, even if they are not.

Discussion of the characters in the show
    We've got a situation with Kyubei where he can LITERALLY CHOOSE WHO SEES HIM, while being able to see anyone and anywhere he wants. And how does he use this? To manipulate people into contracting with him, and making them feel guilty (internalizing the punishment) if they choose not to contract with him. Kyubei never actively forced anyone to do anything (though he does show Sayaka that he can very literally torture her as much as he wants), but through lies of omission and guilt, and sort of tricking people to get into dangerous situations, he maintains control over this entire system of witches and magical girls.

skyknyt on
    Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    Nathantin wrote: »
    That does highlight how worrying it is that pretty much the only line of defense against Witches is pretty much entirely unorganised and far from working together. Then again, somewhat understandable as they're in competition for a resource to stop themselves from becoming eldritch horrors due to just how screwed up the system is.
    Keep in mind that most girls do not realize the true consequence for neglecting their soul gem. Most are under the impression that they'll either die or just lose their powers.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    skyknyt wrote: »
    The show has a really strong undercurrent (especially with Madoka's mom) about manipulating your own image/projecting the right image to people that can see you that is pretty much straight up gaze theory analysis. Okay, fine, that could easily be coincidence!

But then, the teacher discussing language and sexism in Japan in the background of scenes, them going to school in what is literally a panopticon style building where you can see everyone else all the time?

Sorry for c+ping wikipedia, but
    Foucault's argument is that discipline creates "docile bodies", ideal for the new economics, politics and warfare of the modern industrial age - bodies that function in factories, ordered military regiments, and school classrooms. But, to construct docile bodies the disciplinary institutions must be able to (a) constantly observe and record the bodies they control and (b) ensure the internalization of the disciplinary individuality within the bodies being controlled. That is, discipline must come about without excessive force through careful observation, and molding of the bodies into the correct form through this observation. This requires a particular form of institution, exemplified, Foucault argues, by Jeremy Bentham's Panopticon. This architectural model, though it was never adopted by architects according to Bentham's exact blueprint, becomes an important conceptualization of power relations for prison reformers of the 19th Century, and its general principle is a recurring theme in modern prison construction.

The Panopticon was the ultimate realization of a modern disciplinary institution. It allowed for constant observation characterized by an "unequal gaze"; the constant possibility of observation. Perhaps the most important feature of the panopticon was that it was specifically designed so that the prisoner could never be sure whether they were being observed at any moment. The unequal gaze caused the internalization of disciplinary individuality, and the docile body required of its inmates. This means one is less likely to break rules or laws if they believe they are being watched, even if they are not.

Discussion of the characters in the show
    We've got a situation with Kyubei where he can LITERALLY CHOOSE WHO SEES HIM, while being able to see anyone and anywhere he wants. And how does he use this? To manipulate people into contracting with him, and making them feel guilty (internalizing the punishment) if they choose not to contract with him. Kyubei never actively forced anyone to do anything (though he does show Sayaka that he can very literally torture her as much as he wants), but through lies of omission and guilt, and sort of tricking people to get into dangerous situations, he maintains control over this entire system of witches and magical girls.

My point was that foucalt does not have a monopoly over ideas about people watching each other.
    I hesitate to ascribe influences to an author until I know wether or not that author actually did read those works. It might be they thought it up on their own or were influenced by something else.

The panopticon is compelling. I wonder if it was the writer or the director who is in control of these visuals? Collaboration?
    I find what you are pointing out very interesting, don't get me wrong. I don't think there is anything wrong with analyzing the show in that way.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Oh yeah, absolutely, I sort of drive myself nuts about this because I sort of agree with you - like, did these guys actually read Foucault or are they just on the same themes?

Still, it's hard for me to see the show and not interpret along these lines because there's a lot of the social pressure/punishment aspects in the themes of the show.

skyknyt on
    Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The big bad is called Walpurgisnacht? Oh, you silly Japanese.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Okay, I'm enjoying this show so far.

But, I have a question.

That piano piece on Episode 1 that starts at around 15:19. Is there a title to that piano piece?

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    NathantinNathantin regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't believe so, I think all music used currently has had nothing in the way of a name given aside from the opening theme and the ending theme. Probably will have to wait till a soundtrack of some sort's released to get a possible official name for them.

There may be unofficial names people've given to some of them, but can't say I've encountered that if so.

Nathantin on
  • Options
    aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Likely a reference to the chapters in Faust. There are plenty of references to it in the series, and even passages hidden in the background.

aunsoph on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

You wanna explain why you think being condescending is justifiable?
    This show is very well put together by excellent craftsmen, so it better be a really good one.

I don't see anything particularly silly about calling it after a festival that has been associated with Witches in the past.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walpurgis_Night

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

This show is very well put together by excellent craftsmen, so it better be a really good one.

o_O

Walpurgisnacht = Walpurgis Night, that's a weird name choice, that's all

no need to get butthurt about your silly anime show (or was this an internet humor post? I can't tell)

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

o_O

Walpurgisnacht = Walpurgis Night, that's a weird name choice, that's all

no need to get butthurt about your silly anime show (or was this an internet humor post? I can't tell)

you misunderstand.
    I'm not annoyed because you insulted an anime show. I'm annoyed because you insulted a whole culture based on an anime show and clearly don't find it to be a big deal.
    So basically, I have a problem with you, as a person, being inconsiderate in general. Which you just did again, btw.
    I'm sure you'll dismiss me as one of those people just because this happens to be an anime thread. Don't you worry though! If you hold the same generalised attitude about anything else I'll be just as annoyed then too. It's the attitude that's annoying you see. Not what it is directed at.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Well you know those silly Japanese. Always making silly animated series. Some of us here eat that silly shit up.

Anyways... the Walpurgisnacht name wasn't chosen on a willy-nilly, especially when you're aware of the festival's older meaning. It's also one of several references to Faust, which the series' basic premise is faintly reminiscent of. It's not necessarily a super deep connection there, no, but the show stands on its own legs and is a pretty good watch if you can get past the cutesy style. Give it a shot and watch some of it if you're willing to set aside some preconceptions about the genre.

aunsoph on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It wasn't that he found the name dumb. I don't care about that at all. It was the line "Oh those silly japanese." I hate that shit. I hate it about anything. Oh china! Oh Europe! Oh america!
    It's stereotyping in general.

I want to be clear on this because a lot of the time that I point out an incident of stereotyping someone tries to link it to the specific topic it is taking place in, when that isn't even the point.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Episode 10 and so forth:
    Love the theories being churned out and the enlightening thoughts regarding the cyclical nature of the show. The one thought I'd like to bring to the table is that WPN =/= Homura. If we're still on track with Science blended with Spiritual thought, wouldn't it be illogical that both Homura and WPN are occupying the same space at the same time? Then again, my theory might be biased in that I want Homura to come out on top.

kfrooster on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    My point was that foucalt does not have a monopoly over ideas about people watching each other.
    I hesitate to ascribe influences to an author until I know wether or not that author actually did read those works. It might be they thought it up on their own or were influenced by something else.

The panopticon is compelling. I wonder if it was the writer or the director who is in control of these visuals? Collaboration?
    I find what you are pointing out very interesting, don't get me wrong. I don't think there is anything wrong with analyzing the show in that way.

This really makes me want to tweet him or something and try asking if the school is intentionally a panopticon, or if that's just one of those wacky things that happened when the art team got a hold of it and decided to do something cool.

skyknyt on
    Tycho wrote:
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The students seem fully aware of the glass walls. I think the prisoners need to not be aware of being watched in order to make it a Panopticon.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Isn't the principle of a panopticon more about the constant possibility of observation on all sides when it gets down to it, the knowledge of that feeding the fear/wariness of the system? While the general model tends to include a central administrative hub or observing post that accomodates one-way observation I think that's only part of it rather than the crux of it... couldn't say. The concept's an interesting one but have only barely touched on it. Will have to look into it in a fuller capacity sometime.

Basically what I was trying to get across is that my impression is that the panopticon is about making those within conscious that they -are- being watched, even if they're not. Could have been wrongfooted somewhere and got that completely wrong, though.

Nathantin on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's more the administration having seeming impossible omnipotence. So not knowing when you are being watched is kind of the central idea.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Okay. My only prediction for this series is a 'tang' ending. This train wreck cannot be resolved in a happy fashion.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    It's more the administration having seeming impossible omnipotence. So not knowing when you are being watched is kind of the central idea.

Yes, the actual observer is almost superfluous the actual system, which is just convincing you that you could be watched at any time, and thus behave as if you're watched all the time.

skyknyt on
    Tycho wrote:
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I didn't really think of any deeper meaning to it, but I was also really amused by the strange architecture. The technology level is odd as well, and it's actually more interesting because they not only never explain it, they not only never even bring it up, but they never even bring up that they're not talking about it.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I didn't really think of any deeper meaning to it, but I was also really amused by the strange architecture. The technology level is odd as well, and it's actually more interesting because they not only never explain it, they not only never even bring it up, but they never even bring up that they're not talking about it.

I just chalked all of that up to the series happening in the near future. It'd make sense for the characters to not be acting like their current level of technology is anything special.

aunsoph on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Right. But usually they would either flat out give some exposition narration, have Homura ask questions about things since she's new to town, or have to do a history report or something and explain it. When the setting is different from modern day, they tend to make a point of explaining how and why - or make a point of clarifying they're not going to explain anything.

It's another neat little twist on how the show is set up to look like an incredibly standard series, but does everything different past the setup.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It doesn't seem that advanced. They have a lot of the stuff there right now, it's just expensive.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    kfroosterkfrooster Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So in the midst of trying to find a sig for a Homura theme, I ran into this gem.
    super_homura_by_rouzille-d3bjapg.jpg

Spoilered for huge.

And I guess here's the inspiration for a comparison.
    1552999174_b95932f05d.jpg

kfrooster on
  • Options
    Steel-AngelSteel-Angel Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Another revealing magazine article about the final episodes:
    >メガミマガジンのインタビュー
    Megami magazine interview

>・(フォワードに載ってたキービジュアルは)本編とは無関係。単なるファ
    ンサービス
    - The key visual in the foreword has no relation to the actual story. It's simply fanservice.

>・本編で5人揃うことはありえない
    - It's impossible for the five girls to be together in the actual story. (the five girls can't all be Puella Magi at once in the current time loop)

>・ラストはかなりショッキングなものになる
    - The finale is fairly shocking

>・まどか以外は死ぬのが前提だった
    - People other than Madoka dying is a given.

>・さやかは初期段階で救いのないことは決まっていた
    - It's preordained that Sayaka can't be saved from the start.

>・さやかやほむらとの別れがまどかを成長させるまたそれぞれ別れのイ
    ベントを用意
    - The parting from Sayaka and Homura forces Madoka to grow up, also be set for each girl's parting

>・まどかの願いは奇跡とかそういうものではない。この作品で奇跡は否

- Madoka's wish isn't something like a miracle. Miracles are rejected in this work.

>・続編の予定は考えていない
    - No plans for a sequel

My thoughts below:
    1. Everything in the OP is completely useless for speculation save the lyrics to the song.
    2. We already knew this, seeing as how three are dead already.
    3. There was an earlier interview with the director where he stated that no character that murders someone can have a happy ending, so this means Sayaka's fucked for sure. The others are probably safe, Kyouko might be iffy since she let familiars run wild to harvest them for grief seeds.
    4. oh god homuhomu is going to die ;_;
    5. No sparkles and rainbows, but I would be disappointed if we had one.

My predicted ending with Homura finally beating the Walpurgis and pleading with Madoka to break the cycle by shattering her soul gem looks all the more likely.

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    >メガミマガジンのインタビュー

ンサービス
    - The key visual in the foreword has no relation to the actual story. It's simply fanservice.

>・本編で5人揃うことはありえない
    - It's impossible for the five girls to be together in the actual story. (the five girls can't all be Puella Magi at once in the current time loop)

>・ラストはかなりショッキングなものになる

>・まどか以外は死ぬのが前提だった

ベントを用意
    - The parting from Sayaka and Homura forces Madoka to grow up, also be set for each girl's parting

- Madoka's wish isn't something like a miracle. Miracles are rejected in this work.

>・続編の予定は考えていない
    - No plans for a sequel

My thoughts below:
    1. Everything in the OP is completely useless for speculation save the lyrics to the song.
    3. There was an earlier interview with the director where he stated that no character that murders someone can have a happy ending, so this means Sayaka's fucked for sure. The others are probably safe, Kyouko might be iffy since she let familiars run wild to harvest them for grief seeds.

My predicted ending with Homura finally beating the Walpurgis and pleading with Madoka to break the cycle by shattering her soul gem looks all the more likely.
    6. The writers have lied in the past, rendering this all moot.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    >メガミマガジンのインタビュー

ンサービス

>・本編で5人揃うことはありえない

>・ラストはかなりショッキングなものになる

>・まどか以外は死ぬのが前提だった

ベントを用意

>・続編の予定は考えていない
    - No plans for a sequel

My thoughts below:

What have they lied about thus far?

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It doesn't seem that advanced. They have a lot of the stuff there right now, it's just expensive.

It's just classy

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    kfrooster wrote: »
    So in the midst of trying to find a sig for a Homura theme, I ran into this gem.
    super_homura_by_rouzille-d3bjapg.jpg

Spoilered for huge.

And I guess here's the inspiration for a comparison.
    1552999174_b95932f05d.jpg

On a vaguely related note just had someone link me to this, the DC part of it features Homura as Batman rather than Superman though. Marvel one's the only one that really made me laugh, possibly because I just don't know the other settings that well or even what Kirigakure refers to. Probably also because it moves away from the preoccupation with yuri the other two have.

I just found Madoka's origin story and Homura's brand of personal ethics amusing.

Also hearing tell of there being something to do with another announcement regarding the delays in airing. Not sure precisely what the nature of it is, think it's just something to do with re-affirming that for the time being it's still delayed indefinitely. Something about not appearing 'on regular broadcast'? Can probably find clearer info on it elsewhere.

Nathantin on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    >メガミマガジンのインタビュー

ンサービス

>・本編で5人揃うことはありえない

>・ラストはかなりショッキングなものになる

>・まどか以外は死ぬのが前提だった

ベントを用意

>・続編の予定は考えていない
    - No plans for a sequel

My thoughts below:

Not really. They had a good reason for last time. It was fully justified and can be treated as an exception.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    avoiding thread due to magazine spoilers, but I wanted to link this

http://illucalab.com/incubator/incubatore.html

addicting game

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Being QB is kinda tough!

skyknyt on
    Tycho wrote:
  • Options
    Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So, uh, when's the next episode scheduled to air anyway?

Lord_Mordja on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So, uh, when's the next episode scheduled to air anyway?

Reportedly they want to try and get the final two episodes on in April sometime, that's the most I've seen about it though.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    PikaPuff wrote: »

addicting game

Addictive, not addicting.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

addicting game

Is it, though?

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/addictive-versus-addicting.aspx

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    TeaSpoon wrote: »

addicting game

Is it, though?

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/addictive-versus-addicting.aspx

Yep.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Your source is a single dictionary.

My source is an article on the addictive-addicting debate written be a grammar expert who, in her research, consulted four dictionaries. In any event, any descriptive dictionary would put addicting down as a participle adjective, seeing how widely spread its use is.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Depressing stuff and spoilers ahoy:
    54185651.jpg
    Panel 1
    Homura: I've crossed through many nights.
    I've seen much despair.

Panel 2
    This time...

Panel 3
    This time I'll...

16409893.jpg
    I'll prove that I can protect you.

53101796.jpg
    Panel 1
    Madoka: Homura-chan!
    Homura-chan, open your eyes! Please, don't die!

Panel 2
    Homura: Mado... ka...?

Panel 3
    Madoka: Thank... thank goodness... Homura-chan...

21176931.jpg
    Panel 1
    Homura: Walpurgis Night is...?
    Madoka: It's been defeated! You won, Homura-chan!

Panel 2
    Madoka: You beat it! Walpurgis Night!

Panel 3
    Homura: I see... I'm glad...

Panel 4
    Madoka: Homura-chan!?

24137715.jpg
    Panel 1
    Madoka: Homura-chan! Pull yourself together!
    Panel 2
    Madoka: Hey... this can be healed with magical power, right? This wound... since you're a magical girl, it'll be completely fine, right!?
    Panel 3
    Homura: Yes... but I can't use magical power...
    Madoka: No... why!
    Panel 4
    Homura: It's fine. If I die as a human and don't turn into a witch, that's what I wanted. Besides...

73139806.jpg
    Homura: My wish... came true. Don't cry, Madoka...

36258752.jpg
    Panel 1
    Homura: Finally... I finally saved you, didn't I? I fulfilled my promise to protect you, didn't I?
    Panel 2
    Madoka: Hey, Homura-chan.
    I'm glad that I became friends with you, Homura-chan. I'm so glad that I was able to save you. I'm still proud of it even now. And that's why I'm truly happy I was able to become a magical girl.

33822142.jpg
    Panel 1
    Homura: I feel the same... I'm proud that I was able to save you. So please, for my sake, don't cry.
    Panel 2
    Homura: My one and only friend...

20537841.jpg
    Panel 1
    Homura: I love... you...
    Panel 2
    Homura: Mado...ka...

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
This discussion has been closed.