As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MINECRAFT] Oh GOD, What have we created?

• Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/mech-fun-war-v1-4-2-slim-minecraft-tdm-ctf-670-740.250/
    Has anyone played around with this server mod yet? Some of us vent people have it setup on a small server right now, but I think some of you more creative people could have some fun with it.

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2011
    Don't you just hate it when you get zombies in the machinery?

Echo on
  • Options
    TKaneTKane Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Echo wrote: »
    Don't you just hate it when you get zombies in the machinery?

I hate it when I get zombies in my underground farm! All those crops, trampled! :shock:

TKane on
    Clicky -> What I'm listening to <- Clicky
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/mech-fun-war-v1-4-2-slim-minecraft-tdm-ctf-670-740.250/
    Has anyone played around with this server mod yet? Some of us vent people have it setup on a small server right now, but I think some of you more creative people could have some fun with it.

Yes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR3mE6p9MEs

We have another battleground around the world tree, too.

Ein on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So, neat little thing I discovered: You can put portal blocks behind ice, and they're invisible behind there, but their particle and lighting effect will extend through. What does that mean? Sweet-ass crystal that starts emitting particle effects when you get close enough!

laput12.jpg

laput13.jpg

It's kinda hard to get an idea of the effect from a static image. I'll get a video in a little bit.

I wish we had, like... spotlight blocks. Something that actually projected light a little farther. It's fucking impossible to light the inside of a space this big without resorting to a billion torches. My placeholder solution is just to cover the roots up with torches for now, but I wish it was just much brighter in here.

laput14.jpg

Anyway, since the crystal's now emitting purple energy particle effects, I figured I'd tuck some portals under the walkways to it, too, so that it looks like maybe energy's being transmitted outward and away from it.

laput15.jpg

There's more library below the center area. Paintings / ladders will help break up the regularity of it later.

laput16.jpg

Ein on
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Holy jeebus that looks amazing. I wish I could build something on that scale :(

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I imagine we'll delete the portal sound on N@W v2.

It would just sound terrible in there all the time.

Duke 2.0 on
    VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    MnemonMnemon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Remarkable! I applaud your efforts, Ein

Mnemon on
  • Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That's a pretty awesome place you have there, Ein!

I've been playing around with the Biosphere mod (which generates spherical worlds interconnected with bridges, each one containing a particular biome with moons floating nearby with valuable resources) and it looks like it'd be pretty awesome on a multiplayer server - problem is that it cannot generate new spheres in multiplayer at the moment.

Anyway, this is what it looks like:

1WqEz.png

3AbFT.png

Shanadeus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Biosphere mod gets cooler if you turn glass off. :P Just replace the data value of the block it roofs with from 20 to 0 - the open feel helps it a lot.

Ein on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Here we go, a video of what I meant about the portal particle effects projecting through ice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G5AlGdVIHg

It's kinda cool. It only does the particle effects when you get close enough, which makes it seem more like the crystal's responding to your presence, anyway. :D

Ein on
  • Options
    D34THROWD34THROW Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ein, I am so abusing that for my SSP worlds. I always look for something epic to stick in the middle of large-scale structures, and you, sir, have given it too me.

EDIT: If you get attached to your creations and/or worlds, I advise against using the Finite Liquids mod. It is a gigantic pain in the ass to chop your structures out of a Finite Liquids map, then re-make the world without Finite Liquids, and THEN stick your shit back into the unmodded world, then manually replace all finite liquids with the appropriate infinite liquids.

Took me over an hour to trim out and fix up less than 4 chunks.

D34THROW on
    Minecraft Nickname - D34THROW

Current Server - None.
    Current Project - Surviving in SSP.
  • Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hey Ein, can I ask what texture pack you're using? It looks pretty damn great.

Euphoriac on
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wow, that Biosphere mod looks awesome.

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Man, I really want to play that biosphere mod on MP.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My server is now back up, and updated. Had issues fixing the server. Unity bites, just FYI.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

It's simple, really. Just have the map generated in SSP, then port the files over to the server's world director.

D34THROW on

Current Server - None.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have to say, one of the most entertaining projects I've undergone has been building a city. Roads, buildings, subways, etc...

Its nice plotting out where to put the library and the hotel and such.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    D34THROW wrote: »

It's simple, really. Just have the map generated in SSP, then port the files over to the server's world director.

For this to work I'd probably have to travel through multiple chunks so they'd be rendered prior to MP, right?

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

For this to work I'd probably have to travel through multiple chunks so they'd be rendered prior to MP, right?

I don't think I understand exactly what you mean.

EDIT: If you mean do you need to walk through the chunks prior to loading them into multiplayer so that the SMP map generator doesn't generate additional chunks, the answer is no, I believe. The biospheres are already present in the regions folder, so they'll load when needed.

D34THROW on

Current Server - None.
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Euphoriac wrote: »
    Hey Ein, can I ask what texture pack you're using? It looks pretty damn great.

Its his own. Hasn't been updated to 1.5 but here is the 1.4 version.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Haha, I was about to ask why I couldn't get the texture pack working, that makes sense.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Just need to add powered tracks and web.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    Just need to add powered tracks and web.

Can always use the Faithful 32x32 or Gerudoku or Steampunk textures (for the 32x version) and default textures (for the 16x version) as placeholders. Not that hard, I don't think, especially if you have that mix-and-match mod manager.

And you know, as much as I hate the default 16x16 Minecraft textures, I find myself loving the Faithful 32x32 pack as much as, if not more than, most of the other packs out there.

Though I hate the sandstone texture. Abso-fucking-lutely hate the default/Faithful sandstone.

D34THROW on

Current Server - None.
  • Options
    Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My server is now back up, and updated. Had issues fixing the server. Unity bites, just FYI.

Thank you. The server has been awesome.

Bryse Eayo on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My current project:

ccube_wip.jpg

So much freaking light gray wool...... and I have four more sides to do after this one too (assuming I skip the bottom, which I probably will). /cry
    ccube_wip2.jpg

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I need help making a call on this.

One giant, three-tiered library below the central crystal?

From above:
    laput18.jpg

From below:
    laput20.jpg

Or section it off into two separate areas with a floor?

From above:
    laput19.jpg

From below:
    laput21.jpg

Ein on
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Three-tier looks at least 50% more epic.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You could also make some kind of glass / tiled floor so that you see all the levels but can walk on each of them.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    kapohokapoho Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My GOD that is sexy work, nicely done once again guys!

kapoho on
  • Options
    FalhurkFalhurk Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So.. I've been looking for a way to turn off the spawn zone "you-can't-build-here" zone. Any help?

Falhurk on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I agree, three-tiers is better.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Falhurk wrote: »
    So.. I've been looking for a way to turn off the spawn zone "you-can't-build-here" zone. Any help?

I was playing with it. Ops can still change things there, but no one else can activate anything, even opening doors. There is a spawn protection setting in the world settings file which I tried setting to zero, but I wasn't able to test whether that changed anything for my players.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I've been out of the loop since Halloween. What server are people building on these days?

Also, Ein, that library is EPIC with three tiers.

And Warlock, outstanding. I look forward to seeing the completed cube. Hope gLadOS doesn't fizzle it after you finish it.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Falhurk wrote: »

I was playing with it. Ops can still change things there, but no one else can activate anything, even opening doors. There is a spawn protection setting in the world settings file which I tried setting to zero, but I wasn't able to test whether that changed anything for my players.

In the server.properties file, set spawn-protection=0

Ein on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    You know what's fucking annoying? Building a circular chamber inside a lava pyramid while it's raining. THE HISSING IS NEAR-CONSTANT. Now that my 4 portals are built in the chamber, I'm never fucking going in there again while it's raining.

D34THROW on

Current Server - None.
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You know what's fucking annoying? Building a circular chamber inside a lava pyramid while it's raining. THE HISSING IS NEAR-CONSTANT. Now that my 4 portals are built in the chamber, I'm never fucking going in there again while it's raining.

What's annoying is taming several wolves and having them all sit in the same general area. My God! At least they finally fixed the multiplayer constant wimpering.

I ended up just ignoring wolves because they are more annoying than useful.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I don't just ignore 'em, I kill 'em. Unless there's sheep around, in which case I'll let them kill the sheep, then do 'em in. Saves a sword whack.

D34THROW on

Current Server - None.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I always tame wolves, then treat them as statuary. Make them sit by entrances to my place, etc., then ignore them.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    ChronocideChronocide Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I haven't played this in yonks and I should have, everything is so different but the urges are all the same.

Chronocide on
This discussion has been closed.