As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play Archive - Still open for business!

• Options
    valgomirvalgomir Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote:
    Honestly, I don't really care about the view count, I like the comments. I enjoy people talking about the game or talking with me, answering questions or getting tips on my playstyle etc...

I really wish more people would comment on my stuff :(

Do you just wish for more comments in general, or longer comments? Because I always have to restrain myself to not post like 3 consecutive comments on your LPs
    like I did back in the days
    But yeah, I rarely get to comment on LPs nowadays; there's so much stuff going on right now, I don't even get to watch LPs right when they are posted. I'll go online for a few minutes and see that you or Hell posted a new set, and I can't watch it for a week or something because I simply don't have the time.
    And I want my comments to be thought-out, not just the typical "LOL AWSUM PART LOL KLYKA YUO RAWK" YouTube comments...

So anyway, LPs.

Regarding the graphical side of VLPs, I don't really care much if an LP is in 480 (or even 360) p, as long as it's entertaining. I mean, look at Hell's CoC:DCotE LP or ... well, basically his older ones. 360p, but OH SO GOOD.
    Also, 720p doesn't necessarily look better than 480. IMO, as long as you can read the on-screen text, it's all A-OK.

Re: 3 months rule
    There ARE good LPs of new games, even if they are rare.
    And Rent, why is it so hard to accept people do LPs for fun, or for the art, or for the people who like them?
    I mean, honestly, why the fuck would anyone do LPs for the watch count? What is the logic behind this? What benefit would I have from knowing that x people watch my LP instead of maybe 20?

• Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    if you honestly think that there are people who LP who do it purely for the art and not for the views you are deluding yourself

notice the operative word: "purely"

yeah, people lp because they like to do it, or advancing the medium or whatever, but at the end of the day a large part of why people who go through the huge fucking hassle that is uploading or screenshotting or whatever an lp is because they want views

it's human fucking nature. it's not bad, it's not something i condemn except when it gets overt like when lping a game right out the gate, but pretending it doesn't exist in every single person with a youtube page or viddler account making a lettuce play is pure delusion

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    I only LP so Rent can talk about my LPs.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    It's nice if you're not the only one who cares about your LP, but there's a difference between wanting to share an experience and being an attention whore, I think.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    It's nice if you're not the only one who cares about your LP, but there's a difference between wanting to share an experience and being joshofalltrades, I think.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I'm joshofalltrades

Look at meeeeeeeeeeee

drinking.jpg

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Is that a clarinet or a beer bottle?

• Options
    it's a beer bottle it's from his vvvvvv lp he decided to camwhore in it like the camwhore he is

i still can't believe i was duped into making him a sig for that

what a duping!!!! the wool was pulled over my eyes!!!!

• Options
    BlainBlain Registered User regular
    Art exists to communicate feelings, experiences, and ideas. Once in a great while, it is something artists need to say only to themselves. But by and large, artists want their works exhibited and experienced. That desire does not make their works "not art".

I think Rent is looking at how much artists want attention for their art as opposed to themselves. Almost everyone has an ego, so they want, or at the very least appreciate, attention for themselves.

Does this help?

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Rent wrote:
    it's a beer bottle it's from his vvvvvv lp he decided to camwhore in it like the camwhore he is

Hahahaha it was actually from my IWBTG LP

You must feel dumb now

It's okay that you are so dumb, don't feel bad

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Also:
    Rent wrote:
    Yo josh your sig needs some pimping

here

sigforjosh1.jpg

sig is clickable, leads to this thread

ed: well if I weren't jailed it would be

Yeah I forced you into it you damn hussy

Coming on to me with your sigs and your avatars, trying to get me in the sack

And then lying to all the other girls and saying I forced myself on you

Well we are through

• Options
    My brain dumbers itself whenever Rent and josh talk to each other.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Oh yeaaaah! My new LP is finally going.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/148033/lets-play-alpha-protocol-i-am-an-awesome-spy.-part-1-set-1/p1

Have no clue how to properly turn that into a URL on the forum.

• Options
    Rent wrote:

Hahahaha it was actually from my IWBTG LP

You must feel dumb now

It's okay that you are so dumb, don't feel bad

damn i forgot which shitty samey lp is which. what a tragedy.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Also:
    Rent wrote:
    Yo josh your sig needs some pimping

here

sigforjosh1.jpg

sig is clickable, leads to this thread

ed: well if I weren't jailed it would be

Yeah I forced you into it you damn hussy

Coming on to me with your sigs and your avatars, trying to get me in the sack

And then lying to all the other girls and saying I forced myself on you

Well we are through

teenpregnant.png

also syphyre you should just leave now it only gets worse from here

then you'll start sayin the catchphrases and start insulting me cause i get super MAD AT VIDEO GAMES and you'll mock me and say im wrong even though i am totally right, i am always right

Rent on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    sometimes rent is so right its wrong

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    teg5511teg5511 Registered User regular
    Rent wrote:
    lettuce play

I lol'd.

• Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    Are you small time backwoods LPers still talking about this stuff like you know what you're talking about in here?

wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Reading LPs of Wild Arms 1 and 3 made me want to play a Wild Arms game but the only other one I have access to is Wild Arms 2.

So I'm gonna play Xenosagas 1-3 because I still have beaten 1 or played 2 or 3. Yeah that sounds good.

Don't blame me, Dark Id's Xenogears LP made me do it.

• Options
    I wish you the best of luck in slogging through Xenosaga 1. Just remember the beauty that is the battle system of Xenosaga 3 awaits you at the end of your travails.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    The thing to remember about the first Xenosaga is that it isn't a video game with abnormally long cutscenes, it's actually an anime that you get to play every once in a while.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    Ok, Metroid Other M arrived, it's working fine. So now I just need to get the recording properly set up and I can start my LP!
    At first I thought about actually editing the cutscenes, basically cutting out all the stupid shit, just leaving the main narrative alive (and turning Samus into a less talky person) but Helloween demanded that "If you LP shit,then you need to LP ALL the shit!". So there you go!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote:
    Ok, Metroid Other M arrived, it's working fine. So now I just need to get the recording properly set up and I can start my LP!
    At first I thought about actually editing the cutscenes, basically cutting out all the stupid shit, just leaving the main narrative alive (and turning Samus into a less talky person) but Helloween demanded that "If you LP shit,then you need to LP ALL the shit!". So there you go!

oh my god you poor poor person

I feel for you.

• Options
    I actually really like and enjoy the game (I played it for 5 hours a year ago).
    So no worries, I'll have a lot of fun.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    BlainBlain Registered User regular
    once your commanding officer approves it

• Options
    Adam and me are bros, he'll approve of anything I want.

Except maybe my Varia suit...

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Syphyre wrote:
    I wish you the best of luck in slogging through Xenosaga 1. Just remember the beauty that is the battle system of Xenosaga 3 awaits you at the end of your travails.

I'm more concerned with slogging through 2, because I've always heard it's the worst one. I did get through almost all of 1 when it came out.

Heh, my last save file is from 5/13/03.

• Options
    A quick test video for my Metroid LP.
    This is the video quality I can get with my setup (and of course a low bitrate to not have to upload for hours.)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ziwHb_xH7A

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Video looks good, and reminds me I should buy other M and play it myself.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    hey so pokecapn and crew got featured in on-disc commentary for the game Gunstringer

I FUCKING TOLD YOU ADUS THAT LPING WAS GONNA BE A MONETIZED THING BUT OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YOU DIDN'T BELIEVE ME

Rent on
  • Options
    TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    Wait people do this for reasons other than making lots of bling bling and getting the biggest e-cred OG balla rollin'? That's silly.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Rent wrote:
    hey so pokecapn and crew got featured in on-disc commentary for the game Gunstringer

I FUCKING TOLD YOU ADUS THAT LPING WAS GONNA BE A MONETIZED THING BUT OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YOU DIDN'T BELIEVE ME
    Wait. what?

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    LP'ers can be made into a promotional tool. It's only a matter of time.

• Options
    heenato wrote:
    Rent wrote:

Wait. what?

One of the guys who developed gunstringer is an sa goon and a big fan of pokecapn I guess, twisted pixel wanted commentary done on their game but realized developer commentary usually sucks so they got pokecapn and crew to lp the game for a commentary track also they got a rifftrax guy

• Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    Rent wrote:

Did I say it wouldn't be? That doesn't sound like something I'd say.

Regardless, that's hardly an example of LPing. They were contacted because of their LP but they're not exactly LPing anything. Also strikes me as kind of an odd choice, because while I do enjoy the Pokecapn LPs, the commentary itself isn't much more than a bunch of people yelling at bad games. I'm curious to see how they do regarding that game, because obviously they can't mock it too harshly. It doesn't look that great either.

• Options
    Tron Evolution LP is now FINISHED.

Started my Metroid: Other M LP here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/148248/lets-play-metroid-other-m-s01-babys-first-metroid#Item_1

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Adus wrote:
    Did I say it wouldn't be? That doesn't sound like something I'd say.
    Adus wrote:
    Tipping 40's have jobs and they record a full week's worth of videos in one day, usually on the weekend. As far as ad revenue and donations go, I doubt they make very much at all. I don't think their videos get more than a few thousand views. People who mostly stick to SA usually have fewer fans and such compared to some people on Youtube who just aim to please the masses by multiple videos a day of crappy mario romhacks. Even if you do find a way to get paid for it the money would probably be shit. I'll be pretty shocked the day someone can live on making LPs and even more shocked if the content they produce isn't awful.

Also why the fuck do you have MoJ in your av/sig?

HAHA OWNED, SON
    Regardless, that's hardly an example of LPing. They were contacted because of their LP but they're not exactly LPing anything. Also strikes me as kind of an odd choice, because while I do enjoy the Pokecapn LPs, the commentary itself isn't much more than a bunch of people yelling at bad games. I'm curious to see how they do regarding that game, because obviously they can't mock it too harshly. It doesn't look that great either.

i thought they were playing the game too. also, kfj, kaz, and medibot all have experience lping actually good games (GOD HAND, Odin Sphere, and any Kirby game, just off the top of my head, respectively, and even in more recent times has pokecapn's lps been more about games he likes than hates

I mean Colors, Unleashed, those were both games pokecapn actually enjoyed playing. and their super recent mario party group lp isnt really of a game series any of them hate

really the only game all of them lpd that was bad and they HATED was was sonic 2006. ofc that was their 'famous' lp but not their only one

• Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    I didn't say there that you couldn't get paid doing it (because I'm aware this is already a thing), just that you couldn't make a living off of it. I'm still pretty sure no one supports themselves on LPs yet. Pokecapn and crew getting contacted to do some commentary on an indie game isn't likely to be purchasing them any luxury cars. Even Supergreatfriend who is doing an entire LP for 1Up probably won't be making much.

Maybe it will happen some day, who knows, but it's certainly not happening now.

I suppose you're right that the majority of things they have LPed have not been things they have hated, but their better ones are when the game is bad or dumb, like 2006 or Pokecapn streaming indie games. I guess that's personal opinion but I wasn't too into the LPs where they were playing "good" games. Mario Party is just different. Competitive stuff is just more interesting in general, especially when things can come out of left field like they do in that series.

Also God Hand is not a good game. How people ever got the impression that it was is still a mystery to me.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I enjoyed it quite a bit. Whether or not it was "good" is not really my decision.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Metroid is off to such an amazing start already, haha.
    Best LP decision I ever made!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg