My indie game is better than yours.
Welcome to the Thread!
Welcome to the Penny Arcade Forum archive of Lets Plays! This thread catalogs Lets Plays made by members of our community (whether it be G&T, SE++, or wherever else), whether the Lets Plays are developed on the forum via threads or hosted elsewhere. If you're unaware, a Lets Play is a documenting (via video, screen shot, and maybe journal keeping) of one's playing of a video game. Sometimes they're funny, sometimes they're informative, and sometimes someone just kicks ass
at the game.
As with all things on the internet, not all productions are of high quality work. While there are no promises for things promoted via this thread, I have been trying to promote an environment of constructive criticism. Be critical, but be nice. As Tube would put it, be excellent to each other.
What this thread is for:
Table of Contents
Thread Rules & Guidelines -- (this post)
Let's Plays from the Internet -- (this post)
PA Forumer Let's Plays -- (second post)
PA Forumer Failed LP's of Note -- (second post)
Tech Support / Advice -- (third post)
PA Forumer Stream Channels -- (third post)
Thread Rules & Guidelines
What this thread is NOT for:
- Asking for co-commentary partners / group commentary. As it may be hard to make this happen, I decided to allow for it here.
- Asking for technical help. Any software / hardware involved in the LP process is up for discussion here.
- As of July, 2013 I'm going to recommend people use Help / Advice for this. You can still ask here but over the time this thread has existed, the help for this sorta thing has been stagnant (relatively speaking). And H/A gets traffic for this sorta thing anyway.
- Going in hand with this, I've axed the tech support section. The times I've tried working on it were never working out anyway.
- Asking for feedback for test videos and post formats. Wanting to gauge interest in an LP is no longer a function of this thread as of Aug. 10th, 2012.
- Providing general feedback, information, and techniques for making an LP and resources used in making LPs. If the latest version of some software or hosting service involved in LP'ing totally botches things in some manner, let us know.
- Getting forumer LP's added to the list, old or new. I only accept completed or nearly-finished submissions. I can and will have biased exceptions.
- Stream channel announcements. Some of our community members operate channels where they play games streaming live to the internet. These individuals are clear to use this thread to announce when they're starting up a session. I'm going to be opening a list in the near future of stream accounts, as these are growing in popularity while also serving the same entertainment value of LPs.
- Discussing LPs from other sources on the web. Because there's some good stuff out there.
- With regard to the list of stuff from beyond the forum; this list is something I'll maintain at my discretion, depending on the general discussion people have about 'em. If I see that something is popular (or just watch something myself), I'll add it.
How the List Upkeep Works:
- Bugging Henroid about updates! I do this on my free time, it's a volunteer service!
- By extension, asking for a subforum for Let's Plays here. After some demand I went to Tube and made the case for having a subforum. He returned to me with an answer of no, but he digs the idea of this thread.
- Discussing any of the LPs in our list; they have their own threads for a reason.
- Despite this rule, PLEASE use some discretion in understanding what necro-posting is. If an LP thread has been lying still for a year or more, it's better you post in this thread rather than resurrect it.
- I'm going to make the point here that nobody here has to like every LP our community produces. However, because we are indeed a community, I expect criticism to be a step above the normal "it sucks" or "it's shit" attitudes. If you're providing negative feedback about someone's LP, be constructive about it and do not argue with the maker. Help your community improve on things, don't just shit all over it. This is not to be confused with language use of your feedback. You don't have to be a Mr. Rogers.
- Newly registered users pimpin' their LP's or accounts. Perspectives have shifted, and the short of it is that new users posting their LPs immediately is frowned upon (it falls under the site-whoring rule, as social-media now makes people think they are important). This is a community project at heart, not a catch-all for any content that comes our way. Having your LP listed here doesn't earn you any prestige with us or the internet. New users asking for listing will be ignored, and I don't recommend registering and immediately making your thread as your first interaction.
- However, new users are not barred from joining in discussion in this thread or any of the listed LPs. The point is to not come to the forum just to promote yourself.
This is something I've had to change a few times over the course of the time of this thread's existence, so it may change in some way other another. The current method (as of November, 2012) is to post here and hope I notice it. PM'ing me will only frustrate me as the Vanilla forum software has a hard-to-keep-track of PM system. Further, to have your LP listed you have to be at least near completion (again, exceptions are at my discretion). If you've proven yourself to have a track record of completing what you set out to do, even incomplete threads will get listed while in progress.
Notable YouTube Channels and Websites
Let's Plays from the Internet
Recommended from the SomethingAwful Lets Play Archive
-- A FANTASTIC, ULTRA, OMEGA LP'er who is eccentric as hell.
-- Hear the thoughts of Freeman as he manages the Resonance Cascade. It updates quite rarely.
-- Not a Lets Play channel necessarily. This is run by slowbeef and Diabetus of Something Awful and offers up commentary on bad LPs out there on the net.
-- The Freelance Astronauts hail from Something Awful, but are branching out with their very own site. The games range from classics like Lemmings, to newer hits like Resident Evil 4, and even horrible homebrew games such as the infamous Ballion.
Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 by pokecapn
Sonic Unleashed by pokecapn
Silent Hill by voidburger
Princess Maker 2 by SynthYellow
Battletoads by Diabetus
Dwarf Fortress (Boatmurdered) by various members of the SA community
Jurassic Park: Trespasser by Research Indicates
Animal Crossing by Chewbot
XCOM by GuavaMoment
Knights of the Old Republic 2 by Scorchy
Mega Man 2 and Mega Man 3 by Oyster (if only for the contests)
Dead to Rights by Diabetus and slowbeef
Ultima 4, 5, and 6, Ultima VII: The Black Gate, Serpent Isle, and Martian Dream by Nakar