As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Prey 2 - It sure doesn't sound like Prey!

12346»

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I've know nothing of Prey 1, cared very little when Prey 2 was announced. From what they just showed, it's the most interesting game shown at E3 so far.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-prey-2/714962

Gameplay footage is up on GT now. Check it out.

This could be the sleeper hit of E3.

Drake on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Looks fun, kind of ugly though surprisingly

Can't wait to see it with more polish

tofu on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That gameplay vid is pretty stupendous, especially if after each mission ends you just get to free roam around the city doing whatever the fuck (which would suggest that before each mission begins you're similarly free roaming around, aka it's a mostly open game like Assassin's Creed). That would be SO. GOOD.

In any case I'm a little worried that the guy you're chasing will stop every time he gets too far from you so that you can catch up, but hopefully that's just one of those "the demo is E3 easy" things. I want there to be a real risk that the guy will get away and that I'll have to track him down again if I don't parkour hard enough.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    That gameplay vid is pretty stupendous, especially if after each mission ends you just get to free roam around the city doing whatever the fuck (which would suggest that before each mission begins you're similarly free roaming around, aka it's a mostly open game like Assassin's Creed). That would be SO. GOOD.

In any case I'm a little worried that the guy you're chasing will stop every time he gets too far from you so that you can catch up, but hopefully that's just one of those "the demo is E3 easy" things. I want there to be a real risk that the guy will get away and that I'll have to track him down again if I don't parkour hard enough.

I seriously doubt the game will let bounties get away, the game will be more scripted than that

tofu on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    tofu wrote: »

I seriously doubt the game will let bounties get away, the game will be more scripted than that

It's a hub-based game with closed side-missions though, right? So for the bounties that aren't story critical, aka the ones you take on just for the extra $$$, couldn't they make it so that you could actually fail?

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Drake wrote: »
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-prey-2/714962

Gameplay footage is up on GT now. Check it out.

This could be the sleeper hit of E3.

That looks like something I'd spend money on. Color me excited.

Igpx407 on
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    That looks fantastic. It's a pretty good realization of what was shown in the trailer.

Can't wait to actually give this a try.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Have they announced a date at all yet?

tofu on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Just some time in 2012, I believe.

Drake on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

It's a hub-based game with closed side-missions though, right? So for the bounties that aren't story critical, aka the ones you take on just for the extra $$$, couldn't they make it so that you could actually fail?

How about for the next generation of games, we don't actually fail a bounty mission until the target leaves town, as long as he's in town, we can track him or her or it down again?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

The problem with letting people fail, is that so many players will just reload their last quicksave.

NotYou on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011

During the demo, the guy said bounties could get away

Sooooooooo

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Olivaw wrote: »

During the demo, the guy said bounties could get away

Sooooooooo

I didn't watch the video with sound on :whistle:

If someone gets away what happens?

tofu on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    They go somewhere they can get a nice slice of pie and a piping hot cup of black coffee.

Drake on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Aliens like caffeine. Also I sleep for one night and miss all the best news

Big Classy on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I had a feeling there was a newer thread here, but I can't find it at the moment. After the "it's dead!" rumours of last month, Bethesda have said that it's not, it's just delayed to bring it up to standard:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-19-prey-2-still-alive
    Prey 2 is still alive, Bethesda has confirmed.

However, the FPS sequel will not launch this year, as planned.

"Development of Prey 2 has not been cancelled but the game will not be released in 2012 as planned," Bethesda said in a statement.

"The delay is due to the fact that game development has not progressed satisfactorily this past year, and the game does not currently meet our quality standards. Prey 2 has shown great promise and we regret disappointing our fans.

"We have made a substantial investment in game development to deliver the experience fans want. We are determined only to release the AAA game that fans rightfully expect, and are unwilling to compromise our quality standards to meet a release schedule."

Last month Prey 2 was reportedly cancelled, with development at Human Head halted by publisher Bethesda.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Rumors are also swirling that Human Head is no longer attached to the project, especially with all the talk of Rune on their facebook page. It's great to hear this alien Blade Runner bounty hunting life simulator is still breathing but all these current events make me =/

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Man, I'd completely missed out on this game's development. Sad to hear about the problems, especially after last year's hype campaign successfully revitalised my interest in the game.

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    Man, I'd completely missed out on this game's development. Sad to hear about the problems, especially after last year's hype campaign successfully revitalised my interest in the game.

There was also the part where all of Human Head's GDC talks were cancelled. So basically they've been running on silent with a tinge of ominous silence since their excellent E3 showing last year.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    NotYou wrote: »

The problem with letting people fail, is that so many players will just reload their last quicksave.

this is why quicksaves, and save states in general (though non-quicksaves can be controlled more easily), are essentially built-in game breaking mechanics

i think they ruin many games.

in many shooters the character's most powerful ability BY FAR is the ability to essentially try going down various timelines, keeping information from all of them, and sticking with the one with the outcome he prefers, i.e. pressing F5

• Options
    AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    More information on the situation

http://www.shacknews.com/article/73417/source-human-head-hasnt-worked-on-prey-2-since-november
    News that Prey 2 had not been cancelled, but rather delayed, was relieving to fans of the original. However, why has there been such secrecy surrounding the project over the last several months?

According to a Shacknews source who asked not to be identified, Human Head was not happy with the terms of its contract with ZeniMax, and deliberately stopped work on the game in November so it could try to negotiate a more favorable deal. While doing that, many on the development team were laid off, with the hope they would be rehired if the contract issue was resolved favorably. The process seemed to be gathering some positive momentum until January when ZeniMax's responses all but stopped, causing some of the laid-off Prey 2 team to wonder if the game would ever see the light of day.

By March 1, the source said, things had progressed a bit, leaving the Prey 2 team hopeful that they would return to work soon. But that quickly soured the following day. The source could provide no further first-hand details after March 2.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

this is why quicksaves, and save states in general (though non-quicksaves can be controlled more easily), are essentially built-in game breaking mechanics

in many shooters the character's most powerful ability BY FAR is the ability to essentially try going down various timelines, keeping information from all of them, and sticking with the one with the outcome he prefers, i.e. pressing F5

Not really relevant, but after thinking about it I don't think I've ever done this (for failing things that don't result in a game-over I mean, obviously I don't quit playing a game after I die)

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular

I would love for someone to actually turn save states into a game mechanic, like some kind of quantum device that lets you explore different realities until you get it right.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular

Eh, not sure if I agree. It can be a bad thing, when it's used to avoid having to do proper level balancing (but then, I feel regenerating health is even more guilty of this), but at the end of the day it's a choice. It's my game, I choose how I want to play it; some people skip cinematics, others cheese save states because they like hoarding ammo and kits, others use cheats. Who cares, it's a game.
    Plus, it's functionally no different to Sands of Time or Braid's time rewind, or Super Mario Galaxy's "here, take this if you want to bypass this section". Less elegant, but it achieves the same result, and people've almost universally praised those features.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    http://www.aliennoire.com/

From the page source:

Header
    <meta name="keywords" content="Prey, Prey2, Prey 2, FPS, Bethesda Softworks, Human Head Studios, Alien Noire" />

Countdown until scripted date
    $(function(){
    Countdown(new Date("Mar 1 2013 18:00:00"));
    });

Some weird comment at the bottom
    <!-- Tommy needs your help. -->

This shit is alive, baby!

Suriko on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DujqXFa23aRM&ei=Ef8MUa6FOYGQ0AW414CADQ&usg=AFQjCNEjpt-u3ZnlXy-eVpQtqsA6AO-M5A

Edit: its fry hyperventilating. Sucks only having a phone to browse :(

Big Classy on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Fuck yes, was just talking about how shitty it was we would probably never get this because we havent heard from it in so long. So happy I am wrong.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Ooh. I had written this one off.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Oh...so this is still actually getting made.

Cool.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    necro thread for a necro game

if this actually comes out and is anything like what they were talking about then that will be awesome.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    If it looks anything like the amazing trailer they did I will be all over it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h2TkpFEsn8

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    My dreams had better not be shattered again.