As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Older Skype (SOLVED)

flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Just downloaded the newest version of skype for mac (5.0), and lordy it is so bad

a lot of people on This site said that they just re-downloaded the older version. Can I even do that?

It would be a dream within a dream if I could, cuz the old version was like candy and ice cream and this new thing is like a pile of rancid pig snot

flowerhoney on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just downloaded the newest version of skype for mac (5.0), and lordy it is so bad

a lot of people on This site said that they just re-downloaded the older version. Can I even do that?

It would be a dream within a dream if I could, cuz the old version was like candy and ice cream and this new thing is like a pile of rancid pig snot

What are your issues? It works perfectly on mine.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I just dont like the interface, everything feels clunky and weird

Like, I cant keep the video window on top no matter what I'm doing, chatting is awkward (the text box is so little!), I dont like the way the video is and how things pop out, I cant see my list of contact while in the video chat, etc

flowerhoney on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I just dont like the interface, everything feels clunky and weird

Like, I cant keep the video window on top no matter what I'm doing, chatting is awkward (the text box is so little!), I dont like the way the video is and how things pop out, I cant see my list of contact while in the video chat, etc

Isn't the point of Skype to talk and not type?

Here you go...

http://mac.oldapps.com/skype.php

Esh on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    yaaaay thanks esh!!

Sometimes you want to do both! I know, it seems silly, I just dont like the new version

flowerhoney on
  • Options
    grendlegrendle Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sweet Merciful Christ Skype five is un-useable. It is so clunky and ugly, and insists on taking up the whole screen. I went back to 2.8 in a day.

grendle on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    grendle wrote: »
    Sweet Merciful Christ Skype five is un-useable. It is so clunky and ugly, and insists on taking up the whole screen. I went back to 2.8 in a day.

Are we using the same Skype 5? Because mine doesn't even take up a 1/4 of the screen if I don't want it to.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Esh maybe you got the super sweet version, its like the golden ticket from charlie and the chocolate factory, there are only 5 in the whole world but everyone else just got a shitty candy bar

flowerhoney on
  • Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Esh wrote: »
    grendle wrote: »

Are we using the same Skype 5? Because mine doesn't even take up a 1/4 of the screen if I don't want it to.
    I have Skype 5, and you can fix that issue (I believe this goes for Macs as well as PCs) by going to View > Compact View. Bam, no more problem. I always use Compact View in any version of Skype (since 90% of the time when they update they think you want to see that view for some stupid reason). So if that's your reason for not updating, you can try it again! (But if you're really still using 2.8 I bet you have more issues than just that... I thought the final version of 3.x was stable and nice and generally improved over 2.x?)

HOWEVER, Skype 5 does have some serious usability issues like how difficult it is to regain access the text input box while in a video call with someone (on PC, at least). No fix for that, as far as I know, I'm afraid. I don't remember the specifics, but heaven forbid I wish to link someone to something while I'm in a video chat with them. There's also an issue that's been ongoing since... Skype 4? I think 3.x was before they changed the way video works. Anyway, unless this has been fixed recently, if you tell it to open video in a separate window, which always used to work fine and dandy and was something I used all the time with "always on top," said window has a tendency to randomly just... disappear in the middle of your call and snap back to the text window. You can go and get it back, but it happens ALL THE TIME if you use video for more than an hour at a time (like I used to until my fiancé and I were in the same place, and may have to use it again). Super-irritating.

Essee on