As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nintendo 3DS Thread: Out EVERYWHERE now! Friend Code extravaganza top of page one.

• Alex Atkin UKAlex Atkin UK Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just added everyone from the friend roster + Rhesus Positive, if anyone wants to add me back 1118-0213-2138.

I hope Nintendo increase the nickname and message length at some point, they are insanely short. I mean 10 characters for a nick name? I thought 16 characters was about standard. They really didn't think this through as with 100 friends it would be unmanageable with such short names.

Alex Atkin UK on
    3DS Code: 1118 0213 2138 Pokemon Black: 3997 6322 9891
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    90% of your list is a complaint against the DS as well. Every post you make applies equally to the first year of the DS, in nearly every way.

If you thought the DS felt like a rethread of the N64 and that the games that came out got away from what made the DS special... I can't really help you. But I wish you every bit of enjoyment with your 3DS and isn't that really what matters?

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I can't find anything about that Buy A Game Get One at 50% Off deal at Toys R Us. Is that not happening?

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    David_T wrote: »
    90% of your list is a complaint against the DS as well. Every post you make applies equally to the first year of the DS, in nearly every way.

If you thought the DS felt like a rethread of the N64 and that the games that came out got away from what made the DS special... I can't really help you. But I wish you every bit of enjoyment with your 3DS and isn't that really what matters?

And here's another one!
    If you think the 3DS feels like a retread of the N64 and that the games that are coming out get away from what made the DS special... I can't really help you. But I wish you every bit of enjoyment with your old DS and isn't that really what matters?

Or how about that list of horrible N64 retreads the DS got:
    [strike]Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.[/strike] A Zelda game.
    [strike]Star Fox 64.[/strike] A Star Fox game.
    [strike]Paper Mario.[/strike] A Mario RPG.
    Mario Kart.
    Ridge Racer.
    [strike]Pilotwings.[/strike] A Kirby game.
    Animal Crossing.
    Puzzle Bobble.
    Rayman.
    [strike]A 3D Mario platformer.[/strike] Mario 64.

Horror of horrors, it turns out the DS was exactly the same as N64! Nothing to be excited about at all.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I can't find anything about that Buy A Game Get One at 50% Off deal at Toys R Us. Is that not happening?

Wait till tomorrow's flyer comes out, as long as you can find it on the flyer section of their website you don't need the physical copy. Also I'm going to have BB price match TRU's deal and stack it with their 10 dollar gift card with purchase of 2 3DS games deal. You can do that right?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Wait till tomorrow's flyer comes out, as long as you can find it on the flyer section of their website you don't need the physical copy. Also I'm going to have BB price match TRU's deal and stack it with their 10 dollar gift card with purchase of 2 3DS games deal. You can do that right?

I get my Sunday circulars a day early, so yes, it's front and center in TRU's ad this week. I don't remember if it's all week or just Sunday, though, so check around tomorrow. You will have varying degrees of success getting it price-matched elsewhere -- it should be pretty easy, but it all depends on what manager you talk to. And you typically won't be able to double-dip on deals; e.g., if Best Buy honors the TRU deal, they're not going to give you their deal on top of it.

I'm happy enough with Amazon giving me the two promos ($10 credit on SSFIV, plus $10 off a second 3DS game), though I'll wait to see if any different games get added to the eligible list.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If you think the 3DS feels like a retread of the N64 and that the games that are coming out get away from what made the DS special... I can't really help you. But I wish you every bit of enjoyment with your old DS and isn't that really what matters?

I don't even see how that works. But you obviously have more of an interest in defending the 3DS from my lack of interest in the games than I have in defending my lack of interest in the games. Probably because of my lack of interest.

I am looking forward to Paper Mario, though. That seems like it could have the potential to live up to both the 3D and DS part of the 3DS.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Anyone considering Ridge Racer? Even though it's kind of "Ridge Racer Remix" of previous games (for better or worse), apparently the 3D effect is among the best of the launch games. I've never been a huge racing fanatic but I do enjoy arcadey racing games so I'm seriously considering it.

slash000 on
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    AR games are the bomb. Face Raiders is the bomb. I hope the game mechanics are able to expand beyond 'shoot this thing', though

Jintor on
  • GhostKidGhostKid Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    David_T-

I don't understand the point made about a game console's graphics being indicative of whether or not it's suited towards 3d, touch screen or stylus based play. I also don't think that all games need to be jam packed with 3d, touch screen, or stylus based play on the 3DS. Dragon Quest IX could have easily have been done on any other console. It doesn't really feature any truly integral DS designs but it was one of the best games I'd played on the system. If we got a new Dragon Quest on the 3DS and it didn't feature anything other than awesome gameplay I would still be a happy camper.

Also the list of games you've posted as to why you're getting an N64ish vibe. Dude, you basically posted Nintendo IP and game series' that span several consoles and handhelds life. I could just as easily say that I get a (fill in your console of choice) vibe and it would still be pretty accurate.

That said, you've seemed to have made up your mind on what you think of the 3ds and what it's capable of. I was an early adopter on the DS and then sold it within a year. I wasn't convinced. Then I picked up a DS lite along with New Super Mario Bros (OMG SNES VIBE!.. sorry.:P) and came back to what I felt like was a great catalog of games. Anyways. My point is this. You will be swayed. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow. But someday. Nintendo always wins.

GhostKid on
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So... anyone in line on the East Coast for Gamestop? If so how are the lines?

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tomorrow... grr, too far away!

Anyways, stumbled on this tonight:
    http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/26/fallon-gets-his-adult-female-face-blown-away-during-3ds-demo-o/

Reggie on Jimmy Falon showing off the AR stuff. This was the best part:
    gamjimmyfallon3ds530.jpg
    (sorry for the stupid play button on there, that's joystiq's picture :P)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Outside of (IMO) Wii Sports and Super Mario World, I'm hard-pressed to come up with any launch-window titles that screamed "must-have." Systems only really get good after they've had time to flex; in the DS's case, I legitimately considered it a joke until about a year in, when the combination of Canvas Curse, Meteos, Advance Wars, and Nintendogs (plus I forget if Dawn of Sorrow came out or we just saw an E3 video of it) all hit in the span of a few months, and it was bonertown from there on in.

I can totally understand someone not feeling the launch-window titles, but on the flip side, I think you have to acknowledge that launch-window titles are almost never the games that end up being console-defining experiences. Buying anything at launch is always under the pretense of "paying for potential." Smart buyers wait until there's enough games definitely in the pipe or on the shelves to jump in, but sometimes gamblers don't always think with their brains. :)

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited March 2011
    About Ridge Racer..

I just picked it up earlier tonight while I paid off a few other pre-orders. I've been playing through the DS version of Ridge Racer and thought it was a fun enough game. I guess it just comes down to whether you're a fan of the series in general. Definitely an arcade racer. I'm most looking forward to the graphical overhaul (compared to the DS release) and the spot pass ghost racer transfer is kind of a fun idea. Wishing it would have had online multiplayer though.

I really don't get why so many people are shitting on the graphics for that game. I can see a few weak textures in screen shots, but is that really what you're focusing on when you're trying to pass the bastard in front of you whilst in the zone?

GhostKid on
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, last minute decision.

Ghost Recon Shadow Wars, or Dissidia Duodecim? (Not 3DS I know)

Zerokku on
    edited March 2011
    GhostKid wrote: »
    David_T-

I don't understand the point made about a game console's graphics being indicative of whether or not it's suited towards 3d, touch screen or stylus based play.

I don't think I made that point. That might be why. My point was that a handheld with the amount of power where companies can relatively easy port over XBox or PS2 games is in danger of losing some of the gems that came with being a totally new way of playing games. Why take the risk of a game that takes full advantage of the DS's unique features if you can just port a game that is already a proven seller?

Take the Metal Gear: Snake Eater game that's coming. If it's an actual game. Wouldn't it be great if it was designed around using all the 3DS features? And wouldn't it be heartbreaking if it turned into another Splinter Cell 3DS?

Right now I'm not going to get a 3DS because there aren't any games I'm interested in. But that's also because I already have a DS that I love and have a lot of games for. So I'm not in any way interested in the 3DS not getting good games. If I was, it wouldn't be a worry for me. I want this to be good. I'm just not yet convinced that it will.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Goodfella2487Goodfella2487 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Zerokku wrote: »
    So, last minute decision.

Ghost Recon Shadow Wars, or Dissidia Duodecim? (Not 3DS I know)

This isn't even a debate. DD.

Goodfella2487 on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Does Gamestop happen to be doing midnight launches? Because the one I preordered from is like 5 minutes away and I could easily drive over there in an hour.

jothki on
    edited March 2011
    jothki wrote: »
    Does Gamestop happen to be doing midnight launches? Because the one I preordered from is like 5 minutes away and I could easily drive over there in an hour.

Per store basis. Call em up?

Zerokku on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's going to have a Paper Mario game, of course it is going to be good.

I'm bored so I'm going to try hitting up a 24 hour walmart that's fifteen minutes away.

I've had mixed success with this over the years so let's see!

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited March 2011
    Damn it, I wish I could try DS mode at least once before I buy the 3DS. If the resolution (both upscaled and 1:1) is good enough for me, I'd trade my DSi in. I don't have that much DSiWare anyways. But if Its too blurry/small, then I'd rather keep my DSi around for DS games.

Zerokku on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Turns out their website has it under events. My store won't be open until 9:00.

jothki on
    edited March 2011

Turns out their website has it under events. My store won't be open until 9:00.

Call anyways. My store isn't listed, but we're doing one anyways.

Zerokku on
    edited March 2011
    I don't think I made that point. That might be why.
    My bad. Sorry if I misread into anything you were saying.

My thoughts on the ports are this. It doesn't take much to make a great game on a console a great game on the 3DS. Just a little love from the developers. SSF4 as a port is awesome. They hit a few things exclusive to the 3DS, "lite" controls on the touch screen, a spot pass game mode and a 3D over the shoulder view. Nothing really revolutionary was added but it's freakin' Super Street Fighter 4 on a handheld. That's enough for me. Same thing with Ridge Racer 3D. I'm not expecting to have my world rocked to the core and that's sometimes not a bad thing. I don't mind ports when they're handled respectfully and I think we as gamers are pretty keen on who's trying to milk the cash cow and who's bringing beloved series' to our new system (and often to a new audience.)

One port I would love to see is Duke Nukem 3DS. With multiplayer. I would be a very happy camper.

GhostKid on
  • Alex Atkin UKAlex Atkin UK Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Damn it, I wish I could try DS mode at least once before I buy the 3DS. If the resolution (both upscaled and 1:1) is good enough for me, I'd trade my DSi in. I don't have that much DSiWare anyways. But if Its too blurry/small, then I'd rather keep my DSi around for DS games.

Its taken me some getting used to but if I hadn't read people moaning I would have assumed it was just me imagining it or something.

First impact for me was it looks like composite video, slight ghosting, what you expect when upscaling really. Also there are minor scaling glitches for example on a single row of pixels (eg Pokemon HP bars) but you can only really tell when its moving and I did not find it all that noticeable unless you are looking for it. Oddly, after switching into 1:1 it didn't seem to fix the perception of ghosting so I keep it full screen now. I feel like maybe its some sort of colour space conversion as it does seem to make black a fairly light grey, though only really noticeable on large solid black sections. Switching the brightness down seems to help.

Coming from DS Phat it still feels a huge improvement, I am getting used to it especially if I fight the impulse to hold it too close. Compared to DSi, not sure. Its certainly odd as when looking at things like the Pokemon sprites they seem perfect, no distortion at all, clean black pen lines as always.
    GhostKid wrote: »
    My thoughts on the ports are this. It doesn't take much to make a great game on a console a great game on the 3DS. Just a little love from the developers. SSF4 as a port is awesome. They hit a few things exclusive to the 3DS, "lite" controls on the touch screen, a spot pass game mode and a 3D over the shoulder view. Nothing really revolutionary was added but it's freakin' Super Street Fighter 4 on a handheld. That's enough for me. Same thing with Ridge Racer 3D. I'm not expecting to have my world rocked to the core and that's sometimes not a bad thing. I don't mind ports when they're handled respectfully and I think we as gamers are pretty keen on who's trying to milk the cash cow and who's bringing beloved series' to our new system (and often to a new audience.)

Exactly. The complaints about Rayman seem to be that its not been 3DS enhanced much so its inherently a bad port. I disagree, as long as the frame rate is mostly stable and the controls work alright, how can it be a bad port?

Same with Ridge Racer, the people rating it bad are all people who just do not like Ridge Racer on any console. I have ordered it as I liked the PSP version but hated the poor LCD and uncomfortable controls. Even if it was identical that wouldn't be all bad, as you can't assume everyone getting a 3DS owned a PSP. In fact we know its got several 3DS optimisations, so while its not an original game, you shouldn't rate it poorly just for that reason.

Oh and why do so many people hate on the blue? First thing someone said about mine was how nice it is, Kingfisher blue, nothing remotely Fisher Price about it. It was the Gamecude that looked cheesy, as do many solid coloured plastics. The 3DS sparkly finish is awesome, especially on the blue.

Alex Atkin UK on
    3DS Code: 1118 0213 2138 Pokemon Black: 3997 6322 9891
    edited March 2011

Coming from DS Phat it still feels an improvement, I am getting used to it especially if I fight the impulse to hold it too close. Compared to DSi, not sure. Its certainly odd as when looking at things like the Pokemon sprites they seem perfect, no distortion at all, clean black pen lines as always.

Wonder how Black/White would look in 1:1, since theres some noticeable pixelation with how zoomed in it is in battle scenes.

Zerokku on
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I gte to pick mine up in less than 12 hours. Oh my god excitement!

SirUltimos on
  • MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh god. It's 3DS day. I leave to GameStop in 8 hours. I'm shitting my pajama pants.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • JishianJishian ◥▶◀◤ Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    David_T wrote: »
    Jishian wrote: »
    I dont know how you get the vibe that its a rerelease of an N64 though...

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
    Star Fox 64.
    Paper Mario.
    Mario Kart.
    Ridge Racer.
    Pilotwings.
    Animal Crossing.
    Puzzle Bobble.
    Rayman.
    A 3D Mario platformer.

It's kinda from around there I'm getting it.

A Nintendo console with most of their major franchises represented but also with 3rd party games?

What are they thinking?

Most of those franchises got their start on the SNES or earlier, or aren't even Nintendo titles. Only two of the Nintendo titles are ports/remakes anyway.

I think they should remake more N64 games. Killer Instinct Gold, Blast Corps, San Fransisco Rush, Pokemon Puzzle League. I like games that use buttons. If I want all-touchscreen-only shenanigans, I have an ipad.

Jishian on
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'd expect more GC ports down the line then N64. Although come to think of it the DS didn't get a heck of a lot of N64 ports in the grand scheme of things.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh and why do so many people hate on the blue? First thing someone said about mine was how nice it is, Kingfisher blue, nothing remotely Fisher Price about it. It was the Gamecude that looked cheesy, as do many solid coloured plastics. The 3DS sparkly finish is awesome, especially on the blue.

I think there'd be a bit less hate if the whole thing was blue, maybe?

For me, it just makes sense... the wife wants blue, so I'm getting black so they're easy to tell apart at a glance.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    MarioG wrote: »
    Oh god. It's 3DS day. I leave to GameStop in 8 hours. I'm shitting my pajama pants.

Do you work at a Gamestop, then?

...You poor bastard, if so.

Also, about 13 hours before I head out to get mine. It's the final countdown.

yalborap on
  • MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    yalborap wrote: »

Do you work at a Gamestop, then?

...You poor bastard, if so.

Also, about 13 hours before I head out to get mine. It's the final countdown.

Nah, they just open at 9 and I'm timely as fuck.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • JishianJishian ◥▶◀◤ Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Does Pilotwings have any sort of co-op mode? Even seeing a ghost of someone else in your game while you play near them?

Jishian on
  • Goodfella2487Goodfella2487 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

What's all the excitement for? Cool hardware aside, there isn't a single game at launch that warrants you soiling your pajamas.

Goodfella2487 on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    We now live in a 3D world gentlemen.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I think there'd be a bit less hate if the whole thing was blue, maybe?

For me, it just makes sense... the wife wants blue, so I'm getting black so they're easy to tell apart at a glance.

I don't think its the color gradient so much as the color on the bottom being a bit too bright. If it were more like the blue on the Penny Arcade cup on the top of everyones screen I think it would look a bit better perhaps.

For me, I've just never been one to have really bright handhelds or consoles. I loved my black DSi XL and the black 3DS is definitely going to be what I go for whenever I jump in for a 3DS, especially with the new anti fingerprint coating that they have going.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I am thinking these exact same thoughts

:(

Green on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

What's all the excitement for? Cool hardware aside, there isn't a single game at launch that warrants you soiling your pajamas.

Because its fun to be excited for cool hardware that will undoubtedly get great games eventually? It does a lot of neat stuff and plays all the awesome DS games that are already out? And it wont get a price drop for years?

Wassermelone on
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Is cool new hardware and the fact that there is portable Super Street Fighter IV in 3D not enough?

Hell, just messing around with the 3DS demo with Pilotwings had me a lot more excited about the device. Would you really just say "meh" and become disinterested if someone handed you a 3DS? I should hope not!

Edit: I forget the all important "Super" there.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
This discussion has been closed.